PDA

View Full Version : Miller sitting tonight hot topic on ESPN

BlackMetalNinja
03-02-2010, 01:53 PM
I've had Sportscenter on in the background all morning and they are heavily discussing the Pens/Sabres game tonight and debating whether or not Miller should play. It was even their poll on sportscenter.com this morning. The consensus is that he should be playing to capitalize on his success from the Olympics both in terms of being hot right now to help the Sabres and in terms of NHL exposure and people wanting to see the "rematch" tonight. 71% of the people in the poll said he should play tonight.

Shockingly, only Barry Melrose has said he deserves the night off and the Sabres are better off sitting him tonight.

At any rate, it's odd for ESPN to be talking so much hockey and especially as it relates to the Sabres. I definitely think there is some mileage to be had for the team after Miller's exposure over the last 2 weeks.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I woke up this morning and the Sabres game was featured in the what to watch for tonight which surprised me. The exposure is nice, for sure.

But other than that, ESPN is ******ed if they think Miller should play. He just got back from Vancouver, is tired from playing and suffering from jet lag. Oh and nevermind that the Sabres play tomorrow night against the top team in the East.

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Add in the fact that they are playing a team that Lalime actually seems to play well against. It makes sitting Miller an easy choice.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 02:21 PM
ESPN is ******ed

indeed

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Miller playing makes sense in terms of marketing.

Miller sitting makes sense in terms of hockey strategy.

Maybe if Gary Bettman can design a power play that works for the Sabres, then Lindy Ruff can help market the league.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Miller playing makes sense in terms of marketing.

Miller sitting makes sense in terms of hockey strategy.

Maybe if Gary Bettman can design a power play that works for the Sabres, then Lindy Ruff can help market the league.

Yep - sitting Miller is the best for Miller and the team as we head into the stretch.

Who gives a f*** what the national media wants. It's about what's best for the team.

DMBcrew36
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Why the hell is their a football guy on the hockey segment?!?!?

What a joke. What's next? Barnaby on basketball segments?

Philagape
03-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Anyone who thinks Miller should play for publicity reasons shows just what ESPN is all about.
They don't cover sport. To them it's nothing but a show. To them the NHL is relevant only as much as the public likes it. Unfortunately the NHL has taken on that mentality as well, but how can it not have learned by now that you can't make people like hockey?

Sure, people will watch Olympic hockey, but you know what?
I'll watch World Cup soccer and not give a crap about it the other 3 years.
I'll watch Olympic track or swimming or skiing or bobsledding or frikkin CURLING and not give a crap about it the other 3 years. That's the way it's always been.
The gold medal game was the highest-rated game since ..... 1980. How has the NHL done since 1980?
People watch Olympic hockey for the OLYMPIC part, not the hockey part.

DrGraves
03-02-2010, 03:07 PM
the exposure is nice but this game is not on nationally correct? so what does it matter if he play or not? no one will see it outside buff/pitt

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
the exposure is nice but this game is not on nationally correct? so what does it matter if he play or not? no one will see it outside buff/pitt
Not entirely true. It's the center ice free preview, so a lot of people can see it, if they go far enough down their channel list.

DrGraves
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Not entirely true. It's the center ice free preview, so a lot of people can see it, if they go far enough down their channel list.

I'm sure 99% of people don't know it would be on center ice for free.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm sure 99% of people don't know it would be on center ice for free.

yeah, the NHL did their usual **** job of promoting this, meanwhile everyone and their brother knows that a rerun of Super Bowl XXIX is going to be on NFLN during prime time tonight.

RockStar36
03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Just saw the 6PM Sportscenter...for the first time in my life, I completely agreed with Barry Melrose.

Cleve
03-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, we can probably blame tonight's loss to the Penguins at least partially on the Olympics. This is the sort of thing I feared would happen.

G Wolly
03-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah...

...ESPN mentioned hockey?