PDA

View Full Version : Did you happen to read Sharper's comments on the Cover 2

BILLSROCK1212
03-02-2010, 09:10 PM
He commented on how much harder it is to get INTs in the Cover 2 recently, which helps to explain Donte's lack of INTs. I think Donte is a very talented football player who quietly gets the job done and if surrounded by better talent and coaches will be a stud.

Joe Fo Sho
03-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Tell that to Byrd...

BILLSROCK1212
03-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Tell that to Byrd...
well to expand upon what Sharper said....u dnt get many INTs unless they are thrown your way, so either Byrd is SUPER GOOD or SUPER LUCKY, but it doesn't necessarily mean Whitner is bad...look at Sharper's numbers in the Cover 2....similar to Whitner's and this guy is a potential HOF player

Joe Fo Sho
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
well to expand upon what Sharper said....u dnt get many INTs unless they are thrown your way, so either Byrd is SUPER GOOD or SUPER LUCKY, but it doesn't necessarily mean Whitner is bad...look at Sharper's numbers in the Cover 2....similar to Whitner's and this guy is a potential HOF player

While I agree that Byrd did get some nice bounces/tips, it's hard to get that many INT's just by luck.

I'm not saying that Whitner is bad, I'm just saying that he's not indespensable. Come to think about it, no one on this friggin team is. If we can get something decent for him, whatever.

Jaybird
03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Byrd gets tho picks, from playing in position. He knows where he should be on the field, and he does a great job of reading and reacting

Prov401
03-02-2010, 10:06 PM
I've always supported Donte. I think he is a very good player in this leauge. Absolutely not an 8th overall pick, but still a good safety. I've said all along that I believe he would excel in a different scheme. If he is with us to start the season, it's put up or shut up for Donte, and myself. He is a great tackler, and great in run support. He just gets a bad rap because he plays more like a 2nd-3rd round pick instead of a first. He doesn't get many interceptions. And he makes poor statements on the internet. I allow his football to speak for itself. He is as passionate a Bills player as we have on our roster. He is proud to be a Buffalo Bill. He is a wonderful player and contributor in the community. I truly think he will blossom under this new scheme. We shall see.

OpIv37
03-02-2010, 10:28 PM
He commented on how much harder it is to get INTs in the Cover 2 recently, which helps to explain Donte's lack of INTs. I think Donte is a very talented football player who quietly gets the job done and if surrounded by better talent and coaches will be a stud.

The thing about Whitner is that lack of INT's is only ONE of his problems. He consistently gets beat by TE's, he gets bowled over by larger backs, he takes bad angles on long runs, etc.

PECKERWOOD
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Some people really exaggerate Whitner's flaws, sometimes to the point of making up false criticisms of the guy. For real, since when has Whitner been "bowled" over by larger backs? I can think of one game where this is happened, and he had a separated shoulder that he was fighting off. I'm not saying he is an elite safety, but at least be objective about it, Whitner is great in run support.

JCBills
03-02-2010, 11:15 PM

I don't believe my eyes, Sharper and Whitner's numbers similar?

Sharper is 6th all time for interceptions, averaging about 5 a year.

Donte has 4 picks in 4 years.

OpIv37
03-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Some people really exaggerate Whitner's flaws, sometimes to the point of making up false criticisms of the guy. For real, since when has Whitner been "bowled" over by larger backs? I can think of one game where this is happened, and he had a separated shoulder that he was fighting off. I'm not saying he is an elite safety, but at least be objective about it, Whitner is great in run support.
He got knocked out of the game in jax in 2008 for one. There are plenty of others but that's the one that comes immediately to mind.

He got bowled over at least twice in a different game earlier that season, but I can't remember which game at the moment.

Pinkerton Security
03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I don't believe my eyes, Sharper and Whitner's numbers similar?

Sharper is 6th all time for interceptions, averaging about 5 a year.

Donte has 4 picks in 4 years.

yeaaaahhh idk where that came from lol...

justasportsfan
03-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I thought Wilson had his best year and played better than Whitner.

ParanoidAndroid
03-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't think Sharpers comments exonerate Whitner for his lack of playmaking at all.
It's not a terrible idea but other safeties placed in the same defense have done much better than Whitner. If Whitner was a 4th round pick, we would say he is at least steady, but he was #8 overall....again, not his fault but that doesn't mean he gets a free pass.

ChristopherWalken
03-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I think he works well in loading the box, but his coverage ability is certainly lacking. He does take some horrendous angles on plays.

I remember he also decided to not participate in the shuttle times at the combine. His abilities could have been more obvious had he participated and perhps the Bill FO would have reconsider drafting him.

What we need to remember is that the Bills needed a safety in that draft and having adopted the Cover 2 (blech), the deep secondary became a greater necessity than DL. The Bills also grabbed Ko Simpson and Youboty in this draft as well. We all agree he was mis-valued and taking much too early as the Bills could have had Ngata. IMO, the Bills were certain they could "get by" with the DL they had in place, nurturing the now bust McCargo for the future, and addressed the gaping holes along the back of the secondary. I believe the Bills really targeted Huff and settled with Donte as they couldn't dish the higher 1st round pick to another team.

If we had been able to grab Huff, most of us then would have felt better about the value of the pick, but in the end Whitner > Huff.

So, my point?

Whitner has been serviceable and has stepped in and performed since his first year in the league.

Time to move on? Most definitely as there are younger more talented men that can produce on the roster.

Pinkerton Security
03-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I think he works well in loading the box, but his coverage ability is certainly lacking. He does take some horrendous angles on plays.

I remember he also decided to not participate in the shuttle times at the combine. His abilities could have been more obvious had he participated and perhps the Bill FO would have reconsider drafting him.

What we need to remember is that the Bills needed a safety in that draft and having adopted the Cover 2 (blech), the deep secondary became a greater necessity than DL. The Bills also grabbed Ko Simpson and Youboty in this draft as well. We all agree he was mis-valued and taking much too early as the Bills could have had Ngata. IMO, the Bills were certain they could "get by" with the DL they had in place, nurturing the now bust McCargo for the future, and addressed the gaping holes along the back of the secondary. I believe the Bills really targeted Huff and settled with Donte as they couldn't dish the higher 1st round pick to another team.

If we had been able to grab Huff, most of us then would have felt better about the value of the pick, but in the end Whitner > Huff.

So, my point?

Whitner has been serviceable and has stepped in and performed since his first year in the league.

Time to move on? Most definitely as there are younger more talented men that can produce on the roster.

Please name these other younger, more talented men (other than Byrd).

Griff
03-03-2010, 11:11 AM

Is Wilson younger? He's better.

Pinkerton Security
03-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Is Wilson younger? He's better.

Hes like 4 years older, but yes he def played better last year. I just think it would be beneficial to have both of them around.

ChristopherWalken
03-03-2010, 11:52 AM

And Harris.

JCBills
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
And Harris.

Now Harris is a SS? He saw some time at FS.

George Wilson, a converted WR, has far better football metrics than Donte, who has only one decent season metrically, outplayed him in every aspect.

I'm hoping Donte is dealt and we look safety in the mid-late rounds. Kyle McCarty anyone?

cocamide
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Lucky for us, someone has compiled a complete list of all of Whitner's highlights. Make sure to set aside a dozen seconds or so...

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2et43CNc1yo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

BillsFanInNM
03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
think Donte made that vid himself? We all know he spends enough time on a computer to do it lol.

ChristopherWalken
03-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Now Harris is a SS? He saw some time at FS.

George Wilson, a converted WR, has far better football metrics than Donte, who has only one decent season metrically, outplayed him in every aspect.

I'm hoping Donte is dealt and we look safety in the mid-late rounds. Kyle McCarty anyone?

Yes, he has played FS but he's more suited for SS. Out of 37 starts in 51 game, he played 26 games in college at SS. Has the ability to function at FS, SS, and OLB. And IMO has more natural talent than Whitner.

JCBills
03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes, he has played FS but he's more suited for SS. Out of 37 starts in 51 game, he played 26 games in college at SS. Has the ability to function at FS, SS, and OLB. And IMO has more natural talent than Whitner.

Lol I thought you were talking about Cary Harris, who got game time at FS over Nic.