03-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Rafi Torres is a Sabre.

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2010, 01:30 PM
For Paestch and a 2nd!!

Great deal.

The Spaz
03-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Definitely like this. Brings a bigger body and someone who can score.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Definitely like this. Brings a bigger body and someone who can score.

He's only 6' tall.

Raffi Torres is a UFA after this season and will walk - essentially he's purely a rental. Paetsch is a free agent after this season and would have walked. Pretty much just gave Columbus a 2nd rounder for a mediocre rental.

31pts in 60 games, -8 ... about the same production as a Clark MacArthur or Drew Stafford

CuseJetsFan83
03-03-2010, 01:38 PM
clarke traded to atlanta for picks/tba

Dr. Lecter
03-03-2010, 01:39 PM
3rd and 4th for Mac.

ct bills fan
03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
got him for a 2nd and for somebody that nobody wanted on off of waivers. With 19 goals, he now is our leading goal scorer.

The Spaz
03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
He's only 6' tall.

Raffi Torres is a UFA after this season and will walk - essentially he's purely a rental. Paetsch is a free agent after this season and would have walked. Pretty just just gave Columbus a 2nd rounder for a mediocre rental.

31pts in 60 games, -8 ... about the same production as a Clark MacArthur or Drew Stafford

Yeah and he weighs about 220 lbs. which is what I meant by bigger body.

SabreEleven
03-03-2010, 01:42 PM
so the fax machines DO work at HSBC...

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 01:52 PM
So we trade MacArthur for Torres and a 2nd rounder for a 3rd and 4th

Seems fruitless to me.

ct bills fan
03-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Please .... one more tarde for Corvo or Kaberle.

SabreEleven
03-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Please .... one more tarde for Corvo or Kaberle.

Which tarde do you want to send from them? We have a team of them.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Too bad Darcy couldn't have traded for Stempniak.

rbochan
03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Sabres now have 3 3rd round picks... seems like another trade might be around the corner.

RockStar36
03-03-2010, 02:08 PM
He's only 6' tall.

Raffi Torres is a UFA after this season and will walk - essentially he's purely a rental. Paetsch is a free agent after this season and would have walked. Pretty much just gave Columbus a 2nd rounder for a mediocre rental.

About the same production?

He is already the team's leading goal scorer.

And you wanted Stempniak? Any reason besides 'he is from Buffalo'?

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 02:13 PM

Meh I guess I thought Stempniak was better in St.Louis than he really was.

But look at the stats... Mac and Torres are about the same point-per-game and they both are negative +/- players. Torres is a very slight upgrade because he can bang.

chernobylwraiths
03-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Torres is a very slight upgrade because he can bang.

On a team with very few who can bang and really nobody who can bang AND score, I think it is a lot more than a "very slight" upgrade.

SkateZilla
03-03-2010, 02:17 PM
so the fax machines DO work at HSBC...

its a hoax, a bunch of us at B.Z are hacking their network and sending out proposals using their Fax Lines and letterheads.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
On a team with very few who can bang and really nobody who can bang AND score, I think it is a lot more than a "very slight" upgrade.

I loved Torres as an Oiler... I just hate rentals and I don't know if he's really an 'impact player'

RockStar36
03-03-2010, 02:18 PM

But look at the stats... Mac and Torres are about the same point-per-game and they both are negative +/- players. Torres is a very slight upgrade because he can bang.

Considering the fact that Buffalo is lacking some toughness, it's more than a slight upgrade.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
The real question is... since Columbus was home last night... is Raffi in Buffalo soon enough to suit up for the game tonight? I'm guessing he'll play his first game Friday.

chernobylwraiths
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I loved Torres as an Oiler... I just hate rentals and I don't know if he's really an 'impact player'

We have several rentals on the team now if you are talking about guys who won't be here next year. I am concerned with THIS year's playoffs. He will help a team with precious little toughness. I think he was pretty good in Edmonton's run a few years back.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2010, 02:37 PM
So we trade MacArthur for Torres and a 2nd rounder for a 3rd and 4th

Seems fruitless to me.
Torres is a much better player than MacArthur.

Big hitter, tough, can score goals, been to the finals.

Not a huge move but it is an upgrade.

Philagape
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Championship!

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-03-2010, 03:09 PM

You call Raffi Torres average and then you say you want Stempniak?

rbochan
03-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Torres has more goals than any Sabre.

BlackMetalNinja
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm definitely fine with the moves they made today as I think they are slightly better off than when they started the day. However, I don't think they did enough at all to get this team any further in the postseason than they were going anyways. Still seems like a 1st or 2nd round exit with the current lineup/level of play.

JD
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I can't believe people are really *****ing about bringing in Torres. Being a negative player doesn't matter. Tallinder was garbage last year, what was his +/-? What was it at the beginning of the year with Myers? That seems fruitless.

Ebenezer
03-03-2010, 05:36 PM
So, does this mean that Ennis is in and Torres out to start next year?

G Wolly
03-03-2010, 05:41 PM

Just because our team is located in the city doesn't mean we have to build the team with kids who grew up around here.

DMBcrew36
03-03-2010, 05:50 PM
You call Raffi Torres average and then you say you want Stempniak?

SabreEleven
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Sabres now have 3 3rd round picks... seems like another trade might be around the corner.

Which means more mediocre people to bring in to take the place of other mediocre people but cheaper.

Nighthawk
03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
For Paestch and a 2nd!!

Great deal.

Doc, are you going to be OK now that your boy Paetsch is gone?

clumping platelets
03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Torres >>>>>>>> MacArthur

We got better today

SaviorEdwards
03-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I dont know much about him but the blue jacket boards seem to think they'll miss him.

elltrain22
03-04-2010, 07:36 AM
I can't even begin to tell ya how PO'ed I am at this organization for not bolstering this teams talent. With what we saw from Miller in the Olympics, you'd think we'd do better than Raffi Friggen Torres. This is absolute bs.

DMBcrew36
03-04-2010, 08:07 AM
I can't even begin to tell ya how PO'ed I am at this organization for not bolstering this teams talent. With what we saw from Miller in the Olympics, you'd think we'd do better than Raffi Friggen Torres. This is absolute bs.

I'm warming up to it.

I think back to the Torres I watched in Edmonton, who was pretty damn good. I consider that Torres instantly becomes our highest goal getter - higher than Thomas $7 million Vanek. And he does it all with an edge that our other top 6 forwards don't have.

RockStar36
03-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm warming up to it.

I think back to the Torres I watched in Edmonton, who was pretty damn good. I consider that Torres instantly becomes our highest goal getter - higher than Thomas $7 million Vanek. And he does it all with an edge that our other top 6 forwards don't have.

I'm most familiar with him from when he played in the OHL. I saw him play often in the OHL and I HATED him with a passion. He was one of those players I hated, but would love on my team. I haven't followed him as closely since being in the NHL but I have to assume he is a similar type.

And from what I read before the deadline, he was one of the top targets of several teams.

After last night, I'm pumped to see what he brings. A little fresh blood will do this team some good.

DMBcrew36
03-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm most familiar with him from when he played in the OHL. I saw him play often in the OHL and I HATED him with a passion. He was one of those players I hated, but would love on my team. I haven't followed him as closely since being in the NHL but I have to assume he is a similar type.

And from what I read before the deadline, he was one of the top targets of several teams.

After last night, I'm pumped to see what he brings. A little fresh blood will do this team some good.

Yeah - they certainly could've used him last night. I wonder where he will fit in with line combinations? I'm sure we'll hear about where they had him practicing today.

RockStar36
03-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah - they certainly could've used him last night. I wonder where he will fit in with line combinations? I'm sure we'll hear about where they had him practicing today.

They had him skating with Roy and Pominville.

DMBcrew36
03-04-2010, 12:46 PM
They had him skating with Roy and Pominville.

Hmm... I guess we'll see how it goes.

They have an audio interview and a short video clip from todays practice on the Buffalo News website. Torres is wearing #17.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
During Thursday’s practice, his first as a member of the Sabres, Torres was paired alongside Derek Roy and Jason Pominville. No stranger to the goal-scoring category, currently with 19 scores and 31 points, the winger said he will try to keep it simple until he becomes more comfortable with the system and his new unit.

“Roysie and Pominville are highly skilled, with a lot of speed,” he said. “I want to make sure I’m in the right zone spot and not get lost out there; try and keep my legs under me, and not try and do too much.”
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=520171

BlackMetalNinja
03-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Since this information was already in another thread, I'll go ahead and place it right back with it.

RockStar36
03-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Nice to see reading and common sense are valued skills.