PDA

View Full Version : An RFA to consider...

DraftBoy
03-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Baltimore only tendered him a 1st Round pick, for those that want a sure thing at LT, Gaither is a very young proven NFL LT. Would you give up the 9th pick for him?

ddaryl
03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
How does he grade against the top LT in the draft ?..

You take the BPA at #9. If he's the BPA then that's what we should do.

Joe Fo Sho
03-03-2010, 05:22 PM
If we make an offer, do we give up this year's first or next?

YardRat
03-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I'd rather do a sign and trade and keep the 9th pick.

T-Long
03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Baltimore only tendered him a 1st Round pick, for those that want a sure thing at LT, Gaither is a very young proven NFL LT. Would you give up the 9th pick for him?
But how can we land Clausen if we give up #9?:dance:

BillsWin
03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
In a heart beat DB.

T-Long
03-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I could see it happening, but Baltimore matching the offer sheet, so it would be pointless in the end. All we would be doing is giving Baltimore the market value parameters for him.

Jaybird
03-03-2010, 05:35 PM
you bring up a good point. The can move Oher to LT. he was drafted for the position and played very well there last season

DraftBoy
But how can we land Clausen if we give up #9?:dance:

You and I are going to have issues if we draft Clausen aren't we?

DraftBoy
I could see it happening, but Baltimore matching the offer sheet, so it would be pointless in the end. All we would be doing is giving Baltimore the market value parameters for him.

Remember Baltimore has Oher they can move over to LT if they lose Gaither.

DraftBoy
03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I'd rather do a sign and trade and keep the 9th pick.

Ideally so would I but we have nothing of value to trade them.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-03-2010, 05:40 PM
i would give them our 2nd and then draft dan williams with our 9 pick. no i would not give up our first.

Buddo
03-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I think if you are pretty certain you are going to be taking a LT @ #9, then you have to seriously consider it. It may even be possible to do a deal in respect of swapping picks, so we still get a 1st round pick, and giving up our 2nd rounder.
With a deal like that, you get the best of both worlds, but that might be hard to swing.
The reality is that you balance 'upside,' against an already proven level of ability.
Doing a deal like this, actually takes some of the heat off of maybe feeling the need to make additional moves at the tackle position, as you have actually got at least one guy who is a proven performer. ATM, there's probably a belief that we should be looking at a FA who can at least hold down the RT spot, while our 'new' LT, finds his feet.
While not exactly the same situation, I'm reminded of a few years back, when we were interested in Michael Turner as a RFA. I thought then, that if we could get him for a 2nd round pick, it would have been a good move, but I think AJ Smith decided to hold out for more, and it became a touch too much. That year we took Lynch with the #11 (I think that was the pick).

Pinkerton Security
03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
i would give them our 2nd and then draft dan williams with our 9 pick. no i would not give up our first.

2nd isnt an option...hes an RFA..

i personally would. hes a proven commodity, and if we were to draft a LT anyways, why not go with the proven commodity? plus hes only 23 or something.

scartown
03-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I was very disapointed a few years ago when the Bills didn't try to get him in the supplemental dtaft. He only cost the Ravens a 5th rd pick. Now would I give up the 9th pick for him this year? probably not. He's a good player but I think the Bills can get better value keeping the 9th pick.

SquishDaFish
03-03-2010, 06:40 PM
I would like to see them get him and would rather not be for our first but wouldnt be upset.

Nighthawk
03-03-2010, 06:42 PM
No...I would not give up the #9 pick.

Mahdi
03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
No. Simply because good drafting can get you a OT like Gaither without spending the 9th overall pick.

There are so many good OTs out there that were not high picks. We should just take the BPA at 9 and draft well the rest of the way.

I like Tony Washington in the 3rd or 4th round.

SABURZFAN
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM

absolutely. i'd rather see the Bills shell out money to him than #9 money to an unproven player.

Michael82
03-04-2010, 12:07 AM
I'd first try to do some kind of sign and trade deal. If that won't work out, offer him a whole bunch of money and then give our 1st rounder for a very good, young OT. :up:

acehole
03-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Possibly in a trade down and down seanario.

psubills62
03-07-2010, 12:42 PM
In case anyone is still interested,

After assigning him just a first-round tender, the Ravens are believed to be willing to move restricted free agent LT Jared Gaither.

Gaither would've gotten the first- and third-round tender if the Ravens were truly intent on keeping him. The Ravens want to move Michael Oher to left tackle. The Baltimore Sun suggests four possible destinations for Gaither: San Francisco, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Seattle. Teams targeting Gaither could probably work out a deal for less than the first-round pick.

If we could offer our 2nd rounder plus a lower-round pick (or maybe a conditional one for 2011), I'd love to do this.

ddaryl
03-07-2010, 12:45 PM
In case anyone is still interested,

If we could offer our 2nd rounder plus a lower-round pick (or maybe a conditional one for 2011), I'd love to do this.

heck even if Seattle makes the deal that will improve our odds of one of the top LT's dropping to us at #9..

Michael82
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't know why we wouldn't be in the mix for him. It would be a great pickup!

Buddo
03-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Of all the mistakes Jauron made in his time with the Bills, not taking Oher instead of Maybin, was probably the biggest.

SirMcGee
03-07-2010, 06:34 PM
In a heart beat DB.

No player in the NFL is worth the 9th overall pick unless your name is Peyton Manning or Adrian Peterson. Are you serious? I'd give up a 3rd and a 7th for him but not a top 10 pick.

jdbillsfan
03-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I would. The only thing that concerns me is the injuries. Hopefully he isn't a Jonas Jennings.

casdhf
03-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Why are picks worth so much?

Beebe's Kid
03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I would. The only thing that concerns me is the injuries. Hopefully he isn't a Jonas Jennings.

Where does this "logic" come from? If he is a proven talent at LT and is better than the BPA in the draft, then why not? Not only is he proven and not a bust, like a very high percentage of these coveted top 10 picks, he has experience.

The pick at #9 will not be the best LT available, it will either be the 2nd or 3rd best available. Then you have to hope that he is going to be an NFL caliber player, which you'll find out shortly after giving him a pile of money, a lot of it guaranteed, probably for 5 years. So if you grab Mike Williams redux, it is an expensive **** up. There is not guarantee that he will be rated 80+ like on Madden.