• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FlyingDutchman
    • Apr 2005

The case to NOT draft Sam Bradford

hey guys,

ive made it known in other threads that I am not for drafting Sam Bradford at 9. Instead of ranting in a bunch of different threads and annoying people, ill make my case and be done with it. First of all, let it be on the record that I DO NOT think that Bradford is a bad QB by any means. I simply do not think he is an NFL franchise QB that we are looking for to answer all of our problems.

I understand Bradford has some solid stats but i would like to look deeper. I watched him play A LOT over his career and I think his numbers are fluffed due to a couple of different factors.

-Defenses in the big 12 outside of Texas and Nebraska are a joke. Usually the pass defenses of this conference rank poorly for defenses of major conferences. Also Oklahomas out of conference schedule is anything but challenging offensively

This is very important when adding these factors

Oklahoma runs a spread offense which usually results in pitch and catch. Quick slant routes, bubble screens, roll outs and a quick throw to the sideline. The ball is gone from his hands very fast on high percentage routes. A lot of the time, small plays were made bigger by the receiver which looks great for Bradford. This type of offense will always yield impressive passing numbers (ask U of Houston and Hawaii before they lost their coach as well as Chase Daniels just to name a few)

Anytime Oklahoma played someone with a solid defense, Bradford struggled. Everytime Bradford was pressured, he struggled. Youll notice on the video I provided, Bradford had whats called a pocket (i know its been a while since we've seen one of those) but he wont see one of those in Buffalo. So add amazing protection with wide open field, quick high percentage passes, and piss poor defense and youll get a solid numbers every time. He also rarely took snaps from behind center

Touching on a point I made, Oklahoma has amazing players year in year out. They are a powerhouse which will make anyone behind center look good

Heres a video of highlights (mods im a ratard so if you could please adjust this so the video is displayed on the post it would be appreciated)

Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford's highlights from the 2008 season.Video - SoonerSports.comAudio - Beethoven's 5th Symphony

like i said Bradford is not bad. Just like many of you im sick of the revolving door of hopeful QBs that come in here, and I feel strongly that he would be more of the same and would not add up to much except an average QB. I certainly do not think he is the franchise QB we are hoping for, therefore not worth taking a risk when we cannot afford to miss on this pick. The only reason he is rated this high is because of lack of options at QB this year. Im done with my Bradford rants, so Bradford lovers ill leave you alone...just wanted to make my point. GO BILLS
    Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 03-03-2010, 07:41 PM.
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: The case to NOT draft Sam Bradford

I really doubt Bradford will be there at #9, but I would not want to see the Bills trade up for him.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

Im hoping hes gone so I dont have to hear pissed off people. I have a feeling he'll be there though

Comment

• T-Long
        Circling the Wagons since 1982.
        • Sep 2003

He is either going to St. Louis, Washington, or Seattle. Don't worry, he won't be there at 9

Comment

• lmcshadow
          • Nov 2007

Well when you put it that way....hell be crushed in Buffalo...
          New name Lt. check down
          The enemy deserves no mercy....mercy is for the weak.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by T-Long
            He is either going to St. Louis, Washington, or Seattle. Don't worry, he won't be there at 9
            hope youre right bud

Comment

• djjimkelly
              • Apr 2003

if hes there at 9 we would be lucky to have him that being said hes not making to 9

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
                • Dec 2002

Completely agree which is why I'm OK with the Bills beefing up both of the lines this off season via draft and FA and entering this season with the same set of QBs as last. Let's allow these vet Bills QBs take a demolishing this season, focus on O&D-line continuity and then draft our high caliber franchise QB next year.

Unless they can find a decent one late in the draft this season and let him ride pine for a year pushing full development.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                  Defies all logic
                  • Oct 2006

Hey, Dutchman.. Another case for not drafting Bradford is: 1.) He will be drafted #1 overall and 2.) With Chan Gailey as our HC, we will be moving to the spread offense and if you look at all the top QBs this year who played primarily in the spread, you got: Bradford (top 5 pick) then you got guys like Tim Tebow, Dan LeFevour and Colt McCoy who are 2nd to 3rd round picks at best. I'm convinced that one of those 3 QBs will be in a Bills uniform next year, it just makes too much sense.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                    Hey, Dutchman.. Another case for not drafting Bradford is: 1.) He will be drafted #1 overall and 2.) With Chan Gailey as our HC, we will be moving to the spread offense and if you look at all the top QBs this year who played primarily in the spread, you got: Bradford (top 5 pick) then you got guys like Tim Tebow, Dan LeFevour and Colt McCoy who are 2nd to 3rd round picks at best. I'm convinced that one of those 3 QBs will be in a Bills uniform next year, it just makes too much sense.
                    if hes gonna be first or not, i disagree but lets just wait and see cuz we can just go back and forth all day. As far as your second point, the fact that all of these QBs played out of the spread is just another reason why I think this whole class is weak. Colt pretty much gets the same write up as Bradford, Lefevour played in an even bigger joke of a defensive conference (prob worst conference defensively in CFB), and Tebow has no shot of being a QB at the next level IMO. I think Claussen is better than Bradford although im not high on both. Right now they're just the king turds of $#@^ mountain and the lack of better options makes them more attractive to people. We are in so much trouble at the Tackle position, whoever is behind center is just going to get murdered if we dont do something. That to me, makes too much sense. I think we wait one more year for our guy. I want a patch job FA to come in here at QB for the time being
                    Last edited by FlyingDutchman; 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• HAMMER
                      I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by PECKERWOOD
                      Colt McCoy would be a smart choice. All he did was win in college he is bright, solid mechanics, good leader, very solid kid.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by HAMMER
                        Colt McCoy would be a smart choice. All he did was win in college he is bright, solid mechanics, good leader, very solid kid.
                        Tim Tebow would be an even better choice. All he did was win in college against the best that college has to offer. He is bright, passionate, GREAT leader, very solid kid.

Comment

• NOT THE DUDE...
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Jan 2010

if sam bradford would have come out last year he would have been the number 1 pick ahead of stafford. he is the best qb to come out in a long time. if if if if if if his shoulder is 100% or even 95% then u take him.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                            Defies all logic
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by better days
                            Tim Tebow would be an even better choice. All he did was win in college against the best that college has to offer. He is bright, passionate, GREAT leader, very solid kid.
                            I think I trust LeFevour & McCoy more as passing QBs than I do Tebow.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
                              • Nov 2009

McCoy vs. Tebow.

Let's say Lefevour is off the board by the time we pick. His stock is rising, and that is a possibility. Bradford will be gone, and I am hoping we don't pick Clausen.

If it is a choice between McCoy and Tebow, who do you take?

Comment

Working...
                              X