PDA

View Full Version : The case to NOT draft Sam Bradford

FlyingDutchman
03-03-2010, 06:03 PM
hey guys,

ive made it known in other threads that I am not for drafting Sam Bradford at 9. Instead of ranting in a bunch of different threads and annoying people, ill make my case and be done with it. First of all, let it be on the record that I DO NOT think that Bradford is a bad QB by any means. I simply do not think he is an NFL franchise QB that we are looking for to answer all of our problems.

I understand Bradford has some solid stats but i would like to look deeper. I watched him play A LOT over his career and I think his numbers are fluffed due to a couple of different factors.

-Defenses in the big 12 outside of Texas and Nebraska are a joke. Usually the pass defenses of this conference rank poorly for defenses of major conferences. Also Oklahomas out of conference schedule is anything but challenging offensively

This is very important when adding these factors

Oklahoma runs a spread offense which usually results in pitch and catch. Quick slant routes, bubble screens, roll outs and a quick throw to the sideline. The ball is gone from his hands very fast on high percentage routes. A lot of the time, small plays were made bigger by the receiver which looks great for Bradford. This type of offense will always yield impressive passing numbers (ask U of Houston and Hawaii before they lost their coach as well as Chase Daniels just to name a few)

Anytime Oklahoma played someone with a solid defense, Bradford struggled. Everytime Bradford was pressured, he struggled. Youll notice on the video I provided, Bradford had whats called a pocket (i know its been a while since we've seen one of those) but he wont see one of those in Buffalo. So add amazing protection with wide open field, quick high percentage passes, and piss poor defense and youll get a solid numbers every time. He also rarely took snaps from behind center

Touching on a point I made, Oklahoma has amazing players year in year out. They are a powerhouse which will make anyone behind center look good

Heres a video of highlights (mods im a ratard so if you could please adjust this so the video is displayed on the post it would be appreciated)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPkDsOlGzU

like i said Bradford is not bad. Just like many of you im sick of the revolving door of hopeful QBs that come in here, and I feel strongly that he would be more of the same and would not add up to much except an average QB. I certainly do not think he is the franchise QB we are hoping for, therefore not worth taking a risk when we cannot afford to miss on this pick. The only reason he is rated this high is because of lack of options at QB this year. Im done with my Bradford rants, so Bradford lovers ill leave you alone...just wanted to make my point. GO BILLS

better days
03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I really doubt Bradford will be there at #9, but I would not want to see the Bills trade up for him.

FlyingDutchman
03-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Im hoping hes gone so I dont have to hear pissed off people. I have a feeling he'll be there though

T-Long
03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
He is either going to St. Louis, Washington, or Seattle. Don't worry, he won't be there at 9

lmcshadow
03-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Well when you put it that way....hell be crushed in Buffalo...
New name Lt. check down

FlyingDutchman
03-03-2010, 06:26 PM
He is either going to St. Louis, Washington, or Seattle. Don't worry, he won't be there at 9

hope youre right bud

djjimkelly
03-03-2010, 06:29 PM
if hes there at 9 we would be lucky to have him that being said hes not making to 9

ChristopherWalken
03-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Completely agree which is why I'm OK with the Bills beefing up both of the lines this off season via draft and FA and entering this season with the same set of QBs as last. Let's allow these vet Bills QBs take a demolishing this season, focus on O&D-line continuity and then draft our high caliber franchise QB next year.

Unless they can find a decent one late in the draft this season and let him ride pine for a year pushing full development.

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Hey, Dutchman.. Another case for not drafting Bradford is: 1.) He will be drafted #1 overall and 2.) With Chan Gailey as our HC, we will be moving to the spread offense and if you look at all the top QBs this year who played primarily in the spread, you got: Bradford (top 5 pick) then you got guys like Tim Tebow, Dan LeFevour and Colt McCoy who are 2nd to 3rd round picks at best. I'm convinced that one of those 3 QBs will be in a Bills uniform next year, it just makes too much sense.

FlyingDutchman
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey, Dutchman.. Another case for not drafting Bradford is: 1.) He will be drafted #1 overall and 2.) With Chan Gailey as our HC, we will be moving to the spread offense and if you look at all the top QBs this year who played primarily in the spread, you got: Bradford (top 5 pick) then you got guys like Tim Tebow, Dan LeFevour and Colt McCoy who are 2nd to 3rd round picks at best. I'm convinced that one of those 3 QBs will be in a Bills uniform next year, it just makes too much sense.

if hes gonna be first or not, i disagree but lets just wait and see cuz we can just go back and forth all day. As far as your second point, the fact that all of these QBs played out of the spread is just another reason why I think this whole class is weak. Colt pretty much gets the same write up as Bradford, Lefevour played in an even bigger joke of a defensive conference (prob worst conference defensively in CFB), and Tebow has no shot of being a QB at the next level IMO. I think Claussen is better than Bradford although im not high on both. Right now they're just the king turds of $#@^ mountain and the lack of better options makes them more attractive to people. We are in so much trouble at the Tackle position, whoever is behind center is just going to get murdered if we dont do something. That to me, makes too much sense. I think we wait one more year for our guy. I want a patch job FA to come in here at QB for the time being

HAMMER
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Colt McCoy would be a smart choice. All he did was win in college he is bright, solid mechanics, good leader, very solid kid.

better days
03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Colt McCoy would be a smart choice. All he did was win in college he is bright, solid mechanics, good leader, very solid kid.

Tim Tebow would be an even better choice. All he did was win in college against the best that college has to offer. He is bright, passionate, GREAT leader, very solid kid.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-03-2010, 08:04 PM
if sam bradford would have come out last year he would have been the number 1 pick ahead of stafford. he is the best qb to come out in a long time. if if if if if if his shoulder is 100% or even 95% then u take him.

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Tim Tebow would be an even better choice. All he did was win in college against the best that college has to offer. He is bright, passionate, GREAT leader, very solid kid.

I think I trust LeFevour & McCoy more as passing QBs than I do Tebow.

Beebe's Kid
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
McCoy vs. Tebow.

Let's say Lefevour is off the board by the time we pick. His stock is rising, and that is a possibility. Bradford will be gone, and I am hoping we don't pick Clausen.

If it is a choice between McCoy and Tebow, who do you take?

FlyingDutchman
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
McCoy vs. Tebow.

Let's say Lefevour is off the board by the time we pick. His stock is rising, and that is a possibility. Bradford will be gone, and I am hoping we don't pick Clausen.

If it is a choice between McCoy and Tebow, who do you take?

id rather have Lefevour i think out of anyone, but between mccoy and tebow I think its a no brainer with mccoy

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2010, 09:16 PM
id rather have Lefevour i think out of anyone, but between mccoy and tebow I think its a no brainer with mccoy
I've watched limited footage on McCoy, but I've seen my fair share of Tebow & LeFevour and I must say that I love what LeFevour is all about. I've seen him come through in the clutch on numerous occasions, plus, he has good physical tools and a solid arm, he would make an excellent 3rd round pick and may even be worth our 2nd round pick.

better days
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I've watched limited footage on McCoy, but I've seen my fair share of Tebow & LeFevour and I must say that I love what LeFevour is all about. I've seen him come through in the clutch on numerous occasions, plus, he has good physical tools and a solid arm, he would make an excellent 3rd round pick and may even be worth our 2nd round pick.

Who did LeFevour come through in the clutch against? Tebow came through in the clutch against the very best in the Country.

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Who did LeFevour come through in the clutch against? Tebow came through in the clutch against the very best in the Country.
I'm pretty sure he led Central Michigan down the field to win a rivalry game against Michigan State in a shoot out, the score was 40+ something to 40+ something, it was a fantastic game if you like watching points scored. Tebow fell flat on his face when asked to lead the Gators back against Bama, he miss threw a pass in the redzone to a wide open Riley Cooper which resulted in a Crimson Tide interception and a score.

better days
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm pretty sure he led Central Michigan down the field to win a rivalry game against Michigan State in a shoot out, the score was 40+ something to 40+ something, it was a fantastic game if you like watching points scored. Tebow fell flat on his face when asked to lead the Gators back against Bama, he miss threw a pass in the redzone to a wide open Riley Cooper which resulted in a Crimson Tide interception and a score.

You are talking about ONE game. I am talking about FOUR YEARS. Tebow has played against the BEST in the Country for 4 years & won, setting records in doing so much more than he lost. Michigan State? Please. Nix has said he wants people that have done it over a period of time.

PECKERWOOD
03-03-2010, 11:37 PM
You are talking about ONE game. I am talking about FOUR YEARS. Tebow has played against the BEST in the Country for 4 years & won, setting records in doing so much more than he lost. Michigan State? Please. Nix has said he wants people that have done it over a period of time.

Last I checked, you haven't listed any specific games and I have. Plus, LeFevour hasn't been too bad if you've watched the guy during his career at Central Michigan.. I mean, have you even watched him play? Also, beating Michigan State is pretty impressive considering the difference in talent between the two programs, which should actually be considered a pro for LeFevour and this same point should count against Tebow as a con. Most of Tebow's numbers are due to what his receivers have been able to make happen after the catch, just look at the talent Florida consistently puts out, last year it was Louis Murphy and Percy Harvin, this year it's Aaron Hernandez, Maukrice Pouncey and Riley Cooper, give me a break. I sincerely hope you actually watch college ball and you just aren't digging up stats off of ESPN, because the stats do not tell the whole story with Tebow.

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Tebow is probably the worst option out of all of the top QBs hands down

better days
03-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Last I checked, you haven't listed any specific games and I have. Plus, LeFevour hasn't been too bad if you've watched the guy during his career at Central Michigan.. I mean, have you even watched him play? Also, beating Michigan State is pretty impressive considering the difference in talent between the two programs, which should actually be considered a pro for LeFevour and this same point should count against Tebow as a con. Most of Tebow's numbers are due to what his receivers have been able to make happen after the catch, just look at the talent Florida consistently puts out, last year it was Louis Murphy and Percy Harvin, this year it's Aaron Hernandez, Maukrice Pouncey and Riley Cooper, give me a break. I sincerely hope you actually watch college ball and you just aren't digging up stats off of ESPN, because the stats do not tell the whole story with Tebow.

I am a Gator fan & have watched about 95% of the games Tebow has played. I have seen him put the ball where only his receiver could catch it while they were well covered. I am sure LeFevour has had receivers to throw to as well (against lesser defenses). I have to admit I have not watched LeFevour at all, but my point is he played against lesser competition & you can not dismiss that no matter how hard you try.

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2010, 08:06 AM
I am a Gator fan & have watched about 95% of the games Tebow has played. I have seen him put the ball where only his receiver could catch it while they were well covered. I am sure LeFevour has had receivers to throw to as well (against lesser defenses). I have to admit I have not watched LeFevour at all, but my point is he played against lesser competition & you can not dismiss that no matter how hard you try.

nobody is denying he was a good college QB, just most agree it wont transfer over like tons of other solid college QBs who dont do anything in the NFL

better days
03-04-2010, 08:15 AM
nobody is denying he was a good college QB, just most agree it wont transfer over like tons of other solid college QBs who dont do anything in the NFL

Tebow was not a good College QB, he was a great college QB & will go into the College hall of fame as soon as he is eligible. Many agree with you that he won't have a good NFL career, but there are many that think he will.

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
you have a serious man crush huh buddy lol

Ron Burgundy
03-04-2010, 09:47 AM
That's good posting on Bradford. There were certainly times when his wide receivers were gobbling up all the yardage for the Sooners after a short cross or hitch. I'm not big on any of the quarterbacks in this class and that's a perfect reason why. The best that 2009 has to offer is probably Bradford and he's pretty flawed.

Tebow vs. McCoy isn't really a contest. McCoy will be a better quarterback in the NFL. But I'd rather draft Tim and turn him into history's greatest H-back.

better days
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
you have a serious man crush huh buddy lol

As a Gator fan, I guess you could say that, but I don't think it is any bigger than the average Gator fan. Tebow & the Gators have made my weekends enjoyable over the last 4 years, the Bills not so much. There are many that have had a man crush on Trent Edwards & some still do...........explain that to me.

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
As a Gator fan, I guess you could say that, but I don't think it is any bigger than the average Gator fan. Tebow & the Gators have made my weekends enjoyable over the last 4 years, the Bills not so much. There are many that have had a man crush on Trent Edwards & some still do...........explain that to me.

what does trent have to do with anything?

better days
03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
what does trent have to do with anything?

You accused me of having a mancrush on Tebow. I was just pointing out there are much worse players to have a mancrush on. Even if you are right & Tebow sucks in the NFL, he was a GREAT College QB & I had a lot of fun watching him at Florida, while Trent has not done anything anywhere to bring joy to anyone yet he has his fans still.

FlyingDutchman
03-04-2010, 02:19 PM
You accused me of having a mancrush on Tebow. I was just pointing out there are much worse players to have a mancrush on. Even if you are right & Tebow sucks in the NFL, he was a GREAT College QB & I had a lot of fun watching him at Florida, while Trent has not done anything anywhere to bring joy to anyone yet he has his fans still.

was just bustin balls bud

better days
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
was just bustin balls bud

OK, no problem. I do think Tebow will surprise many people & be a very good NFL QB even if it takes him a few years to get there.