PDA

View Full Version : Cards NT Gabe Watson - 2nd Round Tender - Calling Buddy Nix

Night Train
03-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Watson isn't a pass rusher at all but I never expect that from a 3-4 NT.. He does beat the double team at the LOS and make tackles on the RB. He takes away the middle running lanes.

A strong 330 NT is a way to fill a major need before the draft. Liked him coming out of Michigan in 2006 and he lasted until the 4th round.

Recent grade from the Cards website - B

Gabe Watson: Grade: B
Overall: As a run stopper, Watson was the most productive defensive tackle for the Cardinals in 2009. He actually piled up a relatively impressive number of solo tackles (22) considering the amount of snaps he played (359). In other words, Watson made a solo tackle in 6.12% of his snaps. For some context, Kelly Gregg (Ravens) posted the best tackle/snap percentage (8.20%), while Kevin Williams (Vikings) posted the worst (1.95%). As a pass rusher, however, Watson was well below average; he failed to post a sack and only pressured the quarterback twice in 2009.
The Regular Season Numbers: 0.0 sacks; 2 QB pressures; 0 QB hits; 22 solo tackles; 6 assists; 0 batted passes. Best Performance: Week 14 against San Francisco: 3 tackles; 3 assists.

Make him a good offer and see if the Cards are willing to match it. We already know he's a proven NFL run stuffing NT.

T-Long
03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Absolutely. I remember watching Watson for the Wolverines. He is DEFINITELY worth a 2nd round pick. Come on Buddy...now this scenario def. makes the most sense.

BillsWin
03-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Get it done! Then swap first round picks, give a 3rd and Whitner to Detroit for the 2nd pick. Hello Sam Bradford.

:couch:

Don't Panic
03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Get it done! Then swap first round picks, give a 3rd and Whitner to Detroit for the 2nd pick. Hello Sam Bradford.

...or grab a LT at #9 and know that you just fixed the two biggest troubles on each line.

Night Train
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
...or grab a LT at #9 and know that you just fixed the two biggest troubles on each line.

:beers:

tampabay25690
03-03-2010, 07:26 PM

Well said.
i agree 100%

ChristopherWalken
03-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I don't know how they couldn't push to make this happen. Tricky part is offering enough to have the Cards turn their back on the offer but not too much that the Bills break the bank to get him. Although, I'm not sure they have many other opportunities and breaking the bank may be the only viable option.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
would rather have terrence cody or cam thomas in rd 2

NOT THE DUDE...
03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
or dan williams in rd 1

WeAreArthurMoates
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Ya lets do it, I want Linval Joesph and theyre similar players.

Midwesternbillsfan
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I realize it doesn't tell the whole story, but I'm a little reticent to trade a high 2nd for a player who hasn't made a start since 2007 and is so one-dimensional. Yes, it's rare for a 34 nose to generate much of a pass rush- there aren't many NT's w/the unique ability of a Shaun Rodgers, obviously- but I don't think Watson is exceptional enough as a run-stuffer to discount what he doesn't offer- at all- pressuring the QB. It may be a consideration- and I realize there's the risk that we may miss out on the desirable NT's (Williams; Cody; Thomas)- but I think our 2nd is too valuable for Watson. If Arizona would be willing to barter and accept a 3rd, it's a more palatable proposal, IMO, and would also provide a bit more of a luxury w/our first two selections since we'd certainly a tackle with one of them but could potentially go BPA available with the other one (with perhaps an emphasis on QB; WR; OLB; ILB).

TigerJ
03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
There are worse acquisitions the Bills could make.

DraftBoy
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I have to agree with Midwestern here, keep in mind Watson's scouting report coming out of college, lazy, unconditioned player. He is not a traditional starter for a reason, a 2nd round pick is a hefty price to pay for a 2 down only player.

Night Train
03-04-2010, 05:09 AM
I have to agree with Midwestern here, keep in mind Watson's scouting report coming out of college, lazy, unconditioned player. He is not a traditional starter for a reason, a 2nd round pick is a hefty price to pay for a 2 down only player.

Good points and I may agree with that, if the Bills only had 1-2 positions we needed to fill in the starting lineup & for depth.

Our needs are far greater and the draft cannot possibly answer all our needs. NT,LT,DE, multiple LB's, QB, WR and on and on...

A 2nd round tender is roughly 1.76 Mil and granted, a starting point in negotiations. We can pay Fitzpatrick just under 3 Mil to be a backup QB, Josh Reed 3.1 Mil, Roscoe 2.5 Mil, etc..

I'm saying consider offering the guy about 6.5-7.5 Mil for 3 years and solve a need. That's not outrageous. Spencer Johnson makes that now and he's been a solid rotational player.

I'd like NT Dan Williams in the Draft.. if we had a LT. Waiting until Round 2 for a LT could be a dangerous, losing gamble. Not sure a good NT is going to be available then either. I see UCF's Troup being mentioned and his scouting report reads " Sits in obvious pass situations ". Big jump from Central Florida to the pro's.

Any out there in FA or someone we could tender ? What about all the other holes ?

Color me skeptical of " the draft solves all ". We're reading profiles of unproven NFL talent and have multiple needs.

colin
03-04-2010, 07:22 AM
roscoe or donte for him (donte means they give us a 4th as well or something) would work.

DraftBoy
03-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Good points and I may agree with that, if the Bills only had 1-2 positions we needed to fill in the starting lineup & for depth.

Our needs are far greater and the draft cannot possibly answer all our needs. NT,LT,DE, multiple LB's, QB, WR and on and on...

A 2nd round tender is roughly 1.76 Mil and granted, a starting point in negotiations. We can pay Fitzpatrick just under 3 Mil to be a backup QB, Josh Reed 3.1 Mil, Roscoe 2.5 Mil, etc..

I'm saying consider offering the guy about 6.5-7.5 Mil for 3 years and solve a need. That's not outrageous. Spencer Johnson makes that now and he's been a solid rotational player.

I'd like NT Dan Williams in the Draft.. if we had a LT. Waiting until Round 2 for a LT could be a dangerous, losing gamble. Not sure a good NT is going to be available then either. I see UCF's Troup being mentioned and his scouting report reads " Sits in obvious pass situations ". Big jump from Central Florida to the pro's.

Any out there in FA or someone we could tender ? What about all the other holes ?

Color me skeptical of " the draft solves all ". We're reading profiles of unproven NFL talent and have multiple needs.

I agree about Williams and Troup. Nobody is talking about his issues on passing downs or about his good defensive line talent mates. But that's a 4th Rounder, not a 2nd Rounder. If its me I want starters and 3 down players out of my 1st, and 2nd Round picks. I dont want just 2 down guys.

That's why Im hesistant. A 3rd Id do in an instant, a 2nd though gives me cause for concern. Though Watson's proven factor makes him attractive.

We could realistically get Gaither and Watson before the draft and just give up our 1st and 2nd Round picks and take a lot of the risk out of drafting somebody who may bust.

better days
03-04-2010, 08:21 AM
In another year I would agree with this, but this year I think the Bills can get a better player in the draft in the 2nd rnd.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2010, 08:28 AM

Sure but we wouldn't we also lose a 2nd round pick by signing Watson?

Pinkerton Security
03-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Sure but we wouldn't we also lose a 2nd round pick by signing Watson?

yeah but if hes a pretty legit NT, which is our biggest need outside of LT, I'd say its well worth the 2nd rounder myself.

jdbillsfan
03-04-2010, 08:37 AM
A NT in a 3-4 seems to be one of the most important pieces for the the D to work. I would take Watson, instead of another DT in the 2nd and waiting 2-3 years for them to develop to where Watson is now.

THATHURMANATOR
03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
yeah but if hes a pretty legit NT, which is our biggest need outside of LT, I'd say its well worth the 2nd rounder myself.
Right but the way Nighttrain made it seem was that signing him is good because it would fill a position of need without losing a pick, which we will.

I am 50/50 on Watson. He is solely a run stuffer with a questionable work ethic. Sounds like Terrance Cody to me but not as good.

ChanGailey
03-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Why do you have to take a realistic, logical thread and then pollute with high school GM philosophy.

We aren't getting Bradford. Bradford is going to suck. Leave a thread alone with this QB garbage.

ChanGailey
03-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I agree about Williams and Troup. Nobody is talking about his issues on passing downs or about his good defensive line talent mates. But that's a 4th Rounder, not a 2nd Rounder. If its me I want starters and 3 down players out of my 1st, and 2nd Round picks. I dont want just 2 down guys.

That's why Im hesistant. A 3rd Id do in an instant, a 2nd though gives me cause for concern. Though Watson's proven factor makes him attractive.

We could realistically get Gaither and Watson before the draft and just give up our 1st and 2nd Round picks and take a lot of the risk out of drafting somebody who may bust.

I agree with your philosophy that you need borderline great players with good draft picks. But the one thing we REALLY can't afford is a guy who needs a couple years to get on the field, or a guy who shouldn't even be on the field.

This guy for AZ, is a run stuffer. I feel he'd come at a fair price and allow us to keep Kyle Williams. With the mixture of the 2 guys, we pretty much could be set for any scenario.

If it's a passing down we go with Stroud and Williams in the nikel

If it's a base first down we put our run stuffer at NT and play it that way.

If it's a sure fire run situation, put Stroud, Watson AND Williams out there.

I feel the best way for this team to get better right now is to cast as wide a net as possible in the player acquisition department. Add a bunch of guys and make them fight for playing time, and make the rookies earn their spots.

I'd support the move to get this guy.

Midwesternbillsfan
03-04-2010, 10:14 AM
I think that if we are to break a non-playoff producing season streak that now has run an entire decade and has last seen us qualify for the Playoffs when Bill Clinton, our nation's 42nd president, was still in office, we need to "nix" the justification to make a move that "Well, we've certainly made worse moves." Obviously, we have- now we have to make much better ones to reverse the fortunes of this moribund franchise.

I know that we desperately need a NT to effectively run our newly-implemented and not nearly complete 34 defense. But given the woeful state of franchise visa vi talent, we even more desperately need to maximize the value of each and every draft pick, particularly high draft picks. And I come back to this fundamental fact: viscerally, I just can't reconcile myself to wanting to see the Bills trade the 41st overall pick for Gabe Watson; I just don't think that his abilities warrant trading a selection that high, no matter what position he plays. I really just don't think it's good- or even acceptable- value.

DraftBoy
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Midwestern-What if it was a 3rd?

Midwesternbillsfan
03-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Midwestern-What if it was a 3rd?

In the original post that I replied to about this topic, I did say that I thought a 3rd was a lot more reasonable. I wouldn't necessarily be completely euphoric w/that deal- but it does make some sense and also "frees up" one of our first two draft picks since #9 would- and will- seemingly be a tackle (unless Clausen is perhaps there; I don't think he'll be) and allows our 2nd to be selected on the BPA (with an emphasis on OLB, ILB, WR, QB, or even another OT if somebody surprisingly remains).

mark1126
03-04-2010, 08:31 PM
the bills are going to have the same problem with free agents as with coaches..no one wants to come to buffalo