PDA

View Full Version : Bills likely to wade into free agent pool

justasportsfan
03-04-2010, 06:50 AM
“Free agency to me should be middle-priced to below-priced guys, not the high-dollar guy that is going bring a big bang when you sign him,” said Nix.

“I can’t tell you we are going to the playoffs in a year or two years, but we should be headed there, and soon,” Nix said. “It doesn’t matter what kind of splash you make now. What matters is two years or three years down the road that we’ve got this thing turned in the right direction and we’re winning.”

“We take places that we are weak at after the draft and we plug in guys that can fill in and fill a role,” said Nix. “Kris Dielman, in San Diego, he was a defensive lineman that couldn’t run and we moved him to guard and he goes to the Pro Bowl, though it took a lot of work. Those are the kind of guys that I am talking about. Not guys that are going to be a tremendous hit today, but a bust later on.”

“I think that money ought to go to our guys that have played good and you reward them by extending and keeping them around,” Nix said. “We know what we got, let’s build that way. Let’s make the team know we are going to do that.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-likely-to-wade-into-free-agent-pool/0e2be784-da11-4e9d-8556-0b07d91ce36c

WeAreArthurMoates
03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
All I want is front 7 depth and a RT.

trapezeus
03-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Bills wade into free agency pool...determine water is too cold for their liking and sprint out of the pool to be with their mother and a hot drink.

Other teams go jump into the deep end and have hours of fun.

cocamide
03-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Bills wade into free agency pool...determine water is too cold for their liking and sprint out of the pool to be with their mother and a hot drink.

Other teams go jump into the deep end and have hours of fun.

Washington tries a double back flip off the high dive, cracks their head on the board and is left for dead.

madness
03-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Still, it’s clear Nix’s philosophy when it comes to free agents starts with keeping your own provided they have been productive and are not on the downside of their careers.
“I think that money ought to go to our guys that have played good and you reward them by extending and keeping them around,” Nix said. “We know what we got, let’s build that way. Let’s make the team know we are going to do that.”

No more breathing in the same stale air we've had for the past 10 years. I welcome this breath of fresh air!

jimbohastle51
03-04-2010, 01:00 PM
If you cant gather from that blog and the tendering of ellison, a player that doesnt even fit our system that we are not spendimg money because we dont have to (no cap or minimum to spend) than you really do not understand the fromt office of football. We will sign free agents but none that will be exciting. Nix would never come out and say we are not goimg to be active because he knows the fan base is already upset with the gailey hire and if he were to say that and then we have the bad season which unfortunately we are headed twords no one would pay to see a game. This no cap is exactly what ralph wants. I am sure we will trade down from 9 because the bills wont want to pay the signing bonus and i am sure they are hoping 1 of the 2 qbs are the so they can get more to trade down. The team would rather pay edwards 500k or so and talk themselves into believing hes the guy than giving bradford or clausen 30 million guaranteed. It is sad but true.

Buddo
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
The reality this year, is that there isn't much in the way of quality FAs available anyway, due to the effect of the CBA being cancelled.
Hopefully, Nix and Haley can find a couple of decent guys to start plugging some holes with, prior to the draft.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I want front 7 help especially the dline and help all along the oline mostly ot

SABURZFAN
03-04-2010, 09:03 PM
what's another 2-3 year wait for the playoffs when we've been waiting for 10 years now? :yawn:

psubills62
03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Honestly, with Whaley on board, I'll be interested to see what they do in free agency. I'm wondering what Whaley can bring to the table, and the next couple of weeks should give an idea, since, if I remember correctly, his specialty in Pittsburgh were professional free agents, and not necessarily draftees.

PECKERWOOD
03-04-2010, 10:44 PM
My interpretation of Nix's comments is: Don't expect any big names.

raphael120
03-04-2010, 11:00 PM
No more breathing in the same stale air we've had for the past 10 years. I welcome this breath of fresh air!

"We're not ready for the playoffs in a year or two years"

Just once I'd like to have a situation like Rex Ryan and the Jets where Rex Ryan has the balls to say that he's here to win and win now.

madness
03-05-2010, 07:55 AM
"We're not ready for the playoffs in a year or two years"

Just once I'd like to have a situation like Rex Ryan and the Jets where Rex Ryan has the balls to say that he's here to win and win now.

The Jets were way ahead of where we are now and Rex had the luxury of taking over a young, talented team. It would be nothing short of amazing if we could duplicate their success but Nix's plan sounds pretty much like the same path the Jets took early on. You don't go hoarding draft picks by trading down just to try to fill every single hole in a year. It just doesn't work that way. The Jets have been aggressive in the draft, doing whatever it takes to get the guys they thought were going to be a sure thing.

I'm hoping to see that same aggressiveness in building this team.

psubills62
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
The Jets were way ahead of where we are now and Rex had the luxury of taking over a young, talented team. It would be nothing short of amazing if we could duplicate their success but Nix's plan sounds pretty much like the same path the Jets took early on. You don't go hoarding draft picks by trading down just to try to fill every single hole in a year. It just doesn't work that way. The Jets have been aggressive in the draft, doing whatever it takes to get the guys they thought were going to be a sure thing.

I'm hoping to see that same aggressiveness in building this team.

Exactly. Ryan with the Jets is a completely different situation. He became the head coach of a team that 1) already had a great OL, 2) had the exact same defensive scheme he wanted to play, 3) had the ability to bring in a ton of guys that Ryan had already worked with.