PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bills, McNabb not interested in each other

patmoran2006
03-04-2010, 09:43 AM
According to a source I spoke with on Wednesday there’s a decent chance Donovan McNabb will be traded before the NFL draft, despite claims otherwise made by the Philadelphia Eagles.

However, the same source says that if McNabb is dealt it will positively not be to the Buffalo Bills.

I asked the source if there was even a remote realistic possibility that with a need for a quarterback not to mention a needed draw at the box office and a high pick in Aprils draft that McNabb could be lured to the Bills.

“Nope, it’s not going to happen,” the source said. “Donovan wouldn’t have any interest in coming to Buffalo and even though he doesn’t have a no-trade clause, he’d never agree to an extension.”

Although McNabb technically can’t control where he’s traded if he’s dealt, his stance towards a potential suitor could kill any deal. First, any team that deals for him would have to surrender one or more high draft picks. Then they’d have to pay him enormously for 2010 and lastly have to work out a long term deal, since no team is going to surrender valuable picks for a one-year rental. McNabb is in the final year of his contract.

Simply put, Buffalo and McNabb is not a match that works for either party.

The source also said that despite speculation suggesting otherwise, the Bills are equally uninterested in acquiring the 11-year veteran.

“It’s not the direction Buddy Nix will go,” the source said. “He knows no one player is going to be a quick fix for the team like they hoped with (Terrell) Owens last year. He’ll plug some holes through free agency and maybe a trade or two, but he wants to build the Bills through the draft and it will be a process.”

The source says the Bills will explore quarterback options through free agency, trade and the draft but to not be shocked if Trent Edwards is given another year.

“By no means are they committed but it’s a realistic possibility.” He said. “There aren’t a lot of appealing options out there right now but maybe that changes. One thing I can tell you with certainty is that McNabb will not be in Buffalo in 2010.”

patmoran2006
03-04-2010, 09:44 AM
When I first learned of this I was pissed. I was quietly holding out hope we'd make a run at him.. But upon reflection it began to make sense.

He's getting old, we need our draft picks and we'd have to pay him a ton of money at an advanced age, not to mention he'd be someone who'd have little or no passion to be here.

Dicknoze69
03-04-2010, 09:45 AM
When I first learned of this I was pissed. I was quietly holding out hope we'd make a run at him.. But upon reflection it began to make sense.

He's getting old, we need our draft picks and we'd have to pay him a ton of money at an advanced age, not to mention he'd be someone who'd have little or no passion to be here.

I think McNabb's going to end up on the Rams.

Forward_Lateral
03-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Behind Buffalo's porous O-line, getting McNabb would be similar to getting Bledsoe. Trying to patch a gaping hole with bubble gum only works for a short period of time.

JCBills
03-04-2010, 09:53 AM

This is what I've been saying for months.

I can't understand people's obsession with McNabb.

Beebe's Kid
03-04-2010, 10:00 AM

I agree. I came to my conclusion the other night, while talking to my buddy on the phone. It hit me how this move would set us back more than it would help us.

I love McNabb. I think he is a great QB, and I meant to use the word great. His age, contract, and the fact that you would have to extend him are too much. The epiphany came when my buddy said, "Just get McNabb and extend him 5 years." That is what he is going to want, and he will want a huge portion of that guaranteed. Why not? He is going to have the team he is traded to's nuts in the fire. If it doesn't work out perfect for him, he'll walk after a year, and you just blew the load on the rental.

That being said, we have to do something. I am pulling for Brohm. Put me in the fan-boy section. I really hope he can work out. It would be a great story. The team everybody game up on, and the QB that nobody believed in. Long shot, but I am a Bills fan...I love long shots.

I don't like Claussen, I see him being a bust. I could be wrong, but I don't like his chances. Edwards starting again would be too much for me to take....that ship has sailed. We need a veteran here. I hope Nix tracks down a good one.

I will say that I like what he is saying about our rebuild. As much as I want a Super Bowl next year, there is no way to get there from here. I am pretty pumped about the FA period.

M
03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
This is what I've been saying for months.

I can't understand people's obsession with McNabb.

Me either. I was never a big McNabb fan even when he was younger.

Nighthawk
03-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Sounds like an Adam Schefter quote...

Ickybaluky
03-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Sounds like a Adam Schefter quote...

It does sound exactly like him.

Luisito23
03-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Good move by Nix...McNabb is good, but at this point of his career, and with how many huge holes we have with our OL, he's just not worth us throwing our entire future for him.

Mudflap1
03-04-2010, 12:50 PM
It does sound exactly like him.

That's what I was going to say as well.

better days
03-04-2010, 12:56 PM
This is good news IMO. It shows the Bills finally have a front office that could be good.

Goobylal
03-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Sounds like he's saying that McNabb wants to go to a team that's close to being a contender, and that would rule out the Bills. I also disagree that the Bills thought TO was a quick fix for anything.

mark1126
03-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Been living in Phila since I moved from Buffalo in 1998...McNabb sucks trust me. Even his teamates dis him and ex players on radio talk show here say he never accepts accountability for anything and the guys in the locker room think is not a leader..