PDA

View Full Version : Coles could be back in Bills mix… again

patmoran2006
03-04-2010, 02:42 PM
I wrote this on January 21 after speaking to a player. .Ironically, Coles was just cut the day before FA began.
----------------------

About a year ago the Buffalo Bills were attracted to then-free agent wide receiver Laveranues Coles. The former New York Jet visited Buffalo last March and the Bills were ponied up a contract offer. The sides couldn’t agree on terms and ultimately Coles inked a four-year deal with the Cincinnati Bengals on March 4.

Twelve months later the Bills and Coles may cross paths again. Buffalo is very likely to be in the market for a number two receiver and according to a Cincinnati beat writer, Coles is likely to be looking for employment.

Coles still has three years remaining on the four-year, $27.5-million contract he signed a year ago, but he’s not likely to see the final three years. The Bengals are expected to promote Andre Caldwell to starter and with Coles scheduled to make $4.65 million in 2010, he’s expected to be a high salary victim.

With a potential lock out looming after next season there’s bound to be a bunch of players similar to Coles looking for work.

Much like the entire Bengals offense, Coles struggled with production in 2009. His 43 receptions and 514 receiving yards were the least since his rookie year in 2000. He was on the receiving end of five touchdowns, but overall it was a down year for the 32-year old.

A current Bills player not wanting to be identified while Coles is still a Bengal thinks he’d be a great fit here. He put in a good word last year and will step up his recruiting efforts if he becomes available again.

“He’s a great receiver who works his butt off,” the player said. “We were close to getting him last year but things just didn’t quite work out.”

Coles was reportedly offered about $5-million per season over three years.
“He’s smart and he’s physical,” the player said. “If there is a hole to fill there, I’ll go out of my way to try and get him here. I know he could help this offense.”

It’s more than feasible the Bills will be eying a receiver in free agency or the draft. Terrell Owens is a near-lock to not return to Buffalo while fellow free agent Josh Reed’s homecoming is unlikely after spending eight years with the organization.

That would leave James Hardy and Stevie Johnson as the only two receivers besides Lee Evans. The pair of second-year pros combined for all of three catches and 19 yards last year.

Both should be given more opportunities but either starting in 2010 is everything but imminent.

With new head coach Chan Gailey still evaluating the talent on his current roster and Buddy Nix in the midst of evaluating his personnel and scouting departments, it’s not reasonable to conclude any potential free agents are already being targeted.

But if Coles becomes available, at least one Bills player is willing to put his two cents in.

“I will definitely recommend him to Coach Gailey or Mr. Nix,” he said. “L.C. could fit into this team and what I think we’ll try and do offensively. For sure.”

If Coles is released by Cincinnati he would be available to sign with another team immediately.

NFL free agency is scheduled to begin March 5 at the stroke of midnight.

Prov401
03-04-2010, 02:49 PM
We need to get our young guys in there. Coles would be just a little better than us re-signing Price a few years ago. He didn't have a great season with an elite QB, what makes anybody think he'll flurish here?

Pass.

madness
03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't see us picking up a player on the downside of his career unless Nix exhausts all other options.

The Spaz
03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Hell no.

ChanGailey
03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
He's terrible. I was praying that we wouldn't sign him last year, and I'll be furious if we sign him now.

ChanGailey
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Haha, I can't believe the Bungles wasted $10 million guaranteed on him last year.

madness
03-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Rotoworld sums it up best:

Bengals released WR Laveranues Coles.
Coles' four-year, $27.5 million deal was a high-risk, low-reward gamble from the start. Drop-prone with no playmaking ability or separation skills, Coles was a major factor in the Bengals' passing attack falling apart at the seams down the stretch. To put it bluntly, he was a colossal waste of $10M in guaranteed money. The Bengals now have an obvious void at No. 2 receiver.

DrGraves
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Not going to happen.

Dude
03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Coles was terrible here. Signing him would be a huge mistake.

trapezeus
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
coles was so awful during the playoff game. he was running timid and dropping catchable balls. that's who rosh reed was early in his career. No thanks. Role with hardy and johnson. They're not going to amount to much, but they also won't have a decent QB through to them. we need a line and some big time running. We've got a decent TE and supposedly a number 1 receiver in evans. that should be enough to move the chains so long as we get a real OL.

psubills62
03-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Thoughts on Antwaan Randle El as a slot receiver? Redskins just released him.

homeslice5484
03-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Don't want him

Forward_Lateral
03-04-2010, 07:57 PM
The front office did something smart by letting him walk away before, don't even let him in the front doors this time.

buffalobillsfan95
03-04-2010, 08:00 PM
F*** coles, Ralph Wilson could do better and hes cheeper