PDA

View Full Version : Osgood says Chargers are dumping Jamal Williams

shelby
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Though Chargers special-teams standout Kassim Osgood has yet to launch his own OCNN-style Twitter journalism operation, the soon-to-be free agent has declared that the Chargers have cut nose tackle Jamal Williams (http://twitter.com/kassimosgood).

Osgood claims in a tweet that Williams, who was placed on injured reserve after only one game last season, is "officially gone." In a later message, Osgood insists it's true and points out that players share information with each other.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/osgood-says-chargers-are-dumping-jamal-williams/

Dicknoze69
03-04-2010, 03:00 PM
According to Kassim Osgood on Twitter, Jamal Williams got released today:

http://twitter.com/kassimosgood/status/9988749322

I expect the Bills to be very interested.

Mahdi
Could be an excellent temporary fix to our NT situation. Obviously the Nix link is there too.

ChanGailey
The Chargers must think he has nothing left in the tank. Either that, or his salary is too high.

Either way, we need to give him a look.

Slim
Would LOVE him for a year or two! With Nix here this could definitely happen.

shelby
03-04-2010, 03:01 PM
i think the Bills will be interested.

psubills62
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Definitely someone the Bills should try to pick up.

methos4ever
03-04-2010, 03:10 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/04/sproles-ready-free-agency/
Article from SD Union Trib confirming Kassim's story.

Sources also said Williams, a Pro Bowl nose tackle who had been with the Chargers for 12 seasons, would be released. Williams, who will be 34 next month, would have been owed a $1 million roster bonus and was scheduled to earn $5 million in 2010. He played in only one game last season due to a triceps injury suffered in the season opener.

Luisito23
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
i think the Bills will be interested.

We can only hope...He's still good for another year, or two.

circlethewagons
03-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Hopefully his connection with Buddy Nix will help us bring him in...

BillsWin
03-04-2010, 03:12 PM
DO IT!!!

trapezeus
03-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Eww, we don't need a stop gap. we need a stud. there are a couple in the draft.

Jamal has already gotten injured and missed a season, he has a huge contract. Picking him up and forgoing what is a need right now. We don't need the future at NT, LT from this draft. They are there right now. Then next year we can get a WR and QB. I really don't want this guy.

And on a side note, are the chargers dismantling their entire team? what the heck is going on?

psubills62
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Jamal has already gotten injured and missed a season, he has a huge contract. Picking him up and forgoing what is a need right now. We don't need the future at NT, LT from this draft. They are there right now. Then next year we can get a WR and QB. I really don't want this guy.

And on a side note, are the chargers dismantling their entire team? what the heck is going on?

Dismantling? Since when? Last I checked, they offered 4 guys the top RFA tender possible, and may do the same with Sproles (might have changed their minds).

No matter who we pick up in FA, we have to get some sort of NT in the draft. Even if we wait until the 5th round (I think that's where the Browns found Ahtyba Rubin last year), they have to draft an NT. Doesn't mean Williams wouldn't be a good pickup at the least for depth.

Pinkerton Security
03-04-2010, 03:38 PM

We need a stud at LT, QB, LB, DT, DE, OLB and probably other spots...if they do plan on drafting a NT in the first couple rounds, then they probably wont go after him, but i mean if he can play some solid football for a couple years why not get him and fill other holes right now?

WeAreArthurMoates
03-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Sign him and draft Linval Joesph or Ekom Udophi.

evdawg419
03-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Or signing him makes kyle williams more expendable. Then we could draft the future nt in the 1st or 2nd, and get an extra 2nd via trade to address one of our other needs.

HAMMER
03-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Or signing him makes kyle williams more expendable. Then we could draft the future nt in the 1st or 2nd, and get an extra 2nd via trade to address one of our other needs.

You don't bring in Jamal Williams and then take another NT that high.

X-Era
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
It would be a very smart move to go and get the guy. We should be on the phones with him right now, I believe thats OK if he is released.

Get him in, get it done.

Then in round 3, get Linval Joseph.

We need a NT, the guy is a proven, solid, player, get it done.

Injury prone? yes. But he can play when healthy, if nothing else, hes solid veteran backup material.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jamalwilliams/profile?id=WIL328754

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4487532

evdawg419
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM

The dude is 33 years old and dominant when he plays, but he's injury prone. Plus, he probably only has a few years left in him, and to not prepare for the future at such an important position in the 3-4 in what is a very strong draft for nts at the top isn't smart at all.

X-Era
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
The dude is 33 years old and dominant when he plays, but he's injury prone. Plus, he probably only has a few years left in him, and to not prepare for the future at such an important position in the 3-4 in what is a very strong draft for nts at the top isn't smart at all.
I dont know that this draft is strong at NT.

Id look at it like this:

Suh- Probably not, more of a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT
McCoy- probably not, more of a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT
Williams- Maybe
Price- Maybe
Odrick- Maybe/Yes
Jones- Probably not
Cody- Yes
Houston- Probably not
Smith- Maybe
Thomas- Maybe
Joseph- Yes
Atkins- Probably not
Troup- Yes
Oghobaase- Maybe
Ownes- Maybe
Woods- Yes
Weston- Yes

I dont think its strong if you mean sure fire NT's in the early rounds.

rcd333
03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
DOOO EET

evdawg419
03-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I dont know that this draft is strong at NT.

Id look at it like this:

Suh- Probably not, more of a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT
McCoy- probably not, more of a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT
Williams- Maybe
Price- Maybe
Odrick- Maybe/Yes
Cody- Yes
Thomas- Maybe
Joesph- Yes
Woods- Yes
Weston- Yes

I dont think its strong if you mean sure fire NT's in the early rounds.

That looks pretty strong to me, or at least as strong as it will ever be for exceptionally big guys to fill the nt role. This draft has been consistently referred to as one of the deepest drafts for NT talent. The bills will likely have solid group to pick from at the begining of the second. I trust nix's ability to pick the best one.

T-Long
03-04-2010, 05:03 PM
He should be a Bill in 48 hours...no reason not to bring him in, especially because we don't have one. If he clears medically, sign him for 2 years.

HAMMER
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM

We have many other needs that our first two picks could fill if a good NT is brought in during FA. We can address the successor next offseason, JMO.

X-Era
03-04-2010, 05:59 PM
That looks pretty strong to me, or at least as strong as it will ever be for exceptionally big guys to fill the nt role. This draft has been consistently referred to as one of the deepest drafts for NT talent. The bills will likely have solid group to pick from at the begining of the second. I trust nix's ability to pick the best one.

I think its deep at DT, but not so much at NT. I think its got a lot of players who could be 3-4 DE's or 4-3 DT's. Just my opinion.

jaycorp51
03-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Getting a guy like Cody to come in and rotate with Williams would be extremely smart.

X-Era
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Getting a guy like Cody to come in and rotate with Williams would be extremely smart.

I usually dislike players that have weight issues like that. But, for some reason, I really like him... the blocked kicks is a big part.

YardRat
03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Bring Williams in. Draft LT at #9. Grab a rookie NT anywhere from 2-4 round, I'd be very happy.

psubills62
03-04-2010, 11:34 PM
According to the Denver Post, "word is" the Chargers fully intend to re-sign NT Jamal Williams despite releasing him Thursday afternoon.

Denver looked like a possible landing spot if Williams was going to test the market due to the presence of ex-Chargers DL coach Wayne Nunnelly. The Chargers, though, are expected to retain Williams for a lesser salary than the $5 million he was due. Williams likely has something left, so it appears to be a smart and cost-effective move by Bolts GM A.J. Smith.

From rotoworld.com

I really hope this isn't true, but it would make sense. You have to imagine that 3-4 NT's are in such high demand that the Bills wouldn't really be in the bidding for one in FA.

Prov401
03-04-2010, 11:38 PM
SIGN HIM IMMEDIATELY