PDA

View Full Version : Bills, Eagles have talked about a trade for McNabb

Coach Sal
03-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Have to keep things on twitter today due to a lot going on. I won't be around much to answer any questions. This is all I know:

http://twitter.com/SalSports

Slim
03-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Awsome Sal! keep em coming!

Coach Sal
Please keep in mind everyone....."discussions" does not mean "offers."

Mahdi
Wise move.

Mahdi
03-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Already had discussions and are now over. Or are currently in discussions?

BillsWin
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Sal, I have been told within the past 5 minutes by a credible person who works for a tv station in Philadelphia that the Bills may have offered their 2nd round pick. Can you confirm?

trapezeus
03-05-2010, 10:29 AM
anyone able to tell me what the twitter says? i don't twitter.

i won't believe mcnabb in buffalo until he's holding a jersey. the whole cowher thing took too much out of me.

i'm luke warm to mcnabb in buffalo. He's a great quarterback on a good team. in buffalo, he won't last the year. and we won't be developing anyone with him. we can't get mcnabb and then draft someone this year. and i'm all for taking a qb next year, but we have no assurance that there is a next year.

it'll assuage the hatred that most of us know that 2010 will look a lot like 2009. but i'd rather suck with developmental people that we trust, than pretend like we're close and just need to win a couple key games.

trapezeus
03-05-2010, 10:31 AM
i wonder if we can trade for Jason peters in this blockbuster deal.

Classic bills fan logic trade - Mcnabb, peters for 7th round pick, roscoe parrish, and george wilson.

Get it done.

ChanGailey
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't want to do it. Philly is being coy in an effort to drive up the price. It's clear they want him gone, and so do Philly fans.

Why? I'm not sure.

All I know is if we have to give up Lynch or high end picks I definitely don't want to do it. If it's just a 3rd or something, maybe. I just don't know if McNabb is the right guy for us.

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Donovan McNabb has 0.0 interest in coming to Bufalo. None, Zilch

ChanGailey
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm chalking this one up in the Bill Cowher column. **** that just gets rumored because fans want it. I bet anything McNabb never comes to Buffalo.

Ebenezer
03-05-2010, 10:45 AM

exactly...I am sure teams "discuss" all the time...about many players - for long periods of time. They may just do it to get a value on a player. Why do fans assume because a phone rings that there is a deal going to be happen?

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm chalking this one up in the Bill Cowher column. **** that just gets rumored because fans want it. I bet anything McNabb never comes to Buffalo.

Sal never said its a trade close to happening or predicts that talks will even continue.. He reported that a source told him they've had discussions.

Ebenezer
03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Sal never said its a trade close to happening or predicts that talks will even continue.. He reported that a source told him they've had discussions.

but that is just it..."discussions" should never mean anything. they "discuss" all the time. if they were serious then why leak it to anybody?

JCBills
03-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm so sick of this, I wish McNabb would just retire so I can stop hearing about it.

Something will be reported about the Bills being interested, the next day it's someone saying that was never true, the next day someone says they've been discussing it. Then the whole process repeats itself.

Ebenezer
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm so sick of this, I wish McNabb would just retire so I can stop hearing about it.

Why is this McNabb's fault?

how many years in a row have the Eagles "been willing to move" McNabb...they never do...interesting?

Ron Burgundy
03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
but that is just it..."discussions" should never mean anything. they "discuss" all the time. if they were serious then why leak it to anybody?

"Journalists" gotta eat, too.

Ebenezer
03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
"Journalists" gotta eat, too.

let the journalist eat...the fans have to be realistic.

clumping platelets
03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
:mad:

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM

I agree..

I have been told from a solid source that McNabb will not come to Buffalo and also that, maybe because of knowing that, that the Bills arent interested in trading for him either.

I"m sure discussions have taken place, but for me personally I dont read anything more into it than exactly that.

Doesnt make his report wrong though by any means.

Ron Burgundy
03-05-2010, 11:15 AM
let the journalist eat...the fans have to be realistic.

Realism out of a sports fanbase?

I wish you the best of luck in your (clearly insane) endeavor.

Dr. Lecter
03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Realism out of a sports fanbase?

I wish you the best of luck in your (clearly insane) endeavor.

This is why the Bills tendered Ellison.

Ellison, Whitner and Jon Corto for McNabb.

Book it.

Ron Burgundy
03-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Book it.

Strange. My sources tell me that McNabb is not interested in coming to Buffalo.

However, my possible sources tell me that a move to trade for McNabb is likely to come within the week.

DraftBoy
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM

And if he gets dealt here "hypothetically" what is he going to do? Retire?

Commissioner
03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Buffalo is where falling stars come to burn out.

Mathja
03-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree..

I have been told from a solid source that McNabb will not come to Buffalo and also that, maybe because of knowing that, that the Bills arent interested in trading for him either.

I"m sure discussions have taken place, but for me personally I dont read anything more into it than exactly that.

Doesnt make his report wrong though by any means.

Guys have a way of changing their minds when they feel unwanted. if Mcnabb senses that he's being replaced, his ego could take over and he might want to go to a place that welcomes him with open arms. So, he might not want to come to Buffalo today -- but that doesn't mean he'll feel that way in a few weeks.

A Mcnabb situatioin would remind me so much of the bledsoe situation...a stopgap to help but not so much to make the bills superbowl contenders. and in 2 years, when the team got better (hopefully) mcnabbe would probably be in decline.

justasportsfan
03-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Buffalo is where falling stars come to burn out.
true true. Signing Mcnabb IMO, would be no different from when we signed Bledsoe.

ChanGailey
03-05-2010, 11:35 AM
That's what Jake Plummer did.

ChanGailey
03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
true true. Signing Mcnabb IMO, would be no different from when we signed Bledsoe.

Bledsoe actually wanted to come here. And honestly if we had built a line in front of him, we would've been a competitive team. Dumping him was probably the biggest mistake of the 2000's. (Especially given who and when we dumped him for)

I feel McNabb is more past his prime. He's had more injuries.

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
And if he gets dealt here "hypothetically" what is he going to do? Retire?

Play for one year and then bail.

You gonna pay all that money and give up high compensation for a one year QB and then have to start over at the most important position on the team again?

Because McNabb only has one year left on his deal he does have some leverage on where he goes, if he's even dealt at all.

DraftBoy
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Play for one year and then bail.

You gonna pay all that money and give up high compensation for a one year QB and then have to start over at the most important position on the team again?

Because McNabb only has one year left on his deal he does have some leverage on where he goes, if he's even dealt at all.

One year stop gap to a better QB draft class, and a better team. If its for a 2nd as somebody in this thread rumored it would be then yes Id probably take that.

Buffalogic
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Second round pick for Mcnabb? In a heartbeat!

justasportsfan
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Report: McNabb power struggle
With three viable QBs on their roster speculation will never die down as to which one the Eagles will ultimately move via trade. But reports out of Philadelphia indicate that while Andy Reid is staunchly committed to keeping Donovan McNabb for the 2010 campaign, other front office members are not.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/03/05/report-mcnabb-power-struggle/

ChanGailey
03-05-2010, 11:46 AM
One year stop gap to a better QB draft class, and a better team. If its for a 2nd as somebody in this thread rumored it would be then yes Id probably take that.

Why blow a 2nd, just so we can draft our QB of the future next year?

I'd rather just suck this year and use the draft pick on somebody who will still be on the team in 2011.

DraftBoy
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Why blow a 2nd, just so we can draft our QB of the future next year?

I'd rather just suck this year and use the draft pick on somebody who will still be on the team in 2011.

Because you need somebody who can come in and work with guys like Hardy and Johnson and move them along and at least show you if they have anything. A vet QB can do that, where as a rookie can't really.

And there is no QB in this class that I really want anyways.

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Because you need somebody who can come in and work with guys like Hardy and Johnson and move them along and at least show you if they have anything. A vet QB can do that, where as a rookie can't really.

I'll give ya this.

Nothing changes someone's mind quite like the old dollar bill.

The Bills could give him millions, and millions and millions to want to say for 3-4 years.

All I know is right now he doesn't want to be here. But. You never know.. Things change and people change their mind.. Look at what SD did with Sproles yesterday, completely changed their mind.

DraftBoy
03-05-2010, 11:52 AM
I'll give ya this.

Nothing changes someone's mind quite like the old dollar bill.

The Bills could give him millions, and millions and millions to want to say for 3-4 years.

All I know is right now he doesn't want to be here. But. You never know.. Things change and people change their mind.. Look at what SD did with Sproles yesterday, completely changed their mind.

And a commitment to winning as well.

If Buffalo can offer Donovan tons (which they can) and can show him a commitment to have a contender in here by his third year (which they can) then he could be tempted.

Mathja
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Even though its scary to give up picks for an unproven qb, i'd so much rather give up a 2nd, or 2 2nds for Kevin Kolb. Everyone raves about him -- moreso than they ever did about Rob Johnson.
What did Houston give up for Shaub -- i think 2 2nd round picks?? If they went for that, Buffalo could pick the LT they need to round out the O-line with the #9 pick.

ChanGailey
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM

I don't want Clausen/Bradford either. I just don't think it makes sense to trade a valuable draft pick, just to rent a guy for 1 year, two max.

It worked for the Vikings (with Favre), because they were already a great team who just needed a QB. The Cardinals should get McNabb. They are close. We're not.

justasportsfan
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Bledsoe actually wanted to come here. And honestly if we had built a line in front of him, we would've been a competitive team. Dumping him was probably the biggest mistake of the 2000's. (Especially given who and when we dumped him for)

I feel McNabb is more past his prime. He's had more injuries.

Drew wanted to come here because of this

Guys have a way of changing their minds when they feel unwanted. .

Nighthawk
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM

I'm not saying he does or doesn't, but YOU don't know that. You only know what one person told you.

Ron Burgundy
03-05-2010, 11:57 AM
McNabb > Bledsoe.

I have heard from between one and several mostly reliable possible sources that McNabb doesn't mind Buffalo but it's not his first choice. Still, he's open to the possibility, if we were willing to pull the trigger.

trapezeus
03-05-2010, 12:09 PM

Book it.

without peters included this is heavily slanted in philly's favor ;-)

NOT THE DUDE...
03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
this doesnt suprise me but with so many needs, giving up picks is not an option...

Beebe's Kid
03-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Here it goes...the guys that really have sources, getting blasted by the posters with "source envy," after they take something like Sal's OP, and they read "McNabb to Bills Done Deal: Only Waiting For the Ink to Dry!!!"

Held accountable for things never said, gotta love it. The best part is that the assumption is the journalists are the screwed up ones.

jbisset
03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I live in South Jersey. Why do we want McNabb? We need to find the next Jim Kelly. We need to build this team and an old McNabb will not get us to the SB. We need to find the next Jim Kelly.

Anywhere, even if the Bills are willing pay the price the eagles wants for him, McNabb will not sign a new contract with the Bills. If McNabb is not with the eagles next year, he wants to be on a playoff team.

The Bills needs to draft an impact player ( 8+ years Pro bowler) with our first pick. If he is not a QB then let's hope we get the future Jim Kelly next year. No more drafting a second tier QB to develop.

McNabb completion rate is the reason the eagles have never won a SB. He is not a good fit for us. He would be a great fit for Arizona. McNabb live in Arizona during the off season. With McNabb, Arizona would have the be a top 8 team – maybe even win the SB…(LOL)

buffalobillsfan95
03-05-2010, 01:09 PM
I live in South Jersey. Why do we want McNabb? We need to find the next Jim Kelly. We need to build this team and an old McNabb will not get us to the SB. We need to find the next Jim Kelly.

Anywhere, even if the Bills are willing pay the price the eagles wants for him, McNabb will not sign a new contract with the Bills. If McNabb is not with the eagles next year, he wants to be on a playoff team.

The Bills needs to draft an impact player ( 8+ years Pro bowler) with our first pick. If he is not a QB then let's hope we get the future Jim Kelly next year. No more drafting a second tier QB to develop.

McNabb completion rate is the reason the eagles have never won a SB. He is not a good fit for us. He would be a great fit for Arizona. McNabb live in Arizona during the off season. With McNabb, Arizona would have the be a top 8 team – maybe even win the SB…(LOL)
The reason we want him is so we can develop Brohm or a draft pick this year or next year

ChristopherWalken
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
While Philly's asking price might only be a 2nd, McNabb would probably get final say in the destination. He's only contracted through 2010, on the remainder of a 2 year 24 Million dollar extension.

Any club attempting to sign him will want to secure him for at least 2-3 years meaning they would need to restructure his contract.

In other words, if McNabb doesn't want to go to a team like St. Louis for example, he could deny every bit of money being offered by the Rams.

Giving up a 2nd round pick for a 1 year QB is certianly a risk that 99% of franchises would not want to take. Especially as he is set to be an FA during an uncapped year.

33 and nearing the end of his career, I don't think a struggling team like Buffalo is going to be high on his list.

trapezeus
03-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Giving up a 2nd round pick for a 1 year QB is certianly a risk that 99% of franchises would not want to take. Especially as he is set to be an FA during an uncapped year.

with the exception of minny who may think they only need one shot to try and make it happen. If they don't want to get jerked around on the annual favre watch, they could trade hope this year it works out and then be happy with a superbowl.

just my opinion though.

better days
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
While Philly's asking price might only be a 2nd, McNabb would probably get final say in the destination. He's only contracted through 2010, on the remainder of a 2 year 24 Million dollar extension.

Any club attempting to sign him will want to secure him for at least 2-3 years meaning they would need to restructure his contract.

In other words, if McNabb doesn't want to go to a team like St. Louis for example, he could deny every bit of money being offered by the Rams.

33 and nearing the end of his career, I don't think a struggling team like Buffalo is going to be high on his list.

Agreed & an injury prone 33 year old QB should not be anyone the Bills want anyway.

Demon
03-05-2010, 01:36 PM
This would be an amazing deal for Buffalo. It's just too good to be true.

Slim
03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
If this were true i would wait till draft day to make this trade. Just on the off-chance that Bradford did fall to #9, i'd hate to pass on him beacuse we already have Mcnabb.

buffalobillsfan95
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
If this were true i would wait till draft day to make this trade. Just on the off-chance that Bradford did fall to #9, i'd hate to pass on him beacuse we already have Mcnabb.
If Bradford or Clausen fell to us at nine we probbaly will still take one so he could develop behind McNabb but for that to happen we need to get a few OT

ChristopherWalken
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
If Bradford or Clausen fell to us at nine we probbaly will still take one so he could develop behind McNabb but for that to happen we need to get a few OT

Like the idea but that's a hell of a lot of money to tie up one position.

jbisset
03-06-2010, 03:37 PM
The reason we want him is so we can develop Brohm or a draft pick this year or next year

We can get a free agent cheaper who is a pure passer rather than McNabb. McNabb does not have the character to be a good teacher. This team will not have a winner record with McNabb and we will need another good draft next year. Let's use our draft pick to get an impact player. McNabb is not a fit for our team.