PDA

View Full Version : Boldin likely headed to New England

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider) (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/)
New England frontrunner to land Anquan Boldin via trade after Ravens pursued him, according to league sources.

(You GOT to be kidding me. .Moss AND Boldin)

The Spaz
03-05-2010, 02:55 PM
RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider) (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/)
New England frontrunner to land Anquan Boldin via trade after Ravens pursued him, according to league sources.

(You GOT to be kidding me. .Moss AND Boldin)

Also Welker if recovered. That's sick and I might puke.

psubills62
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow, that would really, really stink.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Also Welker if recovered. That's sick and I might puke.

Welker probably won't even be back until mid-season, let alone in his pre-injury form.

This surprises me a little and I wonder about it's validity. I could see Boldin as a player they would like, but given his age and his looking for a new contract, it is not a move without risk.

That said, they do need a WR pretty badly.

wmoz11
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Who cares. We couldn't beat them with Matt Cassel at QB.

methos4ever
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Adam_Schefter Arizona is closing in on a long-anticpated deal to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver Anquan Boldin. Leading contender: Baltimore. KC also in. http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10041510042

EDS
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM

The Pats need a WR pretty badly? Have you seen the Bills roster?

Slim
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Adam_Schefter Arizona is closing in on a long-anticpated deal to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver Anquan Boldin. Leading contender: Baltimore. KC also in. http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter/status/10041510042

I hope this is correct.

psubills62
03-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Welker probably won't even be back until mid-season, let alone in his pre-injury form.

This surprises me a little and I wonder about it's validity. I could see Boldin as a player they would like, but given his age and his looking for a new contract, it is not a move without risk.

I'd say they're in better shape WR-wise than most teams.

But you're right...Boldin's injury risks combined with his wanting a new contract seems a little bit of an odd fit. Mostly because they have other guys who deserve extensions before Boldin would.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd say they're in better shape WR-wise than most teams.

I'm not sure. Moss is in the last year of his deal (they probably like that, though, because it will motivate him) and Welker's injury was very serious.

I think Edelman was a nice find and will be a good player, but beyond that they are pretty thin. Brandon Tate has a lot of talent, but is a complete unknown as an NFL player. David Patten is like 50. The rest are ST-ers at best.

Given the way the Pats offense relies on the passing game, I would say WR is a very big need. That would explain them taking this kind of risk.

T-Long
03-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I'll believe it when Scheffter says it. He only mentioned two teams being in on it, and I'm sure he is all over this developing story. I doubt he goes to NE.

psubills62
03-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure. Moss is in the last year of his deal (they probably like that, though, because it will motivate him) and Welker's injury was very serious.

I think Edelman was a nice find and will be a good player, but beyond that they are pretty thin. Brandon Tate has a lot of talent, but is a complete unknown as an NFL player. David Patten is like 50. The rest are ST-ers at best.

Given the way the Pats offense relies on the passing game, I would say WR is a very big need. That would explain them taking this kind of risk.

Haha I think this is just highlighting the difference between a Bills fan and a Patriots fan. You're looking ahead and seeing it as a big need come the 2011 season. When I think of a "need," I'm thinking that we need that position right away.

If the Patriots can sign Boldin to an extension, that would certainly help their WR situation beyond 2010. However, if they can't, then it appears more like a last-ditch effort to get a SB ring under the recent dynasty, imo.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Haha I think this is just highlighting the difference between a Bills fan and a Patriots fan. You're looking ahead and seeing it as a big need come the 2011 season. When I think of a "need," I'm thinking that we need that position right away.

If the Patriots can sign Boldin to an extension, that would certainly help their WR situation beyond 2010. However, if they can't, then it appears more like a last-ditch effort to get a SB ring under the recent dynasty, imo.

I see it as a big need this year as well. Remember, the Pats base offfense is a 3-wide look. They don't have any sort of TE on the roster, just a couple of PS guys. WR is a critical position in their offense, it killed them last year not having a legit 3rd option.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Here is a second source (Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/ravens_patriots_vying_for_anquan_boldin.html)), saying both Baltimore and NE want him:

The Ravens and the New England Patriots are among the teams trying to acquire Arizona wide receiver Anquan Boldin in a trade. At this point, the Patriots are considered the favorites, but the Ravens haven't been ruled out.

Hopefully it turns out better than the playoff game they recently played.

psubills62
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I see it as a big need this year as well. Remember, the Pats base offfense is a 3-wide look. They don't have any sort of TE on the roster, just a couple of PS guys. WR is a critical position in their offense, it killed them last year not having a legit 3rd option.

I still wouldn't be that worried. Edelman, while he's not as reliable as Welker, filled in admirably as a rookie and should be better this year until Welker returns. Tate has talent and had a year to learn the system. If I remember correctly, last year they focused quite a bit on defense in the draft (Chung, Brace), and could easily get a good receiver in the first or second this year.

G Wolly
03-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Who cares. We couldn't beat them with Matt Cassel at QB.

No, Dick Jauron couldn't beat Matt Cassel's Pats.

Chan's the man

Forward_Lateral
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Please let him go to KC. lol

Ickybaluky
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I still wouldn't be that worried. Edelman, while he's not as reliable as Welker, filled in admirably as a rookie and should be better this year until Welker returns. Tate has talent and had a year to learn the system. If I remember correctly, last year they focused quite a bit on defense in the draft (Chung, Brace), and could easily get a good receiver in the first or second this year.

They have more needs than they have had in a long time:

Offense:

1) nobody left at TE
2) a good WR they can rely on, preferably one around for multiple years
3) old at RB

Of course, their OL is pretty solid and they have the QB, so that is a big plus.

Defense:

1) Pash rush, pass rush, pass rush!
2) Did I mention pass rush?
3) They need a starting OLB, preferably one who can rush the passer (are you hearing me?)
4) They need to re-sign Wilfork and get better depth on the DL
5) If they lose Leigh Bodden, they need help at CB

They do have some young talent in the secondary and are pretty good at ILB.

They also need a punter.

They do have strong draft position this year and can help themselves there.

However, this is a big offseason.

better days
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM

I wonder how Moss would react to Bolden getting the money, the ball, & the glory. I would bet not well.

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Hearing it's not over for Ravens as far as Boldin, Chiefs involved, too. New England interest might wane, per a league source.

(Good news!)

psubills62
03-05-2010, 03:42 PM
They have more needs than they have had in a long time:

Offense:

1) nobody left at TE
2) a good WR they can rely on, preferably one around for multiple years
3) old at RB

Of course, their OL is pretty solid and they have the QB, so that is a big plus.

Defense:

1) Pash rush, pass rush, pass rush!
2) Did I mention pass rush?
3) They need a starting OLB, preferably one who can rush the passer (are you hearing me?)
4) They need to re-sign Wilfork and get better depth on the DL
5) If they lose Leigh Bodden, they need help at CB

They do have some young talent in the secondary and are pretty good at ILB.

They also need a punter.

They do have strong draft position this year and can help themselves there.

However, this is a big offseason.

Haha I hear you. I did a mock draft on a PSU board earlier and had the Patriots taking Sergio Kindle in the first round.

I know the Pats have a first round pick and three 2nd rounders, but what do they have in the later rounds? They could easily pick up a TE in the third, RB and punter later in the draft. They could go CB, OLB, OLB, WR in their first four picks.

I'll be interested to see what they do. I'm sure you understand, I hope they whiff on every pick they have, but I'll still be interested :rockon:

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Now, a different source tells me Patriots are pulling out after Belichick pursued it to the point where they were regarded as frontrunner.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, doesn't sound likely to happen. On to the next guy, I guess.

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
They're obviously going after a WR. Walter, Chambers, Marshall, T.O.. they'll end up with one of em.

dplus47
03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider)
Now, a different source tells me Patriots are pulling out after Belichick pursued it to the point where they were regarded as frontrunner.

Just trying to drive up the price for 2 conference rivals? I wouldn't think Belichick would be that into Boldin with his injury history. Questionable hamstrings + northern climate = not much playing time.

T-Long
03-05-2010, 03:51 PM
They're obviously going after a WR. Walter, Chambers, Marshall, T.O.. they'll end up with one of em.
haha T.O. and Moss on the same team? Never happening.

Ickybaluky
03-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Haha I hear you. I did a mock draft on a PSU board earlier and had the Patriots taking Sergio Kindle in the first round.

I know the Pats have a first round pick and three 2nd rounders, but what do they have in the later rounds? They could easily pick up a TE in the third, RB and punter later in the draft. They could go CB, OLB, OLB, WR in their first four picks.

I'll be interested to see what they do. I'm sure you understand, I hope they whiff on every pick they have, but I'll still be interested :rockon:

They have no 3rd or 5th (Derrick Burgess deal) and an extra 7th. Woudn't surprise me if they trade down with one of their picks and try to fill in the 3rd and 5th round, given their history.

I like Kindle, although I don't think they take a conversion LB in the first round. I think they wait and take one later on. Again, their history.

It wouldn't surprise me if they take a DL in the first round at all. Being a PSU guy, I'd be interested to hear your take on Jared Odrick. I think he is their kind of DL (very strong, controls blockers), and he would be a good fit to replace Seymour.

T-Long
03-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Peter King now says Boldin to Baltimore almost done.

casdhf
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I hope they go after TO.

patmoran2006
03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
If Boldin goes to Baltimore, does that put Owens in cinci?

DraftBoy
03-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Its going to be Derrick Mason, imo. He was linked there earlier and I posted in the Official FA thread.