PDA

View Full Version : You guys are acting like your surprised

DesertFox24
03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Um I am not sure why we as fans are surprised we have not signed anyone to big deals.

In case any of you missed the past three months both Chan and Buddy have said several times that they will not sign high priced guys in FA and would rather resign their own players (see Scott and working on a deal with Wilson).

Lastly we hire as an assistant GM the pro player personal director of the Pittsburgh steelers who notoriously are inactive during any FA, and still you are surprised.

Let me spell the plan out for you guys, we will sign some guys after the storm has died down and FA looking for unreal money are signed. We will be signing depth players, role players, and older vets.

Draft, if you think we are going to draft for need please find a new team. Doug Whaley said it best in the article Allen Wilson wrote about a week or two ago. We are going to resign our guys, try to fill holes with mid to low priced FA, and draft our superstars. The last part says it all right there, we will draft Best Player Available and will not draft for need.

In other words those fans with allusions of us being good next year need to get their acts together and realize we are going to more than likely not be a good team and will be picking top 5 in 2011. However, hopefully the team starts to look a little better by the end of the season and we hope to finish around the 8-8 mark in 2011, and then playoffs in 2012.

THAT IS THE PLAN!!!

Sorry to burst you guys optimism for next year but it is what it is.

A perfect example would be last years jags team they played just about every rookie and second year player they had, and they got better by seasons end. That is what we need to hope for this year.

SABURZFAN
03-05-2010, 06:25 PM
i'm not surprised. I'M PISSED!!!!!!!!! this is why the Bills will be going 11 straight years without a playoff appearance. people talk about ALL of these holes that need to filled. well let's start talking to quality players and not these ham and eggers who are considered backups.

DesertFox24
03-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Don't blame Chan and Buddy.

Blame the real root of the problem Marv Levy for drafting for need and his stupid hire of Dick Jauron.

Unfortunately this team has to rebuild and it is going to do it the correct way the way the steelers have done it forever. That is through the draft and being very smart in FA.

You guys want to get pissed, fine, but blame the correct people. Marv and Dick.

The drafting of Whitner, McCargo, Lynch were all need picks and we could have had superstars instead of them.

At least lynch has 2 1000 yard seasons but we should have taken Revis who was the best player available.

And I wanted that on draft day 08, not today after Revis has been good.

better days
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Don't blame Chan and Buddy.

Blame the real root of the problem Marv Levy for drafting for need and his stupid hire of Dick Jauron.

Unfortunately this team has to rebuild and it is going to do it the correct way the way the steelers have done it forever. That is through the draft and being very smart in FA.

You guys want to get pissed, fine, but blame the correct people. Marv and Dick.

The drafting of Whitner, McCargo, Lynch were all need picks and we could have had superstars instead of them.

At least lynch has 2 1000 yard seasons but we should have taken Revis who was the best player available.

And I wanted that on draft day 08, not today after Revis has been good.

I don't understand all these people *****in about the current staff for the last 10 years problems. They did not create this mess & it will take some time to clean it up. The good news is the Bills may have a shot at Locker next year.

SABURZFAN
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
i can't blame Levy and Jauron for these guys talking to the likes of Wade Smith and Kelley Washington. backup linemen and #4 WR's aren't going to make them any better. if they were legit enough to be starters, i would have no problem. it's half-assed crap like this that i get tired of seeing.

Dicknoze69
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM
i'm not surprised. I'M PISSED!!!!!!!!! this is why the Bills will be going 11 straight years without a playoff appearance. people talk about ALL of these holes that need to filled. well let's start talking to quality players and not these ham and eggers who are considered backups.

The reason we've missed the playoffs for a decade isn't because of our lack of activity in free agency. In fact, we've been relatively active throughout the decade with notable signings including Spikes, Adams, and Dockery. Free agency in the NFL doesn't really win you games and in fact, you're much more likely to hurt your team through poor decisions and overpaying other team's free agents, especially during the first few days when lots of teams are antsy to spend.

The real issue has been our poor drafting, poor QB play, and lack of an overall organizational philosophy. You can't fix these during free agency. My hunch is our current organizational philosophy will be much like the Chargers/Steelers, where you aren't really active in free agency and you work to keep your own. We will add players both through free agency and the draft. However, keep in mind this is a "real" rebuild, rather than the fake rebuild Marv put us through.

DesertFox24
03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
i can't blame Levy and Jauron for these guys talking to the likes of Wade Smith and Kelley Washington. backup linemen and #4 WR's aren't going to make them any better. if they were legit enough to be starters, i would have no problem. it's half-assed crap like this that i get tired of seeing.

Get used to this approach for as long as Buddy, Chan, and Doug Whaley are around.

In fact this method has proven to be far more successful than the redskins model of getting high priced talent.

However, go and pout in your corner if it makes you feel better.

Am I happy we are not going to be good next year, no. However, I understand the approach and will judge the results after the year is done.

Also people seem to forget we are a small market team and we do not have a lot of money.

better days
03-05-2010, 06:55 PM

Who would you have them talking to & signing? They have already said they will spend the money retaining their own players not signing high priced free agents. I myself am all for that, now they just need to draft some players worth keeping.

Philagape
03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
What one thinks about this approach has nothing to do with whether it was expected or not. Announcing it in advance does not shield it from criticism.

Nobody was expecting Peppers, who's pretty much the only big name available. This is a year of mid-level FAs, so a "splash" wasn't going to happen in any case. No team is going to be built around them.
But it wasn't unreasonable to hope for a guy like, say, Kevin Walter. Role players to complement the core.

I don't expect a contender this year, but I do in 2011, if there is football. Teams can make quick turnarounds nowadays. This team hasn't been that far away for the past few years. It's not an expansion team. I demand, at least, a winning record within two years.

SABURZFAN
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
The reason we've missed the playoffs for a decade isn't because of our lack of activity in free agency. In fact, we've been relatively active throughout the decade with notable signings including Spikes, Adams, and Dockery. Free agency in the NFL doesn't really win you games and in fact, you're much more likely to hurt your team through poor decisions and overpaying other team's free agents, especially during the first few days when every time is antsy to spend.

The real issue has been our poor drafting, poor QB play, and lack of an overall organizational philosophy. You can't fix these during free agency. We will add players both through free agency and the draft. However, keep in mind this is a "real" rebuild, rather than the fake rebuild Marv put us through.

i'm more than aware of the piss poor drafting and the piss poor decisions with Free Agency. neither one will singlehandedly turn things around overnight. but do you think contacting a backup OL and a #4 WR is going to help? HELL NO!!!!! if they're going to go low, go after somebody that fills a PRIORITY team need, not something you can take care of in August.

i'm not saying to go after EVERY big star in the FA market. all i ask, as a fan, is for these guys to go after a couple positions that make the team better and try to get a couple draft picks that can possiblty start from Day 1. this team is so horrible that it's not impossible to do. just because previous regimes have failed, it doesn't mean they should tiptoe through Free Agency like a bunch of candy asses.

Dicknoze69
03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
i'm not saying to go after EVERY big star in the FA market. all i ask, as a fan, is for these guys to go after a couple positions that make the team better and try to get a couple draft picks that can possiblty start from Day 1. this team is so horrible that it's not impossible to do. just because previous regimes have failed, it doesn't mean they should tiptoe through Free Agency like a bunch of candy asses.

How do you know they aren't going to use free agency to acquire a couple positions that make the team? We don't have a game tomorrow. There's a lot of time yet to get free agents. I understand the frustration, but overpaying a few guys on the opening days of free agency could set us back rather then help us. If the Bills go into training camp with our current roster plus draftees, then by all means let loose with all sorts of tirades with exclamation points and the caps lock on.

SABURZFAN
03-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Who would you have them talking to & signing? They have already said they will spend the money retaining their own players not signing high priced free agents. I myself am all for that, now they just need to draft some players worth keeping.

i'd be focusing on T's, 3-4 personnel for the front 7, and would have inquired about Boldin. the draft picks would/could come in handy for other areas.

SABURZFAN
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM
How do you know they aren't going to use free agency to acquire a couple positions that make the team? We don't have a game tomorrow. There's a lot of time yet to get free agents. I understand the frustration, but overpaying a few guys on the opening days of free agency could set us back rather then help us. If the Bills go into training camp with our current roster plus draftees, then by all means let loose with all sorts of tirades with exclamation points and the caps lock on.

we've been set back for 10 years in a row. Wade Smith and Kelley Washington aren't filling team needs. the tirades, exclamations, and Cap Locks will only come out if these guys are signed and cut BEFORE the season starts.

SirMcGee
03-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't care who we sign in Free Agency. The NFL draft is where teams strike gold.

PECKERWOOD
03-05-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm not surprised at all, I said this days before free agency started. I still wouldn't mind it if we sprinkled in a moderately priced NT like Aubrayo Franklin, though.

Dicknoze69
03-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm not surprised at all, I said this days before free agency started. I still wouldn't mind it if we sprinkled in a moderately priced NT like Aubrayo Franklin, though.

He was franchised by the 49ers and he wouldn't have been moderately priced.

Bert102176
03-06-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm not surprised hell no one wants to play here and it has to do with all the years that RW has been so damn cheap hellcan't even get any good coaches that wanna coach here RW is and they don't have a clue what will happen to this team when he dies.

OpIv37
03-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Um I am not sure why we as fans are surprised we have not signed anyone to big deals.

In case any of you missed the past three months both Chan and Buddy have said several times that they will not sign high priced guys in FA and would rather resign their own players (see Scott and working on a deal with Wilson).

Lastly we hire as an assistant GM the pro player personal director of the Pittsburgh steelers who notoriously are inactive during any FA, and still you are surprised.

Let me spell the plan out for you guys, we will sign some guys after the storm has died down and FA looking for unreal money are signed. We will be signing depth players, role players, and older vets.

Draft, if you think we are going to draft for need please find a new team. Doug Whaley said it best in the article Allen Wilson wrote about a week or two ago. We are going to resign our guys, try to fill holes with mid to low priced FA, and draft our superstars. The last part says it all right there, we will draft Best Player Available and will not draft for need.

In other words those fans with allusions of us being good next year need to get their acts together and realize we are going to more than likely not be a good team and will be picking top 5 in 2011. However, hopefully the team starts to look a little better by the end of the season and we hope to finish around the 8-8 mark in 2011, and then playoffs in 2012.

THAT IS THE PLAN!!!

A perfect example would be last years jags team they played just about every rookie and second year player they had, and they got better by seasons end. That is what we need to hope for this year.

I don't think "surprised" is really the word. I think "disappointed" and "Frustrated are more appropriate. This is the same "plan" we've enacted 3 times in the last decade and it hasn't worked yet. On top of that, the Jets and Fins got better while the Pats guaranteed that they will at least hold steady, meanwhile we've done nothing. The talent gap between us and the rest of the division continues to grow, and this FO is ok with that. Is winning now realistic? Most likely not, but some of us were at least hoping for some sign of improvement, or at least some sign of being able to staff the D we want to run. Apparently that's too much to ask for Bills fans.

ChanGailey
03-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't think "surprised" is really the word. I think "disappointed" and "Frustrated are more appropriate. This is the same "plan" we've enacted 3 times in the last decade and it hasn't worked yet. On top of that, the Jets and Fins got better while the Pats guaranteed that they will at least hold steady, meanwhile we've done nothing. The talent gap between us and the rest of the division continues to grow, and this FO is ok with that. Is winning now realistic? Most likely not, but some of us were at least hoping for some sign of improvement, or at least some sign of being able to staff the D we want to run. Apparently that's too much to ask for Bills fans.

How dare you question the Bills. Whatever you do, don't start a thread about it or everybody will be up your ass.

It shouldn't take til 2012 to make the f'n playoffs!

Buddo
03-06-2010, 03:04 PM
The FA 'pool' is next to non-existent this year, in case you hadn't noticed.
Last year's draft has pretty well got us 4 starters for sure, in Wood, Byrd, Levitre and Nelson. As a 3-4 LB, Maybin could well start to look like a good acquisition.
Two more drafts like the last one, with 3-4 quality starters, and we could well have ourselves a good team for some considerable time.

As for criticism, I'm not seeing anything that passes for criticism in any educated sort of fashion. More the wailing of spoilt children, who haven't been given the latest shiny thing in the shop, to suck on.

OpIv37
03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
The FA 'pool' is next to non-existent this year, in case you hadn't noticed.
Last year's draft has pretty well got us 4 starters for sure, in Wood, Byrd, Levitre and Nelson. As a 3-4 LB, Maybin could well start to look like a good acquisition.
Two more drafts like the last one, with 3-4 quality starters, and we could well have ourselves a good team for some considerable time.

As for criticism, I'm not seeing anything that passes for criticism in any educated sort of fashion. More the wailing of spoilt children, who haven't been given the latest shiny thing in the shop, to suck on.
spoiled children? How can you even say that after ten years of losing? If anything we're the children crying because we have to go to bed hungry yet again while our classmates got steak for dinner.

Thin FA pool? Hmmmm... Miami and NYJ sure found ways to get better. With other teams getting better and the number of needs we have, it's absurd to say there is no one out there who will help us.

And Maybin is a bust. He's undersized in the 4-3 and he's still undersized for the 3-4. Basically, you just said "a 6-10 team doesn't need to get any fa's because we have a 230 lb de who started for one season in college moving to olb.". Again, absurd.

Buddo
03-06-2010, 04:03 PM
spoiled children? How can you even say that after ten years of losing? If anything we're the children crying because we have to go to bed hungry yet again while our classmates got steak for dinner.

Thin FA pool? Hmmmm... Miami and NYJ sure found ways to get better. With other teams getting better and the number of needs we have, it's absurd to say there is no one out there who will help us.

And Maybin is a bust. He's undersized in the 4-3 and he's still undersized for the 3-4. Basically, you just said "a 6-10 team doesn't need to get any fa's because we have a 230 lb de who started for one season in college moving to olb.". Again, absurd.

That reference was in respect to last year's draft class. Your paraphrasing is verging on inanity tbh.
As to the Jets getting better, that is very much a 'wait and see' situation, if you are referring to the Cromartie signing - there's increasing 'baggage' there, as well as talent. He's going to have to be very ready this year, as he will be being picked on - a lot.
The 'Fins, got a player in Dansby. They lost one in Porter. Taylor is on the decline. Did they get much better?
The bottom line is, that all along, Nix et al have maintained they aren't after 'names', but players who will fit roles. We're a couple of days into FA, and people are frothing at the mouth, because we haven't signed anyone.
The Bills will sign some FAs, but I'm not expecting 'names', but the type of guys who will do a job. The sort of guys all teams need.

Typ0
03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
This thread, while somewhat accurate in some areas, is just a dimwit excuse to think these new guys are going to make things better despite working with the same crap parameters. It's not happening. The drafts could have been better but every time we got a player they left too. Guys signing that contract want big #s long term and we don't get it done. We could draft six superstarts next time around and in three years they would all be gone and we'd be again playing the FA market for depth. This team sucks the dirtiest ass on earth and it's not going to smell better any time soon.

JCBills
03-06-2010, 06:01 PM
"Not drafting for need" just makes no sense, you wouldn't draft a player if you didn't need him.

Nobody takes BPA at every pick, it just doesn't work like that.

I'm actually happy with the build through the draft approach, but they are going to take players where we are weakest.

SABURZFAN
03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't care who we sign in Free Agency. The NFL draft is where teams strike gold.

the drafts in Buffalo haven't been so golden, have they?

feldspar
03-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Why this thread now? It doesn't make any sense for anybody to complain about the lack of activity in free agency. The very term "free agency" doesn't mean what it used to this year. The CBA is out the window, and everybody and his cousin is a RESTRICED free agent, meaning that we have to give up draft picks to get almost all of the big boys. Why would we do that now? Over-pay for big-name veterans AND give up high draft picks all in the same breath? These guys are only getting older...meanwhile, you build a team from the ground up generally.

Over the past couple of days, there have been a very small amount of signings worth talking about by ANY team. How many has there been? Less than five big ones that I can think of.

feldspar
03-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Hmmmm... Miami and NYJ sure found ways to get better.

Yeah, the Jets got better by acquiring Cromartie. As is not the custom, they had to give him money up front immediately because he owes money to his former agent and has back child support payments past due for one or many of his seven children by six women spread across five states...that seems healthy. He's been targeted in five paternity suits over the past two years as well. The Jets also moved Rhodes. Also, I don't see how releasing Thomas Jones makes them better.

Miami picked up Dansby. He's like the highest paid linebacker in NFL history or somewhere thereabouts.

These are the things you have to go through to "get better" through free agency this year, not to mention the lack of cap, which makes it likely that you will have to give up picks to acquire a player that isn't in limbo, if you will.

Mike
03-07-2010, 05:31 AM
How dare you question the Bills. Whatever you do, don't start a thread about it or everybody will be up your ass.

It shouldn't take til 2012 to make the f'n playoffs!

it seems like you are very obedient to outside authority.

Just because its the 'Bills' -by the way a very poorly run sports franchise- they are in no way above reproach.
They are not holier than thou, and we have every right to question them and actively vote with our dollars. I am not one to support a mediocre product, and neither should you, in the name of some displaced loyalty. Instead, save your fuc*ing money, and go out and enjoy some real entertainment. On the other hand, if you are a masochist -meaning you get some perverse enjoyment from watching them loose- than by all means, support them and their loosing ways.

What we all forget, is that this is a business. Pure and simple, it would not surprise me if money is more important to some owners than winning -Ralph being on that list- and for some odd reason, we like the idea of our team not spending as if it were our money! Well its not, he is taking your money, that right your money and instead of giving you a good product in return, he is giving you lip service and in your infinite wisdom, for the past 10 years, you are have been buying it 'hook line and sinker'.

You would think, that if anyone were to learn a lesson first it would be you in realizing that the wool is bing pulled over your eyes yet again. So, in summery you are either really young -teenager-, not very bright, or a masochist who enjoys the Bills loose.

We the Fans who give a shi*, have you to thank for this team, beceuase it is your support that has allowed this franchise to reach such low ground. When business owners know that we will not accept mediocrity, then they will have no choice but to give us a winner!

Spiderweb
03-07-2010, 11:35 PM

THAT IS THE PLAN!!!

Feels more like another 3 year plan to get back to 7-9

SABURZFAN
03-08-2010, 01:38 AM
it seems like you are very obedient to outside authority.

Just because its the 'Bills' -by the way a very poorly run sports franchise- they are in no way above reproach.
They are not holier than thou, and we have every right to question them and actively vote with our dollars. I am not one to support a mediocre product, and neither should you, in the name of some displaced loyalty. Instead, save your fuc*ing money, and go out and enjoy some real entertainment. On the other hand, if you are a masochist -meaning you get some perverse enjoyment from watching them loose- than by all means, support them and their loosing ways.

What we all forget, is that this is a business. Pure and simple, it would not surprise me if money is more important to some owners than winning -Ralph being on that list- and for some odd reason, we like the idea of our team not spending as if it were our money! Well its not, he is taking your money, that right your money and instead of giving you a good product in return, he is giving you lip service and in your infinite wisdom, for the past 10 years, you are have been buying it 'hook line and sinker'.

You would think, that if anyone were to learn a lesson first it would be you in realizing that the wool is bing pulled over your eyes yet again. So, in summery you are either really young -teenager-, not very bright, or a masochist who enjoys the Bills loose.

We the Fans who give a shi*, have you to thank for this team, beceuase it is your support that has allowed this franchise to reach such low ground. When business owners know that we will not accept mediocrity, then they will have no choice but to give us a winner!

i agree. i will not buy a ticket to watch this team until The Old Fart is gone completely. i feel bad for the people who have spent countless dollars on season tickets. their love and passion is blinding them to some of points you made in your post. these fans deserve a helluva lot better than what they've been given.taking one of their home games away from them only proves to me that The Old Fart is more worried about money than winning. this guy paid for his franchise a million times over and the only thing he was concerned about was his "tin cup."