X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

You guys are acting like your surprised

Um I am not sure why we as fans are surprised we have not signed anyone to big deals.

In case any of you missed the past three months both Chan and Buddy have said several times that they will not sign high priced guys in FA and would rather resign their own players (see Scott and working on a deal with Wilson).

Lastly we hire as an assistant GM the pro player personal director of the Pittsburgh steelers who notoriously are inactive during any FA, and still you are surprised.

Let me spell the plan out for you guys, we will sign some guys after the storm has died down and FA looking for unreal money are signed. We will be signing depth players, role players, and older vets.

Draft, if you think we are going to draft for need please find a new team. Doug Whaley said it best in the article Allen Wilson wrote about a week or two ago. We are going to resign our guys, try to fill holes with mid to low priced FA, and draft our superstars. The last part says it all right there, we will draft Best Player Available and will not draft for need.

In other words those fans with allusions of us being good next year need to get their acts together and realize we are going to more than likely not be a good team and will be picking top 5 in 2011. However, hopefully the team starts to look a little better by the end of the season and we hope to finish around the 8-8 mark in 2011, and then playoffs in 2012.

THAT IS THE PLAN!!!

Sorry to burst you guys optimism for next year but it is what it is.

A perfect example would be last years jags team they played just about every rookie and second year player they had, and they got better by seasons end. That is what we need to hope for this year.
    Last edited by DesertFox24; 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM.
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

Re: You guys are acting like your surprised

i'm not surprised. I'M PISSED!!!!!!!!! this is why the Bills will be going 11 straight years without a playoff appearance. people talk about ALL of these holes that need to filled. well let's start talking to quality players and not these ham and eggers who are considered backups.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• DesertFox24
      • Jul 2005

Don't blame Chan and Buddy.

Blame the real root of the problem Marv Levy for drafting for need and his stupid hire of Dick Jauron.

Unfortunately this team has to rebuild and it is going to do it the correct way the way the steelers have done it forever. That is through the draft and being very smart in FA.

You guys want to get pissed, fine, but blame the correct people. Marv and Dick.

The drafting of Whitner, McCargo, Lynch were all need picks and we could have had superstars instead of them.

At least lynch has 2 1000 yard seasons but we should have taken Revis who was the best player available.

And I wanted that on draft day 08, not today after Revis has been good.
      Last edited by DesertFox24; 03-05-2010, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by DesertFox24
        Don't blame Chan and Buddy.

Blame the real root of the problem Marv Levy for drafting for need and his stupid hire of Dick Jauron.

Unfortunately this team has to rebuild and it is going to do it the correct way the way the steelers have done it forever. That is through the draft and being very smart in FA.

You guys want to get pissed, fine, but blame the correct people. Marv and Dick.

The drafting of Whitner, McCargo, Lynch were all need picks and we could have had superstars instead of them.

At least lynch has 2 1000 yard seasons but we should have taken Revis who was the best player available.

And I wanted that on draft day 08, not today after Revis has been good.
        I don't understand all these people *****in about the current staff for the last 10 years problems. They did not create this mess & it will take some time to clean it up. The good news is the Bills may have a shot at Locker next year.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
          short bus extraordinaire
          • Jul 2002

i can't blame Levy and Jauron for these guys talking to the likes of Wade Smith and Kelley Washington. backup linemen and #4 WR's aren't going to make them any better. if they were legit enough to be starters, i would have no problem. it's half-assed crap like this that i get tired of seeing.
          Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
            Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SABURZFAN
            i'm not surprised. I'M PISSED!!!!!!!!! this is why the Bills will be going 11 straight years without a playoff appearance. people talk about ALL of these holes that need to filled. well let's start talking to quality players and not these ham and eggers who are considered backups.
            The reason we've missed the playoffs for a decade isn't because of our lack of activity in free agency. In fact, we've been relatively active throughout the decade with notable signings including Spikes, Adams, and Dockery. Free agency in the NFL doesn't really win you games and in fact, you're much more likely to hurt your team through poor decisions and overpaying other team's free agents, especially during the first few days when lots of teams are antsy to spend.

The real issue has been our poor drafting, poor QB play, and lack of an overall organizational philosophy. You can't fix these during free agency. My hunch is our current organizational philosophy will be much like the Chargers/Steelers, where you aren't really active in free agency and you work to keep your own. We will add players both through free agency and the draft. However, keep in mind this is a "real" rebuild, rather than the fake rebuild Marv put us through.
            Last edited by Dicknoze69; 03-05-2010, 06:55 PM.

God give me style and give me grace
            God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

i can't blame Levy and Jauron for these guys talking to the likes of Wade Smith and Kelley Washington. backup linemen and #4 WR's aren't going to make them any better. if they were legit enough to be starters, i would have no problem. it's half-assed crap like this that i get tired of seeing.
              Get used to this approach for as long as Buddy, Chan, and Doug Whaley are around.

In fact this method has proven to be far more successful than the redskins model of getting high priced talent.

However, go and pout in your corner if it makes you feel better.

Am I happy we are not going to be good next year, no. However, I understand the approach and will judge the results after the year is done.

Also people seem to forget we are a small market team and we do not have a lot of money.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Who would you have them talking to & signing? They have already said they will spend the money retaining their own players not signing high priced free agents. I myself am all for that, now they just need to draft some players worth keeping.

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

What one thinks about this approach has nothing to do with whether it was expected or not. Announcing it in advance does not shield it from criticism.

Nobody was expecting Peppers, who's pretty much the only big name available. This is a year of mid-level FAs, so a "splash" wasn't going to happen in any case. No team is going to be built around them.
                  But it wasn't unreasonable to hope for a guy like, say, Kevin Walter. Role players to complement the core.

I don't expect a contender this year, but I do in 2011, if there is football. Teams can make quick turnarounds nowadays. This team hasn't been that far away for the past few years. It's not an expansion team. I demand, at least, a winning record within two years.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                    short bus extraordinaire
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
                    The reason we've missed the playoffs for a decade isn't because of our lack of activity in free agency. In fact, we've been relatively active throughout the decade with notable signings including Spikes, Adams, and Dockery. Free agency in the NFL doesn't really win you games and in fact, you're much more likely to hurt your team through poor decisions and overpaying other team's free agents, especially during the first few days when every time is antsy to spend.

The real issue has been our poor drafting, poor QB play, and lack of an overall organizational philosophy. You can't fix these during free agency. We will add players both through free agency and the draft. However, keep in mind this is a "real" rebuild, rather than the fake rebuild Marv put us through.

i'm more than aware of the piss poor drafting and the piss poor decisions with Free Agency. neither one will singlehandedly turn things around overnight. but do you think contacting a backup OL and a #4 WR is going to help? HELL NO!!!!! if they're going to go low, go after somebody that fills a PRIORITY team need, not something you can take care of in August.

i'm not saying to go after EVERY big star in the FA market. all i ask, as a fan, is for these guys to go after a couple positions that make the team better and try to get a couple draft picks that can possiblty start from Day 1. this team is so horrible that it's not impossible to do. just because previous regimes have failed, it doesn't mean they should tiptoe through Free Agency like a bunch of candy asses.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                      Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                      • Jul 2002

i'm not saying to go after EVERY big star in the FA market. all i ask, as a fan, is for these guys to go after a couple positions that make the team better and try to get a couple draft picks that can possiblty start from Day 1. this team is so horrible that it's not impossible to do. just because previous regimes have failed, it doesn't mean they should tiptoe through Free Agency like a bunch of candy asses.
                      How do you know they aren't going to use free agency to acquire a couple positions that make the team? We don't have a game tomorrow. There's a lot of time yet to get free agents. I understand the frustration, but overpaying a few guys on the opening days of free agency could set us back rather then help us. If the Bills go into training camp with our current roster plus draftees, then by all means let loose with all sorts of tirades with exclamation points and the caps lock on.

God give me style and give me grace
                      God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
                        Who would you have them talking to & signing? They have already said they will spend the money retaining their own players not signing high priced free agents. I myself am all for that, now they just need to draft some players worth keeping.

i'd be focusing on T's, 3-4 personnel for the front 7, and would have inquired about Boldin. the draft picks would/could come in handy for other areas.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                          short bus extraordinaire
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dicknoze69
                          How do you know they aren't going to use free agency to acquire a couple positions that make the team? We don't have a game tomorrow. There's a lot of time yet to get free agents. I understand the frustration, but overpaying a few guys on the opening days of free agency could set us back rather then help us. If the Bills go into training camp with our current roster plus draftees, then by all means let loose with all sorts of tirades with exclamation points and the caps lock on.

we've been set back for 10 years in a row. Wade Smith and Kelley Washington aren't filling team needs. the tirades, exclamations, and Cap Locks will only come out if these guys are signed and cut BEFORE the season starts.

Comment

• SirMcGee
                            • Feb 2010

I don't care who we sign in Free Agency. The NFL draft is where teams strike gold.
                            DRAFT WISHLIST
                            1) BRYAN BULAGA - OT/IOWA
                            2) JONATHON DWYER - RB/GA TECH
                            3) JASON WORILDS - OLB/ VA. TECH
                            4) TORRELL TROUP - NT/CENTRAL FLORIDA

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                              Defies all logic
                              • Oct 2006

I'm not surprised at all, I said this days before free agency started. I still wouldn't mind it if we sprinkled in a moderately priced NT like Aubrayo Franklin, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X