PDA

View Full Version : Sabres PP

OpIv37
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
We all know this is a problem, but I wanted to point out a few things I saw on the second PP.

On the first rush, Myers skated the puck in and the point man (I think it was Pominville but I'm not sure) came in on his left- Myers dropped the puck back to him and they established the zone. Philly eventually cleared.

On the next rush, Myers looked like he was going to skate the puck in, but couldn't, so he dumped it. The problem is that the other 4 guys were expecting a skate in, so when he dumped, they were caught flat-footed and Philly easily beat them to the puck.

On the rush after that, Myers skated the puck in and did the drop pass again, this time to Torres. Unfortunately, since they JUST DID THIS 30 SECONDS AGO, it was way too predictable, the Philly fwd came up on Torres and it led to a short-handed scoring chance for Philly.

Now, I have no real 5-on-5 hockey experience. All the organized hockey I've played was 4 on 4 roller hockey, and the only time I've gone 5 on 5 is in pick up games. So, if I can sit on my couch and pick up on these things, you can be damn sure the Sabres' opponents and opposing coaches are all over it. There is simply no excuse for having a PP that is so out of sync and predictable.

chubluv
03-05-2010, 10:05 PM
I was at the game. Our PP was very sloppy and predictable. I also think Lindy is playing Myers to much. He probably hasn't played this many games before he needs a little less ice time IMO. The kid is wearing out.

Nighthawk
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
It's obvious that none of the coaches on this team have a freakin' clue how to coach a good PP...hasn't been consistently good since Scott Arniel left. McCutcheon should be fired...the guy is terrible and Ruff is not a good PP coach himself. This team needs major changes in the offseason or we will continue to see mediocre play from this team.

DrGraves
03-06-2010, 01:11 AM
I wouldn't call it predictable... you can 1. dump it in the zone or 2. skate it in.

there isn't much variability there..

Nighthawk
03-06-2010, 06:44 AM
I wouldn't call it predictable... you can 1. dump it in the zone or 2. skate it in.

there isn't much variability there..

You have never played hockey, have you? There are many more things that equal a good PP. For one, the guys need to move their feet and find holes in the zone to receive a good pass and take a good shot. If they just stand around, like the Sabres do, then it makes it really easy on the other team to defend. This team is just brutal at running the PP and the lack of good coaching is very evident.

BlackMetalNinja
03-06-2010, 06:55 AM
It's obvious that none of the coaches on this team have a freakin' clue how to coach a good PP...hasn't been consistently good since Scott Arniel left. McCutcheon should be fired...the guy is terrible and Ruff is not a good PP coach himself. This team needs major changes in the offseason or we will continue to see mediocre play from this team.Which is why I laughed out loud when they said that Ruff as in charge of the PP unit for Team Canada.

The biggest issue I saw last night, and it wasn't just on the PP, was sloppy, weak passes. Tons of them and tons of resulting turnovers.

Nighthawk
03-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Which is why I laughed out loud when they said that Ruff as in charge of the PP unit for Team Canada.

The biggest issue I saw last night, and it wasn't just on the PP, was sloppy, weak passes. Tons of them and tons of resulting turnovers.

I agree...this team is just soft and it shows in their play with the puck and particularly how strong they are with the puck when it is on their stick. They just are not strong with their passes, nor do they compete hard enough when they have the puck on their stick...they are too worried about getting hit, rather then owning the puck. It's a mindset and this team just doesn't possess it...it sucks, but it is what it is.

Ground Chuck
03-06-2010, 11:24 AM
This team has a screaming need for a #1 center. I was hoping they would get a rental at the deadline.