PDA

View Full Version : Talk about career suicide

ChanGailey
03-06-2010, 08:01 AM
How the HEEEELLLL did Nix n Co. talk George Edwards into leaving Florida??

Hey George, you should come to Buffalo!

The weather sucks, our owner's cheap. We're gonna switch defenses and only play players out of their natural positions. That's right, we're going to move Stroud and Spencer to d-end and we're going to move Kyle Williams to nose tackle, that way we'll have little-to-no chance of success.

We have a one year wonder 130lb OLB, our other quality D-end is retiring. Kelsay is horrible but we'll call him in a linebacker, maybe that'll change something.

We won't add any talent. We'll only draft guys that'll have to change positions, just like last year. That's our formula for failure.

Edwards made a big ole mistake coming to this trainwreck.

Night Train
03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Glad we could provide a personal wailing wall for you. :bf1:

Keep up the fascinating insite !

Yasgur's Farm
03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
We need a *****ing forum.

ZAZusmc03
03-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Maybe his threads should be deleted immediately after posting.

BillsWin
03-06-2010, 08:23 AM
You are becoming a troll with all your negative threads one day into free agency.

Rebuilding takes time. It wasn't going to happen overnight.

If we draft a bunch of losers I will be right on the bash train with you, but right now everyone needs to relax.

Ralph dug this team a whole over the course of ten years.

If anyone thinks going out and signing a Dansby or a Brandon Marshall, or a Cromartie would put us over the top overnight, or even in good shape is kidding themselves.

A. high end free agents don't want to go to a rebuilding team.

and...

B. What Nix is going to try and do is the two to three year rebuild.

This season we will draft for need with BPA on the mind. We might even go after our future franchise QB if we see one we like.

Then we will fill the rest of our needs with low end to middle of the road free agents. At least the ones that are left.

Next season is when you start to improve on what you have. Maybe now you go after the big fish in free agency. Someone who will instantly make the team better. Finish upgrading through the draft.

Now you are starting to compete. Because the 2009 and 2010 drafts have matured and the 2011 draft is maturing.

2012 is the year the Bills should be doing something in the playoffs.

BillsWin
03-06-2010, 08:24 AM
And as for the whole Edwards point in this thread NFL > College coordinating.

If he can succeed in the NFL, especially with converting the Bills defense to a successful 3-4, then he will be just fine.

ChanGailey
03-06-2010, 08:45 AM
And as for the whole Edwards point in this thread NFL > College coordinating.

If he can succeed in the NFL, especially with converting the Bills defense to a successful 3-4, then he will be just fine.

My point is that he's not only going to have to convert the Bills to a 3-4, but he's going to have to convert like 4 or 5 of his front 7 to new positions, as well.

I never said I wanted Dansby, Peppers or Cromartie. But we need more talent, it can't be done in just one draft.

The Dolphins proved that you can go from 1-15 and win the division the next year. That should be the goal. Anything lower is called settling for mediocrity.

It's just rinse and repeat. We've been rebuilding since 2001. There is no sense of urgency.

If it was my job to build a winner I wouldn't be sitting on my ass doing nothing!

Dicknoze69
03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
It's just rinse and repeat. We've been rebuilding since 2001. There is no sense of urgency.

Despite our decade of mediocrity, we certainly have not been rebuilding since 2001. What we've seen the last decade is a team that deludes itself into thinking they're a few pieces away from contending. I expect this to be a complete and total rebuild. Keep in mind our brain trust last season thought our 6-10 team was going to be a contender.

Also, the Dolphins are a poor example because they lucked into a quarterback who finished 2nd in the MVP voting and it's fairly unlikely anyone like that will be available.

If Nix's time in San Diego is any indication, he's looking to make us a perennial playoff team, not win a few more games in the upcoming season.

MikeInRoch
03-06-2010, 08:59 AM
We won't add any talent. We'll only draft guys that'll have to change positions, just like last year. That's our formula for failure.

Last year's draft was pretty good, thanks.

ChanGailey
03-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Last year's draft was pretty good, thanks.

Ok, Byrd and Levitre don't make an entire draft.

Wood is disabled, may not be the same ever again.

Maybin, the top pick, completely terrible and IDK if moving him a foot outside is going to make it any harder to block him.

And, who else? Lankster? Harris? They did nothing.

So by last years "pretty good" status, we will get 2 and a half starters out of this draft.

Whew, I guess I don't need to worry anymore.

Dr. Lecter
03-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Ok, Byrd and Levitre don't make an entire draft.

Maybin, the top pick, completely terrible and IDK if moving him a foot outside is going to make it any harder to block him.

And, who else? Lankster? Harris? They did nothing.

So by last years "pretty good" status, we will get 2 and a half starters out of this draft.

Whew, I guess I don't need to worry anymore.

Wood was a good pick. Might his career be hampered? Sure. That does not make it a bad pick.

And they also drafted this Nelson guy, that you conveniently ignore.

But I do agree that Maybin was a bad pick.

But 4 possible solid picks in one draft is pretty good - Nelson, Wood, Levitre and Byrd.

As for Lankster, he was a 7th round pick. He does get a year or two.

SquishDaFish
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Wood was a good pick. Might his career be hampered? Sure. That does not make it a bad pick.

But 4 possible solid picks in one draft is pretty good - Nelson, Wood, Levitre and Byrd.

Totally agree with you bro. Except Maybin I think will be a much better looked at pic after this year when he moves to where he should of been playing OLB

MikeInRoch
03-06-2010, 10:00 AM

This line alone shows that you are not worth listening to. You cannot claim that it was a bad pick because he had a freak injury.

don137
03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Two things. One, This is not your average year due to it being an uncapped year so the pickings are not that good unless you want to over pay and the Bills are not in position to overpay.
CG, your constant whining like a little spoiled kid is ruining this forum. All I see is threads started by you and chronicly complaining. No one is happy about the situation the Bills are in but sitting back and whining non stop is not constructive and ruining it for everyone. Football is a game. Quit taking it so seriously. The people of Haiti and Chile have a lot more to complain about. Lighten up.

Typ0
03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Just curious which option below you believe is the criteria for a good pick:

1) A guy who contributes on the field, has some longevity in his career and plays up to or outperforms the value of his contract.

2) A guy who a bunch of people have the opinion he was a good pick.

MikeInRoch
03-06-2010, 10:25 AM

1) A guy who contributes on the field, has some longevity in his career and plays up to or outperforms the value of his contract.

Which category do you put a promising draft pick who has a really good career start before a freak injury takes him out? Do you judge the front office because they somehow should have seen that freak injury coming?

Typ0
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
This line alone shows that you are not worth listening to. You cannot claim that it was a bad pick because he had a freak injury.

Forget about the player. A draft pick was used that rendered little or no value. That is a bad pick no matter what the situation. Plus, you equally can't assume the player was going to have the type of career just because they got hurt.

Typ0
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Which category do you put a promising draft pick who has a really good career start before a freak injury takes him out? Do you judge the front office because they somehow should have seen that freak injury coming?

It all still remains to be seen. If he doesn't do anything going forward he gets put in the bad pick category I don't care what promise he had going in. The whole idea of "good pick" is not revealed until years into the future after the guy has played at least into the middle of his career. It has nothing to do with the media or a bunch of guys on a message board babbling about how much promise someone has.

MikeInRoch
03-06-2010, 10:41 AM
It all still remains to be seen. If he doesn't do anything going forward he gets put in the bad pick category I don't care what promise he had going in. The whole idea of "good pick" is not revealed until years into the future after the guy has played at least into the middle of his career. It has nothing to do with the media or a bunch of guys on a message board babbling about how much promise someone has.

The front office CANNOT be judged for something that was completely a FUTURE event. Thinking otherwise is just stupid.

Typ0
03-06-2010, 10:46 AM
The front office CANNOT be judged for something that was completely a FUTURE event. Thinking otherwise is just stupid.

Your logic is ludicrous. You are saying that because the media and the team spun someone up and a bunch of blow hards on a message board things someone has potential they can be judged on that? Get real. The only way to judge anything is based on true performance not assumptions and opinions.

MikeInRoch
03-06-2010, 10:47 AM

The answer, by the way, is that a "good pick" is a player who has the talent, mentality, and attitude to become an excellent player at the position, with no visible downside. If the front office mis-judges the talent, mentality, and attitude, then it's on them. If some random freak thing happens, then it's not.

Typ0
03-06-2010, 10:53 AM
The answer, by the way, is that a "good pick" is a player who has the talent, mentality, and attitude to become an excellent player at the position, with no visible downside. If the front office mis-judges the talent, mentality, and attitude, then it's on them. If some random freak thing happens, then it's not.

All of those things are opinions. Anyone that says the day after the draft that the previous days draft was full of good picks is either an idiot or joking. It's one thing to say you liked a pick or player but a whole other one to say a pick's quality was tangible. That's the idea I was attacking with my original post in this thread. We can argue back and forth until the cows come home about how good a pick is or isn't and it's just our opinion until the player gets on the field and proves it in the long run. If the team gets little out of it how can you possibly rationalize that it's a good pick?

better days
03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Your logic is ludicrous. You are saying that because the media and the team spun someone up and a bunch of blow hards on a message board things someone has potential they can be judged on that? Get real. The only way to judge anything is based on true performance not assumptions and opinions.

Blow hards on a message board that judge a draft after only one year are just that...........blow hards. It takes at least 3 years to judge a draft.

ChanGailey
03-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Wow. You have to make this insulting comment toward me, saying I'm not worth listening to. First off, when did I say Wood wasn't a good pick. The fact is, players get injured, and often it's serious.

That's all part of it. We had 18 players on injured reserve last year. What if Wood can't come back? Would you still count him as a starter from that draft? No. Not even a jackass would count him as a starter when he can't play.

The point is that there are going to be some guys that get hurt, some guys that get sick, some guys that lose their balls like Trent. You need to cast a wide net and bring in as much talent as possible.

You can't put it all on one guy to stay healthy for a season and anchor a position down. What if Levitre get's hurt? Then what? Your telling me we don't need more players??

ChanGailey
03-06-2010, 11:32 AM

The front office CAN be blamed for not being PREPARED to lose players to injury. We have 3 good linemen total. We need to add 5 or 6 to field a deep line that you could say ok we lost one guy, this guy is solid that we're putting in.

I like Eric Wood as much as the next guy. Do you think he can be counted on? The guy still hasn't even walked, let alone run or do squats or do what he needs to be ready.

And I'm not even talking about the mental effect it could have, getting your leg snapped.

I'm happy with the pick of Wood. But, to let Incognito just walk was stupid, given the uncertainty of what will happen with Wood.

Everybody put's words in my mouth, that I want to sign Peppers or draft Claussen. That's not what I want. What I want is a team with a plan, and some balls. Maybe some aggressiveness in getting an impact player.

If they went out and went after Dwan Edwards from Baltimore, I'd be ecstatic. Instead, I get Kelley Washington.

MikeInRoch
03-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Wow. You have to make this insulting comment toward me, saying I'm not worth listening to. First off, when did I say Wood wasn't a good pick. The fact is, players get injured, and often it's serious.

You used him as an example as to why it wasn't a "good draft". So are you saying he was a good pick but he helped make it a bad draft?

Your telling me we don't need more players??

Who ever said that?

ChanGailey
03-06-2010, 11:38 AM
You used him as an example as to why it wasn't a "good draft". So are you saying he was a good pick but he helped make it a bad draft?

Who ever said that?

No, the point is that even on a good draft, your not going to get 4 or 5 starters. You'll be lucky with 3, and then if one gets injured, you have 2...Which is what happened to us.

Do I like Nelson? Yes. Does he have potential? Yes. Has he done anything of note yet? No. Does he seem to be injured like every couple weeks. Yes.

I like Nelson, but if they added a tight end I wouldn't be saying "Hey we have this all star Nelson what are you doing"

And your answer then, is yes, we do need players. So why aren't we getting them? That's what I'm talking about. We need to add easily 6 or 7 defensive players. I don't even care if they are starters or not, but we need more depth and overall talent.

If we got a starting DE and a possible starting RT in free agency I'd be happy. From there I'd just want depth.

I just think the total lack of activity will be negative in the end. I don't think it needs to take 3 years to be competitive.

Dicknoze69
03-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Everybody put's words in my mouth, that I want to sign Peppers or draft Claussen. That's not what I want. What I want is a team with a plan, and some balls. Maybe some aggressiveness in getting an impact player.

If they went out and went after Dwan Edwards from Baltimore, I'd be ecstatic. Instead, I get Kelley Washington.

I can assure you that our front office does in fact have a plan of doing a complete rebuild, drafting well, keeping those draftees, and using FA sparingly. However, that plan seems directly opposed to what you want us to do. Also, keep in mind that free agency just started, we don't have a game next weekend and free agency doesn't end tomorrow. There's a lot of time.

As for Edwards, he's going to get decent money. Although he's a good player, I'd be hesitant to commit a good chunk of change to a part-time starter who missed all of 2008 with spinal surgery.

better days
03-06-2010, 12:25 PM
No, the point is that even on a good draft, your not going to get 4 or 5 starters. You'll be lucky with 3, and then if one gets injured, you have 2...Which is what happened to us.

Do I like Nelson? Yes. Does he have potential? Yes. Has he done anything of note yet? No. Does he seem to be injured like every couple weeks. Yes.

I like Nelson, but if they added a tight end I wouldn't be saying "Hey we have this all star Nelson what are you doing"

And your answer then, is yes, we do need players. So why aren't we getting them? That's what I'm talking about. We need to add easily 6 or 7 defensive players. I don't even care if they are starters or not, but we need more depth and overall talent.

If we got a starting DE and a possible starting RT in free agency I'd be happy. From there I'd just want depth.

I just think the total lack of activity will be negative in the end. I don't think it needs to take 3 years to be competitive.

I think you will see much more activity this year AFTER the draft. Teams do not have to cut players this year because of money. The only reason a team will have to cut a player is because they do not have room on the roster for him. After the draft you may see many guys that are no longer in a teams plans become available because of who they drafted & those guys may be better than many of the current FA's.

Griff
03-07-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm trying to figure out who is more annoying at this point, HH or Gaily

YardRat
03-07-2010, 05:25 AM
If Woods ends up never seeing the field again he becomes a 'bad' pick, even if the circumstances exclude the front office from bearing any responsibility for the outcome.

I'd like to see somebody justify Booker Moore as being a 'good' pick.

ChanGailey
03-07-2010, 09:44 AM
My main point is that if we rely exclusively on the draft, we can add 2-3 quality players a year. The rest would take years to develop, and/or never see the field.

At that rate, by the time we get to year 3, Stroud, Evans, Kelsay, Mitchell, McGee, Wilson - they'll all be either retired or close to it, so then in year 3 we have to start drafting their replacements. Who'll either be thrown in too soon, or need several years to develop.

This team could use 4-5 new starters on offense and 4-5 new starters on defense. That's 8-10 new players, impact players, before we can be competitive.

So at the rate of 2 per draft every year and 0 through free agency every year, it'll be 2015 before we have drafted enough players to have a solid team. And again, by 2015, of our current starting caliber players, who will be left?

Some of them will get injured. Some of them will get old.

BertSquirtgum
03-07-2010, 10:56 AM
shuddah yo mouth, chan

Dr. Lecter
03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
If Woods ends up never seeing the field again he becomes a 'bad' pick, even if the circumstances exclude the front office from bearing any responsibility for the outcome.

I'd like to see somebody justify Booker Moore as being a 'good' pick.

The only two outcomes are not "good" or "bad" when it comes to discussing picks. False assumption.

Typ0
03-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Don't forget, if any of the guys we draft turn out to be really good they'll be leaving for greener pastures after year three. We'll need to draft their replacements too. Along with the strategy to get a bunch of third stringers on the team "for depth" this whole draft building thing really looks like it's going to work out. Same old crap is what it is and clearly will culminate in mediocrity. How surprising. We've become a stepping stone of a professional sports team.

My main point is that if we rely exclusively on the draft, we can add 2-3 quality players a year. The rest would take years to develop, and/or never see the field.

At that rate, by the time we get to year 3, Stroud, Evans, Kelsay, Mitchell, McGee, Wilson - they'll all be either retired or close to it, so then in year 3 we have to start drafting their replacements. Who'll either be thrown in too soon, or need several years to develop.

This team could use 4-5 new starters on offense and 4-5 new starters on defense. That's 8-10 new players, impact players, before we can be competitive.

So at the rate of 2 per draft every year and 0 through free agency every year, it'll be 2015 before we have drafted enough players to have a solid team. And again, by 2015, of our current starting caliber players, who will be left?

Some of them will get injured. Some of them will get old.