PDA

View Full Version : Wade Smith leaves Buffalo without a contract

patmoran2006
03-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Report circulating that Smith has NOT signed with the Bills (at least as of yet) and will be visiting the Houston Texans.

patmoran2006
03-06-2010, 12:06 PM
And I went to the Ralph for nothing, because there was no press conference

buffalobillsfan95
03-06-2010, 12:07 PM
wow we can't even get a Back up!!! to sighn with us. How pathetic

patmoran2006
03-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I've already spoken to someone who said the Bills really want Wade Smith. They valued him a lot more than Incognito, which is why they didn't offer him a tender.

I don't care what Chris Brown or anyone else tells you, if the doesnt sign with Buffalo I promise you this is a blow to their plans. They envisioned him as a possible starting right guard this year.

buffalobillsfan95
03-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Bring Incognito back!!!!

better days
03-06-2010, 12:12 PM
The trip to Houston was already set up before. He probably wants to see if they will give him a better offer. Can't blame him or the Bills for that. I'm sure the Bills want him, but I doubt they want to overpay him. He is not the final missing piece.

YardRat
03-06-2010, 12:13 PM
The Texans are going to be thrilled...

Interesting comment from Florio via a KC site...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/3/6/1359803/former-chiefs-ol-wade-smith

Reading the tea leaves it appears former Kansas City Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/KAN) OL Wade Smith (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1268/Wade_Smith) will head to the Buffalo Bills (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/BUF).
Moments ago the Bills issued a release via text message that Smith would meet with the Buffalo media. However, indications are that a deal is not complete yet.
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5547.jpg
Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk explains that this is an approach employed by several teams (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/wade-smith-will-meet-the-buffalo-media-at-noon/). The team meets wit the media before a deal is done and usually the player ends up signing a deal.

"But the approach carries with it some risk," Florio writes. "After all, Smith could stroll to the podium today and say, "My visit here really sucked. Can someone drive me to the airport? Now?""

cbatl32
03-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I've already spoken to someone who said the Bills really want Wade Smith. They valued him a lot more than Incognito, which is why they didn't offer him a tender.

I don't care what Chris Brown or anyone else tells you, if the doesnt sign with Buffalo I promise you this is a blow to their plans. They envisioned him as a possible starting right guard this year.

Starting right guard? Meaning Wood not going to be healthy this year or Wood moving to center?

DBrown77
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Starting right guard? Meaning Wood not going to be healthy this year or Wood moving to center?did they forget we need a tackle? well 2 tackles!

mark1126
03-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I think it's funny all these expectations that players will come to buffalo, players saw what happened to T.O. when he gave the bills a chance and signed..the players are using the bills for leverage and not one "name" players who has started a significant number of games in the NFL will sign with the bills. Additionally, the bills only will be able to sign players where no other NFL team wants them and the bills are the only option if they want to play pro football and not try canada. The names they sign will have passed thru waivers or rode the bench moving from team to team each year. They will be name you have to google like Marlon Favorite and Jason Watkins..lol...its pathetic

ChristopherWalken
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
The fact that this guy played for both Gailey and the OL coach in KC last season and didn't sign could speak volumes on what's in store this season.

patmoran2006
03-06-2010, 12:20 PM
story
-------
I’m going out on a limb here and predicting that in your office pools or various message board contests, few if any had the Buffalo Bills making their first free agent target Wade Smith. In fact, don’t be embarrassed if you’ve never heard of him at all, many haven’t.

As fans spent the majority of opening free agency day Friday hitting the refresh button on Twitter, KFFL and various other tracking websites every other minute, an impressive lineup of free agent signings and visits immediately began to take shape.

Julius Peppers, Chester Taylor, Anquan Boldin, Karlos Dansby and Antrel Roelle were among the big names changing teams on day one.

Meanwhile, countless fans were dismayed to learn after several hours of unnerving waiting that the guy brought in for a visit to One Bills Drive was Chiefs part-time offensive line starter Wade Smith.

You shouldn’t be angry.

Well, maybe you should be. Smith left Buffalo Saturday afternoon without a contract and I’m told he’s flying to Houston to visit with the Texans.
Smith was scheduled to have a session with the media this afternoon but it was called off because after the Bills released a statement only saying the meeting went well but also went a lot longer than they anticipated.

In regards to people saying Smith signing or not doesn’t matter, I spoke to someone inside the Bills organization Friday evening who told me Smith had been high on their radar for several weeks and they valued him as an interior lineman far more than Incognito, which is why they let the big-name, big-penalty, big-rage machine Richie Incognito walk away.

“Buddy (Nix) has said we’re not looking for a bunch of big names,” he said. “We’re looking for good football players and Wade Smith is a very good and underrated football player. He’ll help this team get better up front. He can play multiple positions and he’s capable of starting at any of them as well.”

According to the source, the Bills see Smith as a player who would start at right guard if Eric Wood is not fully recovered from the severe broken leg he suffered last year. If he ends up signing and doesn’t start he’ll be the top reserve at both guard spots and center. At the very least, call him an upgrade over last year’s player at the position, Seth McKinney.

Not all, but at least some fans seem to suffer from severe short term memory loss. Does anyone not remember how pathetic Buffalo’s offensive line was in 2009? Even worse, how bad did things get once the splat of injuries occurred?

Smith is far better than anyone the Bills had for interior offensive line depth last year and that includes Incognito, who got a lot of Bills fans upset when he wasn’t tendered and allowed free to sign wherever he pleases.

I also spoke to a writer that covers the Chiefs. Joel Thorton covers the team for Arrowhead Pride, part of the SB Nation network. He told me Smith isn’t flashy but every good team needs players like him.

“Wade Smith is one of those players that will never get the headlines but coaches seem to like to have,” Thormon said. “Throughout various times in the 2009 season, Smith was able to competently fill in at center, guard and tackle. He’s probably not starting material for an above average offensive line but is a great swing man to have.”

Thorman also said many Chiefs fans were befuddled their organization let him walk.

“He will be missed in Kansas City because he quietly went about his business and did the dirty work that not a lot of folks want to do.” He said.

But what seemed like an imminent signing last night is no longer the case. Smith leaving without a deal is not looking promising. He could be simply seeing what Houston or another team has to offer, but typically when a players exits Orchard Park without a deal, they end up signing elsewhere.

SABURZFAN
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM

so they expect Wood not be ready for next season. it makes sense now but this team needs to be able to run the ball. you can get guys like Smith when teams are trimming their rosters in August.

patmoran2006
03-06-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't know if they expect Wood to be ready or not.. I think that they do, but it's certainly possible he's not and they really want someone as valuable insurance.

A guy like Smith is capable of starting at RG, and if not he'd be the top backup at all three interior positions. Basicallly, a much improved version of Seth McKinney

jdbillsfan
03-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Born in Dallas. Wouldn't be surprised if he preferred Houston.

Bert102176
03-06-2010, 01:00 PM
if anyone expectsthe Bills to sign a free agent that is even decentyou gravely mistakin, this organization is falling apart and it all starts with the ownership.

Slim
03-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Pat you should start your open FA threads like last off-season. I looked forward to skimming through those every day.

patmoran2006
03-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Pat you should start your open FA threads like last off-season. I looked forward to skimming through those every day.
Honestly, I'm having a hard time finding out anything; this orgnanization has managed the art of keeping any leaks tight lipped since last season.

I mean, it took me actually speaking to Christian Gaddis himself to find out that was tendered before the deadline.. The Bills STILL haven't announced it.

Slim
03-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Honestly, I'm having a hard time finding out anything; this orgnanization has managed the art of keeping any leaks tight lipped since last season.

I mean, it took me actually speaking to Christian Gaddis himself to find out that was tendered before the deadline.. The Bills STILL haven't announced it.

Well, I'm thinking we will see a little more life out of OBD sometime mid-next week. It was like this last year than we had Coles, Simmons, and Hang visit.

Slim
03-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Billswin has been oddly absent since the start of FA.