PDA

View Full Version : Whitner's status with Bills uncertain

shelby
03-07-2010, 06:56 AM
As we have been discussing....

<!-- --> The Buffalo Bills' retention of two veteran safeties this week has increased speculation about the team's plans for Donte Whitner.
Neither of the safeties retained — George Wilson and Bryan Scott — are getting starter money at the moment. Scott signed a two-year deal for about $3 million. Wilson was retained as a restricted free agent with a one-year tender offer of $1.75 million.
But both have starting experience, and Wilson is coming off a good season in which he started 12 games at strong safety. The fact Wilson moved ahead of Whitner on the depth chart for two games in the second half of the season is the fuel for the speculation: Will the Bills' new regime deem Whitner expendable?
Whitner even got a flurry of messages from well-wishers on his Twitter account over the weekend regarding rumors he might get traded, all of which he seemed to take in stride.
"Just win, and it all goes away!" he responded.
And: "Just so people out there don't get it twisted. I do understand that people are upset about us as a team."
Jairus Byrd has a lock on the free-safety job. Wilson can play either safety spot. Scott is a strong safety.
Whitner opened the 2009 season as the Bills' starting free safety and held that spot for three games. But a thumb injury forced him to the sideline and Byrd into the free-safety spot. Byrd put a vice-grip on the job by intercepting eight passes in a five-game stretch and finishing the season with nine pickoffs, tied for the NFL lead.

read more... (http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/06/979421/whitners-status-with-bills-uncertain.html)

Night Train
03-07-2010, 07:27 AM
That's obvious but also means his trade value is almost nill.

Scott & Wilson were FA's who have done everything the Bills have asked of them. Wilson was a good hands WR who was buried on the depth chart & made the improbable switch to Safety and has thrived with his top shelf work ethic. Great ST's player in addition. He can play FS or SS
Scott is strictly an in the box SS who excels against the run and has been very good at it. Filled in at LB when we were desperate.

I have never held any hard feeling towards Whitner. It was Jaurons call (mistake) to pick him over Ngata in the draft and the Cover 2 was such a titanic failure here.

Since Wilson ws just tendered and Scott signed a cheap 2 year deal, it's not automatic that Whitner will be traded, unless the Bills could get a useful player in return or a decent draft pick. Trading him for a 5th-6th rounder would do nothing to help us and Whitner isn't costing much now.

Buddo
03-07-2010, 08:10 AM
I would say that you are seriously underestimating Whitners trade value. I doubt the Bills would part with him for less than a 3rd rounder tbh.

ChanGailey
03-07-2010, 09:39 AM
That's obvious but also means his trade value is almost nill.

Scott & Wilson were FA's who have done everything the Bills have asked of them. Wilson was a good hands WR who was buried on the depth chart & made the improbable switch to Safety and has thrived with his top shelf work ethic. Great ST's player in addition. He can play FS or SS
Scott is strictly an in the box SS who excels against the run and has been very good at it. Filled in at LB when we were desperate.

I have never held any hard feeling towards Whitner. It was Jaurons call (mistake) to pick him over Ngata in the draft and the Cover 2 was such a titanic failure here.

Since Wilson ws just tendered and Scott signed a cheap 2 year deal, it's not automatic that Whitner will be traded, unless the Bills could get a useful player in return or a decent draft pick. Trading him for a 5th-6th rounder would do nothing to help us and Whitner isn't costing much now.

Look at what the Jets got for Rhodes. Other than they beat us to the punch in getting the deal with Arizona, I'd think we could at least get ALMOST what they got.

Although Whitner is pretty much the NFL's biggest douche. That can't help his value.

JPFBillsFan
03-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Whitner & Schobel to Philly or Houston for a 2nd in 2010, & a 3rd in 2011.......DO IT

DynaPaul
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
He was a reach in the draft and we should reach out and kick him out of Buffalo. I'd take a 3rd rounder for him because he isn't worth a 1st.

Night Train
03-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Although Whitner is pretty much the NFL's biggest douche.

What is Irony, Alex.. :rofl: