• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Frustration is growing

I spent all weekend trying to talk to a few people who I'm usually at least moderately good at getting some Bills inside information from, and here is what I've been able to get...

Nothing... Literally

I (and I hope most fans in here have noticed) have been trying very hard to keep an even keel regarding the Bills lately. As a reporter who has my own website, on occasion I write an opionated column but the vast majority of the time it's my job to report on news and have that (and not me) become the story.

But it's getting very hard to do now.. I, along with a lot of you who are already there I'm sure, am growing more and more frustrated by the day over the past few days.

Look, I never expected the Bills to go after the few big-ticket free agents and that's fine with me. Julius Peppers, Karlos Dansby, Antrei Rolle are fine players but I dont think the Bills should be spending that kind of money on one player, they have too many needs.

But this is a thin talent pool and here is some news; we already ARE into the second wave of free agency.

Why the Bills have brought in no one other than a debatle OL interior starter to this point is beyond me. There aren't cornerstone players out there, but there are guys that signing right now with teams for reasonable rights that even a teenage fan can identify, and w'ere not even competiting for them.. Artis Hicks is a great example (3 mll per year).. Dwan Edwards, Jimmy Kennedy are out there, I can go on longer but you get the point.

Did someone forget to tell Nix this is a bad football team that created even more holes for itself by switching to a new defense that to a man everyone says is horriblly equipped for a 3-4.

Trying not to be a "jump to conclusions" guy here-- but this isn't looking good.

With a cap last year, the Bills were reported to spend the 12th most in salaries in the NFL. With this being an uncapped year, I honestly am telling you to not be surprised if they spend the least money of anyone in the NFL, and that includes perennial cheapskates Jacksonville and Cinci.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Frustration is growing

Oh and btw.. Just read that Maake Kemoeatu has a visit for Tuesday.. With the Redskins

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
      My IQ Test results came back negative
      • Oct 2002

Championships arent won through Free Angency...

Chillax junoir.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
        Championships arent won through Free Angency...

Chillax junoir.
        They're not.. But don't tell me championship teams dont use it as a vehicle.

BTW, the Saints would disagree. How did their FA picks up of Brees, Vilma and Sharper work out for them?

Thats a company line right there.

I made it perfectly clear that big ticket FA's werent the route to go. But doing nothing besides adding bodies to compete for roster spots isn't either.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
          !?!?!?!?!?
          • Mar 2006

Reed, Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Talley, Beebe...all were drafted- just putting that out there

Comment

• wmoz11
            • Sep 2008

I'm not sure how many guys are interested in even visiting, sadly enough. I'd like to know who our targets are/were.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
              Reed, Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Talley, Beebe...all were drafted- just putting that out there
              MOST good teams are definitely built through the draft, I have no doubts about that.

But you need good free agent pick ups to supplement turnover as well. This isn't the 70s, 80s and 90s anymore.

In today's NFL, those guys you listed; there's no way they all stay together for as long as they did.

Comment

• JCBills
                • Jan 2010

I didn't expect anything in FA - they told us not to.

Comment

• cpearl
                  • Mar 2005

You do know you cover the Buffalo Bills, right?

Comment

• ddaryl
                    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                    • Jan 2005

no biggie.. I pretty much figured I wouldn't be watching much football in 2010 anyways.

It's going to take years to right this ship and I even doubt that will be enough. Basically I have little faith in the organization and feel they are definitely setting the team up for easy sale.

So until they are winning consistenly why bother

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by JCBills
                      I didn't expect anything in FA - they told us not to.
                      And so that makes it ok?????

Comment

• ChanGailey
                        Veteran Zoner
                        • Jan 2010

The team isn't interested in winning. And it blows my mind. I can't ever leave the Bills as a fan. But I'm sure as hell not buying any tickets, hats or jerseys until this team shows me they want to win.

The product on the field is a result of the organization. The owner doesn't care. And so the GM doesn't care. (Brandon has gotten 3 promotions since we've had a playoff appearance, so why should he?) And so the coach doesn't care. (Jauron lost 8 of 10 and got extended) And so the players don't care. They're here to collect a check. This isn't an NFL team anymore, IMO.
                        Last edited by ChanGailey; 03-07-2010, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          BTW, the Saints would disagree. How did their FA picks up of Brees, Vilma and Sharper work out for them?
                          Vilma was a trade. However, they did get some other key guys in FA: Johnathan Goodwin, Anthony Hargrove, Jabari Greer, Randall Gay, Peirson Prioleau, Scott Fujita, Mike Bell, Bobby McCray. Then Brees and Sharper, like you said.

They also got a bunch of guys in the draft, some undrafted guys, some trades.

I think the Saints are the perfect example of a team that uses many different methods available to acquire talent, which seems the best way to do it nowadays. The draft is a key component, but you can add good players using FA, trades and signing undrafted players.

Comment

• Novacane
                            • Jul 2002

Ralph is not cheap.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                              K.Davis, Lofton, J.Davis, Christie etc were free agent pick-ups.

Bennett and Smith were trades.

Just adding that in.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X