PDA

View Full Version : Frustration is growing

patmoran2006
03-07-2010, 12:03 PM
I spent all weekend trying to talk to a few people who I'm usually at least moderately good at getting some Bills inside information from, and here is what I've been able to get...

Nothing... Literally

I (and I hope most fans in here have noticed) have been trying very hard to keep an even keel regarding the Bills lately. As a reporter who has my own website, on occasion I write an opionated column but the vast majority of the time it's my job to report on news and have that (and not me) become the story.

But it's getting very hard to do now.. I, along with a lot of you who are already there I'm sure, am growing more and more frustrated by the day over the past few days.

Look, I never expected the Bills to go after the few big-ticket free agents and that's fine with me. Julius Peppers, Karlos Dansby, Antrei Rolle are fine players but I dont think the Bills should be spending that kind of money on one player, they have too many needs.

But this is a thin talent pool and here is some news; we already ARE into the second wave of free agency.

Why the Bills have brought in no one other than a debatle OL interior starter to this point is beyond me. There aren't cornerstone players out there, but there are guys that signing right now with teams for reasonable rights that even a teenage fan can identify, and w'ere not even competiting for them.. Artis Hicks is a great example (3 mll per year).. Dwan Edwards, Jimmy Kennedy are out there, I can go on longer but you get the point.

Did someone forget to tell Nix this is a bad football team that created even more holes for itself by switching to a new defense that to a man everyone says is horriblly equipped for a 3-4.

Trying not to be a "jump to conclusions" guy here-- but this isn't looking good.

With a cap last year, the Bills were reported to spend the 12th most in salaries in the NFL. With this being an uncapped year, I honestly am telling you to not be surprised if they spend the least money of anyone in the NFL, and that includes perennial cheapskates Jacksonville and Cinci.

patmoran2006
03-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Oh and btw.. Just read that Maake Kemoeatu has a visit for Tuesday.. With the Redskins

BillsOwnAll
03-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Championships arent won through Free Angency...

Chillax junoir.

patmoran2006
03-07-2010, 12:10 PM

Chillax junoir.

They're not.. But don't tell me championship teams dont use it as a vehicle.

BTW, the Saints would disagree. How did their FA picks up of Brees, Vilma and Sharper work out for them?

Thats a company line right there.

I made it perfectly clear that big ticket FA's werent the route to go. But doing nothing besides adding bodies to compete for roster spots isn't either.

BILLSROCK1212
03-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Reed, Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Talley, Beebe...all were drafted- just putting that out there

wmoz11
03-07-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm not sure how many guys are interested in even visiting, sadly enough. I'd like to know who our targets are/were.

patmoran2006
03-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Reed, Kelly, Smith, Thomas, Talley, Beebe...all were drafted- just putting that out there

MOST good teams are definitely built through the draft, I have no doubts about that.

But you need good free agent pick ups to supplement turnover as well. This isn't the 70s, 80s and 90s anymore.

In today's NFL, those guys you listed; there's no way they all stay together for as long as they did.

JCBills
03-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I didn't expect anything in FA - they told us not to.

cpearl
03-07-2010, 12:20 PM
You do know you cover the Buffalo Bills, right?

ddaryl
03-07-2010, 12:24 PM
no biggie.. I pretty much figured I wouldn't be watching much football in 2010 anyways.

It's going to take years to right this ship and I even doubt that will be enough. Basically I have little faith in the organization and feel they are definitely setting the team up for easy sale.

So until they are winning consistenly why bother

SeatownBillsFan21
03-07-2010, 12:29 PM
I didn't expect anything in FA - they told us not to.
And so that makes it ok?????

ChanGailey
03-07-2010, 12:41 PM
The team isn't interested in winning. And it blows my mind. I can't ever leave the Bills as a fan. But I'm sure as hell not buying any tickets, hats or jerseys until this team shows me they want to win.

The product on the field is a result of the organization. The owner doesn't care. And so the GM doesn't care. (Brandon has gotten 3 promotions since we've had a playoff appearance, so why should he?) And so the coach doesn't care. (Jauron lost 8 of 10 and got extended) And so the players don't care. They're here to collect a check. This isn't an NFL team anymore, IMO.

Ickybaluky
03-07-2010, 12:49 PM
BTW, the Saints would disagree. How did their FA picks up of Brees, Vilma and Sharper work out for them?

Vilma was a trade. However, they did get some other key guys in FA: Johnathan Goodwin, Anthony Hargrove, Jabari Greer, Randall Gay, Peirson Prioleau, Scott Fujita, Mike Bell, Bobby McCray. Then Brees and Sharper, like you said.

They also got a bunch of guys in the draft, some undrafted guys, some trades.

I think the Saints are the perfect example of a team that uses many different methods available to acquire talent, which seems the best way to do it nowadays. The draft is a key component, but you can add good players using FA, trades and signing undrafted players.

Novacane
03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Ralph is not cheap. :funny:

YardRat
03-07-2010, 01:07 PM

K.Davis, Lofton, J.Davis, Christie etc were free agent pick-ups.

Bennett and Smith were trades.

Just adding that in.

better days
03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
It looks like Nix is running the Bills now much more the the Pats* are run & I don't think that is a bad thing. Under Jauron EVERYONE knew what the Bills next move would be, Buddy is keeping people in the dark.

I think the Bills have many players capable to play the 3-4. The entire secondary & LB's should have no problem in that scheme. The big need is a NT which I'm sure they will get.

theanswer74
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM

I made it perfectly clear that big ticket FA's werent the route to go. But doing nothing besides adding bodies to compete for roster spots isn't either.

Brees? Really? The Saints, like the Cardinals turned around their teams because they got pro bowl QB's no one wanted for some reason.

They need a competent QB, and without one everything else means nothing. They can sign as many free agents as they want, they arent going anywhere.

Free Agency IMO is for finalizing a team, not building one. If you have a QB and you want to put pieces around him, thats what free agency is for.

Novacane
03-07-2010, 01:22 PM
It looks like Nix is running the Bills now much more the the Pats* are run & I don't think that is a bad thing. Under Jauron EVERYONE knew what the Bills next move would be, Buddy is keeping people in the dark.

It's easy to keep everyone in the dark when there is nothing going on. Stop pretending Nix is some kind of genius. He's a 70 something first time GM. If he was so great like so many of you think he'd of been a GM a long LONG time ago.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh and btw.. Just read that Maake Kemoeatu has a visit for Tuesday.. With the Redskins

Maake Kemoeatu wont sign a contract until he can actually start playing again. The guy can't even run.

theanswer74
03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
It's easy to keep everyone in the dark when there is nothing going on. Stop pretending Nix is some kind of genius. He's a 70 something first time GM. If he was so great like so many of you think he'd of been a GM a long LONG time ago.

He didnt even start scouting until he was in his 50's. he was a college football head coach, then he was a scout.

He didnt even get his 1st front office job until he was in his 60's. If Nix was in his 40's he would have had a GM job a long time ago.

Oldbillsfan
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Only a handful of teams have even signed free agents. The Bears got most of the good ones.

Novacane
03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
He didnt even start scouting until he was in his 50's. he was a college football head coach, then he was a scout.

He didnt even get his 1st front office job until he was in his 60's. If Nix was in his 40's he would have had a GM job a long time ago.

Keep telling yourself that :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
03-07-2010, 01:32 PM

EXACTLY!!!!!! but these sheep around here ALWAYS use the Dockery and Walker excuses. i'm not asking them to sign the "big ticket FA" like they tried in the past. as a fan, all i ask is that they make an attempt to get players in here to upgrade positions. i'm not saying that they have to go out and get 10-12 players either. we need people who can come in and start, not backup OL and #4 WR's.

theanswer74
03-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Keep telling myself facts? OK.

better days
03-07-2010, 01:43 PM

If you want to live in a world filled with negativity go ahead. Myself & others like me prefer to live in a positive world & are much happier people than the people in your world. I will wait until the season starts & the Bills lose before I start complaining. In the meantime, I will enjoy the off season.

Jeff1220
03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
The lack of FA activity doesn't surprise me at all, but you figure they have to at least have a complete roster, don't they? I mean, how the heck does this team plan on switching to a 3-4 w/just the draft? What about the OL? Without the CBA or cap, is there another date coming up where a lot of players could be released?

atlast67
03-07-2010, 03:16 PM
You need to relax. The last time I checked the season doesn't start for another 6 months. Nix knows what he is doing!!

Jeff1220
03-07-2010, 04:39 PM
You need to relax. The last time I checked the season doesn't start for another 6 months. Nix knows what he is doing!!

Does he?

Novacane
03-07-2010, 07:17 PM
If you want to live in a world filled with negativity go ahead. Myself & others like me prefer to live in a positive world & are much happier people than the people in your world. I will wait until the season starts & the Bills lose before I start complaining. In the meantime, I will enjoy the off season.

LOL. Whatever In the real world I'm a happy optimist because I'm in control. In the world of the Buffalo Bills I'm negative because I know losers are running my team and there is nothing I can do about it. Keep telling yourself it will be differant this time. I've been reading the same kind of posts for the last 10 years. It won't be differant until Ralph Wilson I gone.

Novacane
03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Does he?

Don't question him. The blind sheep don't like that.

methos4ever
03-07-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/7/1360262/what-bills-fans-can-learn-from-the

The NFL's free agent signing period is only barely into its third day, but considering the way some fans are reacting, the Buffalo Bills are already in June, didn't sign anyone in free agency and passed on all their draft picks. It's hard to watch other teams sign all the big names while your team is relatively inactive. As many teams have shown, however, making giant splashes in free agency isn't the way to rebuild a football team......

better days
03-07-2010, 07:33 PM
LOL. Whatever In the real world I'm a happy optimist because I'm in control. In the world of the Buffalo Bills I'm negative because I know losers are running my team and there is nothing I can do about it. Keep telling yourself it will be differant this time. I've been reading the same kind of posts for the last 10 years. It won't be differant until Ralph Wilson I gone.

I'm married so my real world is much like the Bills world for me.

raphael120
03-07-2010, 08:03 PM

It's 2010. Just putting that out there.

bigbub2352
03-07-2010, 08:05 PM
i didnt expect them to make a huge splash
but when u are chaning schemes on O and D u would think they would have a plan to bring in the guys they thougth could provide depth and ST as well as spot stop gap starters to bring in to help who ever they draft for the future to play under
i know its early but seriously u lost ur fan base and are doing nothing about it
that scares me

Jeff1220
03-07-2010, 08:31 PM
The problem isn't that its the third day of FA. Its that the Bills have created a pattern of doing business over the past decade that is all too predictable.

Right now, the switch to the 3-4 seems like last year's attempt to go no-huddle. A plan put in place with no real forethought or planning involved, and done simply because it'll make the fans excited about a change to something different, that the Bills once did well.

BillsOwnAll
03-07-2010, 09:15 PM

They drafted there offense and d-line.

Reggie bush
Marque colston
Pierre thomas

The CORE of there team was from drafting. Its obvious there not going to draft 22 starters. Look at any team that won the SB they drafted the core of there team. FA isnt a big deal.

SABURZFAN
03-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm married so my real world is much like the Bills world for me.

10 years of hell??? i would tell you that you need to get rid of her but after reading your posts, she needs to get rid of you.

PECKERWOOD
03-07-2010, 09:35 PM

Chillax junoir.
Agree 100%..

All the times we've spent money in the past, what did it get us? We need to save our funds to resign our own star players, had we done this in the past, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams and Jason Peters would still be on our roster.

Spiderweb
03-07-2010, 11:45 PM
...and Bennett (trade, Leonard Smith (trade), Christie (plan B FA), Kenny Davis (plan B FA), John Davis, etc.....

It takes both the draft and astute FA, trade, waiver pickups. Something Buffalo had going for it when Polian was in town.

madness
03-08-2010, 08:33 AM
This is just the beginning of the backlash from the media. Nix has OBD on lock-down and they're not too happy about it.

Expect a lot of this ---> :cry:

Philagape
03-08-2010, 08:39 AM
They drafted there offense and d-line.

Reggie bush
Marque colston
Pierre thomas

The CORE of there team was from drafting. Its obvious there not going to draft 22 starters. Look at any team that won the SB they drafted the core of there team. FA isnt a big deal.

You don't include Brees in their "offense" or their "core"?

Oy.

justasportsfan
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM

It all didn't happen in one year did it? Especially not in their first year of rebuild .The saints weren't in a situation were an uncapped year was coming where they FA pool sucked.

You also forget that it was also the signing of GW that won them the sb.

BillsOwnAll
03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
You don't include Brees in their "offense" or their "core"?

Oy.

What is brees without the o-line???

Now i had brees on my fantasy team and my brother is a die hard saints fan. I actually watch all 16 of the saints regular season games. Yes they won most of them. But watch when the oline plays poorly Brees plays poorly.

I know MOST people on the board give the QB all the credit. But you dont realize that without a stellar o line, the QB is nothing.

Brees gets the glory of "winning the saints the SB" But he didnt. Now im not bashing Brees. I love him. He played great. He HELPED them win it. But without the D and the lines. The saints dont win the SB.

So yes. They drafted the CORE of there team.

BillsOwnAll
03-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Agree 100%..

All the times we've spent money in the past, what did it get us? We need to save our funds to resign our own star players, had we done this in the past, Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams and Jason Peters would still be on our roster.

I agree. If we draft well and show we can put together a winning team. Players will want to play here. People more importantly will want to stay here. Then when we have a core of good players we can have the luxury of signing that one big FA to help us. But I dont get how people want to sign that one big FA to make us.

Philagape
03-08-2010, 10:40 PM
What is brees without the o-line???

Now i had brees on my fantasy team and my brother is a die hard saints fan. I actually watch all 16 of the saints regular season games. Yes they won most of them. But watch when the oline plays poorly Brees plays poorly.

I know MOST people on the board give the QB all the credit. But you dont realize that without a stellar o line, the QB is nothing.

Brees gets the glory of "winning the saints the SB" But he didnt. Now im not bashing Brees. I love him. He played great. He HELPED them win it. But without the D and the lines. The saints dont win the SB.

So yes. They drafted the CORE of there team.

And without Brees they certainly don't win the SB. Not including him in the core is insane.

BillsOwnAll
03-08-2010, 10:47 PM
And without Brees they certainly don't win the SB. Not including him in the core is insane.

You missed the point.

The signing of Brees didnt single handled win them the SB. No one FA signing is that big. You NEEEEEED to draft great to win a SB. PLENTY of teams won super bowls through drafting.

Lets look at the patriots. How much we hate them. They draft great for 5+ years. 3 SBs. The last 5 years there drafting has been suspect. But they sign a HUGE name in randy moss! How many super bowls?

Pittsburgh- 2 super bowls. Tell me who they signed in FA?

Now thats the two most recent. You can even add the Colts to that list.

Championship teams are made through the draft not FA. I dont understand how people dont see that.

Philagape
03-08-2010, 10:58 PM
You missed the point.

The signing of Brees didnt single handled win them the SB. No one FA signing is that big. You NEEEEEED to draft great to win a SB. PLENTY of teams won super bowls through drafting.

Lets look at the patriots. How much we hate them. They draft great for 5+ years. 3 SBs. The last 5 years there drafting has been suspect. But they sign a HUGE name in randy moss! How many super bowls?

Pittsburgh- 2 super bowls. Tell me who they signed in FA?

Now thats the two most recent. You can even add the Colts to that list.

Championship teams are made through the draft not FA. I dont understand how people dont see that.

No one is saying it was single-handed.
Brees was part of a team, and like you said helped them win, just like the o-line, just like the defense.
But he was an extremely important part of that team, and they absolutely don't win the SB without him ... just like the o-line, just like the defense.
A core is a group. He is indisputably part of that group.
You're responding to points that are not being made and making an outlandish assertion because the Saints don't quite fit your rigid, preconceived conclusion.

BillsOwnAll
03-08-2010, 11:05 PM
No one is saying it was single-handed.
Brees was part of a team, and like you said helped them win, just like the o-line, just like the defense.
But he was an extremely important part of that team, and they absolutely don't win the SB without him ... just like the o-line, just like the defense.
A core is a group. He is indisputably part of that group.
You're responding to points that are not being made and making an outlandish assertion because the Saints don't quite fit your rigid, preconceived conclusion.

I was not the one who brought up the saints in this topic. The whole point i made in this thread was. Just cause we didnt sign anyone after the first day of FA(when then thread was made) There is no need to panic and say your mad. Then people got on me that im wrong. So i went on the explain how FA doesnt win championships. Then people went and tried to find every exception to my point.

I dont think im being the one outlandish in this thread. You are not looking at anything else but the fact that the saints signed Drew Brees. Forgot the last SB. Take a look at the big picture!

Philagape
03-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I was not the one who brought up the saints in this topic. The whole point i made in this thread was. Just cause we didnt sign anyone after the first day of FA(when then thread was made) There is no need to panic and say your mad. Then people got on me that im wrong. So i went on the explain how FA doesnt win championships. Then people went and tried to find every exception to my point.

I dont think im being the one outlandish in this thread. You are not looking at anything else but the fact that the saints signed Drew Brees. Forgot the last SB. Take a look at the big picture!

I was looking only at the bizarre claim that Brees was not part of the offense or the core.
And sure, just forget any facts that go against your opinion.

Things can happen more than one way.

BillsOwnAll
03-09-2010, 10:58 PM
I guess well just have to disagree to disagree. You only read what you want. And this topic/point wasnt about brees so I still dont know why your riding that pony.

delectrolux
03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
No offense, but I just think it's funny that anyone would care that one fan has turned the corner... Seriously, you're either pissed at OBD or your not, but all of a sudden one poster decides the Bills have waited too long and now this is a renewed topic for debate? This entire thread is just twenty other threads rolled into one...

Bling
03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
IS it me or is every FA class 'weak'? I can't remember there being a 'strong' FA class ever.

BillsOwnAll
03-10-2010, 11:40 AM
IS it me or is every FA class 'weak'? I can't remember there being a 'strong' FA class ever.

Theres always 3-5 BIG NAME FA's. And it the Bills dont sign one of them. The seasons over. The other 27 teams that didnt sign one either still have a chance though. At least thats what this board taught me.

/sarcasm

DesertFox24
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Honestly I would rather us draft our DL in this years draft.

This is the best year that we could have picked to make the transition to a 34 Defense.

There are so many DEs and DTs out there that project as 5 techniques it is not even funny.

I would love the below to happen

1. Dan Williams (9th pick) every great 34 has a great NT and this guy is going to be a stud
2. Tim Tebow as much as I do not like the guy, he is a player, was productive, and fits the mold of Chan Gailey and Nix. Maybe he can develop into a decent player who knows but at least we are not taking him at 9 and that is al I care about.

Round 3 through 7 I would draft best available 5 technique DE, OLBs and ILB. Maybe one OT.

Personally I would rather sign Tra Thomas to be our LT this year and then let Bell Meredith battle Thomas and Green in 2011 for the LT and RT spots.