PDA

View Full Version : Question If The Bills played in San Antonio, LA, Portland, Oklahoma City, or Vegas

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 02:53 PM
Would it be easier to get Players to want to come to the Bills due to the location. Regardless of how meddling or cheap ownership is. Say theownership doesn't change and just base it on wanting to move to or play in the city of Buffalo. Would players want to come to the Bills in these areas over Buffalo. Also would rookies be more excited by being drafted by the Bills if they were located in these areas over Buffalo? And want to be resigned after contract expires.

We hear a lot of posters talking about who the hell wants to play in Buffalo its as close to Canada as possible and so far away. Nobody wants to come here.

Do you guys really think that the location of the Bills being in this area hurts us big time?

more cowbell
03-07-2010, 02:56 PM
without a doubt.

I mean I love Buffalo, but ask yourself this...

if you WERENT from WNY and had a choice to get paid to play football in LA, San Antonio, or Vegas...what would you choose?

aside from the fact that our ownership is crap and we have been a laughing stock for the past decade, all of the cities you named (maybe with the exception of oklahoma city) are night and day compared to Buffalo

G Wolly
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Do you guys really think that the location of the Bills being in this area hurts us big time?

Mostly, yes.

Also because it seems that we have no desire to win a championship.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 03:02 PM
without a doubt.

That just sucks. It also makes me feel we kind of are selfish for wanting to keep the team in Buffalo, cause the players don't want to come here. So all we can do is draft guys and see them walk n not be able to keep them. Cause they prefer to play in other cities.

psubills62
03-07-2010, 03:08 PM
I sure think it would help.

Shortly before FA began, there were tons of rumors that certain players (Dansby, Wilfork, etc.) wanted to play for Miami. Usually it's because these guys also played college ball in that area (there are so many universities in Florida now), and are familiar with the place. But the weather factor surely would help.

ddaryl
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
winning solves this dillema

mrbojanglezs
03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
winning makes up for it, its moreso that we suck then the location, but that hurts us.

People will be more willing to go to a crappy team in a nice area, but would prefer to go to a winning team no matter where it is

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
I still feel, coming off those 4 super bowl years, free agents would prefer to go to Miami than Buffalo based on location. Even though we were the better team at that time.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 03:23 PM
winning solves this dillema

We will not win without the players wanting to play here. Forget free agents, i'm talking about the guys that get drafted or signed due to no other option.

BertSquirtgum
03-07-2010, 03:27 PM
if it's the weather you're talking about. why do players go to chicago, cleveland, or green bay?

toronto is two hours away if they want to party hard in a big city. location is not the problem. it's the ownership.

better days
03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I still feel, coming off those 4 super bowl years, free agents would prefer to go to Miami than Buffalo based on location. Even though we were the better team at that time.

I'm calling BS on this post & the entire thread. Many former Bills, some still playing have said how much they enjoyed their time playing in Buffalo. The Bills have signed many free agents in the past that wanted to play in Buffalo including Takeo Spikes.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
if it's the weather you're talking about. why do players go to chicago, cleveland, or green bay?

toronto is two hours away if they want to party hard in a big city. location is not the problem. it's the ownership.

You can't compare Chicago to Buffalo. It isn't just the weather, the location, things to do, economy, quality of life.

G Wolly
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
You can't compare Chicago to Buffalo. It isn't just the weather, the location, things to do, economy, quality of life.

And reputation to build winners

ddaryl
03-07-2010, 03:35 PM
We will not win without the players wanting to play here. Forget free agents, i'm talking about the guys that get drafted or signed due to no other option.

We had a craptastic team in the 80's and with a few good drafts a couple of smart trades we became winners, and when we were winning we didn't have trouble at all bringing in FA's.

Once we start proving to the players that we are a team becoming a contender we will attract players who want to play for a contender.

Winning completely solves this problem, and that is going to make or break Nix who has to put together 2-3 consecutive smokin drafts and make a few player trades that improve us. No different then what Polian achieved and how he achieved it here.

Right now we are at the tail end of a 10 year drouhgt and just fired our coaches and hired a new GM, so we are unattractive to everyone because we are starting from scratch yet again....

tampabay25690
03-07-2010, 03:36 PM
I sure think it would help.

Shortly before FA began, there were tons of rumors that certain players (Dansby, Wilfork, etc.) wanted to play for Miami. Usually it's because these guys also played college ball in that area (there are so many universities in Florida now), and are familiar with the place. But the weather factor surely would help.

NO state TAX in Florida either.
players look at that and I know that for a fact..
Why pay an extra amt for the state of NY?

ddaryl
03-07-2010, 03:37 PM

I never felt that way. Sure some would but we were players for many FA's in the mid 90's and even in the early 2000's...

but right now this team is a pimple on the NFL's ass in the eyes of league, and rightfully so... and that pimple looks very much like Ralph Wilson

ddaryl
03-07-2010, 03:38 PM

thats a huge point that I forgot about.. State income tax is brutal in NYS...

In Washington State we have no state income tax....

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Doesn't stop players from going to the Jets and Giants.

Scumbag College
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Money talks.

These guys have a limited amount of long term contracts they can sign in a career. If the Bills want quality free agents, they will have to shell out more money than the rest of the teams. These players answer to their agents, and the agents want the most money they can get. The agents don't care about the weather, nightlife, etc.

G Wolly
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM

They're popular/championship winning teams

better days
03-07-2010, 03:51 PM

The Jets & Giants both play in New Jersey. I doubt many of the players of either team live in NY State either.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Money talks.

These guys have a limited amount of long term contracts they can sign in a career. If the Bills want quality free agents, they will have to shell out more money than the rest of the teams. These players answer to their agents, and the agents want the most money they can get. The agents don't care about the weather, nightlife, etc.

There's the other issue, So basically 95% of the time if Buffalo offers the same deal as other areas, they will go to other area. We must overpay to get a look. It just goes back to the point, nobody says yes I want to play in buffalo.

ddaryl
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
The Jets & Giants both play in New Jersey. I doubt many of the players of either team live in NY State either.

that's going to change soon... the new stadium is in NYC

but what is the law if a player lives in another state but works in NYS ???????

Scumbag College
03-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Isn't there a commuter tax in NYC for people whom work there and live in NJ and CT?

BuffaloBlitz83
03-07-2010, 04:00 PM

New York's state income tax rates range from 4 percent to 6.85 percent over five income brackets. More on the Empire State's taxes can be found in the tabbed pages below. 6.85 percent on taxable income of $20,001 and above

New Jersey levies state taxes at rates ranging from 1.4 percent to 8.97 percent, assessed over progressive income brackets. More on New Jersey taxes can be found in the tabbed pages below. 8.97 percent on taxable income of $500,001 and above. 6.37 percent on taxable income between $75,001 and $500,000.

Looks like NJ is worse.

G Wolly
03-07-2010, 04:02 PM

The new stadium is right next to the old one.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2745/meadowlandssportscomple.jpg

better days
03-07-2010, 04:06 PM

You are wrong. The new Meadowlands Stadium is in the same area the old Giants Stadium was in New Jersey.

better days
03-07-2010, 04:12 PM
New York's state income tax rates range from 4 percent to 6.85 percent over five income brackets. More on the Empire State's taxes can be found in the tabbed pages below. 6.85 percent on taxable income of $20,001 and above

New Jersey levies state taxes at rates ranging from 1.4 percent to 8.97 percent, assessed over progressive income brackets. More on New Jersey taxes can be found in the tabbed pages below. 8.97 percent on taxable income of $500,001 and above. 6.37 percent on taxable income between $75,001 and $500,000.

Looks like NJ is worse.

Income tax is just one tax. Property taxes are much higher in NY than NJ I would bet.

feldspar
03-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Anybody that doesn't want to come and make millions in Buffalo because of the weather is limp-wristed, if you catch my meaning. If you are that much of a wimp, you shouldn't be playing football, anyway. As far as things to do goes, they are here. Try being here to play football...that should keep you occupied. You only have to be here half the year anyway and can skip the majority of the bad weather if you so choose.

In direct response to the thread, if the Bills played anywhere else besides Buffalo, they wouldn't be the Bills. The point is moot.

BertSquirtgum
03-07-2010, 06:23 PM

yes i can. i said IF you were talking about WEATHER.

baalworship
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
The Bills should model themselves after Pittsburgh. Draft well and keep your best players. Problem solved as free agency is not the way to build a champion.

BTW, Pittsburgh also is a declining in population Rust Belt city but because they win players like it there.

Night Train
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
We hear a lot of posters talking about who the hell wants to play in Buffalo its as close to Canada as possible and so far away. Nobody wants to come here.

What's sad is you actually listen to posters.

It's all about the $$ and perception that the organization is committed to improving the product. Ralph and 10 years of losing has done damage and geography has little to do with it. People hate losers wherever they are.

SABURZFAN
03-07-2010, 09:03 PM
if the Bills move, i hope they move to Vegas. i'll be moving back there when my youngest kid finishes school. it can't come soon enough. NYS is a ****hole. i don't blame players not wanting to come here.

better days
03-07-2010, 09:29 PM
if the Bills move, i hope they move to Vegas. i'll be moving back there when my youngest kid finishes school. it can't come soon enough. NYS is a ****hole. i don't blame players not wanting to come here.

The NFL will never allow a team in Vegas. You can bet on that.

G Wolly
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM

I see what you did there

jbisset
03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
We just need a winning team. When Kelly was playing we did not have this issue...

G Wolly
03-08-2010, 12:06 AM
We just need a winning team. When Kelly was playing we did not have this issue...

He also didn't wanna play for us at first either.

SABURZFAN
03-08-2010, 12:45 AM

HA..... HA..... HA....... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're better off keeping your job at Greyhound sniffing farts out of bus seats. :rolleyes:

tampabay25690
03-08-2010, 08:27 AM

Thats why they have to over pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!