PDA

View Full Version : still nothing?

ChanGailey
03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Where are all my "its still the first day" people?

This team is a joke.

SirMcGee
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Where are all my "its still the first day" people?

This team is a joke.

Don't put yourself down like that.

hydro
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
So are you. You don't start the rebuilding process by picking up FA's that will be out of their prime by the time we get good again.

YardRat
03-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Patience.

SirMcGee
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
All good teams build via draft. Steelers, Eagles, Ravens and Patriots are prime examples of this. They build through draft and fill key positions via free agency. THey don't build teams via free agency.

madness
03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
No, 2010 FA is joke.

patmoran2006
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
All good teams build via draft. Steelers, Eagles, Ravens and Patriots are prime examples of this. They build through draft and fill key positions via free agency. THey don't build teams via free agency.

That's not true. The Saints became good because of free agency. Major free agent pickups (Brees, Vilma, Sharper) and plenty of mid level pickups (like Jabari Greer). So there are multiple ways you can build your team. Its about the right talent evaluators regardless of FA or the draft.

Having said that, its obvious the Bills are going to build through the draft. But you also can't blame any Bills fan for a lack of confidence in that when you factor in what they've seen the last decade

methos4ever
03-08-2010, 02:06 PM
On Sunday afternoon, Washington GM Bruce Allen put free agency in perspective quite well, saying, "Free agency isn't a day, and it's not a weekend. We think free agency runs 'til the first day of training camp. Let's see who you have a couple of months from now, not just who you have after a couple of days. What difference does it make when you sign them, if they help you?''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/07/freeagency/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0hcLaKAtY
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/03/07/freeagency/index.html?eref=sihp

Mahdi
03-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Honestly, I think we need to put that theory to rest. Many teams have won by being aggressive in FA as well.

You mention the Pats and yes they were built through the draft but their most recent success has come through adding big time FAs or trades like Moss, Adelius Thomas, Junior Seau, Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs, Sammie Morris, Wes Welker, Rodney Harrison, Mike Vrabel, Donte Stallworth, Reche Caldwell etc.

Saints are an even better example: Brees, Sharper, Vilma, Fujita, Shanle, Hargrove, Greer, Bobby McCrae.... They don't win the SB without those guys.

Vikings: Favre, Berrian, Chester Taylor, Steve Hutchinson, Pat Williams, Jared Allen, Antoine Winfield, Visanthe Shiancoe, Ben Leber.

Jets: Jim Leonard, Lito Sheppard, Damien Woody, Allen Faneca, Bart Scott, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Kris Jenkins, Marques Douglas, Calvin Pace.

So clearly, being active in FA can turn your franchise around, the only slack I will cut the Bills FO is that there are not many good FAs to spend money on this year.

better days
03-08-2010, 02:20 PM
That's not true. The Saints became good because of free agency. Major free agent pickups (Brees, Vilma, Sharper) and plenty of mid level pickups (like Jabari Greer). So there are multiple ways you can build your team. Its about the right talent evaluators regardless of FA or the draft.

Having said that, its obvious the Bills are going to build through the draft. But you also can't blame any Bills fan for a lack of confidence in that when you factor in what they've seen the last decade

You are right about the last decade, but lets also factor in the fact that this is a new front office & lets give them a chance. Many players will be cut after the draft & in training camp around the league. That is when you will see some signings.

The Bills have too many holes to fill to think they will compete for a playoff spot this year but I will bet they are a better more entertaining team to watch than they have been in a long time.

patmoran2006
03-08-2010, 02:23 PM
You are right about the last decade, but lets also factor in the fact that this is a new front office & lets give them a chance. Many players will be cut after the draft & in training camp around the league. That is when you will see some signings.

The Bills have too many holes to fill to think they will compete for a playoff spot this year but I will bet they are a better more entertaining team to watch than they have been in a long time.

I agree that they deserve a chance, and I agree that they're going nowhere in 2010 anyway.

I just don't like hearing that ALL good teams are built through the draft because that's not true.

But as someone else said in this thread, this is a terrbile class so in ways it forces you to build through draft.

I still think at this VERY early period the BIlls are going to make a trade or two.