PDA

View Full Version : Colts cut starting guard

T-Long
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Colts cut starting guard — 5:06 p.m. (Alex Marvez Fox Sports) LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-free-agency-buzz-blog-030810)

A new position coach isn’t the only change Indianapolis will have along its offensive line in 2010.

A source told FOXSports.com that the Colts have released fifth-year left guard and Super Bowl XLIV starter Ryan Lilja.

It’s believed the move was made so the Colts would avoid having to pay Lilja a scheduled $1.73 million roster bonus. Lilja, 28, was signed to a five-year, $19 million contract extension in the 2008 offseason.

The 6-foot-2, 290-pound Lilja missed the entire 2008 campaign with knee problems but rebounded to regain his starting spot and play every game for the Colts last season.

Colts president Bill Polian had expressed disappointment in his team’s offensive line after a 31-17 Super Bowl loss to New Orleans.

Mr Bills
03-08-2010, 04:22 PM
i doubt hes any good if the colts dont want to pay him 1,73 mill bonus. manning makes his oline looks better than they are.

Mahdi
03-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Exactly the kind of OL Nix said he wouldn't sign.

JCBills
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
i doubt hes any good if the colts dont want to pay him 1,73 mill bonus. manning makes his oline looks better than they are.

Yet everyone is raged because Wade Smith left town without a contract?

Lilja has 59 starts for the Colts, so yeah I'm sure he isn't any good.

He's undersized, but the Colts are one hell of a team, saying their long-time starter isn't any good is quite the statement.

methos4ever
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Yet everyone is raged because Wade Smith left town without a contract?

Lilja has 59 starts for the Colts, so yeah I'm sure he isn't any good.

He's undersized, but the Colts are one hell of a team, saying their long-time starter isn't any good is quite the statement.
They're getting rid of him because they want to be bigger and run the ball more inside. That is something we want to do. I don't see it as demeaning the player - he's just not a fit.