PDA

View Full Version : X-Era

northernbillfan
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
21 more days.

Post as often as you can in teh next three weeks so I can keep looking at his ****eating grin.

X-Era
03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
21 more days.

Post as often as you can in teh next three weeks so I can keep looking at his ****eating grin.
OK

EricStratton
03-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Does it burn you at all NBF that while Canada won the gold the country can barely support pro hockey?

jamze132
03-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Does it burn you at all NBF that while Canada won the gold the country can barely support pro hockey?
They do have Terrence and Phillip though...

northernbillfan
03-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Does it burn you at all NBF that while Canada won the gold the country can barely support pro hockey?15,000+ for the last place team in the league and that's not support?

Canada only has half a dozen major cities and all of them have hockey teams. Those teams are not losing money. We also have another four cities crying for an NHL franchise and would support them.

Canada supports the NHL very well thank you. The only teams in the red are American teams, or that's the way it was last time I checked.

X-Era
03-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Screw all that crap... I just want NBF to be my personal supplier of Cuban's... the cigars, not the people.

rbochan
03-09-2010, 06:46 AM
15,000+ for the last place team in the league and that's not support?
And 1100 people showed up when the Marlies were in the playoffs. Same town.

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
I suppose with being a fan of the Oilers, you have to have some joy during your hockey season NBF.

northernbillfan
03-09-2010, 10:57 AM
And 1100 people showed up when the Marlies were in the playoffs. Same town.:huh:

rbochan
03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
:huh:
It wasn't until the coffee kicked in that I realized you weren't talking about the Leafs.

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't think any of us can dog Canada for their love of hockey.

If I were running the NHL, I would add a bunch of teams up in Canada and cut at least six from the states.

northernbillfan
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't think any of us can dog Canada for their love of hockey.

If I were running the NHL, I would add a bunch of teams up in Canada and cut at least six from the states.At least four that are failures. Tampa, Florida, Carolina and Phoenix can all find good homes in Canada. Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Regina would support those teams.

Dude
03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Winnipeg already lost a team.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the economics in a multi-national league that is causing teams up north to move. I don't know if the current climate has changed that, but it used to be that Canadian owners had to pay salaries in US dollars to make them more competitive with the US teams. It had the opposite effect on smaller market teams.

Or, I could be high on glue.

northernbillfan
03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Winnipeg already lost a team.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the economics in a multi-national league that is causing teams up north to move. I don't know if the current climate has changed that, but it used to be that Canadian owners had to pay salaries in US dollars to make them more competitive with the US teams. It had the opposite effect on smaller market teams.

Or, I could be high on glue.It had a major impact on teams in Canada however that was the pre cap era and at a time when the American dollar was worth a lot more than it is today compared to the Canadian dollar.

Winnipeg is running a campaign to get a team back to their city and have 15,000+ people committing to season tickets if they do get a team back in the 'Peg.

Jim Bassilli is trying to get a team into Hamilton (Phoenix would go there if Bettman ever swallowed his pride and accepted the fact that the Coyotes are a failure.)

Dude
03-09-2010, 03:17 PM
That's what I figured.

I think the Laffs and the Sabres would have something to say about a franchise in Hamilton.

northernbillfan
03-09-2010, 03:22 PM
That's what I figured.

I think the Laffs and the Sabres would have something to say about a franchise in Hamilton.If New York can support two teams, and the LA area support two teams, why wouldn't the Golden Horseshoe be able to support two or three teams?

Isn't the population base at 5 or 6 million in that area? That is more than enough to support three teams.

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
At least four that are failures. Tampa, Florida, Carolina and Phoenix can all find good homes in Canada. Halifax, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Regina would support those teams.

you mean sunny, warm cities in the South don't pay attention to hockey? I'm shocked- who saw that one coming?

And while Phoenix has been a disaster, a team in Hamilton would be detrimental to the Sabres, and would probably negatively affect the Leafs as well.

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
If New York can support two teams, and the LA area support two teams, why wouldn't the Golden Horseshoe be able to support two or three teams?

Isn't the population base at 5 or 6 million in that area? That is more than enough to support three teams.

I know hockey is a little more popular up in that area, but the DC area is about 5 million and they couldn't get 12,000 to show up for the Caps before Boudreau took over and they started winning.

Syderick
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
They should move some of the southern state teams that aren't doing well to northern state cities like Seattle.

jamze132
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Quebec should have a damn team. God bless the Nordiques!

northernbillfan
03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
They should move some of the southern state teams that aren't doing well to northern state cities like Seattle.When I was in Seattle a few years ago, there was a major discussion going about which of the big sports was more popular, baseball, basketball or football. When I asked why wasn't hockey being thrown into the mix, they just looked at me and laughed and laughed.

Hockey will never fly in a city where basketball is entrenched such as Seattle.

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Maybe not more teams in Canada, but the NHL could eliminate around 6 teams and the league would probably be just as successful. Unfortunately Gary Bettman won't admit that because that would mean he was wrong.

Syderick
03-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Better chance of an NHL team doing well in a nothern city then in the southern city. Hamiliton won't be gettting a team, that's Leaf/Sabre territory.

BlackMetalNinja
03-09-2010, 06:11 PM
When I was in Seattle a few years ago, there was a major discussion going about which of the big sports was more popular, baseball, basketball or football. When I asked why wasn't hockey being thrown into the mix, they just looked at me and laughed and laughed.

Hockey will never fly in a city where basketball is entrenched such as Seattle.Entrenched so much that they don't even have a team? The Seahawks draw well and the Sounders of the MLS draw incredibly well compared to other soccer teams in the US.

X-Era
03-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Id be interested to see how successful Hockey would be without the U.S.

I mean, I think this is an example of a sport that America has made extremely successful. It probably would have been popular in other countries including Canada, but it would not be as mainstream or carry as much following, broadcasting, and glamor.

Dude
03-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Or glamour.

northernbillfan
03-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Entrenched so much that they don't even have a team? The Seahawks draw well and the Sounders of the MLS draw incredibly well compared to other soccer teams in the US.That's how much I follow B-Ball. I didn't even know the Sonics moved.

northernbillfan
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Id be interested to see how successful Hockey would be without the U.S.

I mean, I think this is an example of a sport that America has made extremely successful. It probably would have been popular in other countries including Canada, but it would not be as mainstream or carry as much following, broadcasting, and glamor.This has to be the most rediculous thing I've heard on these boards in a long long time. America has done what for hockey????

American teams are struggling all the time. American viewership is way down. Mainstream??? Are YOU the one on glue?

Broadcasting??? With the exception of the north east US, there is not a lot of hockey coverage anywhere in the States, including markets where hockey exists.

northernbillfan
03-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Oh and off to the hockey forum with this thread.

Dude
03-10-2010, 09:01 AM
This has to be the most rediculous thing I've heard on these boards in a long long time. America has done what for hockey????America gave you the Glowing Puck.

You can thank us later.

northernbillfan
03-10-2010, 09:18 AM
America gave you the Glowing Puck.

You can thank us later.That was for Americans who couldn't follow the flow of the game.

Dude
03-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Why do you hate America?

northernbillfan
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Why do you hate America?I love America.

I just don't love the fact that America won't embrace hockey. Nor do I like blanket statements such as "I think this is an example of a sport that America has made extremely successful. It probably would have been popular in other countries including Canada, but it would not be as mainstream or carry as much following, broadcasting, and glamor." which insinuates that without America hockey wouldn't be successful. WTF?

Dude
03-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Are all Candians this cranky?

northernbillfan
03-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Are all Candians this cranky?I'm not cranky. I'm just defending Canada's sport and the perception that without America, it wouldn't succeed anywhere.

BlackMetalNinja
03-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I love America.

I just don't love the fact that America won't embrace hockey. Nor do I like blanket statements such as "I think this is an example of a sport that America has made extremely successful. It probably would have been popular in other countries including Canada, but it would not be as mainstream or carry as much following, broadcasting, and glamor." which insinuates that without America hockey wouldn't be successful. WTF?Isn't "America won't embrace hockey" a blanket statement???

northernbillfan
03-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Isn't "America won't embrace hockey" a blanket statement???You got me there. I should have said "Most of America" or "Parts of America" and actually the statement I refered to isn't exactly a blanket statement either.