PDA

View Full Version : Chan Gailey one of the biggest losers in free agency

billsburgh
03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
according to Alex Marvez

Chan Gailey: Your new team is taking the massive undertaking of switching to a 3-4 defense with 4-3 personnel while also needing to upgrade the offensive line and wide receiver corps. So what did Buffalo accomplish in the first three days of free agency? Bupkis. The only player to take a visit -- journeyman offensive lineman Wade Smith – left to meet with Houston without signing a contract. No wonder Mike Shanahan and Bill Cowher didn’t want the Bills head coaching job that Gailey eventually accepted.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/marvez-early-fa-winners-losers-030810

clumping platelets
03-08-2010, 09:17 PM
sez the former writer for the Dolphins

LtFinFan66
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
so is he wrong Robert??

billsburgh
03-08-2010, 09:22 PM
so is he wrong Robert??
hard to argue with anything he said

Dicknoze69
03-08-2010, 09:26 PM
hard to argue with anything he said

Brian Galliford of BuffaloRumblings.com did an excellent job arguing against pretty much Marvez's entire article:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/8/1362684/alex-marvez-feels-bad-for-chan#storyjump

Most notably, Galliford argued that exactly 9 players who fit our positional wish list (OL, WR, 3-4 personnel) have changed teams prior to Marvez writing this article.

Writing a winners/losers of free agency after three days is a bad idea in general in my opinion, much like writing a winners/losers article the day after the draft.

LtFinFan66
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
but everyone does it

Dicknoze69
03-08-2010, 09:33 PM
but everyone does it

It's an easy gimmick to write about and I bet it gets a lot of hits, hence the popularity. That doesn't make it a smart idea.

Billz_fan
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
sigh, the Bills are doing the same thing they do every offseason. Pretty much nothing. I don't expect them to. Ohh they might sign a mid level player or 2. Enough to get some fans all excited. Thats gonna be it though.

It sounds like the old definition for insanity. The Bills do the same thing every season and the fans expect different results.

justasportsfan
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
sigh, the Bills are doing the same thing they do every offseason. Pretty much nothing. I don't expect them to. Ohh they might sign a mid level player or 2. Enough to get some fans all excited. Thats gonna be it though.

It sounds like the old definition for insanity. The Bills do the same thing every season and the fans expect different results.

remember this?

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/03/02/bills-strike-again-sign-langston-walker-and-derrick-dockery/

Everyone thought we were FA winners then. It produced nothing.

SaviorEdwards
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
maybe the 'losers' were all the has beens and retreads in free agency. Am I the only one who actually listened to him and his plan on how he wanted to build this team?

clumping platelets
03-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Miami filled 1 hole by overpaying for Dansby but Marvez finishes with The Dolphins still need a veteran wide receiver, nose tackle and pass-catching tight end but are off to a good offseason start in filling their holes

Biased? They signed 1 player as an UFA and resigned Pennington........

Jeff1220
03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
He's right. And the Buffalo Bills organization has not done anything in the past 10 years to give me any faith that this pattern is somehow diverting from the past.

elltrain22
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
sez the former writer for the Dolphins

He's exactly right.

justasportsfan
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
WHat big named FA did the fins bring in during Parcells' first year as GM? :idunno:
Keep in mind the FA pool then and now with an uncapped year next year.

feldspar
03-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm curious as to what the writer of this article thinks the Bills SHOULD have done so far in free agency.

Nah, on second thought, I don't care at all.

The Bills want to build primarily though the draft and have said as much many, many times. Free agency is overrated as are big names.

BillsWin
03-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I haven't posted on this board since the start of free agency. A. Because I am busy, and B. because I am disgusted with the way the Bills have approached the off season thus far.

So many needs, not enough movement. AND, we are going to bring in Tebow for a workout. Come now. We going to waste the No. 9 pick on him too?

Start bringing in the top LT's or McClain. Those are the guys we need a second look at.

justasportsfan
03-09-2010, 10:28 AM
I haven't posted on this board since the start of free agency. A. Because I am busy, and B. because I am disgusted with the way the Bills have approached the off season thus far.

So many needs, not enough movement. AND, we are going to bring in Tebow for a workout. Come now. We going to waste the No. 9 pick on him too?

Start bringing in the top LT's or McClain. Those are the guys we need a second look at.

So you are disgusted that the bills are not impulsively getting FA's and that they are doing due diligence?

justasportsfan
03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
according to Alex Marvez
:moon:

Beebe's Kid
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I was pretty sure I had posted something vulgar about this guy when this thread first showed up...

Well, it appears I must not have, but he can still go **** himself.

Buddy Nix is dumb like a ****ing fox!!!

TigerJ
03-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Brian Galliford of BuffaloRumblings.com did an excellent job arguing against pretty much Marvez's entire article:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/3/8/1362684/alex-marvez-feels-bad-for-chan#storyjump

Most notably, Galliford argued that exactly 9 players who fit our positional wish list (OL, WR, 3-4 personnel) have changed teams prior to Marvez writing this article.

Writing a winners/losers of free agency after three days is a bad idea in general in my opinion, much like writing a winners/losers article the day after the draft.

I agree, but the same thing is also true of the draft. Two minutes after Mr. Irrelevant is drafted, out come the draft ratings of a dozen or so pundits. There will be ratings done after the first day of the draft.

On the surface, it looks like Buffalo's free agency efforts went from abysmal to pretty good in one day. Who really knows? But at least it makes us feel better for a while.