PDA

View Full Version : Explore The Avenue Where Players Can't Chose Their Team - Trades

Night Train
03-09-2010, 04:57 AM
I posted a while back that the Bills couldn't compete in FA if players had choices and it's looking just like that. Buffalo has a bad rep among players and unless they're the only team making an offer, they're not coming here.

The Bills signed a short term transition RT to replace Butler yesterday but I expect little else from the paper thin UFA avenue. Once that's exhausted, you get on the phone and start trying to aquire some Vets on the bubble with other teams or at the very least, additional picks with current players who don't fit.

I still think this is how we'll aquire a new QB before camp. They need much more help in the Front 7 on D, in addition to the obvious LT hole (which I believe will be drafted within the first 2 rounds).

Teams will now sit back after the first wave of FA ($$) has ended and start looking at trades, as some have already done. An inside LB or a rotational NT would be realistic. Some of these teams have extended mid-level tenders to some pretty good players, which means they would listen to reasonable trade offers.

I wouldn't doubt the Bills have been trying this avenue but they really need 2-3 more vets before the April Draft and trades would bring them here without any choices. Plus the pressure of Draft weekend would be less with some reasonable depth in place. Let's see what they do over the next 5 weeks but they defintely need to work on trades, IMO.

" Hey Buddy, can you spare..a trade ? "

methos4ever
03-09-2010, 06:18 AM
One caveat Night Train. If a player refuses to report for his physical, the trade is voided. Unless you're the Raiders and guarantee a 1st round pick in 11 regardless of if the guy (Seymour) shows up or not to the Pats.

Night Train
03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
One caveat Night Train. If a player refuses to report for his physical, the trade is voided. Unless you're the Raiders and guarantee a 1st round pick in 11 regardless of if the guy (Seymour) shows up or not to the Pats.

Point taken but I'm referring to guys that received mid-round tenders that thought they'd have a new contract and probably would welcome a new team, even Buffalo.

Example - Raider ILB Kirk Morrison leads the team in tackles for 3-4 straight years and receives a 3rd round tender instead. QB Troy Smith received a low tender and is tweeting teams he would like to go to.

Players like that would come and probably receive a new contract with an increase.

methos4ever
03-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Point taken but I'm referring to guys that received mid-round tenders that thought they'd have a new contract and probably would welcome a new team, even Buffalo.

Example - Raider ILB Kirk Morrison leads the team in tackles for 3-4 straight years and receives a 3rd round tender instead. QB Troy Smith received a low tender and is tweeting teams he would like to go to.

Players like that would come and probably receive a new contract with an increase.
Oh I got you now. I think both of those guys would be good gets - heck, we should talk BAL about swapping firsts and a late round pick for Gaither. That point wise would be the equivalent of a 2nd and say a 4th for him.