PDA

View Full Version : Bills to meet with C.J. Spiller?

DBrown77
03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/bills-line-up-meeting-with-cj-spiller/

Why would we even think about a RB in the first round?

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Because he's something we lack on offense...a playmaker.

DBrown77
03-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Because he's something we lack on offense...a playmaker.

True, but who is he going to run behind? Do you think RB should be our top priority with our 1st round pick?

Maybe they are taking best player available?

BuffaloBlakely14
03-09-2010, 07:43 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/bills-line-up-meeting-with-cj-spiller/

We have officially reached the blow it up, build it back up rebuilding phase, and they are going to build this team the way they want it, not alter what was handed to them.

I have to be honest I don't really hate that they are proceeding this way. It is like Nix has said all along, we will build this team through the draft, and it is going to take 2 to 3 years, so while that sucks big time for next year, and the near future, hopefully they do this right. You have to admit, Nix has stuck to everything he has said, offensive minded veteran coach, not spend big in free agency, and build the core of this team in the draft.

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 07:44 AM
True, but who is he going to run behind? Do you think RB should be our top priority with our 1st round pick?

Maybe they are taking best player available?

He will likely be BPA or tied with Bryant, unless Berry falls.

We have a solid interior OL and remember what Spiller does is more than just running, he can line up the slot, do swing passes, return kicks and punts, etc.

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Not that I agree with taking Spiller with so many other holes, but that guy is a true playmaker. He's gonna be a good one.

BuffaloBlakely14
03-09-2010, 07:51 AM

We have a solid interior OL and remember what Spiller does is more than just running, he can line up the slot, do swing passes, return kicks and punts, etc.

They could very easily be looking at guys like Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin, and how they have drastically turned those offenses into dynamic threats. I caveat that with that I know they have much fewer holes and better Olines, but just because we don't take an Olineman in the 1st doesn't mean we won't rebuild it, remember, offensive tackle is one of the deeper positions in this draft, and we have shown a proclivity for jumping back in into the first.

My only regret, we are way past it now, is that they didn't take Michael Oher last year. I really wanted them to, and they had every opportunity, but I can't complain about Wood or Byrd, and I think Maybin is going to flourish in the 3-4, so maybe it was okay.

elltrain22
03-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Spiller is a bonafide stud!! I know RB is not something we need, but any and every team needs playmakers, and if we drafted Spiller, I'd be totally cool w/ this move!!

Dicknoze69
03-09-2010, 08:05 AM
There's an insider on another board (similar to Blame Canada here) who claims Lynch is going to get dealt at some point, and Spiller is a dark horse candidate for us. He also mentions Dan Williams as another likely pick, and that we won't take Clausen as we feel he's a fringe first rounder. Additionally, Daniel Jeremiah (a former scout) claims quite a few teams have Spiller as a high first rounder on their boards.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2010, 08:08 AM
I could see this if we get picks for Lynch and Whitner. We would have more flexibility.

jdbillsfan
03-09-2010, 08:13 AM
There's an insider on another board (similar to Blame Canada here) who claims Lynch is going to get dealt at some point, and Spiller is a dark horse candidate for us. He also mentions Dan Williams as another likely pick, and that we won't take Clausen as we feel he's a fringe first rounder. Additionally, Daniel Jeremiah (a former scout) claims quite a few teams have Spiller as a high first rounder on their boards.

Would love to trade Lynch and pick up Spiller.

Glad to hear we wont take Clausen (If that is true)

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 08:14 AM
I could see this if we get picks for Lynch and Whitner. We would have more flexibility.

That could be the case, or it could just be a pre-draft smoke screen.

Also, while RB is far from our biggest need, we do only have 2 RB's on the roster, so it will have to be addressed at some point, although a cheaper vet or later-round draft pick would seem like a more appropriate way to address it.

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2010, 08:15 AM

Also, while RB is far from our biggest need, we do only have 2 RB's on the roster, so it will have to be addressed at some point, although a cheaper vet or later-round draft pick would seem like a more appropriate way to address it.
Yep but getting Spiller in this scenario isn't the worst thing ever.

Starks late would be nice.

Bert102176
03-09-2010, 08:16 AM
we need to just take the best player available, it's just a smoke screen we won't be drafting him

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
we need to just take the best player available, it's just a smoke screen we won't be drafting him
Unless he is their best player available.

BillsMan80
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Spiller might very well be the best player available at that point...good character, dynamic playmaker, could be the guy at 9, especially if Lynch gets traded for any decent pick. Spiller is a superior version of Dexter McCluster IMO without the size issues.

Mahdi
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM

I agree that Spiller is a talent but he is not as well rounded as Bryant. I think Bryant is a much better prospect.

In fact, of all the RBs I like Jahvid Best the most. I think he is the next DeAngelo Williams. I think Best will be the RoY.

Ickybaluky
03-09-2010, 08:20 AM
He is an electric talent. I remember everyone questioning Tennessee when they took Chris Johnson, because they had other needs and they took him high. However, he transformed their offense and it is now apparent why they took him.

Spiller has that kind of ability. He can change an offense. Not a lot of guys can do that.

ChanGailey
03-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Well maybe we found a loophole where we can draft spiller and tebow at 9. Thas the only way I could tolerate either with our first pick

THATHURMANATOR
03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I agree that Spiller is a talent but he is not as well rounded as Bryant. I think Bryant is a much better prospect.

In fact, of all the RBs I like Jahvid Best the most. I think he is the next DeAngelo Williams. I think Best will be the RoY.
If we are going skill position I would MUCH rather go Spiller than Bryant.

DBrown77
03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Spiller might very well be the best player available at that point...good character, dynamic playmaker, could be the guy at 9, especially if Lynch gets traded for any decent pick. Spiller is a superior version of Dexter McCluster IMO without the size issues.

He is a class act. I have heard a few interviews with him down here in ACC country.

Ickybaluky
03-09-2010, 08:25 AM

I like Best as well, especially with his ability to catch the ball. He needs to bulk up though. Williams is much stockier, he has about 20 pounds on Best. He also has a lot more leg drive and ability to push the pile.

I like Ryan Matthews as well. He just knows how to run the ball. He reminds me a little of Emmitt Smith, although I'm not saying he is in that class. He can break tackles and is a pretty complete back for a college player because he will pass protect.

THRILLHO
03-09-2010, 08:33 AM
We all know teams interview lots of players they never end up drafting, even if they do not have a need at the position. We have stories out about seeing Tebow, and now Spiller. Are these stories coming out because of our lack in FA activity?

psubills62
03-09-2010, 08:38 AM

I sure hope all of those things are true (especially the part about Clausen).

psubills62
03-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I like Best as well, especially with his ability to catch the ball. He needs to bulk up though. Williams is much stockier, he has about 20 pounds on Best. He also has a lot more leg drive and ability to push the pile.

I like Ryan Matthews as well. He just knows how to run the ball. He reminds me a little of Emmitt Smith, although I'm not saying he is in that class. He can break tackles and is a pretty complete back for a college player because he will pass protect.

A lot of people are projecting Mathews to San Diego, which seems very, very likely. They need a starter and he is probably the most complete back in the draft.

jdbillsfan
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Bryant seems like a douche to me.

justasportsfan
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Would you guys consider Freddie a franchise rb? A homerun rb? a game changing rb?

Ed
03-09-2010, 10:22 AM
I haven't really given Spiller any thought, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of drafting him. That's assuming we trade Lynch though. I haven't been opposed to the idea of drafting Bryant, but I like the idea of getting Spiller a lot more. He's one guy that I think could instantly give our offense a big boost and be a good safety outlet for whoever our qb is.

I know O-line is a big concern and I would probably still take Bulaga over Spiller at #9 if it came down to that, but people have to remember that we have other draft picks to address the O-line also. Just because we don't use our first pick on an OT, doesn't mean we can't still upgrade the position. For example, if we were able to get Spiller in the 1st and a guy like Veldheer in the 2nd, I would be pretty happy.

Bling
03-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm going to do you all the favor. Like I warned you about Dick Jauron, Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch, do not put so much stock into CJ Spiller. He's extremely overrated, and is not going to earn his 1st round money. You heard it hear first. Eric Berry is a stud. Sam Bradford will be a great pickup if he falls.

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Bryant is more polished but Spiller isn't far behind and Spiller has a far better attitude than Bryant who falling right now.

As for Spiller v. Best, Id say Spiller is faster, quicker, more versatile, and has better vision. Best is a better dancer imo.

I have the RB's ranked:
1. Spiller
2. Matthews
3. Best

And Matthews may over take Spiller soon.

ptd86
03-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Bryant seems like a douche to me.

Hater

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 10:51 AM
A lot of people are projecting Mathews to San Diego, which seems very, very likely. They need a starter and he is probably the most complete back in the draft.

I dont think he will last that long. Best looks like a better option for San Diego now.

Houston may grab Matthews.

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Would you guys consider Freddie a franchise rb? A homerun rb? a game changing rb?

Id consider him a complimentary back.

psubills62
03-09-2010, 10:54 AM
I dont think he will last that long. Best looks like a better option for San Diego now.

Houston may grab Matthews.

I guess that wouldn't surprise me. Houston needs a RB badly as well.

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm going to do you all the favor. Like I warned you about Dick Jauron, Donte Whitner, Marshawn Lynch, do not put so much stock into CJ Spiller. He's extremely overrated, and is not going to earn his 1st round money. You heard it hear first. Eric Berry is a stud. Sam Bradford will be a great pickup if he falls.

How exactly is he overrated?

Ickybaluky
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Id consider him a complimentary back.

I could see him as a primary back. He has over 200 carries last year and was productive. Does a good job catching the ball as well.

better days
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Well maybe we found a loophole where we can draft spiller and tebow at 9. Thas the only way I could tolerate either with our first pick

Spiller in the 1st & Tebow in the 2nd. Those two would be dynamic together in the backfield.

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I could see him as a primary back. He has over 200 carries last year and was productive. Does a good job catching the ball as well.

Maybe in a two back system that was a 60-40 type split. He is a good fighter but I dont see him as a long term primary RB option.

Mahdi
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Bryant is more polished but Spiller isn't far behind and Spiller has a far better attitude than Bryant who falling right now.

As for Spiller v. Best, Id say Spiller is faster, quicker, more versatile, and has better vision. Best is a better dancer imo.

I have the RB's ranked:
1. Spiller
2. Matthews
3. Best

And Matthews may over take Spiller soon.
Yeah Mathews is definitely rising boards especially after he showed he has more speed than previously thought.

I have them as;

1. Best

1a. Mathews (depending on what you like/need)

2. Spiller

gonzo1105
03-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Spiller is by far the best back in this draft. I watched him all the time in the ACC and the man can do everything. I know people will point to bush but I think he is more of a Marshall Faulk who can run inside and outside, you can flank him out wide, or swing him out of the backfield. He may not be a need but if the Bills were to take him I wouldn't be very mad about it. The bills need playmakers that they have been sorely lacking for years now.

BigZ
03-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Subterfuge

Ickybaluky
03-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Maybe in a two back system that was a 60-40 type split. He is a good fighter but I dont see him as a long term primary RB option.

I'm not sure how many backs get more than 60% of their teams carries, but...

Why? Not being a snoot or anything, because other than his not doing it over the long haul I see no reason.

Last year he had 237 carries and averaged 4.5 YPC. He basically has done everything he has ever been asked to and been productive. I realize he doesn't have 1st round pedigree, but when a guy is doing the job he is doing the job.

Mahdi
03-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm not sure how many backs get more than 60% of their teams carries, but...

Why? Not being a snoot or anything, because other than his not doing it over the long haul I see no reason.

Last year he had 237 carries and averaged 4.5 YPC. He basically has done everything he has ever been asked to and been productive. I realize he doesn't have 1st round pedigree, but when a guy is doing the job he is doing the job.
He certainly has done everything asked of him and has done a good job. I think the only problem is that he doesn't have an elite quality.

He isn't elite at making you miss, doesn't have elite power and doesn't have elite speed.

His big play ability is very limited and for a team that needs to score more points, especially with mediocrity at QB we need to have a guy who can get 20-30 yard chunks at a time. Fred will consistently get you 4-5 yards, which is great, but it doesn't put points on the board.

Ickybaluky
03-09-2010, 01:12 PM
He certainly has done everything asked of him and has done a good job. I think the only problem is that he doesn't have an elite quality.

He isn't elite at making you miss, doesn't have elite power and doesn't have elite speed.

His big play ability is very limited and for a team that needs to score more points, especially with mediocrity at QB we need to have a guy who can get 20-30 yard chunks at a time. Fred will consistently get you 4-5 yards, which is great, but it doesn't put points on the board.

OK, he isn't a top-10 back. I agree. I still think he is a starter in the NFL and a guy who can be a lead back.

Another guy who intrigues me in this draft is Ben Tate of Auburn. Has a nice thick build and runs downhill, breaking tackles. Not a real lateral guy, but has some speed (4.4-4.5's), catches the ball well and can block. Played against good competition in college and was productive.

Mahdi
03-09-2010, 01:14 PM
OK, he isn't a top-10 back. I agree. I still think he is a starter in the NFL and a guy who can be a lead back.

Another guy who intrigues me in this draft is Ben Tate of Auburn. Has a nice thick build and runs downhill, breaking tackles. Not a real lateral guy, but has some speed (4.4-4.5's), catches the ball well and can block. Played against good competition in college and was productive.
Yeah he can be a lead back. But he will always be a player that is looked at as a potential upgrade.

Yup, Tate is going to be a good RB in the NFL. Has all the tools and comes from RB U.

SirMcGee
03-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Again...these meets don't mean ANYTHING...Means nothing.

clumping platelets
03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Nothing wrong with doing due diligence

X-Era
03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
As DB has already said, hes a playmaker.

This team needs a ton, we know that... but that also means were nowhere close. Adding a potential star at RB adds a real weapon to a team without them. Jackson is good, but he has no where near what Spiller could bring to the table.

And Spiller and Jackson in the same backfield? NASTY!

New Ro's Greatest
03-09-2010, 08:05 PM
This is a smokescreen so someone like the Chargers could come from the 20's and give us more picks. GO BILLS:handball:

ublinkwescore
03-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Willie Parker anyone?

buffalobillsfan95
03-09-2010, 09:02 PM
to me he is like a bigger verion of sproles

Throne Logic
03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Spiller in the 1st & Tebow in the 2nd. Those two would be dynamic together in the backfield.

Can you imagine the backlash if Nix and Chan ignored the OL and DL ENTIRELY for the first two rounds?

better days
03-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Can you imagine the backlash if Nix and Chan ignored the OL and DL ENTIRELY for the first two rounds?

Yeah no doubt, it would be huge.

PECKERWOOD
03-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Truth is, if he is the BPA then we should draft him, Nix has 3 years to prove his worth, if he just goes BPA he can build a really good team up in that time frame.

X-Era
03-10-2010, 05:49 AM

Yes, but I can also imagine the backlash if they pick a bust at 9. Its possible at any position, but I think id rather go outside of an immediate need than pick a lower ranked guy.

The issue to me is that they don't compete in all phases. There's no reason that we shouldn't be solving some problem through FA/trades. Instead we have to plug too many holes from just the draft. With a bust rate of say 50%, that wont get it done.

Night Train
03-10-2010, 06:16 AM
He is an electric talent. I remember everyone questioning Tennessee when they took Chris Johnson, because they had other needs and they took him high. However, he transformed their offense and it is now apparent why they took him.

Spiller has that kind of ability. He can change an offense. Not a lot of guys can do that.

Completely agree.

Our rebuilding will take more than 1 off-season. In the meantime, you add talent and this guy is a rare one. I'm still partial to LT Trent WIlliams & DT Dan Williams but I'd completely understand this pick.

Bill Cody
03-10-2010, 10:17 AM
If we are going skill position I would MUCH rather go Spiller than Bryant.

You're right. The team that drafts Bryant better hire a full time baby sitter.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 10:35 AM
There are A LOT of teams in the NFL that wish they had an "non elite" RB like Fred Jackson.

He's going to end up running Lynch right out of town, watch.

The Slave
03-10-2010, 02:44 PM
C.J Spiller is a player I've secretly wanted to draft all along.

Not interested in Dan or Trent Williams as such because they are sort of reaches where we pick.

I know I might get flamed but Price is very underrated here. He's so quick !!

NOT THE DUDE...
03-10-2010, 03:55 PM
spiller has chris johnson speed.... take him