• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Source: Bills “quietly and patiently” monitoring Bryant, Mason

I’m told by a source I trust that Buddy Nix and the Buffalo Bills front office is “quietly and patiently” monitoring free agent wide receivers Antonio Bryant and Derrick Mason.

With a lot of holes to fill in the upcoming April NFL draft, the Bills are likely to address wide receiver at some point in free agency. But the team isn’t in any rush to find one and want to see what the market is going to be for the more productive receivers still out there.

“The Bills are quietly and patiently waiting to see what happens with them and a few other guys,” the source said. “They will find a receiver in this crop but don’t want to jump the gun and have to overpay for a number two like they did last year (with Terrell Owens). There should be one or more guys that don’t find the money they’re looking for out there and that could help Buffalo.”

Buffalo is looking for a receiver to pair up with Lee Evans.

With Terrell Owens and Josh Reed both leaving the team via free agency, the team is looking for one or two veterans to come in. James Hardy should get a chance to win a starting job but after two unproductive seasons and a major knee injury there’s no guarantee he’ll be pan out.

The team also has Stevie Johnson and Roscoe Parrish on the roster. Neither is considered a legitimate number two.

Bryant was held to just 39 catches for 600 yards and four touchdowns last year with Tampa Bay. The year before he set career highs with 83 receptions, 1,248 yards and seven touchdowns.

Bryant has said publicly he’d like to play for the Miami Dolphins. He’s scheduled to visit with the Cincinnati Bengals today and the team is expected to sign him or Owens, who is also visiting.

At 36 years old Mason’s best days are behind him and would only be a short term solution. Still, Mason was productive last year with Baltimore, catching 73 passes for 1,028 yards and seven touchdowns.

Buffalo is considered a long shot for landing either of them, but that could change if interest in the pair cools off.

There are reports that Baltimore is still considering re-signing him, though they’ve already traded for Anquan Boldin and signed Donte Stallworth.

There was also a report last week the Bills were interested in Kelley Washington. The report said Buffalo and Seattle were poking around about him.

Other unrestricted free agent receivers of note include Mushin Muhammad, Mike Furrey and Bobby Wade.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Source: Bills “quietly and patiently” monitoring Bryant, Mason

Interesting...I have a feeling that this is exactly what they are going to do with other FAs. They have a list and are probably waiting around to see if they get scooped up and/or if their price comes down...

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
      • May 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      “The Bills are quietly and patiently waiting to see what happens with them and a few other guys,” the source said. “They will find a receiver in this crop but don’t want to jump the gun and overpay for a number two like they did last year (with Terrell Owens) in a feeble attempt to put butts in seats. There should be one or more guys that don’t find the money they’re looking for out there and that could help Buffalo.”
      Fixed this for you!

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

lol.. thanks

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Meanwhile, the world quietly and patiently monitors the Buffalo Bills ....
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Why the hell would Mason or Bryant come here with no capable QB?

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by The Spaz
              Why the hell would Mason or Bryant come here with no capable QB?
              Don't know.. Probably the same reason T.O. did last year

Cashola and lack of interest elsewhere, though this is different.

Bryant is in Cinci today and could sign there (him or T.O)

Mason doesnt even know if he wants to continue playing yet.

Personally, I'd love to see a 2-year deal with Mason.

But I do trust who told me these are the two were monitoring, though he did predict ultimately we'd get neither.. He predicted we'd end up with Washington

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Don't know.. Probably the same reason T.O. did last year

Cashola and lack of interest elsewhere, though this is different.

Bryant is in Cinci today and could sign there (him or T.O)

Mason doesnt even know if he wants to continue playing yet.

Personally, I'd love to see a 2-year deal with Mason.

But I do trust who told me these are the two were monitoring, though he did predict ultimately we'd get neither.. He predicted we'd end up with Washington
                TO got cut and signed with the first team that came calling. It would be nice to land either Mason/Bryant but we know it won't happen.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                  Too sober for this...
                  • Apr 2004

Pat, I don't understand the idea...If the Bills are looking at Mason or Bryant, then why just not bring in TO again? B'cse TO is more expensive? Despite the crappy QB situation here, he still had 800+ yds and an average receiving yards/catch comparable to what he has had his entire career...and he indicated that he wanted to be here...unlike most players out there.

Just me personally, I don't think it would make much sense for them to then bring in another WR now...but then again, with all the holes we have and the inaction in FA, I don't think anything they are doing is making much sense anyway.

Comment

• delectrolux
                    • May 2007

I'm all for Mason. Maybe he can bring a little James Lofton magic.

Comment

• RockStar36
                      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                      • Sep 2004

What a total downgrade from T.O.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Oaf
                        Do you read what you write?
                        • Jun 2007

I'm actually interested in bringing in Furrey.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                          H to the 12:20
                          • Jul 2002

I think Mason would be a good pick up, but I don't think he'd come into a team just starting a complete overhaul. He was ready to retire last offseason until the Ravens convinced him to come back for another year (to a team that had just been to the AFC Championship).

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

I can't stand Mason but there's no doubt that we could use his help.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Bryant is supposed to visit Washington after Cincinnati. Haven't heard of any other visits with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X