PDA

View Full Version : Source: Bills “quietly and patiently” monitoring Bryant, Mason

patmoran2006
03-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I’m told by a source I trust that Buddy Nix and the Buffalo Bills front office is “quietly and patiently” monitoring free agent wide receivers Antonio Bryant and Derrick Mason.

With a lot of holes to fill in the upcoming April NFL draft, the Bills are likely to address wide receiver at some point in free agency. But the team isn’t in any rush to find one and want to see what the market is going to be for the more productive receivers still out there.

“The Bills are quietly and patiently waiting to see what happens with them and a few other guys,” the source said. “They will find a receiver in this crop but don’t want to jump the gun and have to overpay for a number two like they did last year (with Terrell Owens). There should be one or more guys that don’t find the money they’re looking for out there and that could help Buffalo.”

Buffalo is looking for a receiver to pair up with Lee Evans.

With Terrell Owens and Josh Reed both leaving the team via free agency, the team is looking for one or two veterans to come in. James Hardy should get a chance to win a starting job but after two unproductive seasons and a major knee injury there’s no guarantee he’ll be pan out.

The team also has Stevie Johnson and Roscoe Parrish on the roster. Neither is considered a legitimate number two.

Bryant was held to just 39 catches for 600 yards and four touchdowns last year with Tampa Bay. The year before he set career highs with 83 receptions, 1,248 yards and seven touchdowns.

Bryant has said publicly he’d like to play for the Miami Dolphins. He’s scheduled to visit with the Cincinnati Bengals today and the team is expected to sign him or Owens, who is also visiting.

At 36 years old Mason’s best days are behind him and would only be a short term solution. Still, Mason was productive last year with Baltimore, catching 73 passes for 1,028 yards and seven touchdowns.

Buffalo is considered a long shot for landing either of them, but that could change if interest in the pair cools off.

There are reports that Baltimore is still considering re-signing him, though they’ve already traded for Anquan Boldin and signed Donte Stallworth.

There was also a report last week the Bills were interested in Kelley Washington. The report said Buffalo and Seattle were poking around about him.

Other unrestricted free agent receivers of note include Mushin Muhammad, Mike Furrey and Bobby Wade.

Michael82
03-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Interesting...I have a feeling that this is exactly what they are going to do with other FAs. They have a list and are probably waiting around to see if they get scooped up and/or if their price comes down...

BlackMetalNinja
03-09-2010, 09:09 AM
“The Bills are quietly and patiently waiting to see what happens with them and a few other guys,” the source said. “They will find a receiver in this crop but don’t want to jump the gun and overpay for a number two like they did last year (with Terrell Owens) in a feeble attempt to put butts in seats. There should be one or more guys that don’t find the money they’re looking for out there and that could help Buffalo.”Fixed this for you!

patmoran2006
03-09-2010, 09:09 AM
lol.. thanks

Philagape
03-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Meanwhile, the world quietly and patiently monitors the Buffalo Bills ....

The Spaz
03-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Why the hell would Mason or Bryant come here with no capable QB?

patmoran2006
03-09-2010, 09:19 AM

Don't know.. Probably the same reason T.O. did last year

Cashola and lack of interest elsewhere, though this is different.

Bryant is in Cinci today and could sign there (him or T.O)

Mason doesnt even know if he wants to continue playing yet.

Personally, I'd love to see a 2-year deal with Mason.

But I do trust who told me these are the two were monitoring, though he did predict ultimately we'd get neither.. He predicted we'd end up with Washington

The Spaz
03-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Don't know.. Probably the same reason T.O. did last year

Cashola and lack of interest elsewhere, though this is different.

Bryant is in Cinci today and could sign there (him or T.O)

Mason doesnt even know if he wants to continue playing yet.

Personally, I'd love to see a 2-year deal with Mason.

But I do trust who told me these are the two were monitoring, though he did predict ultimately we'd get neither.. He predicted we'd end up with Washington

TO got cut and signed with the first team that came calling. It would be nice to land either Mason/Bryant but we know it won't happen.

mysticsoto
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Pat, I don't understand the idea...If the Bills are looking at Mason or Bryant, then why just not bring in TO again? B'cse TO is more expensive? Despite the crappy QB situation here, he still had 800+ yds and an average receiving yards/catch comparable to what he has had his entire career...and he indicated that he wanted to be here...unlike most players out there.

Just me personally, I don't think it would make much sense for them to then bring in another WR now...but then again, with all the holes we have and the inaction in FA, I don't think anything they are doing is making much sense anyway.

delectrolux
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm all for Mason. Maybe he can bring a little James Lofton magic.

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
What a total downgrade from T.O.

Oaf
03-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm actually interested in bringing in Furrey.

Jeff1220
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I think Mason would be a good pick up, but I don't think he'd come into a team just starting a complete overhaul. He was ready to retire last offseason until the Ravens convinced him to come back for another year (to a team that had just been to the AFC Championship).

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
I can't stand Mason but there's no doubt that we could use his help.

Ickybaluky
03-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Bryant is supposed to visit Washington after Cincinnati. Haven't heard of any other visits with him.

Syderick
03-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Be nice to get either one or both of them. They'd help out the WR position.

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Mason would be good as a slot option and vet mentor but the fact that he would be the #2 here is a concern. He just can't play at that level anymore.

I think Bryant here could be disastorous.

Pinkerton Security
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
to me this "monitoring" says the bills dont really want to get in a bidding war for a guy because we're too cheap..if we really want a guy, why not just offer him a damn contract and bring him in??? I guess they dont want to overspend on a guy just because we need help, but what happens when our monitoring shows that, oh crap, they both got signed? now we get to settle for some other slobs or start some of our crappy backups?

better days
03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I’m told by a source I trust that Buddy Nix and the Buffalo Bills front office is “quietly and patiently” monitoring free agent wide receivers Antonio Bryant and Derrick Mason.

With a lot of holes to fill in the upcoming April NFL draft, the Bills are likely to address wide receiver at some point in free agency. But the team isn’t in any rush to find one and want to see what the market is going to be for the more productive receivers still out there.

“The Bills are quietly and patiently waiting to see what happens with them and a few other guys,” the source said. “They will find a receiver in this crop but don’t want to jump the gun and have to overpay for a number two like they did last year (with Terrell Owens). There should be one or more guys that don’t find the money they’re looking for out there and that could help Buffalo.”

Buffalo is looking for a receiver to pair up with Lee Evans.

With Terrell Owens and Josh Reed both leaving the team via free agency, the team is looking for one or two veterans to come in. James Hardy should get a chance to win a starting job but after two unproductive seasons and a major knee injury there’s no guarantee he’ll be pan out.

The team also has Stevie Johnson and Roscoe Parrish on the roster. Neither is considered a legitimate number two.

Bryant was held to just 39 catches for 600 yards and four touchdowns last year with Tampa Bay. The year before he set career highs with 83 receptions, 1,248 yards and seven touchdowns.

Bryant has said publicly he’d like to play for the Miami Dolphins. He’s scheduled to visit with the Cincinnati Bengals today and the team is expected to sign him or Owens, who is also visiting.

At 36 years old Mason’s best days are behind him and would only be a short term solution. Still, Mason was productive last year with Baltimore, catching 73 passes for 1,028 yards and seven touchdowns.

Buffalo is considered a long shot for landing either of them, but that could change if interest in the pair cools off.

There are reports that Baltimore is still considering re-signing him, though they’ve already traded for Anquan Boldin and signed Donte Stallworth.

There was also a report last week the Bills were interested in Kelley Washington. The report said Buffalo and Seattle were poking around about him.

Other unrestricted free agent receivers of note include Mushin Muhammad, Mike Furrey and Bobby Wade.

You should have added that Bryant was angry at being tagged & making over $8 Million last year & pulled a Jason Peters & dogged it all year.

He is looking for a big pay day, the Bills will not & should not even think about signing him.

patmoran2006
03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
to me this "monitoring" says the bills dont really want to get in a bidding war for a guy because we're too cheap..if we really want a guy, why not just offer him a damn contract and bring him in??? I guess they dont want to overspend on a guy just because we need help, but what happens when our monitoring shows that, oh crap, they both got signed? now we get to settle for some other slobs or start some of our crappy backups?

That's exactly what it is, though I wouldn't say because they are too cheap.

I dont think they want to pay $5-6 million per for a #2 WR when they already pay Evans so much money.

justasportsfan
03-09-2010, 11:17 AM

we did that with Dockery and made him the highest paid player in Bills history.

Syderick
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
What about Kevin Walter or Muhsin Muhammad?

psubills62
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
What about Kevin Walter or Muhsin Muhammad?

He signed with the Texans.

patmoran2006
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Walter got 4 years and I think $21 million with Houston; or something close to that.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-09-2010, 11:33 AM
antonio bryant would be nice....

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
antonio bryant would be nice....

Would be nice to pass on and let sign with another team.

What has Bryant done recently that makes you feel that way?

Mad Bomber
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Meanwhile, the BillsZone vocally and impatiently monitors the Buffalo Bills ....Fixed it for you.

Beebe's Kid
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Wow...I think I just read an entire thread about a couple veteran players, and I may have missed it, but I didn't see "stopgap."

That is an amazing thing. It is truly a beautiful day!!!

ServoBillieves
03-09-2010, 01:23 PM

Mason hasn't had one for most of his career... what's the difference?

ServoBillieves
03-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Wow...I think I just read an entire thread about a couple veteran players, and I may have missed it, but I didn't see "stopgap."

Stopgap.

... :begins to rain:

The Spaz
03-09-2010, 02:00 PM

He's had better QB's than what's here.

Pinkerton Security
03-09-2010, 02:52 PM
we did that with Dockery and made him the highest paid player in Bills history.

then offer them reasonable contracts...all im saying is that this "wait and see" approach is going to weed out all the good players and we'll end up with the dredges..id be more happy to overspend a tad on a good player than to not get one at all.

Syderick
03-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Walter got 4 years and I think $21 million with Houston; or something close to that.

Then how about Muhsin Muhammad?

SirMcGee
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM

Yea, Flacco and McNair were incompetent QBs.

SABURZFAN
03-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Muhammad's name was mentioned. if that doesn't have stopgap written all over it, i don't know what does.

Jeff1220
03-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Mason isn't a world beater, but he's consistent and he's pretty clutch. He definitely helped Flacco's development.

Slim
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Bryant isn't visiting the redskins per PFT

better days
03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
then offer them reasonable contracts...all im saying is that this "wait and see" approach is going to weed out all the good players and we'll end up with the dredges..id be more happy to overspend a tad on a good player than to not get one at all.

What is the point in offering a reasonable contract when there is no chance in hell they will accept it? That is just bad PR......"They wanted these guys but couldn't get them to come to Buffalo".

more cowbell
03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
lol whatever...

justasportsfan
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
there will be more cuts down the road. theres also competition for this weak FA pool.

New Ro's Greatest
03-09-2010, 08:10 PM
There are some very good mid-round WR's in this years draft. OBD should wait until then. GO BILLS:drool:

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 11:56 AM
well it looks like we could monitor them right to other teams.

Sounds like Bryant is going to Miami when its all said and done (or maybe Washington0

and Mason is either reupping with Baltimore or retiring.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 02:27 PM
No wonder why they were only patiently monitoring these guys.

Bryant just got something like 7 million per year from Cinci.. No way buffalo was paying that, and I don't blame them at all.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/03/10/bryant-signs-with-bengals/

better days
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Bryant just got something like 7 million per year from Cinci.. No way buffalo was paying that, and I don't blame them at all.

This is what I have been saying all along.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I think they're looking at a FA WR to pay about $3 million per, maybe 4 at the very most.

They WILL sign a FA WR at some point.

Ed
03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I think they're looking at a FA WR to pay about $3 million per, maybe 4 at the very most.

Yeah, I think signing a FA WR is a given at this point. We've already got a couple young guys with some potential in Hardy and Johnson. I can't see the Bills spending one of our higher picks on a guy that probably won't contribute for another couple years. At this point, I think a cheaper vet is the way to go.

BertSquirtgum
03-10-2010, 02:42 PM

yeah, definitely not worth that kind of money.

Demon
03-10-2010, 03:29 PM

I bet they wern't monitoring these guys at all.

Yasgur's Farm
03-10-2010, 03:33 PM

They WILL sign a FA WR at some point.We can more than likely get TO for that money.

Demon
03-10-2010, 03:39 PM

Obviously. My guess.... Bobby Wade. He's another small WR but i think Gailey will like having the speed on both sides with Evans and Wade. Plus, he'll be cheaper then $4 million a year. lol

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Wade would be a solid slot receiver to take Reed's spot. I haven't heard his name at all. I dont even think I've heard him linked to any team for that matter quite yet.

Demon
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Btw, the guy i would love to sign is Ronald Curry. The guy is a super athlete, deep threat, super quick and has decent size. Only 30 years old. I think his stats are off due to poor QBs he played with. Curry was also a QB in college and Gailey could use him in some trick plays.

Demon
03-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread, Pat, but speaking of WR, one of my favorite WR prospects in this entire draft class is Dezmon Briscoe. Seen him a few times. The guy reminds me of Sidney Rice. True play maker.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't mind.. I like WR talk.. Bryant is already gone and it doesnt look Mason will be interested either.

Demon
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
What do you think of Curry and Briscoe?

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Like Curry, and know nothing about Briscoe.

I dont see them taking a WR in draft before 4th or 5th round. .Is he an early prospect?

Demon
03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Like Curry, and know nothing about Briscoe.

I dont see them taking a WR in draft before 4th or 5th round. .Is he an early prospect?

I i've seen him going in the 3rd or 4th round in most mocks. Unless he jumped in the past 7-10 days that is, i havn't been keeping up with mocks lately. lol

SirMcGee
03-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Don't like either.

Bill Cody
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Is that an Indian dish?

trapezeus
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
so the "quietly and patiently" model worked out for WR just as well as it did for the coaches.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Well, time to dig into that next wave of WR's, Mason is signing with Baltimore for two more years according to Ravens Insider.

EDS
03-11-2010, 02:12 PM

You can't get much more quite and patient then than the Bills in this instance.

THRILLHO
03-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Mission accomplished, Bills F.O. You waited them out and didnt have to sign them!