PDA

View Full Version : VS back on Directv?

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
I just did a Google search to see if there were any updates and I found this:

http://www.examiner.com/x-21030-Chicago-MMA-Examiner~y2010m3d5-Versus-back-on-DirecTV

the source appears to be a MMA blog, so I don't know how reliable it is, but this would be great if it were done in time for the NHL playoffs and the UFC Fight Night on 3/21.

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Also if it's true, it looks like vs will be part of a sports pack that is an additional cost. If that's the case, I'll be adding it and removing it every time the Sabres are on just to **** with them.

hydro
03-09-2010, 12:58 PM
They better soon otherwise I know they will be losing at least one customer. My uncle plans to move to Dishnet if it isn't fixed by the playoffs.

lordofgun
03-09-2010, 01:01 PM

http://www.examiner.com/x-21030-Chicago-MMA-Examiner~y2010m3d5-Versus-back-on-DirecTV

the source appears to be a MMA blog, so I don't know how reliable it is, but this would be great if it were done in time for the NHL playoffs and the UFC Fight Night on 3/21.
Aren't the UFC Fight Nights on Spike?

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
I hope it's back for all you guys. I like to make fun of DTV, but any true NHL/Sabres fan doesn't deserve to miss playoff games over this crap.

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Aren't the UFC Fight Nights on Spike?
The last one was. The next one is supposed to be on VS.

lordofgun
I will be switching to Dish if it's not back on by 4/1. I need my hockey playoffs.

lordofgun
The last one was. The next one is supposed to be on VS.
rrrrrrrrrrr

BlackMetalNinja
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM

http://www.examiner.com/x-21030-Chicago-MMA-Examiner~y2010m3d5-Versus-back-on-DirecTV (http://www.examiner.com/x-21030-Chicago-MMA-Examiner%7Ey2010m3d5-Versus-back-on-DirecTV)

the source appears to be a MMA blog, so I don't know how reliable it is, but this would be great if it were done in time for the NHL playoffs and the UFC Fight Night on 3/21.That's the first I've heard of it, and I'd think it would be bigger news if true. I've seen the discussion pop up again lately simply because UFC fans are pissed that they might miss out on the upcoming Fight Night, so the UFC has been encouraging folks to complain about it.

BlackMetalNinja
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
DirecTV deal report 'not true' according to Versus (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/DirecTV-deal-report-not-true-according-to-Vers?urn=nhl,225938)

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
dammit, when I saw the source, I worried that it's too good to be true.

The Spaz
03-09-2010, 01:57 PM
The last comment on there isn't promising. Luckily I can still watch games on my computer.

lordofgun
03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
At $5.99/mo for the Red Zone Channel, Dish might be what I go with regardless of the Versus situation on DTV.

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
The last comment on there isn't promising. Luckily I can still watch games on my computer.

yeah I do that now, but if there's too much network traffic, the performance goes way down. With the playoffs, more people will be tuning in and I'm afraid it will be intolerable.

My parents live a few miles away and have cable- I may end up there.

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
At $5.99/mo for the Red Zone Channel, Dish might be what I go with regardless of the Versus situation on DTV.

I'm thinking of dropping the Ticket this season too. The Bills look like ****, and it's just not worth $300 a year to frustrate myself by watching the team get destroyed week in and week out.

BlackMetalNinja
03-09-2010, 03:26 PM
At $5.99/mo for the Red Zone Channel, Dish might be what I go with regardless of the Versus situation on DTV.I am strongly considering this as well since my contract with DirecTV expires in June and they have pissed me off numerous times in the past few months. Including a $50 service charge (that they never once mentioned the price of) to have a technician come out and fix my dish because the original installer didn't aim it properly.

trapezeus
03-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking of dropping the Ticket this season too. The Bills look like ****, and it's just not worth $300 a year to frustrate myself by watching the team get destroyed week in and week out.

Oh Op, you know the bills fan in you won't do this. My often discuss pal Mark is making the same threats right now. But come september, even when you know they suck, you'll know its more expensive to schlep out to a bar to watch them lose than to record it and watch them lose in fast forward, avoiding all the commercials.

the fandom is too deep in you.

As for VS. perhaps the Oscar/ABS/cablevision deal will inspire DTV and VS to make a deal during the first period of game 1 in the playoffs, hence restoring service and joy to DTV fans around the world.

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Oh Op, you know the bills fan in you won't do this. My often discuss pal Mark is making the same threats right now. But come september, even when you know they suck, you'll know its more expensive to schlep out to a bar to watch them lose than to record it and watch them lose in fast forward, avoiding all the commercials.

As for VS. perhaps the Oscar/ABS/cablevision deal will inspire DTV and VS to make a deal during the first period of game 1 in the playoffs, hence restoring service and joy to DTV fans around the world.

I'm seriously caught on this one. If the game is on and I'm not watching it, all I can think of is the game and I can't focus on anything else. At the same time, I just can't justify spending money on something that's going to waste my time and leave me angry and frustrated.

BlackMetalNinja
03-09-2010, 04:37 PM

As for VS. perhaps the Oscar/ABS/cablevision deal will inspire DTV and VS to make a deal during the first period of game 1 in the playoffs, hence restoring service and joy to DTV fans around the world.I guarantee you the Bills fan in me can and will do this. I'm done spending that much on the team until they prove it's worth my effort. Having a baby due in less than 2 months doesn't hurt either.

If I get desperate I'll search online, or go to the sports bar about a mile and a half from my house. By the end of last season, I think I was spending more time on the RZC than the Bills game anyways.

trapezeus
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I don't know about you guys, but $300 is cheaper than going to a sports bar.

That's $20 per game, roughly. seeing that i don't get any games but the two NYJ games, that's about the same or less than what the bar tab comes out to. Plus i get sound, my own TV that i don't have to crane my neck and my computer to rant and rave as things are happening.

But i was really just calling out OP. I know his style of fandom. it's similar to mine. I know the bills are going to suck, but i need to see every play for myself. it's awful. even in games they are getting kicked around and there is no reason to hope, i stick around. that helped me watch all of the 32 point comeback. nothing quite as exciting has happened since....where we are on the right side of things.

RockStar36
03-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Just for the record guys, my parents have Dish and watched the Red Zone channel when the Bills weren't playing last year and I can fully say that it was awesome and worth the 5.99.

Get Red Zone/Dish, if it means missing certain non-plays in a boring Bills game, but you get Center Ice and pocket the difference you're saving, I think that is a win-win situation.

DMBcrew36
03-09-2010, 06:17 PM

That's $20 per game, roughly. seeing that i don't get any games but the two NYJ games, that's about the same or less than what the bar tab comes out to. Plus i get sound, my own TV that i don't have to crane my neck and my computer to rant and rave as things are happening.

But i was really just calling out OP. I know his style of fandom. it's similar to mine. I know the bills are going to suck, but i need to see every play for myself. it's awful. even in games they are getting kicked around and there is no reason to hope, i stick around. that helped me watch all of the 32 point comeback. nothing quite as exciting has happened since....where we are on the right side of things.

Meh. $300 sunday ticket and I drink a $12-20 growler of heady brew at my house. Tough call.

lordofgun
03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
I just found out my work is going to pay for Comcast at my house, so problem solved. Every single channel available plus DVR and Red Zone channel for free. :D

Mski
03-09-2010, 07:51 PM
this sounds alot like what happened with time warner and NFLN... in most cases its the broadcasting co thats at fault for the problem, trying to overcharge the distributor to show the channel... so in most cases programs that get a kickback from events on Vs (like MMA) will tell you direct tv is the bad guy, when in turn they're not

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 08:24 PM

yeah, you are right. I know we're going to suck, then I watch the games, get mad that we suck, then come on the boards and complain that we suck. I'm a glutton for punishment.

The thing is, like all sports fans, I watch every game with a small glimmer of hope, thinking this might be the time we finally pull it out. Rationally, I know the chances of that are near non-existent, but they're not completely non-existent or else there'd be no reason to even play the game.

The problem I'm coming having is that glimmer of hope is getting fainter and fainter every season. I haven't enjoyed Bills football since roughly 2004, but I still watch because I'm too much of a fan to not watch.

When August comes around and it's time to fork over my $300, I'll consider canceling, then I'll call DirecTV and threaten to cancel, then they'll offer me a discount and I'll reconsider. Bills fans really are masochists.

trapezeus
03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
i hear you on the glimmer getting fainter. it's awful. the 2008 was the turning point where i stopped defending the team to friends. i just told them it was going to be brutal.....and it was. last year i told everyone they were an overachieving 7-9 team the last couple years.

the bills are slowly achieving what they want. to be so bad that we won't care when the move.