• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

So are we being Major League'd?

Yes, I know I'm not the first one to come up with the concept. But lets review the evidence:

Prior to the 2009 season, the FO inexplicably kept Dick Jauron after he blew a 5-2 start to end up 7-9. Then, they go with Russ Brandon as President/GM so they don't have to pay a separate person to be GM.

On top of that, they cut Derrick Dockery and eventually Langston Walker, and traded Jason Peters. They were replaced with... two rookies and a sophomore who didn't experience any NFL action in his rookie season.

Now, we can debate the legitimacy of these moves all day long. My personal opinion is that Dockery had to go, trading Peters was dumb but arguably necessary, and cutting Walker was just plain illogical. But I'm not interested in that right now. I'm interested in the one common thread between all three moves: lots and lots of money off the books.

The one big money move: Signing TO for $6.5 million. However, it was a one year deal, meaning no long-term monetary commitment. Hmmm..... are the gears churning yet?

Fast forward to 2010. They fire Jauron and rectify the Brandon situation by hiring Nix. Then, instead of hiring a big name coach, they hire Chan Gailey. And he's dual-hatting as HC and OC. More money savings.

Then, they don't offer contracts to Josh Reed or TO, instead going with the completely unproven Steve Johnson and James Hardy. My personal opinion is that TO had to go and Reed should have been offered a 2 or 3 year deal, but again, that's not important. The important thing is that Johnson and Hardy are cheaper than Reed and TO.... anyone else having de ja vu yet?

Then they announce that they are switching to the 3-4, a defense for which our current personnel is grossly inadequate. Free agency starts and they sign.... one offensive lineman who lost his starting job to the same Langston Walker that we CUT last year. They do nothing about the ill-equipped D. Hell, the OL that lacked both talent and depth last season has already lost two guys (Butler and Scott, and in fairness I can't hold either one against the organization), yet they only sign ONE guy. So far, they have addressed ZERO of the problems from last year, to say nothing of the numerous holes created by the change of defense.

Other factors to consider:
    -The Toronto deal ends in 2012
    -The Bills' stadium lease in 2012
    -Ralph has done NOTHING to secure the team's future in WNY after his passing
    -Both Gailey and Nix are old, and are likely to retire after their stint with the Bills. A young coach/GM with 20 years of work ahead of him would have no part of Major Leaguing a franchise, but two guys looking for a few million before they retire might.....
    -The new CBA is likely to be less friendly to low-revenue franchises like Buffalo

Now I will readily admit that all of this ranges from speculation to circumstantial evidence, and it doesn't prove anything. But look at the other sign of the coin- what has this team done to prepare for the future? What commitments do they have beyond 2012? Hell, even Cornell Green's contract is 3 years, meaning it ends in 2012..... And most importantly, what has this team done in the last 2 years that demonstrates any real commitment to winning? All they've done is replace vets with rookies and bring in cheap FO personnel/coaches.

I just presented a ton of circumstantial evidence to suggest the Bills are preparing to leave Buffalo, and there is absolutely zero evidence- circumstantial or otherwise- to suggest the team will stick around. It's quite depressing. If anyone has anything to the contrary that I am missing, please come out with it.

2012 won't be the end of the world, but it may be the end of professional football in Buffalo.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • scartown
    • Dec 2008

Re: So are we being Major League'd?

Don't worry the Bills aren't going anywhere :)

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by scartown
      Don't worry the Bills aren't going anywhere :)
      I'd like to think that. I really would. But other than Chuck Schumer and Jim Kelly making statements to the media without any substance behind them, what reason is there to believe that's true?

If there's something out there that I missed, please come out with it and I'll readily admit to being paranoid. But as of right now, I am not aware of any real reason to believe that the Bills will stay in town.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• realdealryan
        realdealrex
        • Nov 2005

Quite a show with the whole Cowher courtship, which couldn't have been part of the Major Leagueing, unless it was part of the larger conspiracy.

Comment

• more cowbell
          • Apr 2006

ive been saying this for the past 3 years.
          The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• Bling
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by more cowbell
            ive been saying this for the past 3 years.
            You need more cowbell.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
              • Dec 2004

Ummm...no. No more than Cleveland, San Fran, Detroit, and the rest of the inept franchises out there. Just piss poor management.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by TheBrownBear
                Ummm...no. No more than Cleveland, San Fran, Detroit, and the rest of the inept franchises out there. Just piss poor management.
                Also, if this were a "Major League-ing", wouldn't the front office be doing everything possible to discourage fan turnout (like in the movie) in order to prove that Buffalo isn't a "viable" market for an NFL team? If that's the case, then what's the point of the fan friendly moves of signing Owens, trading for Bledsoe, etc. that we've seen over the years?

Comment

• Romes
                  • Jul 2002

yeah, i don't think its a conspiracy. its just incompetence.
                  Originally posted by paladin warrior
                  RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• SeatownBillsFan21
                    • Mar 2004

I feel ya Op i have been in preparation for this for a few years the facts are there if your capable of critical thinking.I have lived in the Seattle area and have been TRYING to make the switch but its very hard to let go hope that 1 day we will get some kind of stable owner that wants to win and keep the team i love so much in the BEST city in the world... as far as sports go :)

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

It's called rebuilding....again.

I'm pretty sure if you were a Browns or Lions fan, you would feel the same way.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• elltrain22
                        • Sep 2003

Ralph Wilson= Rachel Phelps. Yes we are
                        If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

I don't think so, if they really wanted to do that they could do a better job.

I do wonder if Ralph Wilson is taking advantage of the uncapped year and the fact there is no cap floor. I think there are several teams doing this, like Tampa and Carolina. They are going young this year, building through the draft and saving money. I think they feel they can be ready for 2011 and the new CBA, and can spend some money then.
                          Last edited by Ickybaluky; 03-10-2010, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Thief
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by YardRat
                            It's called rebuilding....again.

I'm pretty sure if you were a Browns or Lions fan, you would feel the same way.
                            What part of what they are doing can even be considered "building"?

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TheBrownBear
                              Also, if this were a "Major League-ing", wouldn't the front office be doing everything possible to discourage fan turnout (like in the movie) in order to prove that Buffalo isn't a "viable" market for an NFL team? If that's the case, then what's the point of the fan friendly moves of signing Owens, trading for Bledsoe, etc. that we've seen over the years?
                              Not at all. Revenue streams have changed in the league. Most of the revenue comes from television and corporate sponsorship. Attendance has little if anything to do with it.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X