PDA

View Full Version : So are we being Major League'd?

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Yes, I know I'm not the first one to come up with the concept. But lets review the evidence:

Prior to the 2009 season, the FO inexplicably kept Dick Jauron after he blew a 5-2 start to end up 7-9. Then, they go with Russ Brandon as President/GM so they don't have to pay a separate person to be GM.

On top of that, they cut Derrick Dockery and eventually Langston Walker, and traded Jason Peters. They were replaced with... two rookies and a sophomore who didn't experience any NFL action in his rookie season.

Now, we can debate the legitimacy of these moves all day long. My personal opinion is that Dockery had to go, trading Peters was dumb but arguably necessary, and cutting Walker was just plain illogical. But I'm not interested in that right now. I'm interested in the one common thread between all three moves: lots and lots of money off the books.

The one big money move: Signing TO for $6.5 million. However, it was a one year deal, meaning no long-term monetary commitment. Hmmm..... are the gears churning yet?

Fast forward to 2010. They fire Jauron and rectify the Brandon situation by hiring Nix. Then, instead of hiring a big name coach, they hire Chan Gailey. And he's dual-hatting as HC and OC. More money savings.

Then, they don't offer contracts to Josh Reed or TO, instead going with the completely unproven Steve Johnson and James Hardy. My personal opinion is that TO had to go and Reed should have been offered a 2 or 3 year deal, but again, that's not important. The important thing is that Johnson and Hardy are cheaper than Reed and TO.... anyone else having de ja vu yet?

Then they announce that they are switching to the 3-4, a defense for which our current personnel is grossly inadequate. Free agency starts and they sign.... one offensive lineman who lost his starting job to the same Langston Walker that we CUT last year. They do nothing about the ill-equipped D. Hell, the OL that lacked both talent and depth last season has already lost two guys (Butler and Scott, and in fairness I can't hold either one against the organization), yet they only sign ONE guy. So far, they have addressed ZERO of the problems from last year, to say nothing of the numerous holes created by the change of defense.

Other factors to consider:
-The Toronto deal ends in 2012
-The Bills' stadium lease in 2012
-Ralph has done NOTHING to secure the team's future in WNY after his passing
-Both Gailey and Nix are old, and are likely to retire after their stint with the Bills. A young coach/GM with 20 years of work ahead of him would have no part of Major Leaguing a franchise, but two guys looking for a few million before they retire might.....
-The new CBA is likely to be less friendly to low-revenue franchises like Buffalo

Now I will readily admit that all of this ranges from speculation to circumstantial evidence, and it doesn't prove anything. But look at the other sign of the coin- what has this team done to prepare for the future? What commitments do they have beyond 2012? Hell, even Cornell Green's contract is 3 years, meaning it ends in 2012..... And most importantly, what has this team done in the last 2 years that demonstrates any real commitment to winning? All they've done is replace vets with rookies and bring in cheap FO personnel/coaches.

I just presented a ton of circumstantial evidence to suggest the Bills are preparing to leave Buffalo, and there is absolutely zero evidence- circumstantial or otherwise- to suggest the team will stick around. It's quite depressing. If anyone has anything to the contrary that I am missing, please come out with it.

2012 won't be the end of the world, but it may be the end of professional football in Buffalo.

scartown
03-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Don't worry the Bills aren't going anywhere :)

OpIv37
03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't worry the Bills aren't going anywhere :)

I'd like to think that. I really would. But other than Chuck Schumer and Jim Kelly making statements to the media without any substance behind them, what reason is there to believe that's true?

If there's something out there that I missed, please come out with it and I'll readily admit to being paranoid. But as of right now, I am not aware of any real reason to believe that the Bills will stay in town.

realdealryan
03-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Quite a show with the whole Cowher courtship, which couldn't have been part of the Major Leagueing, unless it was part of the larger conspiracy.

more cowbell
03-09-2010, 10:37 PM
ive been saying this for the past 3 years.

Bling
03-09-2010, 11:07 PM
ive been saying this for the past 3 years.

You need more cowbell.

TheBrownBear
03-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Ummm...no. No more than Cleveland, San Fran, Detroit, and the rest of the inept franchises out there. Just piss poor management.

TheBrownBear
03-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Ummm...no. No more than Cleveland, San Fran, Detroit, and the rest of the inept franchises out there. Just piss poor management.

Also, if this were a "Major League-ing", wouldn't the front office be doing everything possible to discourage fan turnout (like in the movie) in order to prove that Buffalo isn't a "viable" market for an NFL team? If that's the case, then what's the point of the fan friendly moves of signing Owens, trading for Bledsoe, etc. that we've seen over the years?

Romes
03-10-2010, 12:05 AM
yeah, i don't think its a conspiracy. its just incompetence.

SeatownBillsFan21
03-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I feel ya Op i have been in preparation for this for a few years the facts are there if your capable of critical thinking.I have lived in the Seattle area and have been TRYING to make the switch but its very hard to let go hope that 1 day we will get some kind of stable owner that wants to win and keep the team i love so much in the BEST city in the world... as far as sports go :)

YardRat
03-10-2010, 04:52 AM
It's called rebuilding....again.

I'm pretty sure if you were a Browns or Lions fan, you would feel the same way.

elltrain22
03-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Ralph Wilson= Rachel Phelps. Yes we are

Ickybaluky
03-10-2010, 06:01 AM
I don't think so, if they really wanted to do that they could do a better job.

I do wonder if Ralph Wilson is taking advantage of the uncapped year and the fact there is no cap floor. I think there are several teams doing this, like Tampa and Carolina. They are going young this year, building through the draft and saving money. I think they feel they can be ready for 2011 and the new CBA, and can spend some money then.

Thief
03-10-2010, 06:14 AM

I'm pretty sure if you were a Browns or Lions fan, you would feel the same way.What part of what they are doing can even be considered "building"?

OpIv37
03-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Also, if this were a "Major League-ing", wouldn't the front office be doing everything possible to discourage fan turnout (like in the movie) in order to prove that Buffalo isn't a "viable" market for an NFL team? If that's the case, then what's the point of the fan friendly moves of signing Owens, trading for Bledsoe, etc. that we've seen over the years?

Not at all. Revenue streams have changed in the league. Most of the revenue comes from television and corporate sponsorship. Attendance has little if anything to do with it.

OpIv37
03-10-2010, 08:07 AM

I'm pretty sure if you were a Browns or Lions fan, you would feel the same way.

Do the Browns, Lions, 49ers have stadium leases and other deals that expire in 2012, with suspiciously few financial liabilities beyond that date?

Michael82
03-10-2010, 08:33 AM

Exactly! Although I honestly think that they are doing it the right way this time. Build thru the draft, don't keep plugging in FAs to fill the holes. Build the team from scratch. We do have a few pieces, but this season reminds me of the year that Donahoe took over.

madness
03-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Yes, but Jauron's choice last year to rip off pieces of clothing off a cardboard cut-out of Ralphie didn't go over as well so the team decided to tank more than usual.

:shakeno:

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 09:13 AM
I don't think so, if they really wanted to do that they could do a better job.

I do wonder if Ralph Wilson is taking advantage of the uncapped year and the fact there is no cap floor. I think there are several teams doing this, like Tampa and Carolina. They are going young this year, building through the draft and saving money. I think they feel they can be ready for 2011 and the new CBA, and can spend some money then.

I think that's absolutely what they, and a few other teams are doing; without a doubt.

ChanGailey
03-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm on my phone and I really wanted to reply so I had to skip a couple posts, so if this was already thought of, I'm sorry.

Ralph is a good business man. I think we can all agree on that. Maybe this is a plan to gain leverage to gain some $ from the government, maybe for a new stadium?

The commish has said we need to get a new one sooner or later. Ralph is old so he's got to be thinking about leaving a legacy. Say what u want but I see buildings at fisher with his name on it. He's built a lot of things.

If its all up in 2012 he could say to the govt look, my lease is up, I can head for greener pastures. If you want the bills here long after I'm gone, you gotta pony up and help me build a stadium.

He could say I've been saving $ and hustled canada for $. I'm ready to do my half. But I can sell this whole ship to Roski or whoever right now and take my $ with me?

Idk, just what came to mind when I was reading everything.

OpIv37
03-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm on my phone and I really wanted to reply so I had to skip a couple posts, so if this was already thought of, I'm sorry.

Ralph is a good business man. I think we can all agree on that. Maybe this is a plan to gain leverage to gain some $ from the government, maybe for a new stadium?

The commish has said we need to get a new one sooner or later. Ralph is old so he's got to be thinking about leaving a legacy. Say what u want but I see buildings at fisher with his name on it. He's built a lot of things.

If its all up in 2012 he could say to the govt look, my lease is up, I can head for greener pastures. If you want the bills here long after I'm gone, you gotta pony up and help me build a stadium.

He could say I've been saving $ and hustled canada for $. I'm ready to do my half. But I can sell this whole ship to Roski or whoever right now and take my $ with me?

Idk, just what came to mind when I was reading everything.

It's possible, but both NYS and Erie County are flat broke right now, so it's like trying to get blood from a stone.

bigbub2352
03-10-2010, 09:56 AM
i truly think something has to be up i have said this many times on here, most on here are very educated in football and maybe we all didntplay in the NFL but some played alot of ball... and im telling u right now call me a conspiracy theorist cause the moves we make... the hirings.... the drafts.. how does everyone bash our every move and for 10 years been dead right

Scary of u think about it i hope the put a peel away ralph wilson cardboard cut out in the locker room then for motivation

cause the green signing is a sign that nothing has changed and medicracy is the way to run a franchise
also throw in the tenders of
corto
ellison
gaddis
youboty
schouman
stupar
and the guys still on the roster like whitner kelsay mcyntire parrish mccargo just shows u they are not serious at all about change

Michael82
03-10-2010, 10:04 AM
It's possible, but both NYS and Erie County are flat broke right now, so it's like trying to get blood from a stone.
If New York state needs money for an expensive project, they usually can find it. Just ask the New York Yankees and the New York Mets, plus the city of Rochester for their Fast Ferry...:ill:

Thief
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Exactly! Although I honestly think that they are doing it the right way this time. Build thru the draft, don't keep plugging in FAs to fill the holes. Build the team from scratch. We do have a few pieces, but this season reminds me of the year that Donahoe took over.I guess I do not understand. Are you under the impression we lose draft picks if we attempt to upgrade the team via free agency? Sounds like you are eating up the BS lines the Bills are feeding us. Signing established vets who clearly upgrade you team, while adding players through the draft is the way to go.

Saying "We think the best way to upgrade our team is to not sign available free agents" is like saying "hey, we hope our fans are stupid enough to continue paying for our inferior product while we take the money and run."

Michael82
10-04-2010, 12:30 PM
BUMP!

Michael82
10-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't know about you guys...but I'm starting to get this feeling more than ever right now. At the games, the Bills are banning fans from hanging signs on the wall, like they always used to do. They are making new rules for parking and tailgating. They are pushing fans away away by restricting tailgating. For the record, Kenny's tailgate was allowed in and did their usual thing yesterday, without the bowling ball. However, there was one big tailgate in that lot that has been there for 6-8 years and wasn't allowed in the parking lot because their truck was too big now, yet it wasn't before this...."Illegal Motion" :rolleyes:

Then look at the ****ty product on the field. The players don't seem to care. The coaching staff sucks ass right now. The front office can't draft to save their lives. All this just makes more fans frustrated and want to give up.

Mike
10-04-2010, 12:47 PM
OPIV

I came out with a similar theory a few years back....
My theory was that RW gave up on winning after the Tom Donohue (sp)era.

In his giving up, he hired a great Marketer (Russ Brandon) who would find a way to keep people in the seats while hiring cheap players and coaches so to maximize profits for his family. Right now, for RW everything is about passing what he can down without it being taxed to hell.

As for the City of Buffalo, its in a catch 22! If you dont support the Bills than it obvious that they should move, if you do support the Bills great but it was not enough - something about the market being small.

When I shared this theory with others, many -including yourself- said that is was too elaborate and "too good" for them to be thinking along these lines.

Right now, it still seems this way to me. Case in point, we continue to hire cheap players & coaches.

OpIv37
10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

those two moves were years ago, not now.

And they are cracking down on tailgating and signs in the stadium, which does discourage fan turnout....

OpIv37
10-04-2010, 12:57 PM
OPIV

I came out with a similar theory a few years back....
My theory was that RW gave up on winning after the Tom Donohue (sp)era.

In his giving up, he hired a great Marketer (Russ Brandon) who would find a way to keep people in the seats while hiring cheap players and coaches so to maximize profits for his family. Right now, for RW everything is about passing what he can down without it being taxed to hell.

As for the City of Buffalo, its in a catch 22! If you dont support the Bills than it obvious that they should move, if you do support the Bills great but it was not enough - something about the market being small.

When I shared this theory with others, many -including yourself- said that is was too elaborate and "too good" for them to be thinking along these lines.

Right now, it still seems this way to me. Case in point, we continue to hire cheap players & coaches.

If I said that before, then I've completely changed my thinking. There is no way that anyone can be this incompetent by accident. For example, I'm pretty sure that someone who's never watched college football before could read Mel Kiper's draft report and do a better job of drafting than this franchise does.

I agree with the catch-22 part and have said the same thing myself numerous times.

RockStar36
10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
those two moves were years ago, not now.

And they are cracking down on tailgating and signs in the stadium, which does discourage fan turnout....

You know also discourages fan turnout?

Playing like they did yesterday.

BertSquirtgum
10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
i hate to say it but if i had a choice of continuing to watch this garbage or have them move.......i would chose them moving.

OpIv37
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
i hate to say it but if i had a choice of continuing to watch this garbage or have them move.......i would chose them moving.

Several of us said the same thing in another thread. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Michael82
10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Sounds like it's working then.... :puke: