PDA

View Full Version : Bills Attend QB John Skelton Pro Day

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Fordham University held its pro day workout on Tuesday, and quarterback John Skelton (6-5 3/8, 241) had a good workout in front of talent evaluators from nine NFL teams, including Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and quarterbacks coach James Urban, Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and Bills quarterbacks coach George Cortez.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Mike13
03-09-2010, 10:49 PM
umm who?

ZacGriffi~82
03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't know anything about him, but he clearly has the size. Where's he projected to go?

mrbojanglezs
03-09-2010, 10:53 PM
umm who?

he is huge and can throw the ball a mile, bit of a project, but if we are going project route, he blows tebow out of the water

DraftBoy
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I don't know anything about him, but he clearly has the size. Where's he projected to go?

5th-6th

TigerJ
03-09-2010, 11:20 PM
he is huge and can throw the ball a mile, bit of a project, but if we are going project route, he blows tebow out of the water

Agreed. He is among the more athletic prospects, and has a major league arm, but he has a lot to learn before he can be an NFL QB. I think he's mechanics are better than Tebow's, or at least Tebow's college mechanics, though that's not saying much.

tampabay25690
03-10-2010, 04:12 AM
I like this kid alot.
I think he has some great upside and him working out in INDI at the combine helped alot...

SaviorEdwards
03-10-2010, 04:35 AM
what a shame if we draft a skeleton and we dont even have skeletor anymore

ZAZusmc03
03-10-2010, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't mind a late round pick on skelton. The guy looks pretty impressiive

wmoz11
03-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Jim Miller was on Sirius the other day saying that he showed the best mechanics of any QB at the combine.

elltrain22
03-10-2010, 08:08 AM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

Do you like Skelton DB? Just wondering.Positives/negatives??

justasportsfan
03-10-2010, 09:52 AM
The sky is falling!!!!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Don't want this guy AT ALL.

justasportsfan
03-10-2010, 09:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY3_onk6QlM

Ed
03-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Since we will most likely have no shot at Bradford, I like the idea of drafting a guy like Skelton later in the draft. I say give Brohm a shot next year and let a guy like Skelton sit on the bench and get adjusted to the NFL level.

DraftBoy
03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Do you like Skelton DB? Just wondering.Positives/negatives??

I do, he is a big, strong armed kid, who is smart with the football and doesnt make a lot of poor decisions. The issues I have with him are that he is extremely raw and didnt really blow me away at the FCS level. I mean granted he was one of the best FCS QB's in the country but there wasn't a wow factor to his games. It was more like ho-hum just doing his job.

Id like him Round 6, but I wouldnt play him till 2012.

psubills62
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Two NFL teams reportedly left the Fordham Pro Day Tuesday with a third-round grade on QB John Skelton.

Skelton showed improved accuracy and his typically powerful arm during an impressive workout. The four-year starter appears to be making a strong case to be one of the first four or five QBs drafted in April. According to NFL.com's Gil Brandt, Eagles OC Marty Mornhinweg, Bengals QBs coach Ken Zampese, and Bills QBs coach George Cortez were among those on hand.

Interesting. (rotoworld.com is the source).

trapezeus
03-10-2010, 12:05 PM

it's rumored that Skelton likes duffs wings more than anchor bar. He declared them "with no sog and incredibly tasty."

tampabay25690
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM

Why not THURM??

Night Train
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM
5th-6th

Agreed. I watch him in the East-West Shrine. Cannon arm but raw as all hell.

His QB coach will be going to the bathroom with him for the next 2 years.

better days
03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
Since I don't know him at all, my question would be why does a guy with his physical attributes wind up at Fordham? You would think he would have been recruited by at least one D1 School.

Bmax
03-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Here are my ratings before the combine and Senior bowl workout at QB for this Drafft

1. Bradford
2.Clausen
3. Tebow
4.Lefevour
5. Snead
6. McCoy
7. Pike
8. Brown
9. Skelton

After

1. Bradford
2. Clausen
3. Lefevour
4. Snead
5. Skelton
6. Brown
7. Tebow
8.McCoy
9. Pike

I would take Skelton in Rd 4 or 5 now

I think he could rise to Rd 3... there is talk that he could be a Flacco type guy the kid has a cannon...He needs work but he would fit the mold of a big arm qb who can make all the throws in the wind at the ralph...

Bmax

malo
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
If he was any good, he wouldn't be playing at Fordham. That's for sure. Next.

ZAZusmc03
03-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I love these moronic arguments. I would choose the starting spot at a small school over a back up role on a big school in a heartbeat.

The Spaz
03-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Dumb comment.:brilliant:

BillsWin
03-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm telling you guys, Zack Eskridge from Midwestern State is going to be a good player and will enter the draft next year. Not only that, but there is Locker and Mallet and Devlin.

We are not getting Bradford or Clausen (Or so it would appear) So let's fix our defense and offensive line and go QB next year. Edwards or Quinn (for a late round pick) wouldn't be an awful stop gap.

We are going to suck anyway.

ZAZusmc03
03-11-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm telling you guys, Zack Eskridge from Midwestern State is going to be a good player and will enter the draft next year. Not only that, but there is Locker and Mallet and Devlin.

We are not getting Bradford or Clausen (Or so it would appear) So let's fix our defense and offensive line and go QB next year. Edwards or Quinn (for a late round pick) wouldn't be an awful stop gap.

We are going to suck anyway.

I can agree with what your saying. I'd like to see Brohm play with this season to see what he has, and if we could bring in Quinn for a 6th or 7th I wouldn't be upset about that competition in camp. Either way, I would rather we focus on our O-Line and D as well. A good O line and D can make an average qb a lot better.

better days
03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I love these moronic arguments. I would choose the starting spot at a small school over a back up role on a big school in a heartbeat.

Well again I would ask, why can't a guy with his physical attributes win a starting job at a big school. Small schools like Fordham attract smaller, slower players, players that can't make it in D1 Football for one reason or another. So what is he lacking that he had to go to Fordham is my question.

DraftBoy
03-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Well again I would ask, why can't a guy with his physical attributes win a starting job at a big school. Small schools like Fordham attract smaller, slower players, players that can't make it in D1 Football for one reason or another. So what is he lacking that he had to go to Fordham is my question.

Would you like to ask Marques Colston the same question? or one of a number of other players who went to small school and because NFL stars despite it? Like Jerry Rice, and Terrell Owens.

TedMock
03-11-2010, 09:27 AM
The fact that he played at Fordham doesn't bother me at all. Flacco played at Delaware, Roethlisberger played at Miami (OH). What does bother me is that he was abolutely the best player on the field at all times and could not pull out decent games on several occasions. He'd havd 4 or 5 TD's in some games and that is exactly where he should be against smaller schools, but to have 0 or 1 againsts schools like Holy Cross is very disturbing. Athletically, he is an absolute stud, but as a competitor I have to question his motivation. His body language screams of "I don't care" and that bugs me. He's a very frustrating prospect because you just cannot get a good read on him despite his superior athleticism and arm strength. I'd say he goes in the 6th or 7th and works the third team for a bit before being considered anything else on the depth chart.

better days
03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Would you like to ask Marques Colston the same question? or one of a number of other players who went to small school and because NFL stars despite it? Like Jerry Rice, and Terrell Owens.

No I wouldn't, it does not matter if they went to small schools due to poor grades or whatever. They are not in this draft. The person in this draft is Skelton & I think it is a valid question to ask why Skelton did not play at a D1 school.

better days
03-11-2010, 09:42 AM
The fact that he played at Fordham doesn't bother me at all. Flacco played at Delaware, Roethlisberger played at Miami (OH). What does bother me is that he was abolutely the best player on the field at all times and could not pull out decent games on several occasions. He'd havd 4 or 5 TD's in some games and that is exactly where he should be against smaller schools, but to have 0 or 1 againsts schools like Holy Cross is very disturbing. Athletically, he is an absolute stud, but as a competitor I have to question his motivation. His body language screams of "I don't care" and that bugs me. He's a very frustrating prospect because you just cannot get a good read on him despite his superior athleticism and arm strength. I'd say he goes in the 6th or 7th and works the third team for a bit before being considered anything else on the depth chart.

This is the kind of thing I am questioning. Did he go to Fordham because he did not want to compete for a spot on a D1 school?

That competitive fire is what makes players in all sports great. People that do not have that fire usually have mediocre careers no matter how athletic or talented they are.

Ed
03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
No I wouldn't, it does not matter if they went to small schools due to poor grades or whatever. They are not in this draft. The person in this draft is Skelton & I think it is a valid question to ask why Skelton did not play at a D1 school.
This is an older article from before the season, but it talks a little bit about Skelton coming out of HS in El Paso TX and not really getting attention from college scouts.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/08/24/2009-08-24_unheralded_fordham_qb_john_skelton.html

BidsJr
03-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Here are my ratings before the combine and Senior bowl workout at QB for this Drafft

1. Bradford
2.Clausen
3. Tebow
4.Lefevour
5. Snead
6. McCoy
7. Pike
8. Brown
9. Skelton

After

1. Bradford
2. Clausen
3. Lefevour
4. Snead
5. Skelton
6. Brown
7. Tebow
8.McCoy
9. Pike

I think he could rise to Rd 3... there is talk that he could be a Flacco type guy the kid has a cannon...He needs work but he would fit the mold of a big arm qb who can make all the throws in the wind at the ralph...

Bmax

LOL!

justasportsfan
03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
If coming from a small school was a major reason why people shouldn't draft this guy, then NFL teams wouldn't be sending their people to check him out.

This guy has BIg Bens size and seems to be just as or much more mobile with a huge arm.

better days
03-11-2010, 09:53 AM
If coming from a small school was a major reason why people shouldn't draft this guy, then NFL teams wouldn't be sending their people to check him out.

This guy has BIg Bens size and seems to be just as or much more mobile with a huge arm.

I think the question is what rnd he is drafted in.

justasportsfan
03-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I think the question is what rnd he is drafted in.

Don't know what teams think of him now that they've seen him up close and personal.

DraftBoy
03-11-2010, 10:05 AM

Of course not that hurts your argument.

Skelton was not heavily recruited coming out of Texas HS because he wasn't recruiting coordinators miss every year on guys who could of helped their teams but went to smaller schools instead.

And btw Fordham is a D1 school.

justasportsfan
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM
He may have played at a small school but the question is consistency.

Skelton had a solid first full year as the starting quarterback in 2007 being named 2007 Second Team All-Patriot League in a season where he threw for 22 touchdowns, (the third best single season total in Fordham history, as a sophomore). He threw for over 200 yards in seven games in 2007 and for over 300 yards in two games and ranked second in the Patriot League in passing yards per game and total offense. He lead the Fordham Rams to a Patriot League championship,[4] earning them a trip to the NCAA FCS playoffs. In the playoff game against the University of Massachusetts, Skelton set a Patriot League playoff record for touchdowns responsible for at five(5), where he threw for 3 and ran for 2.

[edit] 2008
In 2008 Fordham struggled to a 5–6 record, missing the playoffs. However, Skelton put up good numbers for the Fordham Rams with 2,650 yards, and 15 touchdowns with 7 interceptions, finishing the season ranked second in the Patriot League in passing average (236.8 yards/game) and total offense (244.5).

[edit] 2009
John Skelton's senior year, the 2009 season, was a record shattering one, setting new school records for completions and passing yards. He leads the NCAA FCS in passing yards/game(337.09)and total passing yards (3,708), is ranked second in total offense (348.18/yards/game), and third in completions per game (25.82).

Out of the 11 scheduled games this season, Skelton threw for over 300 yards eight times, 4 of which were over 400 yards. For his 4 year career at Fordham, he completed 802 passes for 9,923 yards and 69 touchdowns, all school records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Skelton_(American_football)

With those nos. I can see why teams were interested. Remember how Nix talkes about players being one year wonders in college (Maybin) , this guy isn't one of them.

One things for sure, I'm tired of qb's that could barely throw for more than 200 yards under Dick.

Dicknoze69
03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Skelton is visiting Buffalo on Sunday:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/03/10/report-skelton-to-visit-with-bills/

ZAZusmc03
03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Skelton is visiting Buffalo on Sunday:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/03/10/report-skelton-to-visit-with-bills/

Good to hear. I would rather hear about the bills bringing in the guys projected later in the draft to get a good look at what kind of impact they may have for us if we draft them.

ddaryl
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
I would not mind drafting such a guy in the 3rd or later. I think every few years a mid round QB should be brought in and groomed via 3rd stringing or practice squading or both...

I would be pretty happy if we could get a decent vet QB to compete and mentor Brohm and a late round draft pick for a year or 2

ZAZusmc03
03-11-2010, 11:18 AM
I would not mind drafting such a guy in the 3rd or later. I think every few years a mid round QB should be brought in and groomed via 3rd stringing or practice squading or both...

I would be pretty happy if we could get a decent vet QB to compete and mentor Brohm and a late round draft pick for a year or 2

Agreed.

Our situation is what has me on the fence. We have TE and Brohm, Both young guys that could be decent caliber nfl qbs with the proper coaching. But in order for a young guy to become something, we need to have a serviceable vet ahead of them. Brohm, a draft pick, or even edwards could really benefit from learning behind a good Vet. Problem is....who would the vet be to bring in?

justasportsfan
I heard his arm so so strong that they will ask him to throw the ball in Niagara from the US side to the Canadian side .

Commissioner

1. Bradford
2.Clausen
3. Tebow
4.Lefevour
5. Snead
6. McCoy
7. Pike
8. Brown
9. Skelton

After

1. Bradford
2. Clausen
3. Lefevour
4. Snead
5. Skelton
6. Brown
7. Tebow
8.McCoy
9. Pike

Bmax

It always amazes me how much a person draft status changes after the combine... an event where they aren't wearing pads or in a football game setting....

I prefer ranking guys based on how they performed against good competition in real games.

Ingtar33
03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I do, he is a big, strong armed kid, who is smart with the football and doesnt make a lot of poor decisions. The issues I have with him are that he is extremely raw and didnt really blow me away at the FCS level. I mean granted he was one of the best FCS QB's in the country but there wasn't a wow factor to his games. It was more like ho-hum just doing his job.

Id like him Round 6, but I wouldnt play him till 2012.

he doesn't make many decisions.

he basically locks onto his first target and doesn't progress beyond that. This kid has shown me zero ability to read a defense or progress through his reads.

Which is why a 6'5" guy with great form and a good arm is going in round 6 (if at all) in the draft.

B-DON
03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
The sky is falling!!!!!!!!

just like your rep. do you ever post anything knowledgeable on this board or just lame ass comments and jokes?

better days
03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Of course not that hurts your argument.

Skelton was not heavily recruited coming out of Texas HS because he wasn't recruiting coordinators miss every year on guys who could of helped their teams but went to smaller schools instead.

And btw Fordham is a D1 school.

What hurts my arguement? The fact good players have come out of small schools? I NEVER said small school guys could not be successful in the NFL. But I think all small school guys are asked that question by teams. Why did they not go to a D1 school?

OK, yeah Fordham is D1...................AA. I would bet NFL teams are asking him the same question I asked. The fact he chose to go to Fordham over UTEP would be a concern to me if I were drafting him. A real competitor............like Tim Tebow would have gone to UTEP & proven to all the other big schools they were wrong for not recruiting him & offering him a scholarship. But then not eveyone has that competitive fire that Tebow has.

better days
03-11-2010, 02:13 PM

I agree, I think every couple years they should draft a QB in the later rounds. If they were able to get a franchise QB, I would be all for it otherwise a vet to compete in camp is a must.

DraftBoy
03-11-2010, 04:10 PM
he doesn't make many decisions.

he basically locks onto his first target and doesn't progress beyond that. This kid has shown me zero ability to read a defense or progress through his reads.

Which is why a 6'5" guy with great form and a good arm is going in round 6 (if at all) in the draft.

He doesn't force the ball into tight coverages is more what I meant than about his progression reading.