PDA

View Full Version : Miller Contract

jamze132
03-10-2010, 02:34 AM
So how long do we get to enjoy his services? Do you think the Sabres will pony up when the time comes?

Crisis
03-10-2010, 02:55 AM
He signed a 5 year extension in 08 with 1 year remaining on his previous 3 year extension, so he'll be here until after the 13-14 season atleast.

clumping platelets
03-10-2010, 04:31 AM
nhlnumbers.com

RockStar36
03-10-2010, 06:20 AM
They have ponied up for two extensions on him so far during his career, so I'm not very worried about this one. It's the Vanek and Pominville contracts that they need to get out of.

THATHURMANATOR
03-10-2010, 04:40 PM
By the time this contract is up he will be old anyways.

Ebenezer
03-10-2010, 04:49 PM
They have ponied up for two extensions on him so far during his career, so I'm not very worried about this one. It's the Vanek and Pominville contracts that they need to get out of.
why Vanek? He's cheap for a 40 goal scorer...granted - he is having an off year but try to get a 40 goal scorer and see what you have to pay.

jamze132
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
why Vanek? He's cheap for a 40 goal scorer...granted - he is having an off year but try to get a 40 goal scorer and see what you have to pay.
I doubt he scores 40 again.

RockStar36
03-11-2010, 07:45 AM

:rofl:

He is cheap? 40 goal scorer?

I guarantee the only person making the same amount of money as him or more and scoring less is Chris Drury.

For the amount of money he makes, he should be a point per game player.

Instead, he gets paid to miss the net and swear at himself on the bench.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2010, 10:01 AM
:rofl:

He is cheap? 40 goal scorer?

I guarantee the only person making the same amount of money as him or more and scoring less is Chris Drury.

For the amount of money he makes, he should be a point per game player.

Instead, he gets paid to miss the net and swear at himself on the bench.

Goals and points are two different things. He said 40 goal scorer, which he has done multiple times.

OpIv37
03-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Goals and points are two different things. He said 40 goal scorer, which he has done multiple times.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3344/career;_ylt=AsFqZwYgOELH4ezU3e5LMqlivLYF

he's hit 40 twice in 4 complete seasons. He's unlikely to hit it this year, with 20 goals and just 17 games left. So, he's about to be 2 for 5 on hitting 40. In my book, that doesn't count as a 40 goal scorer.

I don't think he's having an off year. I think he's more of a 30 goal scorer than a 40 goal scorer. Last year was just a fluke, and in 2006-07, he benefited from being on an extremely high-scoring team and not having to compete with other team's top lines.

Vanek is the 13th highest paid player in the NHL (according to http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php). He's currently tied for 47th in goals and tied for 90th in points in the NHL.

Of the 12 players who make more than Vanek, the only one with comparably low production is Eric Staal (I'm not counting Chara or Lidstrom since they play D). Everyone else has more goals, more points, or both.

Vanek's production isn't even close to being on par with his salary.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2010, 10:48 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3344/career;_ylt=AsFqZwYgOELH4ezU3e5LMqlivLYF

he's hit 40 twice in 4 complete seasons. He's unlikely to hit it this year, with 20 goals and just 17 games left. So, he's about to be 2 for 5 on hitting 40. In my book, that doesn't count as a 40 goal scorer.

I don't think he's having an off year. I think he's more of a 30 goal scorer than a 40 goal scorer. Last year was just a fluke, and in 2006-07, he benefited from being on an extremely high-scoring team and not having to compete with other team's top lines.

Vanek is the 13th highest paid player in the NHL (according to http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php). He's currently tied for 47th in goals and tied for 90th in points in the NHL.

Of the 12 players who make more than Vanek, the only one with comparably low production is Eric Staal (I'm not counting Chara or Lidstrom since they play D). Everyone else has more goals, more points, or both.

Vanek's production isn't even close to being on par with his salary.

So, take away his two best years and he isn't a 40 goal scorer?
Can anybody tell me who that sounds like?

BlackMetalNinja
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Vanek is the 13th highest paid player in the NHL (according to http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php) (http://www.nhlnumbers.com/sort.php%29). He's currently tied for 47th in goals and tied for 90th in points in the NHL.

Vanek's production isn't even close to being on par with his salary.Staal has been hurt here and there and is having a down year by his standards, of course so is that whole team. Lidstrom plays D and still only has one point less than Vanek... and clearly a lot more valuable beyond just points. Vanek has been massively disappointing this year. I'm really hoping he can turn it around next year and earn that money, because in reality he basically hit the contract jackpot in terms of timing and Edmonton doing what they did.

OpIv37
03-11-2010, 10:50 AM
So, take away his two best years and he isn't a 40 goal scorer?
Can anybody tell me who that sounds like?

Oh please.

You and Eb are claiming he's a 40 goal scorer. He does that half the time, and it will be less than half the time after this season is over. He doesn't score 40 consistently so your claim isn't realistic. Don't try to spin this around on me.

And you completely neglected the portion about how everyone who gets paid on the same level as Vanek has far better production.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Oh please.

You and Eb are claiming he's a 40 goal scorer. He does that half the time, and it will be less than half the time after this season is over. He doesn't score 40 consistently so your claim isn't realistic. Don't try to spin this around on me.

And you completely neglected the portion about how everyone who gets paid on the same level as Vanek has far better production.

Would you rather have Marion Gaborik?

He IS a 40 goal scorer. Contrary to your opinion or your own scoring process, he has scored 40 goals in a season not once, but twice.

Don't talk to be about money, we already know that the Sabres f'ed up their whole team regarding money. Let Briere, Drury, Campbell, etc go because they didn't want to pony up before they had to and then couldn't afford it or were outbid. Then they HAD to pay for Vanek who signed with another team because they couldn't lose him. No, Vanek isn't worth the money, but someone else offered him the money, should he have turned it down?

RockStar36
03-11-2010, 11:06 AM

He should be doing it every single year for the amount of money he makes. He is wildly inconsistent and isn't even close to earning his paycheck.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2010, 11:12 AM
He should be doing it every single year for the amount of money he makes. He is wildly inconsistent and isn't even close to earning his paycheck.

True, he is inconsistent. But I don't usually jump on the guy because of the money he makes. It wasn't like he was holding out for more money and we signed him, his agent made a phenomenal deal and we are paying for it. I never thought Vanek was a superstar and I don't think he ever will be, but I think he is a valuable goal scorer and we need more of it from him. My heart wouldn't break if we traded Vanek away.

OpIv37
03-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Would you rather have Marion Gaborik?

He IS a 40 goal scorer. Contrary to your opinion or your own scoring process, he has scored 40 goals in a season not once, but twice.

Don't talk to be about money, we already know that the Sabres f'ed up their whole team regarding money. Let Briere, Drury, Campbell, etc go because they didn't want to pony up before they had to and then couldn't afford it or were outbid. Then they HAD to pay for Vanek who signed with another team because they couldn't lose him. No, Vanek isn't worth the money, but someone else offered him the money, should he have turned it down?

He did it TWICE in 4 TIMES. You accused me of using Wys logic, but you're doing the exact same thing. "He's a 40 goal scorer, if you ignore all the times he didn't score 40 goals."

They couldn't lose Vanek? Really? You don't think we could find another 20 goals- or even 30- with his $7 million? I bet we could.

RockStar36
03-11-2010, 11:15 AM
True, he is inconsistent. But I don't usually jump on the guy because of the money he makes. It wasn't like he was holding out for more money and we signed him, his agent made a phenomenal deal and we are paying for it. I never thought Vanek was a superstar and I don't think he ever will be, but I think he is a valuable goal scorer and we need more of it from him. My heart wouldn't break if we traded Vanek away.

I see what you're saying but he needs to be held accountable for the money he makes. He cashes that huge paycheck, he needs to earn it.

RockStar36
03-11-2010, 11:18 AM
He did it TWICE in 4 TIMES. You accused me of using Wys logic, but you're doing the exact same thing. "He's a 40 goal scorer, if you ignore all the times he didn't score 40 goals."

They couldn't lose Vanek? Really? You don't think we could find another 20 goals- or even 30- with his $7 million? I bet we could.

Let's just go ahead and assume he isn't going to score 20 goals in the next 12 games, therefore it's twice in five years.

On top of that, in terms of point production, our 20 year old rookie defenseman has SIX less points on the season.

chernobylwraiths
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM

Would you consider Jerome Iginla a very good goal scorer? A 40 goal scorer? Without looking.

RockStar36
03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Would you consider Jerome Iginla a very good goal scorer? A 40 goal scorer? Without looking.

I know this will be a trick question because they are probably more assists, but I'm sure based on point production he earns his paycheck.

OpIv37
03-11-2010, 11:53 AM

If you're asking me if I consider Iginla a 40 goal scorer, without looking, I don't know.

If you're asking me if I'd rather have Iginla than Vanek, the answer is unequivocally yes. The only advantage Vanek has is age.