PDA

View Full Version : jimmy kennedy

lafluer
03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
will visit bills on thursday per jason l.

Scumbag College
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
I know he has the dimensions of a NT, but I don't believe that he's ever played in a 3-4.

camelcowboy
03-10-2010, 08:09 PM
will visit bills on thursday per jason l.
Who is Jason I ?

psubills62
03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Who is Jason I ?
It's Jason L, as in Jason La Canfora.

According to rotoworld, he's never played in a 2-gap system before. They predict the Bills are looking at him as a DE.

Mahdi
03-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I think he would fit in great as a 5-technique DE

bigbub2352
03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
never played in a 3-4... complete bust coming out of college... sounds like our type of cheap move

The Spaz
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
I can't believe he's 30 already. Boy am I getting old. He wasn't bad last year. No idea how he would do as a 3-4 guy here.

Slim
Would LOVE him as a DE. Pat would be very happy about this.

DBrown77
If I remember correctly he was a beast in the playoffs. What"s our infatuation with backup DL's from Minni? IE: Spencer Johnson

That scrub Melvin Fowler came from Minni too.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-10-2010, 08:42 PM
He is a 1tech that played over the center in minnesota. so im thinking he will be our backup nt, but its possible he could play end. add solid depth. hopefully he will sign a 3 year deal

WeAreArthurMoates
03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Ya this was my guy as the back up plan all free agency. This guy would be a good pick up especially at end.

bigfish2112
03-10-2010, 08:50 PM
DE would be a great spot for him he played very well last year good size and pretty good speed.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
you guys are nuts..

He'd be a GREAT addition, and from what I have heard he's more than capable of playing the 3-4.

He's been the nearly very top of my FA list for quite some time, I would love this move.. Love it.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
he must want to get "paid in full", because I have spoken to a few writers who cover the Vikings-- and to a man they have all said that they didn't expect the Vikings to let him go.

That's why I've rarely mentioned him.

And he hasn't been linked to another team. . My thinking (emphasis on thinking) here is that he's been negotiating with the Vikes but they didn't come to terms.

I can't see how a single Bills fan wouldn't love this move. From what I"ve heard about Kennedy from knowledgeable people who cover the Vikes, and from what I"ve seen with my own eyes from the BIlls DL (not counting new OLB schobel), Kennedy would instantly become the best DL on this team.

psubills62
03-10-2010, 09:32 PM
he must want to get "paid in full", because I have spoken to a few writers who cover the Vikings-- and to a man they have all said that they didn't expect the Vikings to let him go.

And he hasn't been linked to another team. . My thinking (emphasis on thinking) here is that he's been negotiating with the Vikes but they didn't come to terms.

I can't see how a single Bills fan wouldn't love this move. From what I"ve heard about Kennedy from knowledgeable people who cover the Vikes, and from what I"ve seen with my own eyes from the BIlls DL (not counting new OLB schobel), Kennedy would instantly become the best DL on this team.

From what you've been saying, it almost sounds like he's going to use this visit as leverage with Minnesota. Hopefully we can convince him to sign here.

Ickybaluky
03-10-2010, 09:41 PM

Really? Best DL on the team?

The guy was a backup in Minnesota. He did play well for them, but he was on the field with a lot of other good players like Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, Ray Edwards and Jared Allen.

Remember, Minnesota picked him up off the street in December 2008. He got cut by Denver before the season even started in 2007. The guy has been with 5 teams.

I guess you can say he may be re-energized after doing a good job as a reserve with the Vikings, but best DL on the team? Your nuts.

Raptor
03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Hard to say if this would be a good or bad move because I mean you could bash the **** out of him all day for his play in a 4-3 defense in which he has been nothing but a complete and utter bust in minus a few tiny glimpses.

A 3-4 though you never know how he will respond since he has never been in one

WeAreArthurMoates
03-10-2010, 09:42 PM

I agree, this guy was my sleeper and would be a good get. I'd give him Justin Bannon money, don't let this guy walk.

The Spaz
03-10-2010, 09:43 PM

The guy was a backup in Minnesota. He did play well for them, but he was on the field with a lot of other good players like Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, Ray Edwards and Jared Allen.

Remember, Minnesota picked him up off the street after he got cut by Denver before the season even started. The guy has been with 5 teams.

I guess you can say he may be re-energized after doing a good job as a reserve with the Vikings, but best DL on the team? Your nuts.

On our team I would believe especially if Schobel goes to LB.

Raptor
03-10-2010, 09:43 PM

lolol...Yea, thats a bit of a stretch

clumping platelets
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Didn't he turn down the Bills last year or the year before?

Jeff1220
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
lolol...Yea, thats a bit of a stretch

I agree that statement was a stretch, and I also think Stroud is seriously undervalued/overlooked on this board.

Ickybaluky
03-10-2010, 09:58 PM
On our team I would believe especially if Schobel goes to LB.

Stroud?

The Spaz
03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Stroud?

You right I forgot about him for some reason. Ok He's 2nd best to Stroud...lol

OpIv37
03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Hard to say if this would be a good or bad move because I mean you could bash the **** out of him all day for his play in a 4-3 defense in which he has been nothing but a complete and utter bust in minus a few tiny glimpses.

A 3-4 though you never know how he will respond since he has never been in one

Yeah, because what we need is a 4-3 player who has no experience in the 3-4. I mean, it's not like we already have a TEAM full of guys like that or anything.

OpIv37
03-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I agree that statement was a stretch, and I also think Stroud is seriously undervalued/overlooked on this board.

I was a huge fan of Stroud, but his play has steadily declined over the last two seasons and his age is really starting to show. I hate to admit it, but the guy was absolutely useless last year.

He's also not a good fit for the 3-4. He'd be an OK end but is too small to be NT.

bigbub2352
03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
if i remember correctly they brought him in here in 2008 and he didnt want to sign here or something to that nature... he sucks

gonzo1105
03-10-2010, 10:26 PM
did everyone forget about Kyle Williams as our best D-lineman he was pretty good last year

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 10:56 PM

Remember, Minnesota picked him up off the street in December 2008. He got cut by Denver before the season even started in 2007. The guy has been with 5 teams.

I absolutely think he'd become the best DL on the Buffalo BIlls, not counting Schobel who is moving to OLB if he doesn't retire.

Kyle Williams may be a better defensive linemen if we stayed in a cover two, but not in a 3-4.. I still dont see his future here as he'll get swallowed up in the middle and he doesn't fit the DE position well either.

Of the three returning linemen, I actually think by season's end Marcus Stroud was the WORST.. He looked old, beat up and slow.. now he's expected to move to DE. Sorry, but I don't like the move.. He looked like a man who's best football was long behind him last year by the three quarter point of 2009.

Of these three, for a 3-4 I actually think Spencer Johnson is the current best DL on this football team. He most properly fits the defense and I think he'll start.

Kennedy isn't going to be the next Vince Wilfork, but for what this team needs I think he's about as good as it will get for the defense, and I've felt that way since before free agency, since it was obvious we never had a shot at Hampton, Pickett or Wilfork.

patmoran2006
03-10-2010, 10:59 PM
LOL.. can't win with some of you guys.

Im a hater and a pessimist when we do nothing or bring guys in that I consider bums like Cornell Green.

Then I finally (as a fan) get a reason to get excited because I've wanted Kennedy here for well over a month, I personally (IMO) think he's far better than most give credit for.

And now I'm delusional and a homer?

Jimmy Kennedy from all accounts I've heard, and they include some pretty knowledgeable Vikings guys and not just fans, is a good football player and would be a big asset to this team.

Believe what you want. I'll remain excited whether you are or not.. I want this guy.

gonzo1105
03-10-2010, 11:41 PM
LOL.. can't win with some of you guys.

Im a hater and a pessimist when we do nothing or bring guys in that I consider bums like Cornell Green.

Then I finally (as a fan) get a reason to get excited because I've wanted Kennedy here for well over a month, I personally (IMO) think he's far better than most give credit for.

And now I'm delusional and a homer?

Jimmy Kennedy from all accounts I've heard, and they include some pretty knowledgeable Vikings guys and not just fans, is a good football player and would be a big asset to this team.

Believe what you want. I'll remain excited whether you are or not.. I want this guy.

No one is calling you a homer but you get pissed off when average players go to other teams. I'd like Kennedy here for the right price but if your talking about 3 years 16 mill or so like Williams got then forget it. Antonio Bryant signed a 4 year 28 million dollar deal. Sure I would have like Bryant but not for 7 million dollars a year. I mean c'mon the Broncos signed Justin Bannan(who stunk here), Jarvis Green, and Jamal Williams for sizable contracts and i'm supposed to get mad because the bills didn't shell out almost 60 million dollars to those 3.

Bannan got 22 mill
Green 20 mill
Williams I believe got around 16 or so

so pardon me when I dont freak out when we dont sign average players for 5-7 million a year

PECKERWOOD
03-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Stroud is overrated and Williams doesn't fit the new scheme, he may actually be our best DL if signed, but that ain't saying much.

YardRat
03-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Pretty risky move, considering his history and lack of experience in the 34, especially if he is looking for a big pay day. If we're going to shell out bucks for defensive FA's I'd prefer they already have some time and success in the system.

Night Train
03-11-2010, 06:02 AM
The Bills plan on building through the Draft... but they still need transitional talent for now. Can't penalize Nix/Whaley/Gailey for the 10 years of prior failure.

If we can get the guy to fill in for a year or 2 while some draft pick develops, remind me again how this is a bad idea ??

That's probably the formula for multiple starting positions right now.

"Well he's not the long term answer..blah blah blah..."

Yeah, no *****t Sherlock...

X-Era
03-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Please sign the guy!

Id love to land him and help fill some of our major holes.

I think he can play NT, but even if he cant, hes still solid 3-4 DE depth.

Mahdi
03-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Yeah, because what we need is a 4-3 player who has no experience in the 3-4. I mean, it's not like we already have a TEAM full of guys like that or anything.
There are few 3-4 guys available on the market right now and college doesn't produce them.

Most 3-4 guys in the NFL were 4-3 guys at some point.

TigerJ
03-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Well, he's not a sure thing, as in a veteran nose tackle who has produced consistently over a solid career. As has been mentioned, he's got nose tackle measurables and pretty good athleticism. At a position where a lot of players are productive well into their 30s, he should have plenty left in the tank. Yes, he was a bust coming out of college, but after he's struggles early in his career, he would seem to be over the hype surrounding him coming out of college. All in all, he's got a chance to be a starter and may turn out to be pretty good. I would guess the Bills are thinking nose tackle all the way with him.

Mahdi
03-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Well, he's not a sure thing, as in a veteran nose tackle who has produced consistently over a solid career. As has been mentioned, he's got nose tackle measurables and pretty good athleticism. At a position where a lot of players are productive well into their 30s, he should have plenty left in the tank. Yes, he was a bust coming out of college, but after he's struggles early in his career, he would seem to be over the hype surrounding him coming out of college. All in all, he's got a chance to be a starter and may turn out to be pretty good. I would guess the Bills are thinking nose tackle all the way with him.
Not so sure. With his height he would be an ideal 5-technique.

k-oneputt
03-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Yes he should fit right in on this team: career, underachieving, Big-10 player from Penn St.

He may find is play a little different here w/o the Williams Wall and Allen playing around him. I guess as a backup he couldn't hurt but I'm really wouldn't expect much.

Dicknoze69
03-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Coming out of college, Kennedy's strengths were holding the point of attack with a good center of gravity. However, the vast majority of the teams he's played for ran a one-gap Tampa 2 system where defensive lineman penetrate gaps and he failed miserably there. It's sort of like forcing a square peg into a round hole, the systems weren't playing to his strengths.

Now Minnesota picked him up, and they run a variation of the Tampa 2 where the DTs play a lot more two gap and Kennedy has excelled as a backup to the Williams boys. His success in a two-gap system leads me to believe he could be an effective two gap NT for us. I also don't think he'll be super expensive since he's still on the market.

WeAreArthurMoates
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Coming out of college, Kennedy's strengths were holding the point of attack with a good center of gravity. However, the vast majority of the teams he's played for ran a one-gap Tampa 2 system where defensive lineman penetrate gaps and he failed miserably there. It's sort of like forcing a square peg into a round hole, the systems weren't playing to his strengths.

Now Minnesota picked him up, and they run a variation of the Tampa 2 where the DTs play a lot more two gap and Kennedy has excelled as a backup to the Williams boys. His success in a two-gap system leads me to believe he could be an effective two gap NT for us. I also don't think he'll be super expensive since he's still on the market.

The best thing about Kennedy is it allows us to draft a NT later. Either Joesph in the 3rd, or Jay Ross, Kade Watson, or Demarcus Granger in 5-7

ZAZusmc03
03-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Thats good to hear. Sounds like he would be back to his comfort spot and filling a huge need for us at the same time.

Ed
03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I would love this move. Kennedy has been at the top of my list too, but I pretty much gave up on the idea of him coming here. I really hope we get this done.

As for Stroud, I was pretty down on him last year, but I remember reading at the end of the year that he pretty much played the entire season banged up and hurt. He seems to be a big fan of our new DC Edwards also, so if he can get healthy and is excited to play, I don't see why he wouldn't be a great fit at DE in a 3-4.