X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

The #3 pick in the draft

I have posted this before in another thread but I heard again this morning on 620 WDAE Tampa that the Bucs would be happy to give the #3 pick away for next to nothing due to money concerns of the Glazer family that own the Bucs. If the Bills could move up there for their #1 & a 4th or 5th should they go for it?
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: The #3 pick in the draft

You mean any of the top 3 picks can be had. Just like every year. Nobody wants them this year either, too expensive. Bills would be very stupid to trade up.

Comment

• wmoz11
      • Sep 2008

Depends who is there at the time. If Okung is there, yes.

I doubt it would be that easy to move up, regardless of how much they don't want to be there.
      Last edited by wmoz11; 03-11-2010, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Demon
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by better days
        I have posted this before in another thread but I heard again this morning on 620 WDAE Tampa that the Bucs would be happy to give the #3 pick away for next to nothing due to money concerns of the Glazer family that own the Bucs. If the Bills could move up there for their #1 & a 4th or 5th should they go for it?

I would think that the demanding price would be larger then just adding a 4th or 5th rounder on top of our 1st to move up to the 3rd slot.
        Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

For that price? Sure. Especially if the Rams take Bradford.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Ed
            Dude
            • Sep 2002

If moving up to #3 only cost us a 4th or 5th, I would be all for it. I'd be happy with Bradford, Suh, McCoy or Okung.

Comment

• utmhead
              • Oct 2005

It would take you at least a 2nd round, 4th and 5th or a 2nd next year. According to the draft value chart

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Demon
                [/b]I would think that the demanding price would be larger then just adding a 4th or 5th rounder on top of our 1st to move up to the 3rd slot.
                The Glazers are really having financial difficulty because they paid a LOT of money to buy Manchester United just before the economy collapsed. Ian Beckles the host & former OT for the Bucs & Eagles speculated this morning that the Bucs would be happy with the #20 pick & a 6th rnd pick for the 3rd.

Comment

• Ed
                  Dude
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by utmhead
                  It would take you at least a 2nd round, 4th and 5th or a 2nd next year. According to the draft value chart
                  But the draft value chart doesn't come into play if the Bucs are worried about money and desperately want to move back. That's the point of this thread. If you can move up at a major discount, do you do it?

Comment

• Ed
                    Dude
                    • Sep 2002

The Glazers are really having financial difficulty because they paid a LOT of money to buy Manchester United just before the economy collapsed. Ian Beckles the host & former OT for the Bucs & Eagles speculated this morning that the Bucs would be happy with the #20 pick & a 6th rnd pick for the 3rd.
                    So maybe they wouldn't even want the #9 pick as they'd still be looking at what, $15-20 million in guaranteed money?

Comment

• psubills62
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2008

The 9th pick is worth more than that. So maybe we could do a fair trade - #9 for #3?

Honestly, though, they are looking to upgrade their safety position. Why not just trade #9 and Whitner to them?

If you're correct and all it would take would be a combination of trading first rounders and a late-round pick, I'd be all for it. Assuming the Rams go with Bradford, if the Lions pick Suh, then we'll take Okung. If the Lions pick Okung, we'll go with Suh.

It's an interesting possibility that you bring up, but I just don't see it happening. If that is actually the case, then a ton of teams will start bidding on it and drive the price up significantly anyway.
                      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Ed
                        So maybe they wouldn't even want the #9 pick as they'd still be looking at what, $15-20 million in guaranteed money?
                        That's why we trade back, then trade up to #3

In all seriousness, you're probably right. If they are that desperate to get out of paying money, they won't want our pick, as it will still be too expensive.
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by psubills62
                          That's why we trade back, then trade up to #3

In all seriousness, you're probably right. If they are that desperate to get out of paying money, they won't want our pick, as it will still be too expensive.
                          I really don't know about the amount myself but I would think the #3 pick is much more expensive than #9. If they go down too much the Bucs fans will SCREAM about it.

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

I really don't know about the amount myself but I would think the #3 pick is much more expensive than #9. If they go down too much the Bucs fans will SCREAM about it.
                            The early teens would probably be the best value for the money. Not sure how accurate "mac's football blog" is, but here's a list:

#3: 31 million guaranteed
                            #9: 17.7 million guaranteed

Between picks 11 and 14, the guaranteed money decreases by about 1 million each time. After pick 14, the guaranteed portion decreases by about 0.5 million per pick. So I'd say pick 14 would be their best bet to get decent value, but not have to pay outrageous prices.
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• TigerJ
                              • Jul 2002

It's generally easier to move to than down from a higher spot in the top half of the first round. If the Bills can do it cheaply, they should consider it, but the same concerns would face the Bills. Can they afford the salary of the guy they pick there? There is a great likelihood of having to overpay.
                              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X