X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

Conspiracy Theory

Here is an out there Conspiracy theory, but first let me tell yo a few facts. If you are drafted high in the first round, you will get a big contract with even bigger incentives and bonuses. If you are a second rounder you do not get those Bonuses and incentives. Here is an example, before the Cards extended Larry Fitzgerald he was due to make something like 16mil in the final year of his rookie contract, so they renegotiated a deal worth 10mil/yr for four years! On the other hand, after a few very good years, Boldin's rookie contract was so low, -being a second rounder with no bonuses- that had an extension done just so he could get some extra cash. At the time it was a good idea, but after a few more years in the NFL, his deal extension was low compared to his value.

Now here comes the Bills part. Do you think that it ever goes through Ralph's head to pick players with 'potential' oppose to players who are ready now? It seems that we are always reaching with our first round picks. In the past few years, none of them have hit those bonuses and escalators like Larry Fitzgerald hit. This applies to the Dick Jouran hire regime. When he was hired, I felt like this was the worst direction the Bills could go in. Regardless, now I feel that after Donohue, RW became more concerned about money than winning.

Here are the picks after Donohue Left:
    2006:
    Donte Whitner: Big Time Reach, no-body had him this high, time shows that this was a reach!
    John McCargo: Another Big Time Reach, No-body had him going in the first round! some had him as a 3rd rounder. Bust.
    Marshawn Lynch: Consider 2nd RB by Many. Others said he is an average back in a weak RB Class. They were right.
    Leodis McKelvin: No Surprise here, many had him as 1st CB. He has failed to even get on the Football field consitantly.
    Aaron Maybin: with Orakpo on the Board and Oher, this one came out of left field for a one year wonder who was way to small to play DE in the NFL. Led to horrible rokie season.
    Eric Wood: some had him as best C in the draft others had him as a 2nd rounder. Played ok, got hurt.

You think that there is any chance at all that OBD prefers players like Maybin with 'potential; meaning they will not be cashing in any bonus checks vs players like Orakpo, who are ready now, and end up cashing every insentive in their checks.

BTW Orakpo had 12 sacks (thats more sacks that Maybin had tackles).
    Please Make Sense
  • Beebe's Kid
    • Nov 2009

Re: Conspiracy Theory

No, seriously...you may be on to something!! Good job!!!

Ralph Wilson was the second shooter on the grassy knoll, and he is Elvis. He also took the pictures when they faked landing on the moon. This was all before he masterminded the 9/11 attacks...and he would have gotten away with it, too, if you hadn't come meddling!!
    Last edited by Beebe's Kid; 03-11-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Honestly, I dont thnk Ralph is that smart anyway.

Just a case of really poor drafting and talent evaluation.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        Honestly, I dont thnk Ralph is that smart anyway.

Just a case of really poor drafting and talent evaluation.
        I'm usually willing to entertain conspiracy theories. But I agree with this, it's more likely that Ralph is just cheap and senile.
        Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• feldspar
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RoscoeMagic
          I'm usually willing to entertain conspiracy theories. But I agree with this, it's more likely that Ralph is just cheap and senile.
          Picking this player over that one in the first round has nothing to do with being cheap. If you pick a player at #11 overall, you pay him #11 money. If you pick one at #9, you pay him #9 money...and so forth and and so on.

Ever since Polian was fired for some unknown reason, the Bills problems have been the same. We've hired the wrong GM (or whatever patchwork equivalent to that the Bills had), who in turn hired the wrong coach...then these guys hire other guys and they all draft (or pick up in free agency) the wrong players, etc. It all starts on top, so blame Ralph for everything if you want, but "being cheap" is not the problem. The Bills had the 12th highest player payroll in the NFL last year according to USA Today.

Whether Ralph is senile is anybody's guess. He knew enough not to sign the last CBA agreement, along with one other owner. The fact that the other 30 owners were on board with it can come back to hurt us all next year...

Comment

• alohabillsfan
            • Sep 2003

[QUOTE=patmoran2006]Honestly, I dont thnk Ralph is that smart anyway.

Wilson grew up in Detroit, Michigan, graduated from the University of Virginia and attended the University of Michigan Law School. At the University of Virginia he joined the Phi Delta Theta fraternity. He is a World War II veteran. After the war ended, he took over the successful insurance business of his father and invested in Michigan area mines and factories. He eventually purchased several manufacturing outlets, construction firms, and radio stations, and founded Ralph Wilson Industries.

A minority owner of the Detroit Lions, Wilson got wind of Lamar Hunt's plans for a new league, the American Football League, to challenge the NFL. He tried to put together a team in Miami, but was turned down. His next choice was Buffalo. In September 1959, Wilson sent Hunt a telegram with the words, "Count me in with Buffalo." He named his new team the Bills, after a previous team that had played in the All-America Football Conference from 1946 to 1949. On October 28, the Buffalo Bills officially became the seventh in 1964 and 1965. Wilson made Professional Football a resounding success in a "small market," signing such stars as Cookie Gilchrist, Jack Kemp, and Tom Sestak and Hall of Famer Billy Shaw.

He was a guiding force in AFL policies that ensured success, such as gate and television revenue sharing; in 1961, with the rival Oakland Raiders in financial difficulty, Wilson loaned the club $400,000 and also would be willing to loan money to Billy Sullivan of the Patriots. Wilson helped keep those franchises afloat, likely saving the entire league from folding. In November 1963, Wilson lobbied successfully to have American Football League games postponed the Sunday after President John F. Kennedy's assassination, while NFL games went on uninterrupted.

After the original naming rights deal on the Bills' current stadium expired in 1998, the facility's name was changed from Rich Stadium to Ralph Wilson Stadium. According to a recent article on msn.com, Wilson, described as "stubborn" has turned down numerous naming rights deals for the stadium [1]

Wilson continues to be one of the league's most outspoken owners. He was one of only two owners (the Cincinnati Bengals' Mike Brown being the other) to oppose the league's current collective bargaining agreement. He also negotiated a deal to have his team play home games in Toronto beginning in 2008, after railing against the Western New York economy.

Yep, he is not nearly as smart as many of us! Senile, maybe, dumb no way.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
              • May 2003

I got about half way through that, got confused...

Comment

• Zero
                Primary Objective: Buffalo Bills- Super Bowl Champs
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by RoscoeMagic

According to the principle Ockham's Razor:

"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations."

So yeah, I agree. Its more likely that Ol' Ralphy is just cheap and senile

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by jmtejada
                  According to the principle Ockham's Razor:

"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations."

So yeah, I agree. Its more likely that Ol' Ralphy is just cheap and senile
                  I can't detect sarcasm
                  Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• Griff
                    • Jul 2008

... find a new tune people

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

Oher would be looking sweet on the OL right now.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                      X