PDA

View Full Version : Bills to give "strong consideration" to drafting Trent Williams at 9

psubills62
03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/03/draft-watch-trent-williams.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+typepad/buffalonews/billboard+%28BillBoard%29

Beat writer Mark Gaughan expects the Bills to give "strong consideration" to drafting Oklahoma OT Trent Williams with the No. 9 pick.

Iowa's Bryan Bulaga and Rutgers' Anthony Davis will also be on Buffalo's radar, but Williams might be the safest pick as a "low floor" prospect with the ability to play both tackle spots. Williams has also had a terrific offseason.

Quote is from rotoworld.com

JCBills
03-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Err, alright? I don't want to speculate on speculation.

X-Era
03-12-2010, 02:50 PM
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2010/03/draft-watch-trent-williams.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+typepad/buffalonews/billboard+%28BillBoard%29

Quote is from rotoworld.com

I think his stock rose from his combine results, and he may have answered more minds that he can play LT.

Mahdi
03-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Honestly, I think a lot has been made about Trent Williams having a poor senior year.

Mike Mayock had a whole segment on him on Path to the Draft and was saying how Trent Williams had an excellent senior year at LT. Never once mentioned a drop off in play from junior to senior.

Mayock also thinks Trent Williams goes top 10 as well as Bulaga.

Scumbag College
03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
The Bills need to use at least one of their first two picks on Offensive Tackle. I don't want another "project" in Buffalo, I want a player that can be an instant upgrade and start from Day 1 with the ninth pick. If Williams fits both those bills at #9 than pick him.

NOT THE DUDE...
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
i like trent williams and would be happy with him but we must pick up a 2 gap nt in either round 1 or round 2 with cody or thomas...

X-Era
03-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Honestly, I think a lot has been made about Trent Williams having a poor senior year.

Mike Mayock had a whole segment on him on Path to the Draft and was saying how Trent Williams had an excellent senior year at LT. Never once mentioned a drop off in play from junior to senior.

What I like about him is his nastiness at times. I think he needs technique work, like they all do, but is more polished than Davis or Campbell. Bulaga is very polished and is probably best in the group that way, but next would be either Okung or Williams IMO.

Goobylal
03-12-2010, 03:05 PM
i like trent williams and would be happy with him but we must pick up a 2 gap nt in either round 1 or round 2 with cody or thomas...
I think LT with the 9th overall will have to be the way they have to go. Most, if not all, of the best LT prospects will be gone by their 2nd round pick. As for NT, they could get Cam Thomas in the 2nd or Linval Joseph in the 3rd.

BillsMan80
03-12-2010, 03:07 PM
And the beat goes on if this happens as has for the last 10 years of reaching for marginal talent to fill needs...

NOT THE DUDE...
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I think LT with the 9th overall will have to be the way they have to go. Most, if not all, of the best LT prospects will be gone by their 2nd round pick. As for NT, they could get Cam Thomas in the 2nd or Linval Joseph in the 3rd.

thats a good point. and if we are going with trent edwards and a run based offense, we need to give edwards as much protection as possible so he can relax...

NOT THE DUDE...
03-12-2010, 03:08 PM
who is the better player? t williams or d williams?

BillsMan80
03-12-2010, 03:09 PM
The only LT in this draft with the production, potential, and overall combination of everything worthy of the 9th pick in this draft is Okung...anyone else and we are severly emphasizing need over value.

X-Era
03-12-2010, 03:10 PM
who is the better player? t williams or d williams?

IMO, I would go with Dan. I don't think either is worth the 9 pick, but either could in fact be taken because of our needs.

Luisito23
03-12-2010, 03:11 PM
And the beat goes on if this happens as has for the last 10 years of reaching for marginal talent to fill needs...

Exactly...I would really be mad if this guy is our 1st. pick. :censored:

NOT THE DUDE...
03-12-2010, 03:12 PM
if we go big in this draft which i think they will be doing. i see us going

t williams
t cody
cj wilson

with our first 3 picks....

BillsMan80
03-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I'd rather have Spiller than Dan Williams, Trent Williams, etc...at least it would represent some value and taking an elite player in a spot where you need to take elite players compared to reaching for a player to fill a need.

trapezeus
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
let's hope "strong consideration" yields better results than the "quiet and patient" approach.

Somehow, i suspect both will be total letdowns.

tampabay25690
03-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I think this may happen..............BUT.....If Jimmy Clausen is there at #9 the Bills will draft him instead and worry about LT in later rounds..

bigbub2352
03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
i like this move...then go DT like MT COdy in rd 2.... and Pike or Lavafour rd 3 or Skeleton Rd 4 or 5

TigerJ
03-12-2010, 03:35 PM

I think that perhaps Trent Williams struggled a bit at left tackle as compared wiith his experience at right tackle, but that would seem to be natural for anyone switching sides. I think even when he struggled, he was better than most college left tackles, and got better during the year.

ddaryl
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
The guy is a highly rated T prospect. I fail to see why a few of ya's are against drafting one of the top T's at #9

I don't think we could trade back and land any of the top LT's cause they will be snatched up quickly..That is unless your Ok with reaching for the 4th or 5th rated T in the 1st rd...

JCBills
03-12-2010, 03:47 PM
if we go big in this draft which i think they will be doing. i see us going

t williams
t cody
cj wilson

with our first 3 picks....

Wilson could be there in the 4th, but if we took him in the 3rd I'd still be pumped.

DraftBoy
03-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I have no doubt that he is going to be a consideration. However Mark Gaughan is saying two different things. I believe he meant that Williams is a "high floor" prospect not "low floor" which implies that he is more of a risk.

Saratoga Slim
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I have no doubt that he is going to be a consideration. However Mark Gaughan is saying two different things. I believe he meant that Williams is a "high floor" prospect not "low floor" which implies that he is more of a risk.

I think you're right - the "low floor" threw me for a loop. Floor implies "the worst he could become" while ceiling implies "the best he could become."

Thus, a low floor, high ceiling is another way of saying boom or bust.

I think what Gaughan is saying is that Trent Williams may not have a huge ceiling, but at least he has a high floor. I.e. he's probably not a superstar, but he's unlikely to bust.

Night Train
03-12-2010, 07:55 PM
It's far easier to find a NT in Rounds 2-4 than a starting LT.

Trent Williams would be a solid pick at #9.

SABURZFAN
03-13-2010, 02:56 AM
The only LT in this draft with the production, potential, and overall combination of everything worthy of the 9th pick in this draft is Okung...anyone else and we are severly emphasizing need over value.

who do you have in mind? are they going to be starting on Day 1?

SABURZFAN
03-13-2010, 03:03 AM
The guy is a highly rated T prospect. I fail to see why a few of ya's are against drafting one of the top T's at #9

I don't think we could trade back and land any of the top LT's cause they will be snatched up quickly..That is unless your Ok with reaching for the 4th or 5th rated T in the 1st rd...

there are other team needs. they don't have to reach for a T if they have somebody in mind later in the draft. i think they should trade back if they can. an extra 2nd or 3rd would be nice in this draft.

TedMock
03-13-2010, 07:02 AM

I think Charles Brown out of USC can fall into the 2nd and I think he's very underrated. If we land a Derek Morgan or Sergio Kindle in round one, for example, I would be thrilled with Brown in round 2.

X-Era
03-13-2010, 08:02 AM
I think Charles Brown out of USC can fall into the 2nd and I think he's very underrated. If we land a Derek Morgan or Sergio Kindle in round one, for example, I would be thrilled with Brown in round 2.

Exactly, this year more than many others, we have so many needs and could go many routes. The depth in this draft is very good, no need to be locked into a position at 9.

better days
03-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I heard Kiper the other day say Bulaga projects more as a RT & may not be able to play LT all that well. He thinks Trent Williams is a better LT prospect........for what it is worth.

Goobylal
03-13-2010, 09:37 AM
What I like about Trent Williams is that he switched from RT to LT for his senior season, and still played well. It also tells me he's still learning that position and should only get better.

What I also liked is that his Combine numbers were SICK! Everyone was talking about what a freak Bruce Campbell is, but Williams bested him in every drill except bench (23 isn't great but is good enough for LT, and he should only get stronger) and forty time, and there Williams was just 0.03 seconds slower, which is negligible at best (and while 40-time is meaningless for an OL, it speaks to his athleticism). Only Jared Velheer approached those 2 in numbers, but faced far weaker competition and is much more of a project.

Night Train
03-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I heard Kiper the other day say Bulaga projects more as a RT & may not be able to play LT all that well. He thinks Trent Williams is a better LT prospect........for what it is worth.

Kipers latest mock has us picking Trent Williams.

better days
03-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Kipers latest mock has us picking Trent Williams.

Sporting News has the Bills picking Trent Williams at #9 as well. They have Bugala at #23 & Clausen at #26.

baalworship
03-13-2010, 04:57 PM
This team needs star players, not more need picks in the first round.