PDA

View Full Version : 10 years of suffering...

buffalobillsfan95
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
what do you think the bills biggest mistake of the first decade of the 2000's era?
in my opinion i think Dickey screwed us into several more years without a playoff birth :hang:

pashi911
03-12-2010, 08:21 PM
A better question would probably point to the opposite. What did we do right in the last 10 years????

Bufftp
03-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Well we really didn't do it, but the best thing of this decade is it ended.

Philagape
03-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Making Marv Levy the GM. That led to hiring Dick and depriving the team of an actual GM for four years.

T-Long
03-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Gotta agree, it was the hiring of Marv. He brought in Dick and also was responsible for a lot of the misses in FA and the draft. It hurts to say it, but I think that hurt us the most.

I give a close second to Week 17 loss to the Steelers backups and miss the playoffs.

bigbub2352
03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Tom Dohoue
Mike Mularkey
Greg Williams
Skeletor (Dick Jaroun)
all the assistant coachs except April
Ron Guy
Marv Levy
Tom Modrak
Jim Overdorff
Russ Brandon
Letting Rusty Jones leave

Draft Picks:
Flowers
Whitner
McCargo
McGahee
Lynch
Losman
Williams
McKelvin (should have drafted in the trenchs obviously he is super smart can get a CB anywhere in the draft he is far from elite missed on DRC bad)
Maybin (didnt fit the scheme we played at the time)
Parrish
Everett
Josh Reed
Ryan Denney
Chris Kelsay
Tim Anderson
Ashton Youboty
Trent Edwards
Coy Wire
all hi draft picks that contributed nothing but losing for 10 yrs
feel free to add to the list there are more...

Free Agents
Derrick Dockery
Langston Walker
Larry Tripplett
Bennie Anderson
Tutan Reyes
Matt Bowen
Robert Royal
Jeff Posey
Kelly Holocomb
trading for Mark Campbell
Melvin Fowler
Chris Villereal
damion Shelton
corey mcyntire
darian barnes
eddie robinson
tre teague
matt bowen
jason gildon
domenic rhodes
will james
jemetrius butler
lawyer milloy
joe panos
chidi ahonatu

trading a 1st for Bledsoe...looked good on paper but failed miserably
trading a 1st and a 3rd picks for Rob Johnson
trading a bunch of picks to trade up for JP losmantrading a franchise LT in Jason Peters with no one on the roster to replace him

Letting Free Agents like Pat Williams, Ted Washington, Antione Winfeild, Nate Clements, Ruben Brown, Jay Reimersma, Jabari Greer, etc walk.

Cutting TKO and Sam Cowart with no LBers at the time to fill there shoes same can be said for Angelo Crowell, obviously injuries made them not the players the once were.. my point is we didnt draft or bring in depth to replace them..

Singing TO to sell tickets with no QB to throw to him

Mismanagement of Depth and Practice Squad Players for at least the last 5 years. Developing no talent what so ever

Doing everything on the cheap, signing other teams backups and bums to be starters here cause it cost us less... repeat same sentence for coaching staffs and front office

Number 1 reason is staying status Quo in the Front Office

feel free to add to the list or argue it.. but no playoffs in 10 years means all moves didnt workout one way or another

Beebe's Kid
03-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Oh this is a refreshing change of pace!! A thread based on hindsight, full of disdain and regret!!!

Awesome!!

Let's see...everything!! Yeahh!!

This dead horse is easy to beat up!!!

BertSquirtgum
03-12-2010, 09:20 PM
this thread sucks.

Philagape
03-12-2010, 09:25 PM
On the contrary, it's quite a challenge to choose the No. 1 fiasco in a decade full of disaster. Good exercise.

TacklingDummy
03-12-2010, 11:10 PM
Trading for Rob Johnson.

Having Robosack start the playoff game.

jamze132
03-13-2010, 01:14 AM
No one mentions Ralph Wilson? :idunno:

And I blame the entire decade on Chris Watson.

G Wolly
03-13-2010, 01:42 AM
No one mentions Ralph Wilson?

He's the underlying reason to every problem this team has.

SABURZFAN
03-13-2010, 01:58 AM
what do you think the bills biggest mistake of the first decade of the 2000's era?
in my opinion i think Dickey screwed us into several more years without a playoff birth :hang:

BIGGEST mistake the Bills made was not coming into Billszone.com and listening to the Realists. :chug:

Night Train
03-13-2010, 06:32 AM
Wilson becoming even more obstinate as he aged.

Thus the trickle down effect through the entire organization.

Dozerdog
03-13-2010, 06:34 AM
The biggest mistake this decade was firing Bill Polian in 1993

All other calamities were spun off of that dumb move. Probably the dumbest move of the entire franchise history

Night Train
03-13-2010, 06:35 AM
The biggest mistake this decade was firing Bill Polian in 1993

What do you take in your expresso ? Cream or sugar ?

Dozerdog
03-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Every issue this decade was a result of that firing.

Bad GMs, bad coaches, bad talent.

SquishDaFish
03-13-2010, 06:53 AM
I agree with Dozer and to add to that would be starting Rob "surfer" Johnson over Flutie.

And I think trading for Drew Bledsoe wasnt a mistake at all but not protecting him was the mistake.

Night Train
03-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Every issue this decade was a result of that firing.

Bad GMs, bad coaches, bad talent.

:rofl: I was just kidding.

Wilson is consistent. He hired Dick Gallagher away from Cleveland in the early 60's and the team became a powerhouse. Then Wilson meddled, refused to give good players small raises and wanted to pick his own players on draft day. Gallagher left and the Bills are in 1 playoff game over the next 12 years.

Chuck Knox takes over a 2 win team in 1978 as Coach/GM and has the team winning the division in 3 years with solid FA signings, trades and top shelf drafts. Then Ralph decides he's not going to pay Vets Knox needs as starters and Knox bolts for Seattle after 5 years.

Polian builds probably our greatest team ever but Ralph decides his daughter Linda is a scout and sticks her in the Draft room. She tries to pull rank on Polian during the 1993 draft and Polian kicks her out of the draft room. That and Polians reaction to a stupid question by Art Wander gives Wilson a reason to fire someone who stands up to him.

During the TD era, he'd call down to the field during games to complain, especially while Mularkey was coach. Can't blame him there but there's a time and a place for that.

Wilson has undercut this team time and time again and is every bit the loon we percieve Al Davis to be. Stubborn and without any football sense of the current game. (outside of the bottom line $$ ). The Bills try to win in spite of him and nothing will change until his death.

DynaPaul
03-13-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't think there is any ONE thing. It's been a string of horrible decisions that did the Bills in. ONE thing we could recover from, many things... no.

xXSpIkes5IXx
03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
In my opinion the biggest mistake of the decade was cutting Drew Bledsoe at the end of the 2004 season, and giving the job to JP Losman.

This team was on the brink of the playoffs, and it all came crashing down with that move.

G Wolly
03-13-2010, 03:22 PM
In my opinion the biggest mistake of the decade was cutting Drew Bledsoe at the end of the 2004 season, and giving the job to JP Losman.

Bledsoe didn't do much better after he left here so it was probably for the best anyway.

BertSquirtgum
03-13-2010, 03:32 PM
bledsoe was still the best qb we've had in the backfield since flutie. i only wish he would have had some time to throw the ball once in awhile.

jamze132
03-13-2010, 04:23 PM
I still blame Chris Watson.