PDA

View Full Version : Do You Trust The QB's We Have?

better days
03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Just asking. I have seen threads about the O-Line, Running Backs, Receivers, Coaches. People that think it starts with the O-Line are just wrong. In TODAYS NFL it starts with the QB. An Elite QB can make an average to poor O-Line & Receivers look much better than they really are.

TrEd FTW
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
No, but I also don't see a way for the Bills to upgrade before next season. They need to fill the other holes at the draft and then, if none of their present QBs step up in 2010, find one next offseason.

sven233
03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, the easy answer is no. I don't really care for the QBs on the roster (not exactly positive on Brohm yet as we really haven't seen enough to know one way or the other).

With that being said, I wouldn't even look at any of the QBs in this draft (until maybe the later rounds....if at all). This team has a lot of holes on it and we can't fix them all in 1 year. If it's me, I am taking big people with the first 3-4 pick of the draft. I am going LT at #9 and then either the best RT or Nose Tackle in the second round. From there, I am picking whichever one I didn't get in the second round in the 3rd round. I'm gonna get me some dominant big men so I can start winning the battles in the trenches. You give me a dominant O-Line and a dominant Front 7 and I am going to win some games with whatever QB is back there. Then, next year, I get my franchise QB at any cost. Next year's QB class will be stronger than this year's. I am gonna fill in other holes this year and then pick my guy and go get him next year. I think this is the best way to attack it. Yeah, it is a 2 year process, but I think you have to do it this way to have long term success.

Night Train
03-15-2010, 05:31 AM
No

I'd like to see Brohm get his chance but Fitz is a backup who is paid too much and Edwards should be cut.

I'd like to see 2 new QB's here by camp.

don137
03-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Very easy no. None of the three have proved they can be a reliable starter in the NFL and 2 of the 3 proved they are not good enough to be a starter.

OpIv37
03-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Just asking. I have seen threads about the O-Line, Running Backs, Receivers, Coaches. People that think it starts with the O-Line are just wrong. In TODAYS NFL it starts with the QB. An Elite QB can make an average to poor O-Line & Receivers look much better than they really are.

you are 100% wrong.

No QB could ever be elite behind this OL. There is no point in wasting any resources on a QB until we protect him, particularly a rookie or a young guy. They'll just end up shellshocked like Losman and Edwards.

Think of all the QB's that we've had in since Jim Kelly. Is it really possible for ALL of them to be that bad, or is their something else going on? Hell, although Bledsoe didn't get the wins, he put up HOF numbers in NE before coming here. He managed half a season at that level before falling apart.

QB's can't do it themselves. They need coaching and protection.

EDS
03-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't trust anything concerning the Bills organization right now. I am still looking forward to the season though.

Yasgur's Farm
03-15-2010, 08:29 AM
I'd like to see Brohm get his shot.
I wouldn't mind seeing Fitz as back-up.
I don't ever wanna see Edwards driving garbage around this vacinity again.
Draft LeFevour, Pike, Snead, Kafka, Robinson or Skelton to sit a couple years.

Dujek
03-15-2010, 08:38 AM
No, not at all.

Brohm's unproven, Fitz is an adequate backup, and Edwards has had all the ability and belief knocked out of him.

However the Bills still need to fix the lines before they even think about looking at a new QB. No-one can play well with defensive players hitting them every second play.

trapezeus
03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
depends on what i'm suppose to trust him with. if i'm trusting our QB's with the ball and a chance to win, probably not. if i am trusting that they know the taste of all 32 NFL's stadiums turf and grass, then i do trust their palate and the sheer repetition that they've been put into the ground the last year.

Mahdi
03-15-2010, 11:45 AM
you are 100% wrong.

No QB could ever be elite behind this OL. There is no point in wasting any resources on a QB until we protect him, particularly a rookie or a young guy. They'll just end up shellshocked like Losman and Edwards.

Think of all the QB's that we've had in since Jim Kelly. Is it really possible for ALL of them to be that bad, or is their something else going on? Hell, although Bledsoe didn't get the wins, he put up HOF numbers in NE before coming here. He managed half a season at that level before falling apart.

QB's can't do it themselves. They need coaching and protection.
I'll give you a few examples of QBs who have flourished despite their OL. Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers.

Warner's blind side was protected by Mike Gandy, Peyton had a converted guard in Charlie Johnson, Rodgers was one of the most sacked QBs all year and Favre had two OTs who struggled in pass pro as well as a C who was second rate.

We are only missing a LT to make this line acceptable so if a QB is out there to be had or if one falls to us in the draft like Bradford (not going to happen) then we have to take them.

I would not be upset with Tebow or McCoy in the second round either or Snead and Zac Robinson in the 3rd.

justasportsfan
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
an awesome OL can make a qb look decent. For the most part a qb can't do anything when they are on the ground. As good as Brady was/is, he couldn't do anything when the Giants harrassed him all day in the sb.

to answer your question, if we had Dick as the coach, I wouldn't trust any qb. Since we're switching to an offensive HC , I don't know what our qb's can do yet with someone who knows how to coach offensively.

OpIv37
03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
I'll give you a few examples of QBs who have flourished despite their OL. Kurt Warner, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers.

Warner's blind side was protected by Mike Gandy, Peyton had a converted guard in Charlie Johnson, Rodgers was one of the most sacked QBs all year and Favre had two OTs who struggled in pass pro as well as a C who was second rate.

We are only missing a LT to make this line acceptable so if a QB is out there to be had or if one falls to us in the draft like Bradford (not going to happen) then we have to take them.

I would not be upset with Tebow or McCoy in the second round either or Snead and Zac Robinson in the 3rd.

You are nuts. Cornell Green is a Raiders reject. Hangartner is average at best. This entire board overrates Wood and Levitre- they were ok, but they weren't anything special, and now Wood is coming off an injury. And they have zero depth. This line is a LOT more than a LT from being acceptable. At a minimum, we need LT, C and depth.

Beebe's Kid
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
You are nuts. Cornell Green is a Raiders reject. Hangartner is average at best. This entire board overrates Wood and Levitre- they were ok, but they weren't anything special, and now Wood is coming off an injury. And they have zero depth. This line is a LOT more than a LT from being acceptable. At a minimum, we need LT, C and depth.

I agree that Wood and Levitre are probably looked at a little favorably on the board, but you have to admit that Levitre looked good. He imporved as the year went on, and I think he will be a star.

Wood was on his way...he was improving. I say Incognito played better than Wood, based on the small sample size we have of RI.

Hangartner is a ****ing bum. I would have loved to see Wood go back to C, and have Incognito at RG. I think calling Hangartner average is too kind.

Mahdi
03-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Hangartner had an excellent season. His ability to block on the move is impressive and he was more than capable of blocking the big NTs in our division. He is a smart player and will only get better as the line improves. I see Hangartner as a young Matt Birk.

As for Wood and Levitre, yeah, a lot of folk do overrate those two, I think they played good at times and very bad at times but I think that has more to do with them being rookies and playing year one than a lack of talent.

Wood is coming off a broken leg so I don't think that will set him back too much. It's not a knee re-build or anything like that.

Green to me is exactly what Nix wants, a mauler who plays mean and finishes blocks, he is not a finesse pass blocker but he is not a liability either.

You rate this OL as weak but you have to realize what this OL is being built for, pounding the football all day, everyday, and I think we have 4 out of the 5 pieces required to do that.

A run-blocking LT next to Levitre would complete the equation for me. I do agree that we need depth, Meredith and Bell are a good start, but we need backups for the interior.

EDS
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM

It is a shame the Bills don't have a LT as good as Mike Gandy.

Yasgur's Farm
03-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Hangartner had an excellent season. His ability to block on the move is impressive and he was more than capable of blocking the big NTs in our division. He is a smart player and will only get better as the line improves. I see Hangartner as a young Matt Birk.

As for Wood and Levitre, yeah, a lot of folk do overrate those two, I think they played good at times and very bad at times but I think that has more to do with them being rookies and playing year one than a lack of talent.

Wood is coming off a broken leg so I don't think that will set him back too much. It's not a knee re-build or anything like that.

Green to me is exactly what Nix wants, a mauler who plays mean and finishes blocks, he is not a finesse pass blocker but he is not a liability either.

You rate this OL as weak but you have to realize what this OL is being built for, pounding the football all day, everyday, and I think we have 4 out of the 5 pieces required to do that.

A run-blocking LT next to Levitre would complete the equation for me. I do agree that we need depth, Meredith and Bell are a good start, but we need backups for the interior.Thank you... That's right on.

It seems that anybody who wants to make a point exagerates supporting facts and minimizes inconvenient truthes.

Bottom line... Bills will carry 8...
Tackles - Bell, Green, Meredith & newcomer
Interior - Levitre, Hangartner, Wood
To be determined - (1) Possible strating tackle & (1) interior depth guy.

That's no where near as bad as some would suggest.

better days
03-15-2010, 01:08 PM

You are the one that is nuts. You did not refute his argument at all when he pointed out GOOD QB's behind bad lines, you just reiterated your thoughts on the Bills O-Line.

justasportsfan
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
It is true good qb's can make OL look better than they are , and crappy qb's can make OL look worse than they are. Most of the time though, OL have more of an impact on a qb than the other way around.

But based on where we are, we need an OL that can protect unproven, undevloped Qb's or you'll end their career before it even starts. We've done that with the last 2 qb's on this team.

psubills62
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
To me, the main problem is how many elite QB's are actually out there? Peyton Manning, Drew Brees...who else?

Favre could be considered to be playing at an elite level, though we'll see if he does that again this year. Plus, he had a pretty darn good OL. Tom Brady has had a great pass-protecting OL for a while, and even now it doesn't seem as though he's playing at an elite level.

What are the chances we're going to be able to either 1) find an elite QB, or 2) develop an elite QB? I liked the signing of Cortez as the QB coach, and I'd like to see what he can do, but the chances are that we're just going to have to work with a good QB, not a great/elite one.

With that in mind, the best option at this point is to build the rest of the team and then find a QB who is good enough to get the team to the playoffs/SB. Of course, if we do have the opportunity to get an elite QB, I'd be all for getting one. But I really don't see many QB's who do well no matter what talent or lack thereof is around them.

JCBills
03-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Add Big Ben to the list.

Mr. Pink
03-15-2010, 06:15 PM
I trust nobody that isn't named Brian Moorman on this team.

Philagape
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
There is no feasible present or potential rookie Bills QB that can be trusted.

feldspar
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I think it's obvious that nobody trusts the QBs that we have. No real need to ask the question. However, the only QB on this roster that anybody ever had any trust in is Trent Edwards. It's been a while, but it DID happen. Maybe not for too long, but it happened nonetheless, at least with the majority of fans and even the players. That trust is no longer there, though.

Some people are desperate enough to trust Brohm for no reason, if only because they don't have have a reason to distrust him because they haven't seen him play save one game, where he didn't exactly set the world on fire, legitimate excuses or not. Any hope in him being the guy is blind...totally blind.

Fitzpatrick...what can you say about him? In my opinion, the guy will never be anything other than a low-end backup. Starting him would be the biggest waste of time out of any of the current QBs on the roster.

So, in my book, the bottom line is that anybody except Fitzpatrick should start if we aren't LUCKY enough to pick up a guy that is head and shoulders above Brohm or Edwards, which is a longshot. The market isn't there right now. And, again, Brohm is a shot in the dark, since he has next to no NFL experience and was picked up off a practice squad. I don't care where he was drafted...Pat White was picked up in the second round as was John Beck.

I think that Edwards is the favorite to start at this point, like it or not.

JCBills
03-15-2010, 11:26 PM
I think it's obvious that nobody trusts the QBs that we have. No real need to ask the question. However, the only QB on this roster that anybody ever had any trust in is Trent Edwards. It's been a while, but it DID happen. Maybe not for too long, but it happened nonetheless, at least with the majority of fans and even the players. That trust is no longer there, though.

Some people are desperate enough to trust Brohm for no reason, if only because they don't have have a reason to distrust him because they haven't seen him play save one game, where he didn't exactly set the world on fire, legitimate excuses or not. Any hope in him being the guy is blind...totally blind.

Fitzpatrick...what can you say about him? In my opinion, the guy will never be anything other than a low-end backup. Starting him would be the biggest waste of time out of any of the current QBs on the roster.

So, in my book, the bottom line is that anybody except Fitzpatrick should start if we aren't LUCKY enough to pick up a guy that is head and shoulders above Brohm or Edwards, which is a longshot. The market isn't there right now. And, again, Brohm is a shot in the dark, since he has next to no NFL experience and was picked up off a practice squad. I don't care where he was drafted...Pat White was picked up in the second round as was John Beck.

I think that Edwards is the favorite to start at this point, like it or not.

With Brohm, I don't think it's blind as much as it is optimistic. He has tons of potential, he led one of college football's best passing offenses out of pro-style schemes during his time in Louisville. He showed some positive things in his lone start as well, 5 weeks on the team and one week throwing to the starters. If T.O. wasn't already checked out on the season and team, he could have adjusted and caught the ball that resulted in an INT. Though it is mostly because with the other two QBs we know what we get, but with Brohm we're yet to see enough to be able to fairly judge him.

feldspar
03-16-2010, 08:17 AM
With Brohm, I don't think it's blind as much as it is optimistic. He has tons of potential, he led one of college football's best passing offenses out of pro-style schemes during his time in Louisville. He showed some positive things in his lone start as well, 5 weeks on the team and one week throwing to the starters. If T.O. wasn't already checked out on the season and team, he could have adjusted and caught the ball that resulted in an INT. Though it is mostly because with the other two QBs we know what we get, but with Brohm we're yet to see enough to be able to fairly judge him.

OK, we'll compromise and call it blind optimism. Although, I think "hope" would be the best word.

College and the pros are two different things...entirely. The only thing we know about Brohm's ability in the pros is that he was demoted to the practice squad in Green Bay before playing one not-so-good game in Buffalo. Yeah, he didn't have much time to prepare for that game, but so what? I would really have liked to see him play against Indy's scrubs in the season finale.

Believe me, I have as much hope for him as anybody, but nobody knows until he plays. These people screaming that Brohm should start are acting out of this hope I speak of...and, yeah, that hope is born of desperation IMO...this is true even if Brohm turned out to be a great QB, which you have to admit is a longshot. Anything is possible, but it's a longshot.

better days
03-16-2010, 08:38 AM
OK, we'll compromise and call it blind optimism. Although, I think "hope" would be the best word.

College and the pros are two different things...entirely. The only thing we know about Brohm's ability in the pros is that he was demoted to the practice squad in Green Bay before playing one not-so-good game in Buffalo. Yeah, he didn't have much time to prepare for that game, but so what? I would really have liked to see him play against Indy's scrubs in the season finale.

Believe me, I have as much hope for him as anybody, but nobody knows until he plays. These people screaming that Brohm should start are acting out of this hope I speak of...and, yeah, that hope is born of desperation IMO...this is true even if Brohm turned out to be a great QB, which you have to admit is a longshot. Anything is possible, but it's a longshot.

Brohm is a longshot, but to think Trent or Ryan will all of a sudden start to look like starting NFL QB's is an even longer shot.

Ron Burgundy
03-16-2010, 08:43 AM
I wish for the best for Brian Brohm in all his future insurance sales endeavors, once he finishes humping the last few gasps out of his NFL daydreams.

better days
03-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I wish for the best for Brian Brohm in all his future insurance sales endeavors, once he finishes humping the last few gasps out of his NFL daydreams.

I wish the same for Trent Edwards, & Ryan Fitzpatrick. I hope some team cuts a vet in camp the Bills can pick up.

Ron Burgundy
03-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I wish the same for Trent Edwards, & Ryan Fitzpatrick. I hope some team cuts a vet in camp the Bills can pick up.

They've got backup potential, though. We'll have to keep at least one of 'em.