PDA

View Full Version : MMQ Peter King - Why No Love For McNabb ?

Night Train
03-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Whoa. Looking like a dead Sunday, middle of March, with me still incredulous over the Browns paying Jake Delhomme $7 million, and all of a sudden, LaDainian Tomlinson flies to the Jets, Brady Quinn gets a new life in Denver and the Raiders take a chance on a pass-rusher who was a big disappointment in Cleveland, Kamerion Wimbley. In an hour.

The weekend news leaves us with one big personnel story (except for the fate of Brandon Marshall) prior to the draft: Why are teams not fighting to get Donovan McNabb or Kevin Kolb from the Eagles?

It's interesting how this story of the Eagles quarterbacks has stretched out. We all know it's unlikely Philly opens the season with McNabb, Kolb and Michael Vick as the quarterback depth chart. If I'm laying odds, it's 60-40 McNabb is under center for the Eagles on opening day. But that 40 percent (who knows -- maybe it's 30 or 35) means something. Andy Reid has said McNabb is his quarterback, but the one thing he has not said is "I absolutely will not trade Donovan McNabb.''
Case in point. Remember last summer, two weeks before Philly landed Vick, when Reid said signing Vick "is not the direction we're looking"? He never said, "We have no interest in Vick.'' So when he says he's happy with his quarterbacks and feels McNabb is his guy, it's a lot different than saying he wouldn't deal him.

A playoff quarterback near his prime can be had for a premium price. The fact that there's a real chance the Eagles could deal McNabb, and that McNabb is a half-year younger than Peyton Manning and apparently intends to play four or five more seasons, and also apparently has kicked the injury bug, leads me to this question: What in the world are all these quarterback-needy teams doing? Why aren't teams running to deal for McNabb?

The prime object of this game in the personnel area is to get a quarterback who can win games and lead your team, and a good, proven one is out there. The Eagles aren't shopping him, but they surely are listening.
I asked a coach with a quarterback need about McNabb, and the coach said because McNabb is on the last year of his contract and would probably need to be re-signed, and the fact that Philadelphia would want a high draft choice for him in a very good draft, and the fact that he doesn't have a lot of years left, all combine to make it a tough trade. Understood. Good factors all. But McNabb is 33.

I have my own problems with McNabb. I don't consider him on the Manning-Brady-Brees plane. I think the Eagles should go with Kolb and make the best deal they can for McNabb this offseason, because, basically, it's Groundhog Day in Philadelphia. Every year's the same, and I don't see McNabb getting Philly over the hump and into another Super Bowl.

So why would I want to pawn him off on another quarterback-needy team when I don't think he's a top-five quarterback? Simple. Because he's a top-10 or top-12 quarterback, and they're too hard to find to let one pass when he's just sitting there for the taking. McNabb would shore up any team's most important position for the next half-decade. Some team's going to take Jimmy Clausen between, say, the fourth and 20th pick in the first round, and whoever takes him is going to have no idea if he's the long-term solution at quarterback.

NFL teams have picked 30 quarterbacks in the first round since 1999. Of those 30, I'd say six (McNabb, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers) have turned into top-flight starters. Six more (Chad Pennington, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Vick, Daunte Culpepper) have been well worth the pick; Vick, remember, had the Falcons on strong playoff runs early in his career.
The other 18 include four No. 1 overall picks (Tim Couch, David Carr, Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell) who have either failed or need career CPR to get back on track. Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Kyle Boller, J.P. Losman -- finished far too soon. Twelve success stories out of 30, with a few more hanging in the balance.

What would you rather have, a four- or five-year shot at a relatively sure thing in McNabb (with a +12 TD/INT ratio in each of his past four seasons), or a guy who makes you go to bed uneasy every night for the next two or three years because you just don't know how he'll pan out?

Discuss

methos4ever
03-15-2010, 11:37 AM
King has a point, but he also fails to mention that with that 4-5 year window remaining McNabb would want to play for a winner that just needs a QB, as opposed to going to a team in re-build and being their 5 year punching dummy.

justasportsfan
03-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm sure there's lots of love for McNabb but maybe it's because the eagles aren't trying to move him (yet) and McNabb has stated he wants to stay.

Night Train
03-15-2010, 11:45 AM
King has a point, but he also fails to mention that with that 4-5 year window remaining McNabb would want to play for a winner that just needs a QB, as opposed to going to a team in re-build and being their 5 year punching dummy.

I agree and every QB wants to play for a winner.

Yet teams that are winning usually have a good QB already, correct ? So ones options are somewhat limited, in reality.

Night Train
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm sure there's lots of love for McNabb but maybe it's because the eagles aren't trying to move him (yet) and McNabb has stated he wants to stay.

What the Philly press is reporting is Andy Reid wants McNabb to stay but the owner and front office wish to move him ( meaning the owner will not give him a new contract after this one expires next year ).

OpIv37
03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
McNabb easily has 3 good years left and I wouldn't mind getting him.

The problem, however, is the same for any other QB we may get: the rest of the team is in shambles. Our OL is terrible. Our WR's suck and we don't even have enough of them. There is no one on this roster who can play NT. Our DE's aren't a good fit for the defense we intend to run. Our LB's suck. I could keep going but you get the point...

I'm sure the Eagles would want significant value for McNabb, and given on the issues on this team, he'd be unlikely to get us over the top. So it's not worth it.

Mike13
03-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Iggles fans wont know what they're missing when he is gone.

better days
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
The Eagles are crazy. They are aking for a 2nd rnd pick for Vick. Not McNabb but Vick. They want a #1 for McNabb. Why would any team trade any pick for Vick when they could have had him for free last year. He has shown nothing since signing with the Eagles. A #1 pick is too much for an old often injured QB in the last year of his contract.

justasportsfan
03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
What the Philly press is reporting is Andy Reid wants McNabb to stay but the owner and front office wish to move him ( meaning the owner will not give him a new contract after this one expires next year ).

which could explain the lack of any sort of love from other teams. The eagles themselves are at a stand still .

YardRat
03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
McNabb is on the last year of his contract and would probably need to be re-signed, and the fact that Philadelphia would want a high draft choice for him in a very good draft, and the fact that he doesn't have a lot of years left

BertSquirtgum
03-15-2010, 02:18 PM
nobody is trying because the price will be too high. not worth it for a quarterback whose knees are known to **** the bed.