PDA

View Full Version : Another "what to do at #9" thread. But this one isn't too bad.

jamze132
03-16-2010, 03:31 AM
It would be hard to pas up McClain at #9. It would also be hard to pass up Spiller.

First off, I am a huge proponent of fixing both lines before anything, but realistically at #9, the best OT prospects will probably be off the board. If that's the case, we shouldn't just draft the next best OT because we "need" one. At that point, you are severely reaching and we all know what "reaching does for you (Whitner / McCargo) but I don't have many worries about reaching since Nix is a great college talent evaluator. His track record in SD speaks for itself.

I think taking Williams (NT) at #9 is too early as you can find fatness a little bit later. He's a great prospect but I just think we could find a nice NT a bit later. So where does that leave us? One of the top 2 QBs will more than likely be there but I am not enamored with either of them. I am in favor of taking one in the 3rd or 4th. So Spiller and McClain should both be there at #9.

It would be great to have Spiller in the backfield but the truth is, it's already crowded in Buffalo. I don't see Lynch being traded, I see his workload increasing in the new style of offense Chan is talking about. We all know how much of a bruiser he is when Lynch is on his game. The guy can be a beast.

Let's hypothetically look where we're at. We're sitting at #9 with one of the top 2 QBs on the board, one of the best ILBs, and one of the best RBs in the draft all available. Our biggest need (OT) has already been depleted enough to not take a chance at #9 and there probably isn't a DT worth taking at #9. We will be in an outstanding position to trade down and gather more picks. I like this idea of trading down a lot but if we stay at #9, McClain, IMO will give us the biggest bang for the buck.

clumping platelets
03-16-2010, 03:42 AM
The player we take at #9 needs to be a difference maker