My Draft strategy, for whatever its worth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nolimit
    Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
    • Aug 2003

My Draft strategy, for whatever its worth...

I have become fully convinced that CJ Spiller is this years impact player. This is what this team needs. Take spiller with the 1st pick. Tebow in the 2nd and trade Lynch for a 3rd. There is the heart and soul of your revamped Buffalo Bills. I think this also puts fans in the stands!
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Re: My Draft strategy, for whatever its worth...

When you think long and hard about it Spiller makes sense. If you are Gailey and you know you are building a team with a young or inexperienced QB you know you have to score points through the run game primarily.

Lynch and Jackson are workhorse backs but they rarely break off big plays. 4-5 yards consistently is good for an established QB but for a young guy that will struggle to sustain long drives, having a RB who can break long runs often and shorten the field is a huge bonus.

I think Gailey is going to be very creative with this offense. I see him using 3 back sets, running the option, wildcat etc. So having a guy like Spiller in the first round and Tebow or McCoy in the 2nd round could give Gailey the tools he needs to run a ton of different looks.

Comment

• buffalobillsfan95
      • Jan 2010

im all for getting cj spiller in the first but tebow in the second... no, we need to grab an OT or a NG, but if you want a project get skelton
      “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

I realize there have been several threads recently about Spiller and what is being said is true. He's the one guy who can turn a 6 yard play into 60 yards in the blink of an eye.

If the Bills get busy and trade for/sign a LT or NT prior to the draft, this becomes a very strong possibility. If not, picking him would be very risky and would leave our OL/DL looking less than solid, yet again.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

I would be happy with Spiller in the 1st. The year OJ was drafted the Bills did not have a good O-line.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

I would be completely shocked if we took Spiller with the 9th pick.

I also am not sure he'd be in the board anyway at 9 (Seattle at 6)

RB along with secondary is one of the only two strengths on this team. Fred Jackson is a very good football player and just coming into his own. Though I stand by my assertion that Bills have explored trading Marshawn LYnch, I think they are finding they won't get value for him (not a third rounder or better) and they're likely to just keep him another year.

With a team so badly in need of help at LT, DT, DE and possibly OLB, Doesn't anyone think it would be a little too "cute", borderline Donahoe'ish to draft Spiller?

Not to mention, I put very little stock into Wonderlic scores, but is anyone at all alarmed that Spiller scored a 10 on his?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
              Defies all logic
              • Oct 2006

I'm of a similar mindset, but I'm thinking that Dez Bryant would be a nice pick too. I just think that taking a RB in the 1st round is a bad idea, to me that position can be drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Something like:

1.) Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
              2.) Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
              3.) Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan
              3.) Linval Joseph, NT, East Carolina
              4.) LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

I'm definitely on board with you in terms of trading Marshawn, add Edwards to the list too.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                I would be completely shocked if we took Spiller with the 9th pick.

I also am not sure he'd be in the board anyway at 9 (Seattle at 6)

RB along with secondary is one of the only two strengths on this team. Fred Jackson is a very good football player and just coming into his own. Though I stand by my assertion that Bills have explored trading Marshawn LYnch, I think they are finding they won't get value for him (not a third rounder or better) and they're likely to just keep him another year.

With a team so badly in need of help at LT, DT, DE and possibly OLB, Doesn't anyone think it would be a little too "cute", borderline Donahoe'ish to draft Spiller?

Not to mention, I put very little stock into Wonderlic scores, but is anyone at all alarmed that Spiller scored a 10 on his?

The only reason I can see Gailey drafting Spiller is because he thinks Spiller can be an Adrian Peterson and Jackson cannot.

And no, I am not alarmed about his wonderlic scores. Production on the field is what counts.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                  The only reason I can see Gailey drafting Spiller is because he thinks Spiller can be an Adrian Peterson and Jackson cannot.

And no, I am not alarmed about his wonderlic scores. Production on the field is what counts.
                  A.P. has Bryant McKinnie at LT and Hutchinson at LG (among others)

I like Spiller, I won't hate the pick either if it were to happen.

I just don't see it happening.

Comment

• nolimit
                    Member of the Official Drew Bledsoe Truce!
                    • Aug 2003

A.P. has Bryant McKinnie at LT and Hutchinson at LG (among others)

I like Spiller, I won't hate the pick either if it were to happen.

I just don't see it happening.
                    Bryant Mckinnie is average. The interior of the bills line was addressed last year. Wood and levitre are going to be good for awhile. A great rb finds the holes and turns 1 yd into a 60 yd td.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Again, I have no problem with Spiller and they could do a lot worse.

Just don't see it happening.. RB is already a position of strength on this team, one of the few spots you can say that.

Comment

• buffalobillsfan95
                        • Jan 2010

Again, I have no problem with Spiller and they could do a lot worse.

Just don't see it happening.. RB is already a position of strength on this team, one of the few spots you can say that.
                        the other is saftey
                        “The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Night Train
                          If the Bills get busy and trade for/sign a LT or NT prior to the draft, this becomes a very strong possibility. If not, picking him would be very risky and would leave our OL/DL looking less than solid, yet again.

This is theonly way I see Spiller as apossibility....

We need to fill some other bigger holes via trades and FA otherwise such a move will only hurt us...

Comment

• ddaryl
                            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by better days
                            I would be happy with Spiller in the 1st. The year OJ was drafted the Bills did not have a good O-line.

How many playoff wins did we have during the OJ years ? How many winning seasons...

SO research that before you toss out such a stat, you won't be happy with the info you find because it does not support the theory you are pimping

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ddaryl
                              How many playoff wins did we have during the OJ years ? How many winning seasons...

SO research that before you toss out such a stat, you won't be happy with the info you find because it does not support the theory you are pimping
                              Well you can throw out all the stats except for the few years Saban was his coach. The Bills were just getting back on track & Saban quit again.

Comment

Working...
                              X