PDA

View Full Version : My Draft strategy, for whatever its worth...

nolimit
03-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I have become fully convinced that CJ Spiller is this years impact player. This is what this team needs. Take spiller with the 1st pick. Tebow in the 2nd and trade Lynch for a 3rd. There is the heart and soul of your revamped Buffalo Bills. I think this also puts fans in the stands!

Mahdi
03-16-2010, 08:27 AM
When you think long and hard about it Spiller makes sense. If you are Gailey and you know you are building a team with a young or inexperienced QB you know you have to score points through the run game primarily.

Lynch and Jackson are workhorse backs but they rarely break off big plays. 4-5 yards consistently is good for an established QB but for a young guy that will struggle to sustain long drives, having a RB who can break long runs often and shorten the field is a huge bonus.

I think Gailey is going to be very creative with this offense. I see him using 3 back sets, running the option, wildcat etc. So having a guy like Spiller in the first round and Tebow or McCoy in the 2nd round could give Gailey the tools he needs to run a ton of different looks.

buffalobillsfan95
03-16-2010, 08:29 AM
im all for getting cj spiller in the first but tebow in the second... no, we need to grab an OT or a NG, but if you want a project get skelton

Night Train
03-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I realize there have been several threads recently about Spiller and what is being said is true. He's the one guy who can turn a 6 yard play into 60 yards in the blink of an eye.

If the Bills get busy and trade for/sign a LT or NT prior to the draft, this becomes a very strong possibility. If not, picking him would be very risky and would leave our OL/DL looking less than solid, yet again.

better days
03-16-2010, 08:43 AM
I would be happy with Spiller in the 1st. The year OJ was drafted the Bills did not have a good O-line.

patmoran2006
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
I would be completely shocked if we took Spiller with the 9th pick.

I also am not sure he'd be in the board anyway at 9 (Seattle at 6)

RB along with secondary is one of the only two strengths on this team. Fred Jackson is a very good football player and just coming into his own. Though I stand by my assertion that Bills have explored trading Marshawn LYnch, I think they are finding they won't get value for him (not a third rounder or better) and they're likely to just keep him another year.

With a team so badly in need of help at LT, DT, DE and possibly OLB, Doesn't anyone think it would be a little too "cute", borderline Donahoe'ish to draft Spiller?

Not to mention, I put very little stock into Wonderlic scores, but is anyone at all alarmed that Spiller scored a 10 on his?

PECKERWOOD
03-16-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm of a similar mindset, but I'm thinking that Dez Bryant would be a nice pick too. I just think that taking a RB in the 1st round is a bad idea, to me that position can be drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Something like:

1.) Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
2.) Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
3.) Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan
3.) Linval Joseph, NT, East Carolina
4.) LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

I'm definitely on board with you in terms of trading Marshawn, add Edwards to the list too.

justasportsfan
03-16-2010, 09:55 AM
I would be completely shocked if we took Spiller with the 9th pick.

I also am not sure he'd be in the board anyway at 9 (Seattle at 6)

RB along with secondary is one of the only two strengths on this team. Fred Jackson is a very good football player and just coming into his own. Though I stand by my assertion that Bills have explored trading Marshawn LYnch, I think they are finding they won't get value for him (not a third rounder or better) and they're likely to just keep him another year.

With a team so badly in need of help at LT, DT, DE and possibly OLB, Doesn't anyone think it would be a little too "cute", borderline Donahoe'ish to draft Spiller?

Not to mention, I put very little stock into Wonderlic scores, but is anyone at all alarmed that Spiller scored a 10 on his?

The only reason I can see Gailey drafting Spiller is because he thinks Spiller can be an Adrian Peterson and Jackson cannot.

And no, I am not alarmed about his wonderlic scores. Production on the field is what counts.

patmoran2006
03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
The only reason I can see Gailey drafting Spiller is because he thinks Spiller can be an Adrian Peterson and Jackson cannot.

And no, I am not alarmed about his wonderlic scores. Production on the field is what counts.

A.P. has Bryant McKinnie at LT and Hutchinson at LG (among others)

I like Spiller, I won't hate the pick either if it were to happen.

I just don't see it happening.

nolimit
03-16-2010, 10:06 AM
A.P. has Bryant McKinnie at LT and Hutchinson at LG (among others)

I like Spiller, I won't hate the pick either if it were to happen.

I just don't see it happening.

Bryant Mckinnie is average. The interior of the bills line was addressed last year. Wood and levitre are going to be good for awhile. A great rb finds the holes and turns 1 yd into a 60 yd td.

patmoran2006
03-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Again, I have no problem with Spiller and they could do a lot worse.

Just don't see it happening.. RB is already a position of strength on this team, one of the few spots you can say that.

buffalobillsfan95
03-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Again, I have no problem with Spiller and they could do a lot worse.

Just don't see it happening.. RB is already a position of strength on this team, one of the few spots you can say that.
the other is saftey

ddaryl
03-16-2010, 10:22 AM
If the Bills get busy and trade for/sign a LT or NT prior to the draft, this becomes a very strong possibility. If not, picking him would be very risky and would leave our OL/DL looking less than solid, yet again.

This is theonly way I see Spiller as apossibility....

We need to fill some other bigger holes via trades and FA otherwise such a move will only hurt us...

ddaryl
03-16-2010, 10:25 AM
I would be happy with Spiller in the 1st. The year OJ was drafted the Bills did not have a good O-line.

How many playoff wins did we have during the OJ years ? How many winning seasons...

SO research that before you toss out such a stat, you won't be happy with the info you find because it does not support the theory you are pimping

better days
03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
How many playoff wins did we have during the OJ years ? How many winning seasons...

SO research that before you toss out such a stat, you won't be happy with the info you find because it does not support the theory you are pimping

Well you can throw out all the stats except for the few years Saban was his coach. The Bills were just getting back on track & Saban quit again.

nolimit
03-16-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

ddaryl
03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Well you can throw out all the stats except for the few years Saban was his coach. The Bills were just getting back on track & Saban quit again.

C'mon... common football sense 101. "the game is won and lost in the trenches"

Bottom line is a RB like Spiller is a wasted pick if this team cannot upgrade there present OL situation

Philagape
03-16-2010, 12:19 PM

Bottom line is a RB like Spiller is a wasted pick if this team cannot upgrade there present OL situation

(speaking generally) A wasted pick is not getting the best player for the team available at that pick. Insisting on getting a certain position only is what brought Donte Whitner and John McCargo.

We need to think long-term. When a team drafts, it's drafting for that player's career, not just the upcoming season. When you build a team over the course of a few years, a better team will be built if the picks are used on the best players instead of passing over the best players because they don't fit into a rigid order of positions.
Of course a team needs good trenches, but it does a team no good to pass over superior playmakers for lesser-value linemen, because then when those playmakers are drafted, they'll find themselves behind lesser lines because the team just absolutely had to draft a lineman first no matter what.
If you draft a playmaker who deserves to be drafted at your spot, he can wait until his lines are built in front of him.
You draft for the future more than the present, and you draft for the player more than the position.

(This is not to compare the merits of Spiller vs. anyone else, but just a general philosophy. If a lineman is there who is a better prospect than Spiller on his own merits, then the Bills should take the lineman. That goes for almost any other position, considering the sorry shape the Bills are in.)

gonzo1105
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
The thing we are not mentioning is we know if Trent Edwards starts that the RB's and TE's will be getting a lot of balls thrown their way. That is why Spiller would be the perfect pick can take the captain checkdown throw's from 3 yards away and break em for big gains.

better days
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM

I agree with that & if one of the TOP LT's are there the Bills should grab him, but it looks like they will be gone. I would rather take Spiller than a lesser LT. The Bills will upgrade the line even if they draft guys in the 2nd or 3rd rnd........they will be better than last years OT's.

JCBills
03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Look at recent drafts, tons of impact RBs come out of the later rounds.

Either trade back from #9 or address a major need, RB isn't even close to being on the list when you have two 1,000 yd backs on your roster.

better days
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Look at recent drafts, tons of impact RBs come out of the later rounds.

Either trade back from #9 or address a major need, RB isn't even close to being on the list when you have two 1,000 yd backs on your roster.

Spiller is being projected as a top 10 pick. Yes there are other RB's, but nobody with his talent. If the top LT's & DT's are gone who will want to move up to #9 & who would they want?

better days
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm of a similar mindset, but I'm thinking that Dez Bryant would be a nice pick too. I just think that taking a RB in the 1st round is a bad idea, to me that position can be drafted in the 3rd round and beyond. Something like:

1.) Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
2.) Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
3.) Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan
3.) Linval Joseph, NT, East Carolina
4.) LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon

I'm definitely on board with you in terms of trading Marshawn, add Edwards to the list too.

Did you know that Dez Bryant signed Eugene Parker to be his agent? You know, the guy that held Crabtree out so long last year.

JCBills
03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Spiller is being projected as a top 10 pick. Yes there are other RB's, but nobody with his talent. If the top LT's & DT's are gone who will want to move up to #9 & who would they want?

Plenty of teams could want that #9 spot depending on how the first 8 picks turn out, someone in the 16-21 range looking to leapfrog another team or something of that sort. We have a massive list of needs, and if you look at it on a need/round scale, RB is maybe a 5th round need for us. I'm actually really hoping they can pull something like that off, move back and grab and extra picks. Nobody is a sure thing, I'd rather have a 12-20 prospect and an extra 2nd day pick than a top 10 pick, especially considering we lack a LOLB and NT fit.

better days
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Plenty of teams could want that #9 spot depending on how the first 8 picks turn out, someone in the 16-21 range looking to leapfrog another team or something of that sort. We have a massive list of needs, and if you look at it on a need/round scale, RB is maybe a 5th round need for us. I'm actually really hoping they can pull something like that off, move back and grab and extra picks. Nobody is a sure thing, I'd rather have a 12-20 prospect and an extra 2nd day pick than a top 10 pick, especially considering we lack a LOLB and NT fit.

Again, I'm saying IF all the top OT's & DL players are gone who would be there at #9 to entice some team to WANT to move up. If there is a player there like that, the Bills should draft him. They can use help everywhere except punter.