PDA

View Full Version : Have you guys noticed how hard the NHL has been trying to sell the sport lately?

JD
03-16-2010, 04:48 PM
In every game you'll hear references to other sports during play by play.. the other day I even heard a VS. announcer describe two players as "fencing it out" with their sticks. "False start" is another term used at the faceoffs, 3 goals has been referred to as a "Field Goal" and there are just so many more I can't think of at the moment.

Have you guys picked up on any?

Mski
03-16-2010, 07:13 PM
i noticed the other night when there was 6 golas in the first period of the sabres game, the announcers said "it my take a touchdown to win this one"

RockStar36
03-17-2010, 06:42 AM
I've noticed that ESPN is paying more attention to hockey. They show highlights (sometimes), there is usually at least one play in the top ten, Barry Melrose was a guest on PTI yesterday. Seems like they are giving a half ass attempt to recognize the sport.

DMBcrew36
03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
I don't think talking about 'going to the hoop' and 'false start' are them trying to sell the game as much as it is just a reflection of their little pea-brains.

Michael82
03-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I've noticed that ESPN is paying more attention to hockey. They show highlights (sometimes), there is usually at least one play in the top ten, Barry Melrose was a guest on PTI yesterday. Seems like they are giving a half ass attempt to recognize the sport.

Yet Bettman wants to stop NHLers from playing the Olympics.... What a joke!

JD
03-19-2010, 01:35 AM

From what I understand, ESPN has a new owner who likes hockey. The previous owner hated it which was why their contract talks turned sour back in the day. I think we'll see hockey back on the E S P N in 5 years.