Have you guys noticed how hard the NHL has been trying to sell the sport lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JD
    Sabres Zone
    • Sep 2003

Have you guys noticed how hard the NHL has been trying to sell the sport lately?

In every game you'll hear references to other sports during play by play.. the other day I even heard a VS. announcer describe two players as "fencing it out" with their sticks. "False start" is another term used at the faceoffs, 3 goals has been referred to as a "Field Goal" and there are just so many more I can't think of at the moment.

Have you guys picked up on any?
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.
  • Mski
    • Mar 2006

Re: Have you guys noticed how hard the NHL has been trying to sell the sport lately?

i noticed the other night when there was 6 golas in the first period of the sabres game, the announcers said "it my take a touchdown to win this one"
    RIP Tommy D!
    12/25/1978-9/9/2008

If you make something "Idiot-proof", they'll only make better idiots!

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

Re: Have you guys noticed how hard the NHL has been trying to sell the sport lately?

I've noticed that ESPN is paying more attention to hockey. They show highlights (sometimes), there is usually at least one play in the top ten, Barry Melrose was a guest on PTI yesterday. Seems like they are giving a half ass attempt to recognize the sport.

D & S Sports

Comment

• DMBcrew36
        • Feb 2005

I don't think talking about 'going to the hoop' and 'false start' are them trying to sell the game as much as it is just a reflection of their little pea-brains.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by RockStar36
          I've noticed that ESPN is paying more attention to hockey. They show highlights (sometimes), there is usually at least one play in the top ten, Barry Melrose was a guest on PTI yesterday. Seems like they are giving a half ass attempt to recognize the sport.
          Yet Bettman wants to stop NHLers from playing the Olympics.... What a joke!

Comment

• JD
            Sabres Zone
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by RockStar36
            From what I understand, ESPN has a new owner who likes hockey. The previous owner hated it which was why their contract talks turned sour back in the day. I think we'll see hockey back on the E S P N in 5 years.
            “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
            X