PDA

View Full Version : Stroud V. Williams

nateodoms'bff
03-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Can someone explain why Kyle Williams is more of a fit at NT instead of Marcus Stroud?

It seems as if Stroud's style of play is more in line with the purpose of a NT, to eat up the center of the line. Williams seems to play more of the DE position as a penetrator.

I know neither are long term solutions at the position, and I am hoping for Cody to get drafted by the Bills in the 2nd.

It seems that if the front 3 were Williams - Stroud/Cody - Edwards, gives the Bills the best options.

SirMcGee
03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Neither fit the mould to play the position.

PECKERWOOD
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
That's the thing, it makes absolutely no sense for Stroud & Williams to be on our roster next season, especially since we signed Dwan Edwards.

theanswer74
03-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Neither fit the mould to play the position.
Ever see Kelly Gregg play? Kyle Williams is more fit at NT then people think. He is super strong with a low center of gravity, he is hard to move.

6'1 306lbs can easily be 6'1 315lbs for Williams. He could add some weight easily if asked to.

Marcus Stroud needs to lose weight if he want to last in the NFL. He has already said he will be around 290lbs next year and is happy to move to DE. His body cant handle 310lbs anymore.

nateodoms'bff
03-16-2010, 10:58 PM
interesting thoughts about Strouds weight. i hadnt thought of that. I know he said he was looking forward to playing whatever role was asked of him, thats why i asked. Ive always thought that Strouds level of play and style of play would lend him towards being the transition NT, while Williams seems better suited as a run stopper/pass rushing DE.(in the 3-4)

Im not sold on the idea of either of them as the starting NT.

theanswer74
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
interesting thoughts about Strouds weight. i hadnt thought of that. I know he said he was looking forward to playing whatever role was asked of him, thats why i asked. Ive always thought that Strouds level of play and style of play would lend him towards being the transition NT, while Williams seems better suited as a run stopper/pass rushing DE.(in the 3-4)

Im not sold on the idea of either of them as the starting NT.

Typically NT's are shorter, 6'0 -6'3. I dont know how many 6'6 NT's there are if any.

I dont know why people dont think Kyle Williams can play NT. I really havent heard one reason besides he is only 306lbs.

The best NT IMO plays for Dallas and is only 300lbs.

psubills62
03-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Can someone explain why Kyle Williams is more of a fit at NT instead of Marcus Stroud?

It seems as if Stroud's style of play is more in line with the purpose of a NT, to eat up the center of the line. Williams seems to play more of the DE position as a penetrator.

I know neither are long term solutions at the position, and I am hoping for Cody to get drafted by the Bills in the 2nd.

It seems that if the front 3 were Williams - Stroud/Cody - Edwards, gives the Bills the best options.

There are a couple problems for both of them. First of all, neither have ever played the nose in a 3-4 before. Second, both are typically penetrators. Stroud probably has more experience holding up double-teams than Williams does, but he's not nearly as effective at it anymore.

I think the main reason people talk about Williams at NT instead of Stroud is that Stroud is an ideal body type for the 3-4 DE. He's 6'6" (tall, can bat down passes), and a little over 300 pounds. Williams also has the ideal height (needs to put on weight) for a 3-4 NT.

Another thing to mention is that Williams has never been asked to occupy blockers before. He's never really had to do it, so we don't know how good he would be at it.

You're right that neither is a long-term solution. The best-case scenario is to use Stroud at DE (for a year, MAYBE two) and Williams as a third-down NT. We need to get a big body like Cody in as a two-down lineman.