PDA

View Full Version : I'm happy we made moves too BUT

BuffaloBlitz83
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis aren't guys that are Impact, Gamechanging, Pro bowl calibre guys. I hope they work out like everyone else.

But we need to stop accepting mediocrity in Buffalo. This was an Uncapped year, we could have THREW Major dollars at the ELITE FA's.

Have we sucked so bad we are excited about Backups on good teams. These guys we signed wouldn't be starting on teams like the Jets, Steelers.

Dr. Lecter
03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Dwan Edwards and Andra Davis aren't guys that are Impact, Gamechanging, Pro bowl calibre guys. I hope they work out like everyone else.

But we need to stop accepting mediocrity in Buffalo. This was an Uncapped year, we could have THREW Major dollars at the ELITE FA's.

Have we sucked so bad we are excited about Backups on good teams. These guys we signed wouldn't be starting on teams like the Jets, Steelers.

Which elite FAs?

And did they want to come here?

It is not as easy as throwing money at guys.

And there were very few elite FAs to start with.

YardRat
03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
And the 'Impact, Gamechanging, Pro bowl caliber' FA's this off season that fit a 34 defense are.......???

bigbub2352
03-16-2010, 09:33 PM
There was no one out there worth throwing the money at Peppers would be about it...i wanted players that were stop gap players as well as able to help with the transition of the 3-4

Guys to come in and teach the new draft picks how to play this D and help the vets to transition

Davis and Edwards are both solid football players not flashy but will come to work every game
thats what we need a change of attitude not a bumch of flash in the pan FAs with 2 good years left thats all that was available this yr

otherwise i would agree with u

keep the signings coming and stop retaining our bums like Corto and ellison etc.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2010, 09:34 PM
you're not going to get Ray Lewis performance for peanuts either.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-16-2010, 09:35 PM
We could have tried to sign Dansby, Peppers, Eugene Amano. Amano is better than what we have on the OL. Even if guys reject us, we should still make an effort, you never know if you overpay what can happen.

JCBills
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
With our needs, these are two of the best signings we could have made.

MikeInRoch
03-16-2010, 09:36 PM
And you know we didn't talk to them because....

JCBills
03-16-2010, 09:37 PM
We could have tried to sign Dansby, Peppers, Eugene Amano. Amano is better than what we have on the OL. Even if guys reject us, we should still make an effort, you never know if you overpay what can happen.

You have no idea what they did or didn't try to do.

Nix has a seal on OBD, nobody even knew Dwan Edwards was visiting until he was in the building.

Philagape
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't think the sentiment is "we should have gotten better players."

I think it's "let's not cream ourselves for guys who haven't proven they're that caliber."

They got a journeyman who didn't do much for his new team last year, and a career backup who had a good half-season and has a fused spine.
I'm going to see how they do before getting excited about them.

BuffaloBlitz83
03-16-2010, 09:41 PM
You have no idea what they did or didn't try to do.

Nix has a seal on OBD, nobody even knew Dwan Edwards was visiting until he was in the building.

How come, No reports ever stated Buffalo as a team of interest that made offers on ESPN. They listed teams that were interested in those players. Why do we give Buffalo the benefit of a doubt. Do they deserve anything after the last decade. This teams management/ownership has made a bad rep on players and fans.

JCBills
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
How come, No reports ever stated Buffalo as a team of interest that made offers on ESPN. They listed teams that were interested in those players. Why do we give Buffalo the benefit of a doubt. Do they deserve anything after the last decade. This teams management/ownership has made a bad rep on players and fans.

Wrong, they speculated on teams they think could be interested, hence the ? next to the team names. People like to take speculation as fact for whatever reason.

Like I just said, were there any reports that Dwan Edwards was even visiting? No, and those usually come before the offers.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2010, 09:44 PM

this team is in no position to do that. Green, Edwards, Davis, and whoever else they sign are going to have to be good enough until they get a year of draft picks under their belt.

Raptor
03-16-2010, 09:55 PM
lolol Silliness

Listen the Bills are finally doing what we should have been doing a long time ago and thats building through the draft and using FA'cy to augment that by adding a solid starter or two and some depth. Long story short we should be modeling ourselves after there Steelers and by the looks of it we are now

This idea that we should be chasing these big ticket FA's is a faulty one and doesnt fit the profile of how this team should be run. We should be modeling ourselves after the Steelers but it seems like some Bills fans like to try and kid themselves and convince themselves we should be run like a big market team like the Cowboys or the Washington. If your waiting for that I kind of feel sad for you because your waiting for something that isnt going to happen here nor should it

justasportsfan
03-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Peppers is not a DE in a 3-4 . He's a question mark at lber. Might as well see what we have in Maybin at lber who's younger.

All I can hope for is improvement. We are not going to get it in just one season.

BertSquirtgum
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
this thread is bunk. there weren't any elite free agents except for peppers and he would have commanded too much for the bills. they needed a lot more than one game changer like peppers.

HopefulBillsFan
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
you have to start somewhere.. once we build a winning tradition players will be more interested in Buffalo.

TrEd FTW
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't know about you people, but I am still basking in the glow of those three Super Bowls we won as a result of signing Spikes, Fletcher, Milloy, Adams and Posey in the span of two offseasons. What a dynasty we had here, and it all came from throwing money around. Buddy Nix, if he had a brain, would learn from those great teams and build his the same way. He's too stupid, though.

Luisito23
03-16-2010, 10:36 PM
With the amount of stupid threads like this today we would've been better off not signing anyone.

PECKERWOOD
03-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, I've talked to a couple Raven fans and they said that Dwan Edwards is a beast in run defense but he offers little as a pass rusher. Take it for what it's worth, Edwards is a meat and potatoes/grinder kind of player, he will be 2 down starter for us.

JCBills
03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
Well, I've talked to a couple Raven fans and they said that Dwan Edwards is a beast in run defense but he offers little as a pass rusher. Take it for what it's worth, Edwards is a meat and potatoes/grinder kind of player, he will be 2 down starter for us.

Yeah from the looks of it he's always been part of a heavy rotation.

Extremely solid signing to help the run D though. We'll probably draft a pair of 3-4 DE types at some point to see if one or both can stick as part of a rotation.

B-DON
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah from the looks of it he's always been part of a heavy rotation.

Extremely solid signing to help the run D though. We'll probably draft a pair of 3-4 DE types at some point to see if one or both can stick as part of a rotation.

I see Spencer Johnson coming in on 3rd down or any obvious passing downs

BuffaloBlitz83
03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I see Spencer Johnson coming in on 3rd down or any obvious passing downs

I wish Chris Ellis could put on 15-20 pounds. He'd be a nice pass rusher in a 3-4 if he was 280-290

B-DON
03-16-2010, 11:45 PM
I wish Chris Ellis could put on 15-20 pounds. He'd be a nice pass rusher in a 3-4 if he was 280-290

having ellis and maybin rushing from the outside for years to come would be the dream scenario.

Beebe's Kid
03-17-2010, 01:15 AM
I am glad that I got to see this thread... I almost went to bed thinking that there wasn't any unnecessary negative, talk out of the other side of my face after crying like a little girl that they didn't sign anybody threads.

Wheww...good to see that exactly what people were hoping to happen couldn't make them happy when it did.

YardRat
03-17-2010, 05:29 AM

He admitted as much during a clip on the local news...His job is to eat up linemen and let the LB's make the plays.

ddaryl
03-17-2010, 07:36 AM
the team needs to build a core and start winning and then they can attempt to attract and bring in pro bowl caliber FA's

Not many probowl caliber FA's is going to want to play for a team that is pretty much been rebuilding for 10 years....

DesertFox24
03-17-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't think the sentiment is "we should have gotten better players."

I think it's "let's not cream ourselves for guys who haven't proven they're that caliber."

They got a journeyman who didn't do much for his new team last year, and a career backup who had a good half-season and has a fused spine.
I'm going to see how they do before getting excited about them.

Davis is not a journy man he played 7 years in Cleveland and the signed a good deal with the Broncos, and was still productive.

Edwards started for the ravens in 07, then got hurt and missed all of 08, and then got his starting job back in 09.

These are very good signings, are these guys super stars no, but if you remember correctly Nix and Whaley said they are not going to sign super stars they are going to draft their super stars and pay the guys they draft big money, not someone else. This method is also called the steeler way.

don137
03-17-2010, 08:02 AM
I think the Bears are very very stupid to pay that much for Peppers who is 30 years old who takes games off. Yes, Peppers is a great player for 5 games a year but with the lockout very realistic in 2011 so Peppers is a very risky signing and hurt Chicago when people look back a few years from now. That kind of salary would of crippled Buffalo if they signed Peppers to that contract.

I am thrilled with the Edwards signing. How many players are 3 down players in this league on the defensive line? Plus, you need to keep them fresh so I will take a stud run stuffer to help put the opposition in 3rd and lond instead of 3rd and short.

psubills62
03-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Davis is not a journy man he played 7 years in Cleveland and the signed a good deal with the Broncos, and was still productive.

Edwards started for the ravens in 07, then got hurt and missed all of 08, and then got his starting job back in 09.

These are very good signings, are these guys super stars no, but if you remember correctly Nix and Whaley said they are not going to sign super stars they are going to draft their super stars and pay the guys they draft big money, not someone else. This method is also called the steeler way.

Exactly. Davis didn't help the Broncos? Really? I mean, the defense faltered after their bye week, but considering Denver went from being THE WORST 4-3 defense in the league to being an overall top 10 defense as a 3-4, I'd say Davis helped them out. And that's without any high-profile draft picks helping the defense out.

Mahdi
03-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Not impact or game changing but they allow us the flexibility to draft impact/game changing guys in the draft instead of having to address needs.

Jan Reimers
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM

We are doing exactly what Buddy Nix indicated we would do in free agency. We've signed 3 reliable veterans who will be either be solid starters or good backups. They are all better than at least some of the players we have at their positions.

Anyone looking for a big splash in FA wasn't paying attention to Buddy.

Philagape
03-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Exactly. Davis didn't help the Broncos? Really? I mean, the defense faltered after their bye week, but considering Denver went from being THE WORST 4-3 defense in the league to being an overall top 10 defense as a 3-4, I'd say Davis helped them out. And that's without any high-profile draft picks helping the defense out.

And then they cut him, before his deal was up.

Their top-10 defense was 26th against the run. He was primarily a two-down LB, so no, he didn't help them much.

Third team in three years = journeyman

DesertFox24
03-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Their top-10 defense was 26th against the run. He was primarily a two-down LB, so no, he didn't help them much.

You can lead a donkey to water, but you can not make it drink the water.

No one hear is under the illusion that these signings make this team a playoff contender. However, everyone is on board with the reality that these are good value signings that will make our depth better, competition better, and both guys have been solid starters. These guys are not the answer to our playoff drought, but they will help us if we get the QB and offense solved.

I honestly can not disagree with you more about the journeyman thing, to me journeyman would be best described by Cornell Green, whom was never with a team for more than 3 years. Davis was with one team and started for said team for 7 years.

Philagape
03-17-2010, 10:38 AM

No one hear is under the illusion that these signings make this team a playoff contender. However, everyone is on board with the reality that these are good value signings that will make our depth better, competition better, and both guys have been solid starters. These guys are not the answer to our playoff drought, but they will help us if we get the QB and offense solved.

I honestly can not disagree with you more about the journeyman thing, to me journeyman would be best described by Cornell Green, whom was never with a team for more than 3 years. Davis was with one team and started for said team for 7 years.

He wasn't before but he is now, that's all I care about.

I don't think they're bad signings, but it remains to be seen if they're good ones. Of all people, Bills fans should know how the excitement of signing a FA they've heard of often doesn't reflect how they actually do. Example: the guy everyone wants Davis to replace.

don137
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Denver replaced a good chunk of their defensive line because they were so poor against the run. Defensive lienmen are to contain the OL to free up the LBs to make plays and if the DL does not contain the line of scrimmage and allow the OL to block the linebackers you often have big runs and safetys making tackles. This seems to be the case in Denver last year. I would not put the ineffective run defense in Denver squarely on Davis's shoulders even though he does get a small part of the blame.

Philagape
03-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Denver replaced a good chunk of their defensive line because they were so poor against the run. Defensive lienmen are to contain the OL to free up the LBs to make plays and if the DL does not contain the line of scrimmage and allow the OL to block the linebackers you often have big runs and safetys making tackles. This seems to be the case in Denver last year. I would not put the ineffective run defense in Denver squarely on Davis's shoulders even though he does get a small part of the blame.

I didn't blame him at all. I said he didn't help much. He may not have been a liability, but he wasn't a difference-maker either. Just a mediocrity, which the Bills have plenty of already.

Nighthawk
03-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Which elite FAs?

And did they want to come here?

It is not as easy as throwing money at guys.

And there were very few elite FAs to start with.

I agree. The Bills are doing a very good job in waiting out the FA's until their price comes down...this is a good plan. People complain when the Bills don't have a plan and now it looks like they do and people are still complaining.

better days
03-17-2010, 12:06 PM

I totally agree with you. his arguement just shows how stats can be manipulated. 3 Teams in 3 years=journeyman. 3 Teams in 9 Years= A Good solid player.

Philagape
03-17-2010, 12:37 PM
3 Teams in 9 Years= A Good solid player.

Like Kawika Mitchell?

Same career track. Several years with one team, then one year with another, then the Bills.

better days
03-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Like Kawika Mitchell?

Same career track. Several years with one team, then one year with another, then the Bills.

Good point, but the caveat with Mitchell is Jauron was his HC in Buffalo. My opinion is many guys were on the Bills roster that would not have been with a different HC.

PromoTheRobot
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM

This is why I love coming to BillzSuckZone...they laser-precise analysis.

PTR