• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Are 3-4 DE's Suppose to get Lots of Sacks

Dwan Edwards only has 2 Career sacks and he's been in league since 2004 and had 24 Game Starts.

Serious Question, I'm just interested in understanding the 3-4 compared to 4-3. I understand OLB in the 3-4 get far more sacks than in 4-3. Wondering what primary duty of LDE and RDE in 3-4
  • wmoz11
    • Sep 2008

Re: Are 3-4 DE's Suppose to get Lots of Sacks

Occupy blockers to free up the OLB's for pass rush opportunities and to be a rock in the run game. 3-4 DE's are roughly the size of 4-3 DT's.

Comment

• mrbojanglezs
      • Jan 2010

they have more of a role of stuffing the gaps and stopping the run olb rush more

Comment

• JCBills
        • Jan 2010

No, they aren't, and that's why Bruce Smith was such a freak.

Usually you would expect a 3-4 DE to get as many, maybe a little more sacks than a 4-3 DT.

Dwan Edwards' forte is stopping the run, something we haven't been able to do for a while. He's likely a two down DE on the strong side.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

3-4 defensive ends aren't big time sack masters. They are meant to be run stuffers and take up blocks so the linebackers can run wild. Your big sack numbers come from the outside rush linebacker. What Maybin will be playing supposedly. Different schemes= different production from different players.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
            We play to win the game!
            • Oct 2009

Wow, So Bruce Smith is even more impressive than even thought since his primary job was to stuff run and occupy blockers.

Comment

• JCBills
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83
              Wow, So Bruce Smith is even more impressive than even thought since his primary job was to stuff run and occupy blockers.
              Yeah, though the RDE in a 3-4 will still typically be a little more of a pass-rusher than your LDE in a 3-4, and I think that's when D. Edwards has been playing the majority of the time (LDE). Bruce got moved all over but I think he was mostly on the weak side.

Bruce was one in 10 billion. That 90s Bills defense had a lot of different looks, so in some situations they just let Bruce get loose off the edge, adjusting the other players assignments to let him do what he does better than anyone.
              Last edited by JCBills; 03-17-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JCBills
                No, they aren't, and that's why Bruce Smith was such a freak.

Usually you would expect a 3-4 DE to get as many, maybe a little more sacks than a 4-3 DT.

Dwan Edwards' forte is stopping the run, something we haven't been able to do for a while. He's likely a two down DE on the strong side.

yep. other then Bruce Smith i can't name one DE off the top of my head in a 34 who would get to 10 sacks in a season... ever... even 8 sacks is probably expecting way too much from one. 4 or 5 sacks might be more realistic to expect from an elite DE in a 34

When people talk about Reggie White being the best DE ever, they don't know what they're talking about. Bruce put up better numbers then Reggie over his career, playing a 3x harder position.

Phil Hanson's career numbers might be the best career numbers you'll see on a 34 DE... outside of Bruce Smith. (yes we had some insane talent on those bills teams)
                Last edited by Ingtar33; 03-17-2010, 02:24 AM.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• clumping platelets

We need to reincarnate Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                    short bus extraordinaire
                    • Jul 2002

Bruce was a manimal.
                    Originally posted by yordad
                    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Phil Hansen wasn't too bad himself, either.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

well every defensive player is supposed to make as many defensive plays as possible but normally 3-4 DE's are run stuffers and penetrators to let outside LB's or inside LB's run free.

Comment

• Mahdi
                          • Mar 2004

Dwan Edwards only has 2 Career sacks and he's been in league since 2004 and had 24 Game Starts.

Serious Question, I'm just interested in understanding the 3-4 compared to 4-3. I understand OLB in the 3-4 get far more sacks than in 4-3. Wondering what primary duty of LDE and RDE in 3-4
                          Your typical 3-4 DE does not rack up big numbers. Guys like Richard Seymour are rare seeing as how he gets a lot of sacks.

What you want from your 3-4 DE (5-technique) is to:

1) Tie up blockers in the pass game to allow LBs to take advantage of 1 on 1 match-ups with OTs, TEs and RBs.

2) Block passing lanes and the vision of the QB which delays his decision or bat down passes. It's for this reason 5-technique guys are usually tall and long, rarely are they shorter than 6'4 although there are a few exceptions (Dwan Edwards, Cullen Jenkins).

3) Hold their ground in the run game and force runs to the outside where the LBs can make plays.

Comment

• Mike13
                            • Aug 2005

Randy Starks and Richard Seymour are the only current3-4DEs That come to mind that have put up big numbers.
                            Last edited by Mike13; 03-17-2010, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mike13
                              Randy Starks and Richard Seymour are the only current3-4DEs That come to mind that have put up big numbers.
                              Well there is Darnell Dockett.

Comment

Working...
                              X